El Patio

• Veg-friendly
Contact 505-268-4245

142 Harvard Dr SE, Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA, 87106

Serves meat, vegan options available. Has vegetarian options that can be made vegan. The chiles and beans are vegan. Try the spinach enchiladas.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Beer/Wine, Mexican, Non-veg

First Review by Retro Housewife

Great Vegan-friendly New Mexican food - Edit

El Patio is our favorite restaurant for veg-friendly New Mexican Food. Item number 0, the veggie enchiladas, is fantastic. Not sure if it is vegan by default (might have cheese?), but the waiters know what vegan means and can modify many dishes to be vegan upon request. The staff and owner are super friendly.

Pros: vegan-friendly, nice staff

One of best New Mexican vegan cuisines - Edit

I live in Albuquerque and as a vegan this is, I think, the very best for sampling New Mexico's state specific cuisine. The chile is divine and if you order number 0 (that is what it is on the menu) you will be quite pleased. You do need to remember to order it without cheese. I order it smothered in Red Chile (divine!). The tortillas are blue corn. The potatoes are not fried and really good. Beans are great too!

Bad service - Edit

Okay, I had to do a total update today. Last time I went there the food was good, nice patio seating, plenty of vegan options, no issues.

I tried to go today, but we were ignored for 15 minutes (as other tables around us who were seated after us were served) so we gave up and left. That was annoying, but I guess the servers were overworked or distracted or something. However, as we quietly stood up to leave, the man who should have been our server smiled at us as we left. It felt VERY unwelcoming. I don't know what the issue was, but I won't be back. It was very disappointing.

Updated from previous review on Friday April 17, 2015

Pros: Vegan options, Nice patio

Cons: Service, Parking can be a hassle downtown

Abuse - Edit

The food is actually pretty good, as are the employees. However the owner is very abusive to his employees. If he happens to be in a bad mood or someone makes a minor mistake, he is verbally and emotionally abusive, screaming at you over the phone. I attribute this to personality and alcoholism. His son, who comes in to work occasionally, drinks on the job and drives away drunk. I am an avid supporter of local businesses, but I will never be a patron of this place knowing that the owner takes advantage of his position of "power" by mistreating his employees who are just trying to make a living.

Pros: friendly and efficient staff, real honey, Good sopapillas

Cons: abusive owner, use hands to serve chips and lettuce

Delicious!! - Edit

This was my first visit to Albuquerque and I'm thrilled to have found El Patio! I love spicy flavorful food and this green sauce was AMAZING! I had the blue corn enchiladas. I was in need of a hearty protein meal and there were plenty of beans & potatoes to fill me up and clean up all the extra green sauce. Thanks for the friendly service too! :-) Oh, I had take out since it was getting late and I wanted to enjoy in the peace of my hotel room. Unlike what many have said - they do accept credit cards. :-)

Pros: tasty food, quick service, vegan options

Love it - Edit

El Patio is one of my fav restaurants in ABQ. Not the hottest chile in town, but great flavor. Great vegetarian adaptations of NM classics.

Pros: Staff, Food

Cons: Can get crowded, as its not big.

Love it! - Edit

I love El Patio! Not only is rare to find New Mexican chili in a restaurant that has no meat products in it, but it's also some of the best NM food in town. I love taking visitors there who have only been to Sadie's or the other tourist traps. They all say El Patio is so much better! Great vegan options, and I have been told on multiple occasions that the sopapillas are vegan, so maybe the other reviewer just got a new waiter that day. They also accept Credit Cards now.

Pros: Good food, hole in the wall atmosphere, live guitar some evening

The Best in Albuquerque! - Edit

I first went to El Patio when I was visiting here trying to decide to move. It was my first experience of New Mexican food and I was sold. The burrito with green and red chile sauce is amazingly good, but definitely not for someone who doesn't like spice. I'd recommend this place to anyone. My Husband gets the stuffed sopapilla with red sauce and loves it. Now that
we live here we try to eat here about twice a month.

*Update - they take credit/debit cards now!
Updated from previous review on Monday May 03, 2010

Pros: Great Chile Sauce, Live Music, Good Value

Cons: Small , Crowded

Mediocre food in a dishonest atmosphere! - Edit

EL Patio has Mediocre New Mexican food and they only take cash! Cash only isn't posted anywhere. At the end of the meal you are told to use the fee charging ATM in the back of the restaurant. ONE WORD! SCAM! My food was overcooked, the cheese was hard, like it had been microwaved to long. I will not be returning.

Pros: Location, clean bathroom, patio

Cons: bad service, cash only, mediocre food

Great food but no vegan sopapillas(?) - Edit

I was excited to try the vegan sopapillas that everyone here raved about, but our waitress told us that they are not vegan. So I ordered a veggie combo and the bean taco and avocado burrito were the superstars of this platter. Nice outdoor patio. Overall a good experience

Pros: bean taco, avocado burrito, patio

Cons: are sopapillas vegan?

Very New Mexican - Edit

I love this place. About half the menu is vegetarian with some vegan options. The green chili rocks- if you are not used to some heat, get it on the side. The Vegetarian Burrito with avocado is my favorite, much lighter than the other dishes. This is a local favorite with it's own unique atmoshere.

Pros: great food, good value, genuine New Mexican

Killer New Mexican Food! - Edit

As a native New Mexican, there are few places I recommend as the real deal. For over 15 years El Patio is one of them and absolutely the most veg-friendly restaurant in ABQ for NM cuisine. My carnivorous friends love it too! The place is a landmark and always busy due to their consistently good food.

Pros: Delicious meatless Red a Green chile, Consistent, Mexican beer!

Return to Albuquerque Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has El Patio closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3741 times since Aug 2007.