Formosa Food

• Vegetarian
Contact 0699-19204294

Barnabitengasse 6, Vienna, Austria, 1060

A little vegetarian restaurant and shop offering mostly vegan Asian food with some other varieties like curry, schnitzel made with soy, veggie burgers and fries. Has vegan desserts. Previously vegan-friendly, now nearly 100% vegan (two items vegetarian) as confirmed by the owner as of May 2011. The shop area sells frozen vegetarian and vegan meat substitutes and even vegan dog food. Located in a quiet side street of the main shopping street Mariahilfstr.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Chinese, International, Asian

First Review by kornfeld

great place for mock meat! - Edit

I usually come here for the mock meat. the menu isn't big but has a good variety. the food is tasty, portions are really big and prices are reasonable! it's also a good place if you wanna try some traditional austrian dish in a vegan version.
location is great as it's just off of one of Vienna's main shopping streets. frequented by mostly young, alternative people but also people working in the area on their lunch break. this is a lovely place especially when the weather is nice as there's outdoor seating. service is great and i usually buy something from the shop before leaving.

thinking that formosa actually means "taiwan", i'm having problems finding taiwanese food on the menu, but that's just me being irritated by the restaurant's name ;)

Pros: taste, location, price

Cons: lack of taiwanese food ;)

Asian Schnitzel! :) - Edit

We were in Wien for tourism, so the first night we looked for a place that opened late and had some "traditional dishes". We tried their Schnitzel and also another kind of schnitzel that had some spinach on it. The last one was better because the simple one was a bit plain. Overall, good food, we had a menu with soup as as starter and then the main with a side. We paid 17,50€ for both of us. It is run by asians, so the food has a asian touch to it. We were happy overall, super full, nice people and not expensive.

Pros: Typical traditional austrian dishes, Open till late, Good food, not expensive for Wien

Cons: Don't go if you don't like mock meat

Nice, but unremarkable - Edit

This place is quite small, with an excellent vegan shop - some very good chocolate, egg replacer, lots of cream cheese, all different kinds of mock meat. We were told that all the food is vegan, but from reading this page I'm not sure if we were misinformed.

We had the vegan goose, because I've never seen that on a menu before, and BBQ duck. The goose was a bit tougher than other mock meats I've had, but it was really good, in a flavoursome sauce with dumplings. The BBQ duck also had good flavours, but there wasn't actually that much mock meat in it, which was disappointing. We also shared a plate of dumplings, which were nice but unremarkable.

The desserts are microwave mug cakes, which was an unusual twist. We shared the chocolate chip crumb cake, and it was really nice, cooked all the way through and topped with the creamiest chocolate ice cream.

Small downside: when we went to pay, we were asked to recite what we'd had, rather than them just checking our bill. This meant looking through the menu again and pointing out what we'd had.

Pros: Some unusual things on menu, Everything well cooked and flavoured, Good shop

Cons: Quite small, Confusing payment system

Best veggie burger I've found in Vienna - Edit

Their veggie chicken burger and fries has become my best love, and the people over there are so friendly, that makes me feel relax and enjoy. and they have a lot of veggie stuff that I have never see in my town.

Pros: people are friendly, good food, Vegan Friendly

Disappointment - Edit

Get great recommendations so went there with friend when visiting Wien, but we get disappointed. Our food (curry and burger) wasn't very tasty, lot of oil in the curry, soup oversalted. Maybe just unlucky pick from menu or bad day in the kitchen, but we weren't very satisfied. Staff was very friendly, bought some great things in their store.

Pros: Location, Store

A true gem for the vegan world - Edit

A middle aged asian couple runs this Store and restaurant, they offer the most creative variety of vegan food, including lifestyle realistic vegan ducks, which you could even stuff. Their selection varies often and depending on the season, and their food tastes perfect, their prices are affordable, and the open kitchen in the restaurant is also a huge plus.

Pros: Good prices., Wide selection, Vegan duck.

Mock Meat all over the place - Edit

Vegan: Damn, never have seen so many kinds of mock meat. Kind of confusing. Mock meat is without declaration - no clue whether its seitan, tofu or artifical something. You need to like that. We had some curry without mock meat. Curry was average.

Pros: Hey, they have vegan stuff!

Cons: Mock Meat all over the place

Great value for your money - Edit

Decent fast food type of restaurant with adorable people running the place.
If you are low on cash and want to get a lot of food for great value I would recommend stopping by this place. Even if the food isn't the greatest but it was enjoyable for what it was, Beware if you are not fond of fast food. Despite decent food options the biggest thing going for the place is that they are selling quite a lot of food items that you wont find elsewhere that is vegan. So I recomend buying some of the candy and sweets you only find there!
They also have a little shop next door with even greater selection!

Pros: Price, Location, Selection

Cons: Generic taste

love - Edit

I love this place so much. I prefer the Thai and Japanese Curry for a meal but the burgers are so juicy and soft! The only food I dislike from there is the cold potato puree that comes with the cordon bleu and the schnitzel, I think. Good for travellers.

HIGHLY RECOMMEND - Edit

These are some of the nicest, most warmhearted strangers I have ever met! I cannot properly express my gratitude to them. I would eat here every day if I got the chance to return to Vienna! Also, the food was yummy and I got to try my first Go Max Go candy bars here!

Pros: kindest staff I've ever met, yummy food, Go Max Go candy bars

Cons: cash only

Friendly staff - Edit

As it's close to my working space I go there quite often and they usually fast and always friendly. They remember faces and food/drink wishes very well :)

Just one con: They don't change the table cloth so often, so I always take a look and if it's dirty I ask for an exchange.

Fast, mostly vegan food with a smile - Edit

The guy here was lovely and kind enough to serve us very close to closing time. We only had a main meal as we were the last in but the service was very friendly and the range of items sold in the attached show is very wide.

Good honest simple food - Edit

The staff at this little cafe are very friendly and knowledgeable about veganism (double check what you order as some dishes are vegetarian). I had polenta triangles with stir-fried veg which was very high quality, although the portion size was quiet small. The shop is connected and has fresh, inexpensive organic veg as well as vegan baked goods.

Pros: quality, friendly, vegan friendly

Cons: portion size

nice little cafe - Edit

We went several times as quite a few other listings in Vienna were shut for August. The food was nice - the menu is mock meat and fast food, so might not be your thing. We had a mock beef with rice and vegetables and a mock duck with mango and salad which were both good. The main dishes all come with a salad or soup, so it was certainly the most reasonable dinner we had out. I saw someone else having the vegan hot dog - that looked pretty good. Did an excellent mango sorbet too. Small seating area indoors and outdoors and has a small shop too. Sells take away vegan pastries too.

Pros: good value, friendly staff , good size portions

Cons: very focused on mock meat

Great, fun, vegan gummi-bears! - Edit

Lots of fun mock-meat things on the menu, chicken burgers, veggie steaks, and schnitzels. The veggies that came with my veggie steaks were cut very large but tasty and fresh. They also have really great vegan pastries. The portions are big and the food pretty good, I wouldn't say excellent but good and the fun-factor definitely adds (that's why we eat mock-meat, right?). The last great thing to say about this place is that they sell vegan gummi bears (and gummy coke bottles, and others)!! I only regret having bought a bag because we couldn't put it down all night and ate way too many gummy treats.

Pros: Good price, Fun, "austrian" food, Good food

something special - Edit

Small, kind & friendly

After 8 years i head my first "Wiener Schnitzel" there and it was really great!!!
The price is low and owners are very willing, but sometimes not easy to understand :-)
They have also a small "vegan" shop where you can buy incredible things to eat - most of all is vegan.

definitely recommendable !!!

Good snacks & drinks - Edit

Stopped by Formosa for mid-afternoon snacks with some friends and was pleasantly surprised. There's outside seating, and I also bought some egg replacer in the shop. It's pretty tiny, but they have things I can't get everywhere (e.g. a refrigerator with mock meat products, mock fish, and vegan cheese).

Pros: friendly, outdoor seating, shop

Cons: very small

Nice restaurant with shop - Edit

It is a restaurant with a small shop inside. The shop offers many fake-meat (even fake-fish) meals and some cakes.
The menu is nice, all-vegan! Each menu contains a salad or a soup, prices moderate.
Only disadvantage: it tastes like any other (non-vegan) asia food restaurant. Very much fat, too much soy sauce

Pros: small shop, large menu

Cons: too fat and salty

My favourite place in whole Austria! - Edit

We went to Vienna some years ago and wanted to visit all veggie restaurants there. We ended up going to the Formosa every day, simply because it's that good. They have lots of meat-like dishes and a fantastic potato salad. Plus the staff is friendly. This is one of our favourite places ever.

Pros: Very tasty, friendly staff

nice little place - Edit

Located in a lively neighbourhood, it is a small shop/restaurant with only a couple of tables. The space could use a bit of freshening up inside, but it's the food that counts! Open till 9 pm.

Large choice of reasonably priced meals and snacks. I had the veg. chicken burger with fries, which was quite nice but not very special. I would love to get back and try some of the full meals.

Pros: fast and good food, friendly staff

Cons: small

highly recommended - Edit

we had lunch there and were happy to see the menu - so many things to choose from!

I had duck noodles with the duck looking too realistic for me. My boyfriend ordered fried chicken with potato salad. Needless to say, we enjoyed or meal there a lot. :) the complementary salad and a watermelon slice was very nice of them.

the prices are around 3.50 EUR for sides and snacks like burgers and wraps, and around 8.50EUR for main courses.

Pros: all-vegan menu, large portions

Cons: chipped plates

Cool place - Edit

Nice little store/restaurant with all vegetarian/vegan food. I ordered the vegan "Cordon Bleu" with a salad. It was pretty good, I wish I could have tried more items. The store sold many vegetarian/vegan goods including pet food. If I am ever in Vienna again I will come back here.

Great if you like mock meat dishes - Edit

Formosa offers a good range of Austrian and Asian mock meat dishes such as Cordon Bleu or mock duck. I liked the Palatschinken with spinach and "Schinken" a lot as well. I always found the dishes quite fatty but if that's what you're looking for, Formosa is the place for you to go.
The prices are cheap and the service always friendly.

Pros: good value, friendly staff

Cons: not very healthy food

Great place!!!! - Edit

This place is great! Mostly Austrian and Asian style dishes. Very affordable. One of my favourite places ever!!!! :-) Menu in English and German. Try the cordon bleu schnitzel!!

Pros: Delicious, Cheap, Friendly service

comfy shop/xsmall restaurant - Edit

in 2007 i was there for the first time. after an 8hour trainride it was the first place we went to. i knew about the fakemeats to buy there from the internet. i had these kind of fakemeats in london already but never find a shop that sells these things so the last day of our holiday we went there buying stuff worth 400euros to bring home n share with our friends... they have a lot of vegan products just about one fridge/freezer had "only" vegetarian stuff.
we ate different things from the menu n price is good for the portions. in 2007 they told us to come back when they have their fresh chocolate donuts made. we went there n got 8 of them. i never had freshly prepaired vegan donuts straight away they were soooo delicious.don't know if they still make them because they had none when we were there last summer.
the cordon bleu is really sth to go for. i wasnt impressed with the potatoe salad too much(im known for the best in the area ;)
there are not more than about 4 tables i think but its just beside a shopping area and perfect if you want to go there for a quick grab.
the staff was always soo friendly and on my second visit they still remembered me(a year after!!!!) i couldnt believe it

Pros: fake meats shopping, friendly staff, cordon bleu/ donuts

Great Dinner Place - Edit

We had trouble finding a place for dinner as many of the vegetarian places in Vienna are closed at night or outside of our price range.

The restaurant is on a great street with about 20 other restaurants, which we thought was great, having been to so many vegetarian restaurants in cities around the world in the middle of nowhere. There is an English menu, which is not particularly informative, (it's probably as informative as the one in German), and the staff speaks no English at all. A young Austrian woman seated next to us, said that even though it sounds a little weird, she recommended the Cordon Blue. However, as people who also keep kosher, we had no idea what it was. (It's vegetarian ham and vegan cheese around a vegan weinershnitzel.)

We also ordered something like Japenese Tofu with vegetables, which was a little spicy, but a terrific sauce. Both dishes were about 7 EU which was less than the other restaurants on the block. The whole neighborhood was a little funky. At the table next to us, the group was sharing a bottle of wine (I think BYOB) and drinking from the bottle. It was actually quite refreshing as most Austrians seem rather straight.

We would definitely go back, in fact we tried to go back the next morning as we picked up our car and drove out of the city to get vegiburgers to go (3 EU) However, we made one wrong turn and ended up getting horribly lost.

Pros: great Asian food, great Austrian food, reasonably priced

Couldn't tell the difference! - Edit

I love this place! (having said that, the service was much better in the evening than midday.) The "no-fish" fish sticks were so authenic, I chanllenge any meat-eater to tell the difference. The portions were huge, I had the Japanese curry, which was surprisingly spicy! My boyfriend had the duck noodles, the duck looked SO realistic! I didn't think it tasted that nice, but he loved it! We sat ouside under the umbrella in a huge thunderstorm, it was really romantic! I would give it 5 out of 5 if the service hadn't been a bit off the second time we visited.

Pros: friendly staff, big portions, lots of choice

VEGAN ICE CREAM!!! - Edit

Wow, we heard about this place from our waitress at Rupp's! They have a bunch of vegan ice cream flavors and cones! A grocery store with tons of vegan sweets. Don't go here w/o your dentist!!!

Pros: vegan sweets, vegan ice cream, grocery items

pleasant little place - Edit

When we went we found it friendly and informal. The food we had was good, I had the japanese curry and my partner a stew with dumplings. They were both full of mock meat that tasted delicious, just like my memories of the real thing that taunt me in my dreams nightly,,,,,,It was exceptional value.

Pros: friendly, tasty, value for money

Cons: none

Ultimate fake meat experience PLUS asian foods - Edit

Formosa has almost two sets of food. There are very real fake meats including vegan chicken cordon bleu, chicken burger and fries etc. and oriental foods like beautiful-looking stir-fry, spring rolls, tofu dishes. Whatever you eat, order a vegan mango lassi coz they're gorgeous.
We've never had any fake meat as realistic as their "chicken" - if you order the cordon bleu you get chicken, slices of ham, slices of cheese all enclosed in crispy breadcrumbs. Many veggies will find this all a bit too much - if you don't like fake meat, order something else because you will not enjoy this at all! We enjoyed it and the potato salad that came with it.
It's on a pedestrianized street so it's nice to sit outside. It's not a bad walk from the MQ, although we had some difficulty locating it - probably easier to stay on the main road until the turn-off.
The serving staff had very limited English and not everything on the menu has been translated. We were quite lucky that an Irish girl who lived in Vienna happened to have just finished her meal and translated for us - thanks, if you're reading this!
The prices were amazingly affordable.
They also have freezers stocked with vegan stuff you can buy.

Pros: 99% Vegan, Price, Ultimate fake meat

Sooo Good - Edit

We were lucky to have vegan friends take us to this place, not really a tourist place at all. It was so good, we couldn't believe it. Had "chicken cordon bleu"; don't order it if very real fake meat freaks you out. It was awesome. Also they have a fridge with lots of cool vegan stuff to take away. No atmosphere here, just good food.

cozy&nice - Edit

i think its the only place in austria were you get these vegan marshmellows. food is good. they sell there also vegan stuff like chocolate and sweets and...and they got the biggest selection of chopmeat i've ever seen.

Pros: directly in center, vegan sweets, friendly

Cons: expensiv

Way too salty, but otherwise good - Edit

Small menu of mostly Chinese food, but some Austrian dishes as well. The food is inexpensive, and well-presented. The spicing is very mild. Everything, though, was so salty that it was hard to eat.

Pros: Friendly staff, Vegan friendly

Cons: Too salty

Return to Vienna Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Formosa Food closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 7111 times since Dec 2007.