Contact 503-964-0820

2816 SE Stark St, Portland, Oregon, USA, 97214

Offers a variety of smoothies and juices as well as fresh organic bowls and salads. Build-your-own bowl option. Local kombucha and beer on tap. Same owners as Sip juice cart. Open Mon-Sun 9:00am-9:00pm.

Category: Vegan, American, Organic, Juice bar, Beer/Wine, Take-out

First Review by elizabet

Filling and Healthy - Edit

My husband and I ate here. Parking is difficult to find (there seemed to be only one spot) but the place is cozy and has three seating areas (inside, outside and kind of a tent). The employees were nice. We ordered the Portland Bowl and the Southern Bowl to go. Both were tasty, although we preferred the Portland Bowl. Large portions and very filling. I also appreciated feeling like I was eating very healthy. My only issue was the person who made all the food while I was watching used her bare hands the entire time. This included all the raw foods that were put directly into my food. I had an "ick" moment from that, but I still enjoyed my food.

Pros: Healthy, Filling, Large Portions

Cons: Lack of Parking, Didn't wear gloves

clean comforts - Edit

Loved my meal here which was the walnut salad and a juice. It was very comforting as I was feeling a bit low. nice to have a healthy choice like this.
forgot to try their kombucha on tap.

Pros: healthy, clean meals

simple and pure - Edit

I had a long flight from Portland to DC so instead of chances that horrid airport food I stopped in Canteen for some to-go grub. The smoothie and juice bar also makes an array of Bowls and Salads. I went with the Bangkok Bowl and a side of Rice and Beens. Both were appetizing and satisfied my cravings. They also serve healthy breakfasts such as oatmeal, parfait a and granola bowls.

Pros: full menu, eclectic vibe

Cons: none

Great vegan juices and smoothies! - Edit

We got the Summer Breeze and the Orange One - both were delicious. Quick service and nice to have an all vegan juice place in the Belmont district. Orange in a milky smoothie is quite unique but it worked really well!

Pros: All vegan, Unique combinations

Oregon-ic Bowls Of goodness - Edit

We shared the Walnut Taco salad and the Southern bowl. Both delicious, organic, and we took advantage of the yummy local hot sauces they offer. I suggest you do what we do and share everything you eat, the combo was awesome. I also got the summer breeze juice, I've never had cilantro in a juice, but it works! It works surprisingly well and really complimented the food. We sat outside in the sunshine on stumps. We also really like the canteen logo, the food pyramid with the "eat" and "drink" text in the veggie portion of the pyramid. Simplistic, clever, and a universal way to share the importance of a plant based lifestyle.

Pros: Organic, Local Condiment Sauces For Slathering , Tasty Juice

All Organic, All Vegan- Juice, Smoothies, Food. - Edit

All Vegan and All Organic. That is a huge plus!! The owner of SIP cart(s) created this place some time in last few years, so the menu for juices and smoothies are similar (if you are familiar with Sip.) They have bowls and salads and some yummy desserts. I will say everything IS pretty tasty. What is frustrating though is some attitudes of the workers, who seem overly stressed and aloof. (Oddly enough in earlier years ran into this with SIP cart as well, but that eventually changed once a nice girl named Lindsay became manager). Ok, I know people have to work hard, but a smile or two would be be kind.
Definitely a "punk" vibe on other hand, so gives it an authentic Portland vegan feel. But yeah, be.kinder.people. Most of the other "hipster " or "punk" friends I know are, why not you?!?! Oh also music is often VERY loud.

(I no longer live in Portland- and with good reason- attitudes. Buuuut, there definitely are some amazing food and organic restaurants. This place fits the bill taste wise!!! Worth a try!)

Updated from previous review on Thursday December 04, 2014

Pros: Organic, vegan food, Organic, Vegan smoothies and juice, Nice location

Cons: Unfriendly service, Loud music at times, Did I mention unfriendly service?

Love this place - Edit

Delicious bowls, great smoothies, friendly staff - what more can you ask for? Nice place to hang out solo, or with a buddy. Extra points for easy bike parking and good beers! So happy to have a go-to spot in SE.

Pros: You will feel good after eating here, Friendly staff

Cons: loud inside because of blender action, can take awhile because of small kitchen

Fresh food - Edit

Canteen is a small place, but they have a large selection of food and fresh juice. They have outdoor seating, which was perfect for enjoying a nice spring day. My husband and I each ordered a fresh juice, which came in a large glass. I was impressed, since often fresh juice is served in smaller quantities. The prices were very reasonable. We each ordered one of their bowls, and I was pleased with the flavors! Their veggies were freshly steamed & it was obvious they prepare things from scratch.

Pros: fresh food, large sizes for juice, outdoor seating

My favourite resto in Portland - Edit

We hit a few restos while in Portland and this was our favourite (sorry Portobello). Absolutely adored their Portland bowl. Good smoothies and they order in their desserts. I had a lovely Rawdicious raw cheesecake for dessert. Highly recommended. Worth the trek over from downtown (easy with public transport, btw)

Pros: Portland bowl

All vegan food, beer, & juice - Edit

What more could I ask for? Yummy, healthy bowls.. salads, juice, and beer. Small, friendly place. Some outdoor seating. My husband and I shared the taco salad and the Portland bowl. Both were really good. We will definitely return on one of our ventures to Portland.

Pros: vegan food, beer, juice

Cons: none

Healthy and delicous. - Edit

This is a brick and mortar location opened by the guys who run the two Sip juice carts.

So my boyfriend and I biked over last night for a beer and to see the menu. This place has just opened. It seemed to be a mixture of bowls and salads alongside the expected (amazing) juices and smoothies that Sip is known for. (As well as a small, but nice, beer, wine and dessert menu.)

I had the Taco Salad: walnut meat, cashew nacho cheese, avocado, tomatoes and onions on a bed of greens for $8. It was super tasty with the right amount of spice. I was still a little hungry after (would have loved to have some black beans on it.)

My friend got the bangkok bowl: brown rice, kimchee, black sesame, brocolli and beans (can't remember the kind) with a peanut curry sauce. Super tasty. Yum.

Pros: healthy cuisine, thoughtful combos, tasty

Cons: not filling

Return to Portland Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Canteen closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 7864 times since May 2012.