REMOVED: El Zarape

Contact 619-692-1652

4642 Park Blvd (at Adams), San Diego, California, USA, 92116

Serves meat, vegan options available. Update: In October 2010, it was reported to happycow that their beans and flour tortillas are made with lard. Offers some vegetarian options including potato rolled tacos. Note that most dishes have cheese, so vegans need to specify. Reported that rice is made with chicken stock, Nov 2015. Removed due to poor veg options, Nov 2015. Open Mon 8:00am-11:00pm, Tue-Sun 8:00am-2:00am.

Category: Lacto, Ovo, Fast food, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by breathingwater

Delicious and Hip and therefore crowded - Edit

Let me start off by saying, this restaurant is not a vegetarian restaurant, but has some great vegetarian options.

I was lead to this restaurant by a drunken friend. He knows who he is. Getting in line at the door of this Mexican adobe and ceramic tile place, you wouldn't expect to find vegetarian options let alone a section of the menu that says "Vegetarian" or the cashier to say "Do you want the Vegetarian Combo?" But you are pleasantly surprised at the sensitivity and it becomes clear how "hipster" University Heights is.

With the long line to get to the register, you could expect to have a long wait to actually get your food, so I couldn't get too upset. We get the food to go and I open the taco to find it it mostly squash and zucchini and it was good, but then I open the burrito with its black beans, rice, cheese, and mixed grilled veggies and I was in heaven.

I haven't had everything on the vegetarian menu, but what I did have, was great. I will say that, even with two cashiers and two cooks, they are understaffed for a shift that seems like their busiest.

Veg Out,

Veggie Army
(Coming soon - VeggieArmy.com)

Pros: Good food, Good Vegetarian Section of Menu, Hip Young Crowd

Cons: Crowded, Understaffed - untidy, Long wait

not suited for vegans - Edit

Almost everything has lard or is cooked with chicken broth, we were offered salad, but no entrees for vegans. There are many other Mexican restaurants in San Diego to eat at that cater to vegans.

Cons: lard in beans and tortillas, rice and potatoes have animal products

chicken broth in rice - Edit

Just an fyi, when we ordered a vegi supreme burrito last night the guy asked if we were vegan, when we said "yes" he told us the rice is cooked in chicken broth. I also wonder if the seasoned potatoes are cooked in the same chicken broth. He told us the beans were okay for vegans.

Cons: not vegan

Delicious! - Edit

So good I can't eat mexican anywhere else without feeling slightly disappointed. My favorite is the low-fat veggie burrito. So fresh and tasty with fewer calories. Their potatoe tacos and soy tacos are also amazing. Ooh and their hot carrots are good.

Pros: great food, healthier options, good location

Cons: gets busy, styrofoam plates

So yummy! - Edit

I found this place years ago when I lived in SD. I love the veggie supreme burrito. I take off the dairy and it's vegan. Also the potato rolled tacos with guacamole are super delicious. Great area and the people have always been very nice. The restaurant is cute & prices good. What always made me go back is the salsa. I love it!

Pros: Salsa, Food, Prices

O.K. - Edit

The past 3 times I ate there at least one of my "potato" rolled tacos has been chicken or beef. My friend ordered a bean tostada and discovered a hug mound of chicken hidden beneath the lettuce. I will not eat there ever again.

Return to San Diego Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has REMOVED: El Zarape closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2276 times since Aug 2007.