Dancing Avocado

• Veg-friendly
Contact 386-947-2022

110 S Beach St (at International Speedway Blvd/before main bridge to beach), Daytona Beach, Florida, USA, 32114

Serves meat, vegan options available. Offers a tofu scramble for breakfast. Also has barbeque tofu sandwich, veggie wrap with chips, salads and smoothies. Soy cheese may be not vegan - ask.

Category: American, Non-veg

First Review by

Good Variety, But GMOs, Hormones, and No Organics - Edit

Sad to say, The Dancing Avocado is one of the better selections in the Daytona Beach area for vegans and vegetarians. As with most restaurants in the area, they do not offer organic/non-GMO food, so you'll likely get a hefty dose of irradiated, pesticide-laden GMO food. If you're a lacto-ovo vegetarian, be prepared to ingest RGBH hormone-laden food.

On a couple of occasions when I had jury duty at the courthouse across the street and ate here, the food was very tasty, but I felt very tired and lethargic for a couple of days afterward. If you don't mind eating GMO food, their veggie burger is quite tasty, and they serve fresh-squeezed juices. Their selection of food choices is immense, so vegans and carnivores can both be satisfied. Prices are reasonable, and they make many dishes from scratch. Th atmosphere is rustic but interesting and appealing, kind of like an old country store. Compared to the pathetic selection of food options available in the Daytona Beach area, sadly Avocado Kitchen is one of the better options.

Pros: Large variety of food selections, Good atmosphere, Tasty food, reasonable prices

Cons: No organic selections, Hard to avoid GMOs, hormones, etc.

Very nice experience - Edit

My wife and I shared two vegetarian entrees - both of which were very flavorful and served hot. Our server was friendly and professional. Our only disappointment was that the restaurant was out of the dessert we had wanted.

If we find ourselves back in Daytona Beach, we would definitely eat at the The Dancing Avocado.

Pros: 4-6 vegetarian entrees, Well-prepared and flavorful food, Friendly & professional servers

Cons: Not open for dinner

Needs improvement - Edit

No non-dairy milk for coffee! Another reviewer posted that already, but I missed it. It's still true. So I didn't have coffee with my breakfast, which was disappointing.

The tofu scramble was also disappointing. It was ok. Asian flavored with soy sauce. It was a soft tofu. Not great.

Vegan waffle was good but not that filling. No other vegan options on the breakfast menu.

Wonderful! - Edit

Tried the vegan BLT super flavorful. Loved that the bacon part wasn't tofu or tempeh. Great service. Guacamole was a great starter.

Pros: Serves vegans and non-vegans., Vegan bacon isn't soy protein., Easy to modify.

It should be 5 stars... - Edit

We live on our boat and seek out interesting, Vegan-friendly restaurants in each town we visit along the coastline. Dancing Avacado seemed like a nice place although we wished they were open for dinner. We re-arranged our day to get there for lunch.

The staff is friendly and helpful. The food was fantastic. We split a V-BLT and a Vegan Iguana burrito along with two cups of the Vegan soup of the day. The food was exceptional. I was thinking through the meal that this place should get the maximum number of stars allowed. I accept that their menu has vegetarian and meat dishes for others - they need to survive as a restaurant in a non-Vegan world. That was all OK with me.

What killed one star for me was the checkout. It literally took 10 minutes to pay our bill. The problem is that there is one cashier who handles take out orders and all payments. Because we were forced to go for lunch, multiple people were waiting for take out including one poor woman who had about 6 orders from different people all paying separately with a handful of credit cards she brought from her office.

That's really poor guys. Fix that. Give the wait staff the ability to pay take my money so it all feels like a better quality place. It was such a shame to put a negative end on an otherwise great experience.

Pros: Food, Wait staff and owner friendliness, Interesting menu

Cons: Paying the bill

Ok for a town with so few options - Edit

I've been really disappointed the last few times I've been to Dancing Avocado. They do have a few vegan options, but they recently changed the menu and the choices have declined. They don't serve breakfast after 11 or 12, so they won't make simple things like a tofu wrap for lunch. ALso, they don't have soy or almond milk, so if you go for breakfast, you're drinking black coffee. A few small changes would really improve the place. Now that more options are popping up in the Daytona area, I choose to go to D.A. less and less. I'd love to go back if there were more options.

Pros: Some vegan options, Quirky decor

Cons: No non-dairy milk for coffee, Minimal vegan options, Lack of options later in day

Good option in the area - Edit

If you are in Daytona this is a good place to get a fresh pressed juice or smoothie or something to eat that won't ruin your day at the beach...depending on what you order!

I had a fresh juice. It was good. 12 oz for $5.50 and a salad "with a topping" which means you can pick from one of their topping selections. I got the falafel, which was made inhouse and very good. It was $12. You could get a "naked salad" for $9. The salad was a little smaller than expected but they gave me 3 falafel which were hot, fluffy and very good. They have vegan dressing options but know if you order 2 to try them they will charge you an extra $.50 without warning.

I'd go back if in the area.

Pros: Great Falafel, Lots to look at, Healthy Options

Cons: Prices a little high

Good food for herbies and carnies! - Edit

Went here with my meat-loving father-in-law and his family and we all left happy. There is covered outdoor seating as well as plenty of room inside. I found the decor pretty tacky, lots of "kitchy" stuff all around and very cluttered, but the food was good. Three of us got the Earth Burger, which was messy but delicious. I also got a carrot-ginger juice and it was great. The waitress was patient and was very specific that they take great care to keep meat separate in the kitchen. Vegan items are clearly labelled. Bathrooms were clean and even had diapers available. I did notice a person at the table next to us had her tiny dog with her, which was sitting on her lap and nosing the table. We ate outside but you had to walk through the restaurant to get there so I'm not sure how that was okay. I wish they didn't use disposable cups and plates for dine-in but definitely would eat here again.

Pros: Good Food, Lots of Choices, Clean Bathroom

Cons: Cluttered, Pets at table, Disposable Cutlery

Highly Recommended!! - Edit

I have loved everything I've had at the DAK! I make my boyfriend take me on his days off... (they close early which is the only bad thing). Since my BF is a non-veg this restaurant is great for us. I usually get the earth-burger +avocado and -cheese which is out of this world! My non-veg bf gets the dave burger which he says is one of the best burgers he has had in daytona beach. even their hummus wraps are delicious. I love the atmosphere and the servers are ALWAYS polite!

Pros: Veg-Friendly, Cool Atmosphere, Great Value

Cons: Closes Early

Good for "mixed" eaters - Edit

My husband is an omnivore, I'm a mostly-vegan who will eat vegetarian when no vegan options are available. In other words, I eat a plant-based diet but I'm not a purist. I don't dissect every single bite of food when dining out nor do I ask to see nutrition labels. I realize that when dining out, I've got to give myself some leeway and make the best choices possible.

That being said, I have enjoyed both times I dined at Dancing Avocado Kitchen. The food was reasonably priced, fresh, and tasty. The waitstaff was prompt and friendly. The menu was varied enough for my vegan daughter, my carnivorous husband and myself. The atmosphere was pleasing to the eye, bright and clean.

Absolutely no complaints from me, looking forward to my next visit!

Pros: menu, veg options, friendly staff

Great name so so food - Edit

I rarely make it to this place since they close at 4pm on the days they are open. Granted it's good to have a place that has some veggie choices here in town. But they just don't seem to be a "conscious kitchen" and did not make the article (of the same title) that I helped write about restaurants in our local area. Their salads are ok (but from what I was told when I asked there not organic) the fresh squeezed carrot juice was fine (again told not organic) but the smoothies are made with ice and sugar (not cool) and the ambiance reminds me more of a burger joint. When I have 100% vegan places now right in Volusia I can go to (minutes from Avocado Kitchen) I'll definitely be going there instead. Plus the *other* places are open way past 4pm...

Pros: veggie choices

Cons: bad hours, not organic, not a consious kitchen

so-so - Edit

I like that this restaurant offer some decent vegetarian options. I've been there on several occasions and the food is so-so. On one morning when we were there eating breakfast a worker was spraying bug spray INSIDE the restaurant as patrons were eating. It wasn't packed, but they had guests at a few tables. We actually started gagging from the chemical spray, it was awful. Bad move on their part. We complained and they didn't charge us for our food. Good thing, because we left with half of it still on the table. The chemical smell took over the restaurant and we couldn't finish eating. Other patrons walked in and turned around and left when they smelled the place. I would also agree with the other posting that the place is cluttered and somewhat dirty. Overall: so-so food, not a good atmosphere. Once I went in there for the BBQ tofu sandwich and they were out of tofu. How does that happen?

Pros: vegetarian options, raspberry iced tea

Cons: cluttered, dirty, bug spray during business hours

VEGANS BEWARE! - Edit

Their soy cheese is NOT vegan! I have asked to see the package several times, and they simply REFUSE to show me! One lucky day I asked our KIND waitress and she told me the brand they use is Veggie Slices! Veggie Slices are lactose-free, NOT vegan! I proceeded to give her a list of vegan cheeses and she said she would look into it, but demand to see the package before ordering! Also to the right of the register they have a section for
"Vegan Snacks" beware! Again, I found many things with dairy in their ingredients list! I told the guy behind the counter and he just shrugged. READ ALL LABELS! Happy dining.

Pros: tofu scramble

Cons: "vegan cheese" not vegan!

cool place w/ great options - Edit

I just wanted to add a review for the avocado kitchen because I saw that it only had one written about it that was not very favorable; and my experience has been much better. This is a very hip local restaurant, with cool decorations (like mosaic stones on the the door handles at the entry) and great food. Being vegan, I am always happy to find any place that makes a tofu scramble in the morning, and this one does. Plus, for lunch, they have a BBQ tofu sandwich, or they have veggie burritos - and they can substitute soy cheese for regular. I have enjoyed everything I've had here, loved the atmosphere, and found the people very friendly.

Pros: cool, hip atmosphere, soy cheese option, tofu scramble, BBQ tofu sand.

Cons: none

Okay, better than nothing - Edit

The Avacado Kitchen is a bit disapointing. They have a decent menu and decent food, but the place is dirty and cluttered. And the wait staff isn't the nicest. I've eaten there quite a few times now, simply because there are limited vegetarian restaurants in the area. It had the potential to be great, but is being weighed down by a cluttered, dirty and dark dining area.

Pros: vegetarian food selection, good location, veggie breakfasts

Cons: dark, dirty diner, very cluttered with junk

Return to Daytona Beach Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Dancing Avocado closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3453 times since Aug 2007.