Cafe Leander

Contact 0951-30122241

Hauptwachtstrasse 10, Bamberg, Germany, 96047

Serves meat, vegan options available. A coffee shop which offers breakfast and lunch with plenty of vegetarian and vegan options. Made-in-house cakes are available. Child-friendly. Under new management and no longer fully vegetarian since June 2016. Open Mon-Sat 10:00am-6:00pm. Closed Sun.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, International, Fast food, Juice bar, Take-out, Bakery, Non-veg

First Review by LaraLababidi

nice little cafe. - Edit

I was desperately trying to find somewhere with vegan options on a trip and thanks to Happy Cow stumbled on this place. A cute cafe just off the main path with a couple of vegan options and always vegan customizable coffees. Very child friendly.
I had the vegan-option panino which was filled with vegan Leverkusen. My boyfriend had a veggie pear-gorgonzola panino. They were small and dry, and fine because we were searching for something and hungry, but not even approaching good, especially considering the price.

Afterwards we shared the one vegan cake option which was disappointing; tasteless and dry, and once again overpriced.

If you desperately need something to eat this place is fine, or if you search for somewhere hipster-family friendly and central yet quiet this is for you, but I was really disappointed and it left a lot to be desired.

Pros: vegan options, nice interior and atmosphere

Cons: overpriced, not good quality food, small portions

Not 100% Vegetarian! Grrrrrrrrrr - Edit

My husband and I went here on Saturday for lunch, excited about the menu. We saw fish & chips on the menu and both ordered it, not giving it a second thought because we've had vegan fish & chips at other places. We started eating it and though, hmm, this is a pretty decent mock fish. My husband kept saying that it must be real fish, but I dismissed him because it was listed here as vegetarian, and said vegan/vegetarian food right in the door. Low and behold, I was waiting to buy a smoothie for the road, and my husband decided to ask if it was real fish, to which the server said yes, as they have two fish dishes on the menu. He asked how we were supposed to know it was real fish when everything else, currywurst, bratwurst, etc, were all vegan. She apologized, but it's a bit late once the food has been eaten. I have been vegetarian for about 22 years now, so it was not the start to our holiday weekend that I was imagining. Obviously I didn't die, but even more concerning would be if someone with a fish allergy would have ordered it or anything that would have been cooked in the same oil, as a lot of people with fish allergies will go to vegetarian restaurants in order to avoid food coming into contact with fish.

That being said, I have no problem eating at places that are not completely veggie when I know that that is the case, because I can then ask and be sure of what I am ordering. Everything that is veggie on the menu looks good, they even have vegan Australian pies, and lots of nice desserts. The smoothies are a bit expensive. They bottle them themselves, but €3.50 for 247ml that is not freshly made is a bit much. There is also outside seating and lots of space for kids. I just can't write a good review because I'm so upset that I ate fish when I would never choose to do so.

Pros: Lots of seating, desserts look good

Cons: Gives impression of being 100% veggie, Serves fish

Return to Bamberg Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Cafe Leander closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 623 times since Sep 2015.