Formosa Food

0699-19204294

Barnabitengasse 6, Vienna, Austria, 1060

A little vegetarian restaurant and shop offering mostly vegan Asian food with some other varieties like curry, schnitzel made with soy, veggie burgers and fries. Has vegan desserts. Previously vegan-friendly, now nearly 100% vegan (two items vegetarian) as confirmed by the owner as of May 2011. The shop area sells frozen vegetarian and vegan meat substitutes and even vegan dog food. Located in a quiet side street of the main shopping street Mariahilfstr. Open Mon-Sat 11:00am-9:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Chinese, International, Asian

First Review by kornfeld

Special vegetarian offers in the centre of Wien - Edit

Very cute restaurant in the very centre of Wien. Two small rooms, about 20 seats. Very good offer of meals - 12 various menu with soup or salad and the main dish, mostly vegetarian variant of meat meals. We offered soup (carrot), vegetarian duck with mango and rice + vegetarian chicken schnitzel and potato salad. All very good quality, big portions. The service pleasant. Although the space was full, it was clean and not noisy There is also large offer of stock food to buy. The price is OK.

Pros: Good place in the centre of the city, Friendly staff, Excellent meal

Great selection - Edit

We stopped in just before closing but had enough time to still eat there. We had the veg cutlet with spinach filling and potato salad, and the veg cordon bleu with potato salad. Wow! These were two very, very delicious items. Highly recommend.

Pros: incredible mock meat selections

Good place for mock meat and Asian dishes - Edit

The first time, we arrived 10mins before they closed so they couldn't serve us anymore. However, the guy was extraordinary friendly and gave us a small snack for free. He gave us some suggestions on other places with vegan food which might still be open. We came back the next evening and were received very warmly. My boyfriend and I both took the mango mock duck dish and it was amazing. The mock duck was very crispy and the mango sauce suited it perfectly. We actually came back a third time, because we really liked this restaurant. There is also a small store where you can find various vegan and from Taiwan imported items. I can highly recommend this place!

Updated from previous review on 2016-08-14

Pros: superfriendly staff, delicious food, fair prices

great place for mock meat! - Edit

I usually come here for the mock meat. the menu isn't big but has a good variety. the food is tasty, portions are really big and prices are reasonable! it's also a good place if you wanna try some traditional austrian dish in a vegan version.
location is great as it's just off of one of Vienna's main shopping streets. frequented by mostly young, alternative people but also people working in the area on their lunch break. this is a lovely place especially when the weather is nice as there's outdoor seating. service is great and i usually buy something from the shop before leaving.

thinking that formosa actually means "taiwan", i'm having problems finding taiwanese food on the menu, but that's just me being irritated by the restaurant's name ;)

Pros: taste, location, price

Cons: lack of taiwanese food ;)

Asian Schnitzel! :) - Edit

We were in Wien for tourism, so the first night we looked for a place that opened late and had some "traditional dishes". We tried their Schnitzel and also another kind of schnitzel that had some spinach on it. The last one was better because the simple one was a bit plain. Overall, good food, we had a menu with soup as as starter and then the main with a side. We paid 17,50€ for both of us. It is run by asians, so the food has a asian touch to it. We were happy overall, super full, nice people and not expensive.

Pros: Typical traditional austrian dishes, Open till late, Good food, not expensive for Wien

Cons: Don't go if you don't like mock meat

Nice, but unremarkable - Edit

This place is quite small, with an excellent vegan shop - some very good chocolate, egg replacer, lots of cream cheese, all different kinds of mock meat. We were told that all the food is vegan, but from reading this page I'm not sure if we were misinformed.

We had the vegan goose, because I've never seen that on a menu before, and BBQ duck. The goose was a bit tougher than other mock meats I've had, but it was really good, in a flavoursome sauce with dumplings. The BBQ duck also had good flavours, but there wasn't actually that much mock meat in it, which was disappointing. We also shared a plate of dumplings, which were nice but unremarkable.

The desserts are microwave mug cakes, which was an unusual twist. We shared the chocolate chip crumb cake, and it was really nice, cooked all the way through and topped with the creamiest chocolate ice cream.

Small downside: when we went to pay, we were asked to recite what we'd had, rather than them just checking our bill. This meant looking through the menu again and pointing out what we'd had.

Pros: Some unusual things on menu, Everything well cooked and flavoured, Good shop

Cons: Quite small, Confusing payment system

Best veggie burger I've found in Vienna - Edit

Their veggie chicken burger and fries has become my best love, and the people over there are so friendly, that makes me feel relax and enjoy. and they have a lot of veggie stuff that I have never see in my town.

Pros: people are friendly, good food, Vegan Friendly

Disappointment - Edit

Get great recommendations so went there with friend when visiting Wien, but we get disappointed. Our food (curry and burger) wasn't very tasty, lot of oil in the curry, soup oversalted. Maybe just unlucky pick from menu or bad day in the kitchen, but we weren't very satisfied. Staff was very friendly, bought some great things in their store.

Pros: Location, Store

A true gem for the vegan world - Edit

A middle aged asian couple runs this Store and restaurant, they offer the most creative variety of vegan food, including lifestyle realistic vegan ducks, which you could even stuff. Their selection varies often and depending on the season, and their food tastes perfect, their prices are affordable, and the open kitchen in the restaurant is also a huge plus.

Pros: Good prices., Wide selection, Vegan duck.

Mock Meat all over the place - Edit

Vegan: Damn, never have seen so many kinds of mock meat. Kind of confusing. Mock meat is without declaration - no clue whether its seitan, tofu or artifical something. You need to like that. We had some curry without mock meat. Curry was average.

Pros: Hey, they have vegan stuff!

Cons: Mock Meat all over the place

Great value for your money - Edit

Decent fast food type of restaurant with adorable people running the place.
If you are low on cash and want to get a lot of food for great value I would recommend stopping by this place. Even if the food isn't the greatest but it was enjoyable for what it was, Beware if you are not fond of fast food. Despite decent food options the biggest thing going for the place is that they are selling quite a lot of food items that you wont find elsewhere that is vegan. So I recomend buying some of the candy and sweets you only find there!
They also have a little shop next door with even greater selection!

Pros: Price, Location, Selection

Cons: Generic taste

love - Edit

I love this place so much. I prefer the Thai and Japanese Curry for a meal but the burgers are so juicy and soft! The only food I dislike from there is the cold potato puree that comes with the cordon bleu and the schnitzel, I think. Good for travellers.

HIGHLY RECOMMEND - Edit

These are some of the nicest, most warmhearted strangers I have ever met! I cannot properly express my gratitude to them. I would eat here every day if I got the chance to return to Vienna! Also, the food was yummy and I got to try my first Go Max Go candy bars here!

Pros: kindest staff I've ever met, yummy food, Go Max Go candy bars

Cons: cash only

Friendly staff - Edit

As it's close to my working space I go there quite often and they usually fast and always friendly. They remember faces and food/drink wishes very well :)

Just one con: They don't change the table cloth so often, so I always take a look and if it's dirty I ask for an exchange.

Fast, mostly vegan food with a smile - Edit

The guy here was lovely and kind enough to serve us very close to closing time. We only had a main meal as we were the last in but the service was very friendly and the range of items sold in the attached show is very wide.

Good honest simple food - Edit

The staff at this little cafe are very friendly and knowledgeable about veganism (double check what you order as some dishes are vegetarian). I had polenta triangles with stir-fried veg which was very high quality, although the portion size was quiet small. The shop is connected and has fresh, inexpensive organic veg as well as vegan baked goods.

Pros: quality, friendly, vegan friendly

Cons: portion size

nice little cafe - Edit

We went several times as quite a few other listings in Vienna were shut for August. The food was nice - the menu is mock meat and fast food, so might not be your thing. We had a mock beef with rice and vegetables and a mock duck with mango and salad which were both good. The main dishes all come with a salad or soup, so it was certainly the most reasonable dinner we had out. I saw someone else having the vegan hot dog - that looked pretty good. Did an excellent mango sorbet too. Small seating area indoors and outdoors and has a small shop too. Sells take away vegan pastries too.

Pros: good value, friendly staff , good size portions

Cons: very focused on mock meat

Great, fun, vegan gummi-bears! - Edit

Lots of fun mock-meat things on the menu, chicken burgers, veggie steaks, and schnitzels. The veggies that came with my veggie steaks were cut very large but tasty and fresh. They also have really great vegan pastries. The portions are big and the food pretty good, I wouldn't say excellent but good and the fun-factor definitely adds (that's why we eat mock-meat, right?). The last great thing to say about this place is that they sell vegan gummi bears (and gummy coke bottles, and others)!! I only regret having bought a bag because we couldn't put it down all night and ate way too many gummy treats.

Pros: Good price, Fun, "austrian" food, Good food

Return to Vienna Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Formosa Food closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.