Crocus Cafe

+44-115-9505080

18 Lenton Boulevard, Nottingham, England

Volunteer led, fair trade, vegetarian community cafe. Offers in-house-made main meals with at least one vegan choice. Has soup, salads, panini, snacks, cakes, and always at least one vegan cake. Hosts a Thursday dinner where booking is advised. Previously named Crocus Cafe and Bakery and located at Unit 2, Church Square. Open Mon-Sun 11:00am-3:00pm.

Categories: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, International, Organic, Take-out, British

First Review by anarchistanimal

Friendly, volunteer-run cafe with good vegan options - Edit

Wonderful service on a very busy (sunny!) Saturday. The staff were helpful and kind, despite being clearly run off their feet!
I had the vegan full English all day breakfast and coffee, which was tasty and filling (great value for money). If I'm being picky, the tofu scramble could've been seasoned better (all I could taste was turmeric and tofu with zero salt or pepper), but it was edible and may have been an oversight due to staff shortages (the server explained to me that one of their volunteers had called in sick that day).
I was really impressed to hear that they are a volunteer-run cafe. A for effort.
Edit:
I have since been back during the week, and the atmosphere was much calmer, but still impressively busy for a weekday lunchtime. I tried the mezze plate (£5) with a slice of the vegan frittata ( £1) for lunch, and it was great. The mezze plate had salad, minty couscous, olives, caramelised onions, hummus, beetroot, stuffed vine leaves, pickled cabbage and wholewheat pitta. They even brought me a side of homemade vegan garlic mayo. The frittata was made from gram flour and tofu, and it had a really lovely texture. All of the cakes in the cabinet were vegan that day, so I decided to take away a slice of the carrot cake, which was delicious.

Pros: a number of vegan options, friendly, helpful, staff, indoor and outdoor seating

Positively delightful! - Edit

A short trip to Nottingham for my friends birthday saw us mooch around the city. We're both vegan so thought we'd hit up a couple of places - this way by far the best!
We received a warm welcome similar to that of a hug from a very friendly bear. We then ordered and played a quick game of dominoes, selected from the many games available, whilst we drank and waited for our food which arrived shortly after. The vibe was wonderful; a calm and social atmosphere which is right up my street, we were also graced with a man playing the piano, which was there for anyone to play, another very nice touch.
The food was delicious and wonderfully priced (£3.50 for soup and a drink) and compared to most places I've visited this is remarkably cheap (having paid just under £4 for cake earlier).
The cafe also appealed due to its ethical system of being volunteer ran with all tips going towards suspended meals, it must also be praised for being disability friendly.
Would most definitely recommend! 'Twas delightful indeed!

Pros: Warm and friendly , Chill, Vegan cake

Moussaka is a must - Edit

I loved my lunch here, it was delicious I had moussaka which was vegan and fries which were amazing!! My gf had vegan breakfast and brother vegetarian breakfast, both were very impressed indeed!! Staff were friendly and it's quite comfy in there. I didn't have a drink.

Pros: Good for vegans as well as vegetarian., Moussaka and salad was just super!!

Cons: Parking could be hard during the day.

Love this place - Edit

This is one of my favourite places. Good honest food, great ethos and really welcoming staff. The cafe has moved to its new location and is much improved from the old place in my opinion. A great place to visit. Staff are really lovely, they remember you and treat you like friends. The food is always fresh and tasty. I love that you can also purchase suspended meals and drinks.

Pros: Everything!

An absolutely marvelous place! - Edit

Where to start...

I have been to this lovely community cafe plenty of times and tried a variety of dishes and I have never been disappointed by anything they served. They always have a vegan panini, falafels, soup and chips on hand.

I can recommend the Wanderlust nights on Thursdays with weekly changing world food menus (book in advance).

They also have a few choices of cakes. I love the spicy carrot cake and the peanut butter cookies.

A very comfortable, cozy and homy atmosphere and overall an honorable social project. My favourite place to eat vegan in Nottingham!

Pros: delicious inexpensive food, lovely and well informed staff, an honorable enterprise

A longstanding favourite - Edit

The food is consistently delicious, the prices are most reasonable (Crocus is part of Real Lives, a non-profit community organisation) and the manager, staff and volunteers are delightful.

Also - whilst the cafe is open every day during the day time, there are also the 'Wanderlust' world-cuisine nights on Thursdays which are always a near-the-end-of-the-week treat.

Vegan options always available, and you won't leave hungry!

Pros: Delicious food, Good prices, Atmosphere and hospitality

Cons: None!

Cute cafe, tasty food, great value - Edit

This is a lovely volunteer-run cafe in a working-class area of Nottingham. The food was delicious and great value - we got two meals and drinks for around £6. We had a samosa salad and a house salad. About half the menu is marked as vegan or vegan adaptable, and there are gluten-free options too. The volunteers were nice and friendly. Well worth supporting. They will be having a summer break in August 2012, and will have new opening times in September - check their website for details: www.crocuscafe.com

Pros: Tasty food, great value, Cosy, nice space, Volunteer-run, community-focused

A wonderful, volunteer led cafe - Edit

The crocus has been the first step towards vegetarianism for so many people. With award winning food, huge portions and ridiculously cheap prices the Crocus continues to impress me. The Cafe has a firm ethical grounding and sources much of its food locally as well as serving fairtrade and organic products whenever possible.

The Cafe is 100% vegetarian and always has vegan options, the only problem you are likely to have is deciding what to eat!

If you live in Nottingham, or you're visiting, make sure you make it down to the Crocus.

Pros: Amazing food, Great Value, Lovely people

Cons: Huge Portions!

Return to Nottingham Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Crocus Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.