Fellinis

Contact 015394-33845

Church Street, Ambleside, Ambleside, England, LA22 0BD

A modern 'Vegeterranean' restaurant, featuring seasonal vegetarian food with a Mediterranean slant. Same owners as Zeffirellis. Booking advised. Cinema above restaurant screens arthouse and niche film productions.

Category: Lacto, Ovo, Western, Wine

First Review by upior

Fabulous Vegan Food In A Modern Vegetarian Restaurant - Edit

We were staying at Fellinis sister venue Ambleside Manor on a three night break, including dinner one night at Fellinis, not your run of the mill vegetarian restaurant, it is modern with contemporary furnishings.

Fellinis offers a Mediterranean menu, with a good selection of vegan and gluten free options, clearly marked, with an impressive twenty two vegan wines on the list. Soup of the day was cauliflower, served with sun-dried tomato bread, a waiter quickly confirmed the bread was soya free, so it was an easy choice, as I love cauliflower. I chose seasonal vegetables and cashews in ginger almond sauce, for a main course, as I adore this kind of dish, so light, yet packed with flavour.

Who could resist chocolate mousse for dessert, served with caramelised pistachios and strawberries, even more amazing it was made with avocado, it was so smooth, you would swear it contained cream it was rich and lush, chocolate heaven, but light to end the meal.
I would imagine a good proportion of diners were not even vegetarian, but with food this good, I doubt whether anyone would miss meat or fish, the food is so polished.

Updated from previous review on 2016-10-31

Pros: Vegan Options Clearly Marked, Vegan wines a plenty, Fine Dining But Casual Atmosphere

GOURMET FOOD, Fine dining - Edit

Interesting dish we ate with vegan apricot meat loaf. It was delicious. We went here for our honeymoon. formal fine dining area. We were here mid Feb 2015

Pros: Vegan options, Interesting dishes, Friendly staff

Cons: Expensive

Fancy - Edit

Fellinis is generally more upmarket and pretentious than Zeffirellis; dishes with French names, experimental food combinations etc. Having said that, the food is usually delicious so there's not much to complain about. It is rather more expensive than Zeffirellis as you'd expect. It too has a cinema upstairs. The wheelchair accessible toilet isn't up to much; the fancy ones downstairs are suitably sophisticated.
Updated from previous review on Tuesday January 20, 2015

Pros: Very tasty food, nice ambience, cinema

Excellent meal. - Edit

Nice restaurant with pleasant and helpful staff. There were plenty of vegan and coeliac options, and the food was excellent.
One to try.

Pros: Good food and pleasant dining environment.

Cons: There was only one vegan desert, but it was very g

Many vegan options if you ask what's vegan-izable - Edit

Fellinis is a lovely vegetarian restaurant nearby Grasmere and Rydal (where visiting Wordsworth's houses are a MUST!) that has many vegan options and a really lovely ambience. The food was very good, if not a little pricey for the amount that you get. I had a delicious fennel risotto and a delicious seasonal salad. However, and I sometimes find this at vegetarian restaurants, the menu didn't label which dishes could be made vegan. The menu had a couple fully vegan options in the starters section, a couple in the side dishes and a couple perhaps somewhere else, but of the five main dishes, not one was marked as vegan or vegan-izable. After asking the server, I learned that three out of five entrees could indeed be made vegan, but if I hadn't asked, I wouldn't have known that. At the end of the meal, I suggested that the menu key also mark dishes that can be made vegan, because not everybody knows that they can ask for that. They had only one vegan dessert (it was a seasonal crisp when we were there) with sorbet, but it definitely felt like all the attention went to their non-vegan desserts. Overall, it was a good experience, and we were happy to be there and happy to support them.

Pros: many vegan options, lovely ambiance, good food

Cons: food a little pricey, menu didn't label vegan-izable items, minimal attention to vegan desserts

Not great for vegans - Edit

Just to say, that this one isn't great for vegans. We chose not to eat here because there was only one vegan option on quite a large menu - everything was very cheesy etc vegetarian.

Pros: Vegetarian

Cons: Needs more vegan options

Bellisimo! - Edit

Fabulous place, a bit more upmarket than Zefferellis (owned by the same people). The cinema and meal deal is fantastic value but do be warned. adding wine can really bump the price up! Had fantastic service the last time we were there and the food was delicious. It's not somewhere to go if you're starving, the portions are on the haute cuisine side but for a special occasion Fellinis is wonderful, highly recommended.

Pros: Gorgeous Food, Meal and film deal, Great Service

Cons: Slightly expensive drinks

With fantasy - Edit

When we arrived to the restaurant there were no free tables however there is a bar upstairs where we had a drink while waiting.
The food we ordered was very colourful, the vegan options are not marked, I don't think there were too many however they made some adjustments to make the dishes vegan. I had mushrooms for the starter (the sauce had to be different that the one in the menu) dish looked fantastic and it tasted even better (a little too oily thou). For the main course I took staffed cabbage which looked very fresh (vegetables where only steamed) and the taste was fantastic as well.
I would really recommend this restaurant.

Pros: very fresh food, very good service

Cons: starter a little too oily

Return to Ambleside Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Fellinis closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2214 times since Sep 2009.