Chapel Arts Cafe

Contact +44-1225920256

St James's Memorial Hall, Lower Borough Walls (at Stall St and New Orchard St), Bath, England, BA1 1QR

Makes food and cakes including: continental mixed platters, flatbreads, salads, soups, large range of hot and cold drinks, local beer and wine. Has gluten free cakes but does use dairy and/or egg. The cafe is also used as a gallery space for local artists to exhibit their work. Mon-Sat 9:30am-5:30pm

Category: Lacto, Ovo, Western, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Bakery, British, English, European

First Review by SteveWired

Meh - Edit

I really wanted to love this place but I couldn't.

I've been here twice and both times there was nothing vegan on the menu. The first time I ordered soup (vegan) and they had to make arrangements to make the bread vegan and I settled for flatbread. It's kind of insulting to me that a place like this wouldn't have any vegan options outright as they do call themselves a vegetarian cafe so surely they'd understand. Although I loved how considerate they were when they made effort to make my food vegan, they shouldn't have had to.

However, they redeem themselves by having vegan cake that tasted really delicious (again, it would have been nice to have a choice in which cake I had rather than settling for the only vegan option but it was tasty so I won't complain too much.)

Overall this place was kind of meh and I'd recommend visiting 'The Green Rocket', 'Acorn' and 'Beyond the Kale' over this place.

Pros: tasty food, Friendly staff

Cons: limited vegan options

Friendly, informal cafe with vegan dishes - Edit

I ate here twice recently and both times enjoyed the experience. As others have pointed out, the vegetarian flatbread dishes can be adapted to be vegan. They also have a choice of delicious vegan cakes and offer almond and soya milk.

Pros: Friendly informal atmosphere, Good, tasty food with fresh ingrediants, Helpful staff.

Cons: Not completely vegan

Continental Quirky Cool - Edit

Great little cafe, with arthouse originality, fresh food and cakes, and friendly service. Delicious soup and 5 star soya latte. Sadly none of the cakes are vegan but they promise they are working on offering vegan options.

Pros: Fresh, Friendly, Quirky

Cons: No Vegan Cakes

Contributions +33

Yummy! - Edit

My husband and I enjoyed lunch here on 11th May 2012.

Although the menu is entirely vegetarian, the staff were happy to make any changes to accommodate us as vegans.

We had the Mexican flatbread, swapping out the diary for avocado, and the Aubergine flatbread again swapping out non vegan stuff for avocado and basil.

As mentioned in a previous review, the only vegan dessert was the flapjack, which we enjoyed.

The cafe itself was lovely and bright with a nice atmosphere and I wouldn't hesitate to go again for a quick delicious flatbread!

Pros: Excellent food, Friendly staff, Will adapt menus for vegans

Cons: Could do with more vegan dessert options

could be more vegan friendly! - Edit

I visited the cafe on a Friday Morning. Because of the Happy Cow entry was expecting to be able to get something vegan. I asked the server what vegan options there were as there wasn't anything obvious on the board. He told me they could adapt the Mediterranean (I think) flatbread option to remove the Tzatziki. He later suggested that I could have avocado instead of the tzatziki which I agreed. This was delicious - flat bread with hummous, cous cous, salsa, peppers and avocado (see picture I uploaded). They had soya milk so was able to have a soya latte too. For desert from the labels there did not seem any evidence of gluten free/ egg free cakes. I asked what vegan options there were. All that was vegan was the flapjack. If anything the flapjack was a little too sweet, but I enjoyed they fact it had pumpkin seeds in it, making it a bit more different than a bulk standard flapjack.
I would encourage this place to have a least one vegan main course option. The Mediterranean surely isn't missing anything without the Tzatziki, with the avocado instead? Also allows for any customers who can't have dairy (all mains appeared to have some sort of dairy in them). It might seem petty, but it is so much nicer to have a least one option on the menu you can order without feeling that they had to do something special just because you are vegan.

Staff was friendly, though I wouldn't go back without more choice for vegans.... so for now only 3 cows.

Pros: friendly staff

Cons: very limited for vegans

Return to Bath Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Chapel Arts Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 4509 times since Sep 2011.