First Review by julesy bear

Best burrito in the Raleigh/Durham area - Edit

The tofu burrito is delicious, juicy and always wrapped tight, unlike at other places. The guacamole is to die for; better than I can make at home. One time I ordered a tofu burrito for my daughter but she wouldn't try it. I took it home and put it in the fridge. I figured it would be a soggy mess but many hours later I pulled it out and it was still perfectly intact! We love the outdoor seating but listen carefully for your name because it will be quietly mumbled, exactly once.

Pros: best burrito and guac in the area, outdoor roof patio

My favorite dive - Edit

I'm a local and have been eating at Cosmic for almost 15 years. Kinda hidden if you don't know where to find it - go through the glass door labeled "Ninth Street Dance" on Perry St and up the stairs. Their veggie burritos without cheese got me through high school and college. Burritos are delicious, huge, and cheap and their salsa and guac are perfect. Margaritas are stiff and also cheap for a pitcher. Good beer selection. Play 90s XM radio station overhead. Open late. Eat on the patio outside. As a Durhamite and Duke grad, I am particular to the 9th Street location but the Franklin Street one will do if you're in the area. :) Would give 5 stars if Happy Cow would let me for a non-veg-only establishment.

Updated from previous review on 2016-09-28

Pros: Wide menu, many veg*n options, Cheap, Open late

Cons: Looks dirty but it's part of the charm

Fast paced drunk hangout. - Edit

This place is extremely popular, especially late at night. Of course, I was also one of the drunk people who were there, but that is besides the point. The place was very crowded and the line took some time to get through. It was easy to order vegan. I shared a burrito and guac with chips with my boyfriend. The food was made quickly and it was delicious. Our burrito had rice, beans, veggies, and tofu in it. I honestly did not even mind the fact that there was no cheese. It was good without it. The guac was awesome, as well. I definitely will return, just maybe not so late so that there is not as much a crowd.

Pros: Good food, Fast, Easy to order

Cons: Crowded

Love this place! - Edit

If I could eat the Tofu Burrito everyday, I probably would. This particular burrito comes vegan with tofu, black beans, rice, and salsa. The vegan plate is also very good and cost effective. If you eat there, they give you chips and fresh salsa (but not if you take out). As a vegan, I always check my food before I leave a restaurant to make sure that they haven't slipped on sour cream or cheese....and Cosmic Cantina has gotten it right every time!

Pros: Fast, Cheap, Good

this is the spot - Edit

working late nights in durham, i was lucky enough to find this place thanks to happycow. they are open until 4 am. which is amazing. though it is designed to please the kids over at duke, it does a very good job of offering veggie options on the road. the sign outside does say best mexican food on earth, but i do not agree. at least not best vegan food. it was very good, and the giant burrito was that, giant. good gauc. great salsa. and the rest was good. would recommend it to anyone that loves burritos.

and i didnt know what to expect because of the other 2 reviews on here, but it was basically a dope burrito spot on the second level of some old building. it seemed they were rather negative with it. but its not bad at all.

Pros: cheap, portion size, salsa

addictive, but not always trustworthy - Edit

Cosmic is THE late night meal spot for the under 25 crowd in Durham. Yes, it is the only place that's actually open really late (dominos doesn't make for much atmosphere, although they'll deliver) but unless you like waiting in line behind 30 drunk people, I'd avoid it between 12:30 and 2:30 AM.

As far as food, they've got two versions of a vegan platter, the option to add tofu, roasted veggies or eggplant to anything on the menu, and a "tofu burrito" which is vegan, although be sure to specify that you want no cheese or sour cream because sometimes they forget.

Call your order in ahead of time, it's worth it, you never know when there will be a mob scene. NOT handicap accessible. It's small, rickety and at the top of a flight of questionable stairs. The atmosphere is lacking, so I'd reccommend take-out.

Order a mini tofu burrito; it's 2/3s the price but practically the same size, and it's plenty of food.

Pros: open late, fast, cheap

Cons: crowded, loud

Vegan Platter--cheap and yummy! - Edit

I love Cosmic so much. You can get a delicious and inexpensive burrito, chimichanga (amazing), or the $3 vegan platter (a hearty portion of pinto and black beans, guac, salsa and rice). They also have gingerale on tap.

Pros: outside seating, open til 4am!

Cons: REALLY loud Mexican music, crowded often

Return to Durham Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Cosmic Cantina closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2319 times since Aug 2007.