Earth Cafe and Market - Jalan Guatama Selatan

Contact 03617385545

Jalan Guatama Selatan (at Jalan Hanuman), Bali, Indonesia,

Est. 2012 this vegetarian cafe and market is part of the Down to Earth company. Downstairs is the health food shop and second floor is the restaurant. Serves a variety of veggie dishes and beverages. Earthy decor with all laminated bamboo furniture. Market sells health products like grains, beans, dry fruit oil, raw snacks and cakes, cosmetics, household products, organic clothing Open Mon-Sat 7:00am-10:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, International, Western, Delivery, Indonesian

First Review by claireabella

Good brunch - Edit

We came here for a late breakfast and tried buckwheat pancakes and acai bowl. Both were healthy but those pancakes were better. Quite pricey and the acai had weird consistency and also it took too long to get them. Place was nice and staff was friendly.

Pros: Good for breakfast, Many vegan options, Healthy

Cons: Slow service , Pricey

Not overly impressed - Edit

We visited Earth Café and Market on our first day in Ubud, and had already eaten at Zula in Sanur, and my first impression was that Earth Café was pretty much the same, with the same menu as Zula, only the shop had more selection, and there was also Paradiso and a clothing store. The staff weren't that helpful and we didn't end up eating there. I was feeling a bit disgruntled which is why maybe I wasn't feeling the good vibes at the café. At Paradiso, the cinema, there were no movies being screened that interested me , but for $5 you can watch a movie and included in that is also food from Earth Café, which is a pretty good deal!

A Must Visit Location - Edit

I absolutely love this place!! The options are endless and you WILL come back for more!
It's a little pricey compared to the other local food, but it is worth it.

Pros: Lots of vegan options, Huge Menu, Nice vibe

Cons: Little bit expensive

Le top - Edit

Super endroit, où nous sommes retournés à chaque fois que nous sommes allés à Ubud, c'est à dire souvent!

Les jus sont à tomber, les plats sont délicieux, les desserts sont succulents!

Un repaire pour veggies en vacances!

Pros: Great food and choice, Great ambience

Lovely airy setting - Edit

We enjoyed our visit here and would like to have been able to come a few more times to try different dishes. We had the Dragon Bowl which was expensive and just big amounts of plain raw salad ingredients with a small amount of dressing on the side. We enjoyed that it was fresh but a bit uninspiring. The staff were friendly and we loved the upstairs location with the breeze and trees.
Would make different food choices next time for something with more oomph.

Pros: Lovely staff, Great setting and location

Cons: Pricy

Mostly about the local lip balm they sell... - Edit

I came here specifically for lip balm because I lost mine. They had two brands only—Madre Bees and a local one. I bought the latter and definitely would not recommend it. The ingredients are good, but I suspect the high ratio of coconut oil renders it very melty and awkward to use in the heat of Indonesia. Also picked up a bottle of bug spray, which seemed to work a lot better.

I did check out the restaurant menu too but found it pricey and not very exciting. There're many other cheaper and better options in Ubud.

Cons: pricey restaurant

endless choices of vegan food - Edit

I have tried at least 5 dishes in my time visiting Bali
All leaving me feeling full and satisfied .

I remember having the zatarr avocado , rice dish , tofu sandwich.

They were all so yummy.

THEIR BALLS AND CAKES ARE ALSO ABSOLUTE DIVINE.

They have a section where they sell superfood , health products, vegan products.

really love this place

CAKE - Edit

Had afternoon tea here consisting of an Ice Coffee with soy milk and the Tofu Lemon Cheesecake. Both were beautiful. The cheesecake was more like lemon whipped cream in consistency but I am not complaining about that at all. The coffee was also wonderful though could have been stronger, but I love strong coffee so maybe that is just me. Can be a little expensive but I truly think it is worth it here

Pros: Cheesecake

Cons: Price

Fresh, healthy fare - Edit

As previous reviews have stated this isn't the cheapest place to eat in Ubud, however the food is amazing. It's really fresh and the portions are generous. The staff are friendly and know the difference between vegan and vegetarian - which isn't always the case in Indonesia. There are a good selection of vegan deserts and the menu has a great selection of vegan and vegetarian food. If you're a vegetarian or vegan and you're visiting Ubud eating here is a must.

Pros: The food!, Great atmosphere, Friendly staff

Ridiculously expensive - Edit

I was quite shocked at the pricing here. The most expensive place we ate at in our 2 months in Indonesia. The food was tasty, at least the portions were filling, or maybe it was just the bread. I'm glad it filled me up. The ginger beer was quite bitter and not what i was expecting. Tasty but maybe a bit over the top with pricing.

Pros: filling

Cons: expensive

Beautiful food but it comes at a price - Edit

Earth Cafe is absolutely delicious, from their stir-fries to their burgers and fresh juices! Everything about this menu is fresh and exciting. It's also super easy to be a vegan and eat here as majority of the menu is vegan and the staff were super helpful in clarifying for me what was and wasn't vegan. All organic food, however, of course it is certainly not the cheapest place in town.

Incredible Concept, Executed Superbly - Edit

The food is all vegetarian, with a lot of it being vegan with many raw options (and gluten-free, if you care about such things). Their menu is massive. I had the Dragon salad with sprouted sourdough bread (and pumpkin butter) and mexican black bean soup. All delicious.
Updated from previous review on Tuesday October 13, 2015

Pros: Varied, international menu, High quality, Can eat in cinema

Cons: Not all vegan

Awesome - Edit

They have so many rawfood options on the menu, just awesome! All the meals we tried are that delicious!
The shop downstairs is also great. You'll find a huge variety of healthy snacks and other products.

Simply Amazing! - Edit

I only discovered this wonderful cafe the morning of my departure but I'm glad I did!

I had the granola bowl with cashew milk and fresh fruit. It was hands down the best home made granola I have ever had (including my own)! The portion was huge, it was a bit hard to finish it all even.

The decor and ambiance were lovely as well. I really loved that they had a shop downstairs with a lot of their products available for purchase.

I have highly recommended this cafe to my friends. I hope everyone stops in! Their menu selection is HUGE. I'd love to have something like this in China where I live! :)

Great if you have many allergies - Edit

This is the first time I've eaten at a restaurant and not had an allergic reaction, albeit it is the first time I've been to this sort of place! I have gluten, soya, yeast, dairy and carbohydrate intolerance and so you can imagine I rarely eat out!

Pros: So many options, Choices to combat health problems, Make your own salad

Cons: Expensive for Bali (but still cheap!)

omgghdd!! - Edit

So many vegan options, pretty much fully vegan....sooo close. Food is decent to awesome. Lots of options and sitting areas, plus extras ;)

Pros: great music, music to buy, vegan lifestyle related products , lots of seating and free wifi

Cons: only con is that they could be fully vegan...so cl

Nice cafe - Edit

Nice cafe just of Jl Hanuman.

We visited a couple of times during our trip to Ubud. Excellent service and friendly staff, and a great selection of dishes.

We got vegan cashew ice cream which was delicious. We also got a middle eastern plate, which was quite good too.

Desserts are clearly labelled as being vegan friendly, raw, wheat or gluten free. Would be great if the place had mored cooked vegan desserts!

So disappointing - Edit

I had the tempeh reuben, which was a good tempeh sandwich, but if you put it in front of me and asked me to guess what it was, I would never say a reuben. It didn't look like one, it didn't taste like one. But it was still good. So there's that.

Then I ordered a soy java "shake" but it was more like they shook up some chocolate powder with some soy milk - it was not thick at all like one would expect a shake to be, nor was it very cold. It was far from a satisfying dessert.

lovely place - Edit

an incredible place,with a large number of different dishes to eat delicious (salads,quinoa coconut curry,sweet potato...mmmmm!!!!)
and the people who work there are lovely and wonderful!!!!!!!❤️❤️❤️

My favorite vegan cafe in Ubud! - Edit

Loved this place, we visited almost everyday even if it was just for one of their smoothies, and some takeaway raw almond brittle.
The menu is extensive, with most options being vegan. From Indonesian to Mexican options available to everything in between. Breakfast options from granola fruit bowls, to scrambled tofu. The smoothies are excellent, as was all the food. The planet platter being one of my favorite, based on a Macro diet. The desserts were excellent too, with the enormous chocolate brownie being a favorite.
Peanut butter balls, and bounty balls are a good T/A dessert option.
Enjoy!

Pros: Great location, and cafe, Excellent food, and good value, Clean, fresh, and a great atmosphere

Cons: Service could be a bit better

Stomach problems - Edit

I went to this place in the evening. Even though not many customers it took more than 30 min until my order arrived at the table. I had a raw bluberry pie and a raw cashew mushroom soup. Later at night I woke up because my belly was hurting. I think one of the dishes was bad. I felt weak and sick next day and couldn't eat anything. That never happened to me in Zula. The raw cashew soup I can't recommend because it was quite expensive but I made better raw mushroom soup myself already The pie wad nice but I could have skipped that without missing much. Seems raw desserts are better in other places. Maybe better just go there for juice.

Pros: nice location in quiet side street, healthy raw food for take away

Cons: food was gone off, expensive

A decent vego cafe - Edit

We visited here on a few occasions and overall found the food to be quite good. As others have outlined it is a sister cafe to Zula down in Seminyak. I don't feel it lives up to the level of Zula as we ate their multiple times as well and here is just not as good.
Although it isn't as good you can still get some good healthy dishes and it is a very relaxing environment. The falafels are the best we tried.

Pros: Nice atmosphere, Falafel dish

Cons: A bit expensive for what you get

Great Israeli food - Edit

One of the few vegetarian options in Ubud. The highlights of the menu are the Isreali items such as falafels and Jerusalem sandwich (like a gyro). Outside of the Middle Eastern fare, the Reuben sandwich is tasty. Other items are hit or miss. Don't be enticed by the omelet--it's actually nothing like an omelet at all but two unseasoned blocks of tofu. Other than the seitan in the Jerusalem which is fried in slivers and well seasoned with caramelized onions, seitan is not their specialty and comes out as a soggy sponge. 3 vegan deserts (other items use honey) all of which are very dense and lacking in other respects.

Prices are somewhat expensive for what you get--ordered their honey bee seitan steak dish (nothing to do with honeybee at all by the way) which in the picture looked like two big slices of seitan plus the sides, but in reality was only one small piece of seitan. Bit of false advertising there. On top of this they add a 15% service fee+tax. They do a Sunday all you can eat buffet for 100K per head.

Servers are nice, helpful, knowledgeable about vegan cuisine, and accommodating with replacements for condiments that are not vegan. If you take the choice balcony seating that is somewhat out of their view, you will have to flag them down a bit.

Pros: great Israeli food-different from others, nice servers, nice setting

Cons: expensive, many items are so-so, vegan deserts not good

Thumbs up to Down to Earth Cafe! - Edit

Had lunch here and it was fantastic!

Very clean, relaxed cafe that also sells clothing and wholefood supplies such as lentils, quinoa, coconut oil, a selection of toiletries and cosmetics and supplies (including natural mosquito repellent!).

My wrap was divine and wholesome.
I had a wheatgrass shot which was great too.

Friendly staff and a very nice atmosphere.

Highly recommend!

Pros: Price, Menu, Clean

Nice Restaurant whit excellent food - Edit

It is very relaxed up here and all the food I had here was very good. If you are really hungry, the falafel sandwich is huge and one of the best I had. The other dishes where often a bit small but delicious. Don't miss the home made Gingerbeer (no alcohol) - its amazing!

Pros: Different types of Tables, Corner for kits, Friendly Staff

Cons: The value has its price

Large veg / vegan cafe, great food! - Edit

This upstairs cafe is large and has a store on the ground floor selling dry goods, cosmetics, books, dips etc.

It is actually located on Jalan Dewi Sita, just near the corner of Jalan Hanoman. South of one of the key streets in Ubud, Jalan Raya Ubud.

Sister cafe to the very good Zula vegetarian paradise located in Seminyak. DTE has an identical menu to Zula, with a few additions, namely desserts.

I've eaten at Zula many times so I chose the Indian plate at DTE as it's not available down south. It's a large meal: Rice, samosa, chutney, palak and a big bowl of Dahl. The samosa is moist and tasty with the usual suspects for fillings. Certainly not as spicy as those sold in India, but still great. I think the chutney is tamarind based rather than the traditional mango. Delicious and sweet but not overly so. Palak (spinach) was mildly spiced, as it should be.

Unfortunately, the Dahl is one of the most disappointing dishes I've tasted in a very long time. Lentils had sunk to the bottom of a bland and watery soup. Nothing like the cheap and cheerful staple of a billion people. No rich, thick lentils here.

I would have loved to have tried a dessert but most of them had honey listed as an ingredient. There was a gorgeous berry slice of pie laden with fruit but I couldn't eat another thing. As mentioned, there were additional desserts available in comparison to Zula. The little crusted fruit cups looked fantastic.

I'm presuming that the food is of the same high quality as the dishes at Zula. Zula has great food from all over the globe. (Happy cow has a number of reviews available.) DTE is newer and a little more sterile than it's cousin. Service was a little patchy and I had to leave the balcony to get the staff's attention to order. The staff we lovely and happy. Prices have recently increased on around half the menu for both cafes.

Despite these downfalls, (I'm probably being a little overly critical) ,DTE is a wonderful cafe. It's almost vegan apart from the honey in the desserts. It should be a little easier to grab a table here during peak lunch periods than at Zula. Enjoy, it's good.

Updated from previous review on Saturday June 30, 2012

Pros: Huge global menu, Healthy vegan food, Zula's cousin! :)

Cons: Price increases, Atmosphere not as homely as at Zula

Return to Bali Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Earth Cafe and Market - Jalan Guatama Selatan closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 5813 times since May 2012.