Cafe Soya

Contact 0121-622-3888

Unit 2 Upper Dean Street, Birmingham, England, B5 4SG

Serves meat, vegan options available. Offers a separate veg food menu with a variety of mock meats. Menu is based on a fusion of traditional Vietnamese and Chinese cuisine. Has space for private party. Open Mon-Sat 10:00am-11:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Chinese, Delivery, Take-out, Vietnamese, Non-veg

First Review by Katherinef

Great value for money - Edit

Great value for money. Massive portions lots of variation. Four pages in the menu. They cook everything separately so it is actually vegan and the service was great. I would give five stars but app won't let me.

Pros: good price , fills you up , lots of choice

Cons: I wish I had one in my town

ok - Edit

I found the place spacious, nice seating however quite noisy with people speaking loudly. Orders took long to come like 30 mins.

They have a good selection for vegetarians, vegans must specify no eggs and to clean utensils when cooking your dish.

We ordered mock fish, it was too real to my liking. Not my taste I shall stick to the tofu.  I liked the side dishes stir fried mushroom rice and the stir friend onion and garlic rice.

I am not fond of the wet dishes as they are too sweet. They use alot of oil in their dishes.

I prefer healthier meals. I would recomend it for anyone who likes Chinese and mock meat.

Pros: Vegan options

Cons: Serves secretions and flesh, Noisy, Long waiting time

Awesome Chinese - Edit

I really recommend this place if you want some good chinese (or vietnamese) food. They say they love soya and they actually prove it serving very tasty food. Mock meat and tofu dishes, but also plenty of other vegan options.
Quite big portions: I am a bottomless pit but struggled to finish two dishes + boiled rice. Price seems fair, I paid £ 15 for my dinner.

Best Vegan Restaurant in Birmingham - Edit

I love Cafe Soya, and it seems to be the favourite of a lot of other vegans too!

The variety on the menu is overwhelming, prepare to take an embarrassingly long time to order and have to tell the waiters you need more time! They do several kinds of soya milkshake, possibly the most delicious rice dishes I have ever had, noodle dishes I have yet to sample much to my sorrow and pretty much every kind of fake meat curry you can imagine. Much of it is very spicy but you can pick less spciy dishes, there are guides on the menu.There's a kids menu too. And the building is beautiful and spacious.

Not to mention the portion sizes...those have to be the biggest portions I have ever been served.

Only downside? Their delicious looking bubble tea is not vegan. Its got milk in it. Not fair.

Pros: Variety and Choice, The Rice Dishes!!, Lovely Setting

Cons: Non-vegan Bubble Tea, Staff are occasionally a bit hazy , Not Cheapest

Value and choice - Edit

So hard to choose what to eat when the vegetarian options are so numerous! Portions were huge so after delicious soups we shared a main. We'll be back to try some of the other dishes. Very friendly and helpful staff. Lots of tables at the Chinatown branch, so a good chance of getting in. We found it open on a Sunday night and that seems to be usual.

Pros: Choice, Flavour, Spaciousness

excellent food 5 stars - Edit

there are two restaurants, one in china town and one next to the travelodge, central bullring.
both are excellent food and they do make their soya milk on site and I think the tofu as well. The menu is red for the meat section and green for the veg section.
This has been the best most traditional vegan chinese I have eaten in the UK to date now.
Service is wonderful, they are very happy and the lunch meal for £6.95 is excellent, offering an entree, main course and desert, it's worth every penny.
My husband and I ate here 4 times in the 3 days we stayed in Birmingham and look forward to trying the rest of the dishes when we return.
We ate spicy peppercorn tofu which was beautiful, lovely with additional touches of fried garlic coriander, chilli, red capsicum and sweet chilli sauce. The Wonton soup was lovelyy, a little salty but matched well with the noodles and dumplings. The Hor Fun noodles fried with chicken in the lunch menu were excellent, the chicken tasty and the noodles the best I've eaten in the UK and also freshly made on premises.
the sesame prawn toast was enjoyable, seemed to be made with pumpkin and a nice entrée. I wasn't so impressed with the dumplings, but I much prefer to make my own so I'm pretty fussy.
My husband loved the crispy aromatic duck and pancakes which were a large dish offered in a quarter or half dish.
My favourite dish was the Pipa tofu, fried balls of mixed tofu and veg in a beautiful gravy and again incredibly cheap for the effort that went into the dish.
The side order of Hor-fun was great for £2.60. sweet tofu desert and fried banana were beautiful.
To be honest the food made me homesick for my old regular chinese veg restaurants.
We certainly pigged out in this restaurant and couldn't get enough.
Try the Hot soya milk and the desert of soya curd in sweet sauce if you like tofu. This place serves the best quality tofu I have had outside of Taiwan.
This restaurant is so good, we are moving closer to it!
Updated from previous review on Wednesday November 20, 2013

Pros: tofu, soya meat, price

Cons: not closer to where i live, not totally vegan

Great vegan and veggie choice - Edit

Despite the name, its not a vegetarian restaurant, but it does have a separate veggie menu - just ask for it. They generally understand what a vegan is, so you can ask if what you've chosen is vegan. Though they dont know if any of the wines are vegan, i think they're probably not.

The food is consistently really good, though these days I tend to order the same thing every time! I ordered a fake meat type dish once, but found there was too much fake meat, and not enough vegetables. You can ask for extra tofu to be added to anything - yum yum!

Pros: Consistently great quality food, Great choice of veggie and vegan dishes

Cons: No info on whether wine is vegan, Desserts aren't that good.

Return to Birmingham Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Cafe Soya closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3478 times since Sep 2013.