Cafe Pasqual's

121 Don Gaspar (at downtown), Santa Fe, New Mexico, USA, 87501

Serves meat, vegan options available. Small, busy restaurant in downtown Santa Fe. Focuses on local and organic foods in the New Mexican style. Usually a few items on the night menu is vegan suitable. Will cater to vegans. Kitchen breaks from 3-5:30pm. Attached store sells the art that's displayed upstairs. Open Mon-Sun 8:00am-11:00pm.

Categories: Lacto, American, Organic, Beer/Wine, New Mexican, Non-veg

First Review by stacypatel

Limited Menu Entree Options for Vegans - Edit

Very cute and popular restaurant. Reservations are recommended and this is a pricey venue.

My daughter and I ordered the same meal--garden vegetable enchiladas with green chili sauce. She ordered hers vegetarian, as they came and I ordered mine vegan, so it was minus the cheese and cornbread. The veggies inside the enchilada could have had a little more salt added and there was quite a bit of spinach but they were quite tasty. Service is slow, so be prepared to relax and enjoy. Be prepared for the sticker shock. The enchilada meal is $29--which is kind of high considering the cost of the ingredients.

Pros: Ambiance, Accommodating

Cons: Slow service, Price

Overpriced, overrated, cramped space, crappy service - Edit

I had high expectations walking in based on the good ratings across the board, but I left feeling ripped off.

It IS grossly overpriced. I knew it'd be expensive—I don't mind pricey meals if the value is there—but the experience just didn't warrant the price tags. Our starter was an $11 plate of plantain chips with an avocado dip of sorts, which our waiter had told us would be swapped out for salsa to keep it vegan. That didn't happen. I opted for the mole enchilada ($29) as my main. It was average at best. The tortilla was tough on the bottom, possibly from having been stuck to the pan. The mole wasn't bad, but the veggie/tofu filling was as bland as can be. Seemed to me the cooks had no idea how to properly prepare tofu. The ramekin of jícama slaw on the side was unmemorable. Only saving grace was the little pile of cilantro rice. (Side note: their three-tined fork was impractical in that the tines had wide spacing in between and could hardly pick up the julienned jícama.) My partner ordered the filet mignon with mashed potatoes (~$40) and a piece of cornbread (not vegan) from my dish. He was equally unimpressed.

Service was subpar. Hostess was snooty when we showed up at 6 to see if they had anything available even though we had a reservation at 7. She retorted "it's six"—as if we didn't know we were early—and a flat "no" when the place was almost half empty. Fine. Our waiter was curt and impatient. He didn't appear interested in explaining any vegan options and walked away mid-conversation. I asked if a dish could be made vegan, he just stressed that it wouldn't taste as good sans cheese. He also didn't replace the avocado dip with salsa as I mentioned earlier. Throughout our meal we weren't checked on even once.

What's more, the dining space was so cramped that it took away from any ambiance they might try to create. To be fair, that's probably much more so because we were seated at the oval "community table", where they tried to squash in as many people as possible. Our end didn't have so much as elbow/leg room, while our tablemates down the other end were sitting comfortably apart. Either they were clueless or didn't care, but ultimately the staff should act proactively in a situation like this. They didn't bother.

This meal set us back $100. Totally NOT worth it. I wouldn't even classify this place as vegan-friendly to begin with. Just a couple of token, veganizable dishes are not gonna cut it in this day and age.

TLDR: Avoid this tourist trap.

Cons: Poor value, Lousy service, Cramped space

delicious vegan options in Santa Fe classic - Edit

Crowded lively little café in the heart of Santa Fe, but great vegan options. Started with one of the most delicious salads we've ever had: grapefruit, arugula, cilantro, pomegranate seeds, pinenuts, avocado and a delicious dressing with star anise etc. wow! Then went on to vegan Malay enchiladas. They were a little heavy on the tofu but still savory and wonderful. Only vegan dessert option was sorbet.

Service was wonderful, atmosphere felt like real Santa Fe. Fun decor included piñata is, colorful tiles and dried hanging chilies. little loud and boisterous so not sure it would be good for a romantic dinner.

Pros: good portions!, delicious food, great service

Cons: limited vegan options, a little loud and pretty crowded

Divine and Upscale for vegans - Edit

Santa Fe has some options for vegans, this by far was the best! It was expensive, more of a special occasion meal, but worth it. The kitchen tries to be accommodating to vegans and will go out of their way. We LOVED the mole, absolutely delicious, as well as the red and green chile enchiladas. Many ingredients are organic. The wine selection is wonderful, the staff very attentive and professional, the food incredible. A must when visiting Santa Fe! Make a reservation or get there early to queue for dinner, most days reservations are required or be prepared to be turned away,

Pros: Large portions, Attentive Staff, Organics and local produce used

Cons: MUST for reservation, EXPENSIVE!!!

Return to Santa Fe Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Cafe Pasqual's closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.