First Review by tanyaviola

Lots of fresh options! - Edit

Love this store! Their fruit and veggies are always fresh and they have a wide variety of things to choose from. There are also tons of pre-made snack packs or party trays to pick from. Always have an easy time finding new snacks.

The cafe and to-go bars have tons of options! Easy to find something when you're on the go.

This is also the only store I've been able to find canned jackfruit at.

Pros: Huge produce selection, Fresh food

Very limited vegan options - Edit

We had some coupons for free sandwiches, but couldn't even use them all, because there were such limited items available to make a vegan sandwich. There is good produce and specialty items at Central Market. Beware of the bakery, the bagels have EGG. Whole Foods definitely has a lot more vegan options!!!

Pros: specialty items, affordable berries, great produce selection

Cons: egg in the bagels, limited options for a vegan sandwich, not many vegan options period

SO MUCH LOVE - Edit

I absolutely adore this store. No joke, I do all of my shopping here (besides the little toiletries). Not only does it have the chillest vibe, but it has the widest selections of anything you can think of, even bottled water.

With a health store like this, there are some pricey things. However, the prices for fruits and vegetables are exactly the same as you would find at a Kroger or a Randall's. The difference is, you have organic options and they are all FRESH. FRESH, FRESH, FRESH. Did I mention fresh? I'm serious, guys! Don't be turned off by a health store like this one. You can walk out with a basket full of stuff that's totally healthy, organic and beneficial for your body and not break the bank.

My favorite part of the store is the organic tea selection. ALSO, the peanut butter machine. Dry roasted peanuts ground up in front of you. It's AWESOME. They also have freshly squeezed juices. (I DEFINITELY recommend the orange juice, and the apple lemon ginger juice. So refreshing!)

All in all, you will not be disappointed. Just be careful. You might want to make a list of what you need before you step foot inside. You might just want to get every organic, health thing you see.

Pros: Excellent Vibe, Produce is extremely fresh, Wide Selections

Cons: Can get crowded on weekends, Check-out lines can be long, Parking can be scarce

Dream Salad - Edit

I came to Houston on business and immediately knew I wanted to check out this market. I got salad two days in a row and they were so so good! Easily made vegan by swapping one item (goat cheese). The California and The Moroccan salads have a variety of ingredients and are huge for the low price of 7.49.

Pros: Atmosphere, Value, Selection

Busy Store - Edit

Very popular store in Houston for fresh organic foods. Lots of bulk foods. Large selection of breads and coffees.

Pros: Huge produce department, Helpful staff, Organic products

Cons: Very crowded, Somewhat pricey

My favorite grocery store in Houston - Edit

Central Market always has the items I simply cannot get at grocery stores close to my home. I am a vegan and they carry more meatless meat/cruelty-free options than any other store I can name. And, yes, their meatless meats are priced LESS than Kroger or nasty Walmart. It is worth the drive to go and stock up. *They have new meatless items every time we visit. I also LOVE their take-out food options and always leave there with something new...That I tried in the store. Whether I am shopping for produce, bulk snack items (impossible to resist), incense, a new dessert to try or even something as simple as bakery bread, Central Market has the best selection. I find myself comparing other grocery stores to this store...That is why we are willing to make the drive. It is always a festive environment and everyone that works there is friendly...Way above average. Given the size and population of this city, I think we need more stores of this caliber!

Pros: great selection, can always find what I need, staff is friendly and helpful

Cons: very crowded

Awesome store!! - Edit

I went on a Sunday and it was extremely crowded! So I would recommend going on a weekday. They have lots of bulk items, like grains, seeds, etc. Also tons of local coffee beans, mor e than I've ever seen in any other store. They've got a lot of raw/vegan items on the shelves as well. Large selection of fresh breads and a HUGE produce section. I'd definitely shop there again if I were in the area.

Pros: lots of bulk items, tons of coffee beans, great produce selection

Cons: too crowded

Return to Houston Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Central Market closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.