El Laurel

• Vegetarian
Contact +34-923260601

Calle San Pablo 49, Salamanca, Spain,

Wide range of vegetarian dishes inspired by Spanish cuisine. Set menu includes two main courses, a dessert, and a beverage. Vegan options, although no vegan desserts.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Spanish

First Review by BroekinRecord

Highly recommendable - Edit

Vegetarian/Vegan restaurant with a nice atmosphere and delicious food. Probably the best in the city. It's always packed, so you would need to book in advance (1 day before is usually OK). Portions are abundant and dishes are quite elaborated and tasty. Not too pricey. Probably they could do with another waiter (only 1 when I was there), but the service is excellent. Must try!

El Laurel - Positives to Tell - Edit

Popular and busy restaurant (when we visited it was full, but it was easy to book for the next day). A good selection of menu items and everything we had was high quality. I had what was probably the best Gazpacho soup I've ever eaten - totally delicious. Really nice decor - fresh, modern and clean. Definitely recommended.

The only comment to add is that there's not an entirely clear distinction between starters and main dishes - and portion sizes are good. So it's worth considering ordering a range of things to share, rather than necessarily each having 'your own' dishes. As some things that would be great to share, might not be as enjoyable to have on your own. For example, one of us ordered mushroom croquettes - which were delicious, but they were served on their own and quite rich and there were quite a few to get through single-handedly.
Updated from previous review on Sunday September 13, 2015

Pros: Good range of options, Good portions, Great decor

Original Spanish vegetarian food - Edit

We really liked this restaurant. When I go to a restaurant on vacation I always like to have local dishes but it's often difficult to find local food that is also vegetarian. This is especially difficult in Spain and Portugal. This restaurant however served a wide range of really good local and tasty vegetarian dishes. Everything was really fresh. The restaurant has a very nice atmosphere. The staff is very friendly as well.

Vegetarian Restaurant - Edit

The restaurant is clean and recently renovated, it is located near the San Esteban Church. It is not vegan, many plates are made with cheese. We took a mixed salad made with fresh lettuce and tomates, cannelloni filled with seitan in a tomato sauce and melted cheese, vegetarian moussaka with melted cheese on it. We spent 16 euro each with two biers.
It's not a 5 star but good enough.

Well worth a visit - Edit

This restuarant is in a good location, fairly near to the Old Cathedral. I didn't find it difficult to find. However, as the outside is not lit up too well, it may be difficult to see from afar. Inside it is very fresh and bright. The waitress is very nice and speaks very clearly. Despite me having very limited Spanish, I was able it understand most of what she was explaining. English is at the back of the menu card for those who need it. The food here is good quality and there is a good variety. However, there does seem to be a limited amount of vegan dishes. We ordered the 'Menú Degustación', a vegetarian dish with bits of everything. This turned out to be a great choice and left our big appetites feeling well satisfied. It consisted of seitan, tofu, cheese dish, egg dish, salad, paella. For desert, the waitress recommend we go for the vanilla ice-cream and white chocolate soufflé. What a great recommendation that turned out to be. It was delicious, perhaps the best desert I ever tasted. We also tried the tiramisu which was lovely too. The glass of wine that came with the menu we ordered was good quality too. The brown bread was lovely too. And the nice liquorice and mint tea at the end helped settle our stomachs after our feast. If you are sick of getting rubbish veggie food when travelling, this will be a pleasant surprise, especially in a country which is renowned for it's meat-eating. Total for two came to just over €35. One of my favourite restaurants ever visited. Definitely well worth a visit. Lovely waitress, good food, clean eatery, etc.

Pros: Good variety and quality food, Lovely waitress, Central location

Cons: Not too many vegan options

Delicious food and nice ambiance - Edit

We ate at El Laurel in October 2013. We had made a reservation for 8:00 pm, probably unnecessary, as most Spanish diners start out at 9:00 or later. The staff was friendly, and the food - vegan paella and vegetarian spaghetti bolognese - was delicious.

Pros: friendly service, delicious food

Very Good! - Edit

Awesome restaurant!!!

Most of the menu is Vegan, very tasteful and large meals.
I enjoyed a lot, in particular the Faux Gras and the main dishes!!

Pros: Quality, Price

Cons: Better if you make a reservation

Busy - book in advance - Edit

Tip: book in advance. I rocked up one day and they were full for their entire open time. I would have liked to try this place but never got the chance.

I'm giving a five star rating because I don't want to skew the current rating but I know nothing about the place except that it looks well presented. (Also thinking it must be good if it's so busy)

Cons: Need to book!

fantastic Vegetarian cuisine!!! - Edit

Whew! This place is fantastic!! In a lovely country full of jamón, this is an oasis for anyone needing solid vegetarian cuisine. Absolutely delicious menu. A vegan option here and there (not specified on menu) but mostly straight up vegetarian with a lot of cheese. Go here!! You won't be sorry! Sangria is good, too!! You might need reservations and also check the hours.

Pros: portions are plentiful, excellent hummus, great service

Return to Salamanca Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has El Laurel closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2847 times since Sep 2012.