Dosa-N-Curry

Contact 617-764-3152

447 Somerville Ave (at School St), Somerville, Massachusetts, USA, 02143

South Indian cuisine with many vegan options, everything clearly marked. Features a weekday lunch buffet. Previously named Dosa Temple. Mon-Sun 11:30am-10:00pm

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Indian, Buffet

First Review by iwilldeny

Pretty Good! - Edit

We just finished visiting two of Harvard's Museums and were hungry and I found this place within walking distance, so off we went. It was easy to find and the place was nice and cozy with several patrons already eating. There was a buffet, but since both my husband and I don't eat onion and garlic, we ordered off the menu after speaking with one of the staff.

We got the Sada Dosai and the Paneer Tikka Masala. The portions were "just right", meaning we ate everything and felt content - not full, but not hungry either. The flavor was delicious. I would have loved to try the buffet (a great way to get a feel of a restaurant and their offerings, but that sadly wasn't an option for us). The staff was nice and attentive, but interestingly enough, there must not be many Jains who visit because our server had to go to the back and ask several times on what could be made onion/garlic-free.

Summary: good food (at least what we could eat), though it took a bit of time for it to come out. Somewhat Jain-diet friendly, but it decreases your choices by a lot. I would give them 3.5 "stars" but bumped it up to 4, since the food was good - just the selection could be better and it could have come out faster.

Note: we're not Jains, but their diet is similar to ours and it tends to be very convenient when we go to Indian restaurants. Sadly, not in this case.

Pros: good food at good portions

Cons: not much onion/garlic-free food

OMG, so good! - Edit

My BF and I came here for dinner and it was amazing. Menu was pretty big with lots of vegan options clearly marked. Place was clean and service was friendly (especially for an Indian restaurant if you know what I mean...). Best part was the food-flavorful, richly spiced, simply delicious. The clientele was predominantly Indians, which is always a good indicator that the restaurant is authentic. I've had my fair share of Indian (South Indian in particular), and I was excited to see a number of items on their menu that are not commonly found in Indian restaurants in the US. If you love (South) Indian food, you'll definitely love this place.

Pros: selection, delicious food

Best Veg Indian in Boston - Edit

I love Indian food (especially South Indian), am vegan and this is by far my favorite Indian restaurant in the Greater Boston area. Their Uttapam and Dosa options are their best dishes (with excellent coconut chutney and sambhar) and I've enjoyed the appetizers I've tried. Their entrees are good, but their soups (besides sambhar, which is not really a soup) are mediocre - I did not care for their mulligatawny (have had much better).

They have vegan items marked on their menu - almost half of their menu is vegan. I'm not sure about their latest menu, but the first version of their menu had a few things mismarked, one "vegan" dish came with the green mint chutney (which is NOT vegan) and several of their breads are vegan, but were not marked vegan (roti & poori). I also heard them refer to their Indian pizza idea (don't think this has happened yet) as "100% pure vegetarian" by which they mean cow-cheese w/o rennet, not vegan as some might think. So I wouldn't say they're as vegan-friendly as they could be, but they are much more so than any omnivore Indian place (and more so than the Ashland and other MA veg Indian places I've been).

Location is convenient if you live near Somerville or Cambridge - it's not very close to the subway (maybe 1.5 miles walk from Porter).

They have a buffet on weekends which has a lot of vegan options (which are marked) - definitely worth trying.

FYI, this place used to be "Dosa Temple" (was affiliated with another restaurant of the same name), but now is called "Dosa 'N Curry" (no longer affiliated).

Pros: lots of vegan options, friendly staff, delicious food

Cons: some vegan items may be mismarked

great food - Edit

It's a little out of the way (depending on where you're staying), but the food is great. You can take the red line to Porter and then walk up Somerville. It was about a 30 minute walk.

Dosa Temple is an all vegetarian restaurant, they have vegan items labeled on the menu. They have an Indo-Chinese section on the menu, I had a small bowl of the hot & sour soup to start. It was labeled as being spicy, and they definitely mean it! I find a lot of Indian restaurants label things that are pretty mild as spicy but I barely made it through the small bowl. It did taste good though!

After that I had the Aloo Gobi which was delicious and much easier to eat :). I got it with rice but ended up getting some Chapati bread as well which was great for soaking up the sauce.

Pros: delicious food, friendly

Cons: location

Return to Somerville Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Dosa-N-Curry closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2160 times since Feb 2012.