Cafe Atl

Contact 06-62120066

2-1-24 Shinsaibashisuji, Chuoku, Osaka, Japan, 542-0085

Vegetarian cafe turned vegan in 2014. The lunch menu consists of a few set meals plus baked goods and espresso drinks. Menu includes bagel with hummus, risotto, salad, curry, soup, and vegan cakes. Emphasis is slow food using local produce. Quiet for the noisy Shinsaibashi area. In Shinsaibashi area on a side street off of the main drag. Directions from Apple store and Nike on Midosuji Ave, turn to Europe St, walk till you see the signboard in front of big gorilla signboard of the pet shop. Note that is is not open late in the night, so go early. Mon 12:00pm-10:30pm, Wed-Sun 12:00pm-10:30pm

Category: Vegan, Japanese, Western, Beer/Wine, Bakery

First Review by kat.ross

Nice vegan spot. - Edit

I came here for cake and coffee. The cake was banana and matcha, it was delicious. Would recommend coming for a cake if you are in he area. Found it difficult to find as the directions on the map are incorrect.

Pros: Great cake

Cons: Not the greatest of atmospheres

only ok - Edit

i just tried to eat there. closed. sign on stairs.
(edit)
i came back later.

last evening and had the prix fixe menu at 1500 + a beer for 700. definitely not worth it. all the food is prepared ahead of time and they just fill up a plate with mostly salad and some side dishes, none of which were extraordinary. the "quiche" was heated but the rest was cold. for that amount i'm expecting something really good, even in Osaka. i wont be back - there are better choices for vegans here.

Updated from previous review on 2016-09-15

Amazing hummus bagel!! - Edit

I always go for a lunch whenever I'm in Shinsaibashi area - the most crowded part of the city and This is the ONLY vegan eatery, not only that, they have an amazingly delicious home-made bagel and hummus, using a superb quality tahini sauce, and fantastic salad with hard-to-find organic red pepper.
I'm avoiding caffeine now (insomnia problem) they have really tasty soy non-coffee what a life-saver!!
I love the atmosphere whenever I come to this place, some really good idea pops up about myself then I go home very satisfied !!

Quiet Vegan Haven in Shinsaibashi - Edit

I've had both good and so-so experiences here, and I think it's fair to say that consistency is one thing they could work on. Although the couple who own and run the place sometimes appear a bit tired and sullen while working, they always recognize me and greet me warmly. They work extremely hard, and I have never seen another staff member in their, ever. All the food is prepared carefully by hand, and I think that a lot of effort genuinely goes into it. Their bagels are good, and the chocolate cake is extremely rich and decadent. Although I don't drink coffee, I've also heard that it is quite good, which is easy to imagine as a big portion of the kitchen is occupied by their espresso machine - and they often are drinking coffee while working! I absolutely LOVE the savoury veggie loaf which they often serve as part of the appetizer, although it isn't listed on the menu (whyyyy can't I just buy 5 pieces of that??), and the salads are usually very fresh and invigorating. Once I received a marinated tofu as part of the appetizer instead though, which isn't really my thing, and I was disappointed. The curry is quite good, although a bit oily (something I'm quite sensitive to), and the portions are perhaps on the small side. The bagel sets often run a bit too salty for me, as well. As other people have mentioned, the muffins (I think one of them is sometimes advertised as "carrot cake") are indeed on the dry side, although they do usually serve it with some vegan cream which moistens it up. Still, the complaints about that are valid. Also, I often order an orange juice rather than coffee or tea, and the small wine glass they serve it in lasts me about 5 seconds- other places in Japan have done this as well and I really don't like it. Similarly, their water glasses are ridiculously small and I'm always continually asking for more water. This might not bother others so much though. In terms of ambience, more often than not I've gone here when it's extremely quiet, and I personally prefer to be in a place that isn't too noisy, but has other people around. I think the size and layout of the space makes it a bit difficult to achieve this, but it's fine if you just want a really quiet place to rest. However, I do think that their lunch time business is picking up, as last week I went and I saw it packed for the first time. Finally, one thing I think they could also improve upon is to have more flexibility in their menu. I understand they might have it structured so

Updated from previous review on 2016-06-26

Pros: Nice location in Shinsaibashi, Emphasis and care on organic produce, Calm atmosphere usually

Cons: Inconsistency, Inflexible menu, No convenient bike parking

Very disappointing... - Edit

I went to Osaka with my best friend. We walked around Shinsaibashi and got really hungry so we were very happy that this place was so close and quite easy to find. I used the Happy Cow application and within 5 minutes we were already there.

It wasn't crowded so we could relax.
It was quiet, nice and clean.
First impression? Awesome.

But then...we ordered lunch.
I mentioned that I am allergic to wheat and that I can't eat oily dishes so the guy recommended me risotto.
My friend ordered curry.

When I saw my risotto I didn't know what to do.
It was VERY OILY, which I am super sensitive to.
I tried to eat that "thing" but it was horrible.
My friend, who is okay with oil, ate curry but she said that she didn't like it at all because it was too oily...

At the end I complained and said that well maybe the soup was okay (pumpkin-soy-something else soup, almost tasteless but acceptable) but I had said that I didn't want oily thing, yet I got SUPER OILY risotto.
The woman said that sometimes it is impossible to prepare vegetables without oil (did you boil rice in oil? lol ) and she didn't even say sorry.

VERY DISAPPOINTED
I am never getting back there.

Pros: easy to find

Cons: oily and tasteless, quite expensive, the owners don't listen to their clients

Disappointing - Edit

The only positive aspects of this restaurant were the convenient location, friendly atmosphere, and that it is completely vegan. However, we were very disappointed with our meal.

I ordered the vegetable curry with the quiche as an appetizer. The quiche was ok, but lacked flavor. The curry was very watery, not very pleasant in flavor, with only a few vegetables and no protein in there simply not filling. My boyfriend ordered a bagel with hummus and a cold corn soup as an appetizer. I actually really liked the corn soup. The bagel on the other hand was really just a bagel and hummus. No vegetables whatsoever, and the hummus was pretty bad.

Overall, if I were in the area again, I would definitely not go back.

Pros: Convenient location, Friendly atmosphere

Cons: Bland food, Small portions

Extremely overpriced, bland food - Edit

This is, taste- and price-wise the worst restaurant I've visited in Japan. Paying 2,100¥ for a dinner set consisting of one cup of ordinary green tea, one super basic salad, one well-tasting but super tiny piece of bread plus an incredibly bland risotto with nearly no taste nor variation... And then being hungry one hour later because of the small portion sizes...
I find most meals to be very tasty (I'm easily satisfied), but I honestly don't understand how it is possible to make such bland, tasteless food

Pros: Friendly, kind staff, Nice location in Shinsaibashi

Cons: Very overpriced + super small servings, Bland/no taste, Left hungry & 2,100¥ lighter...

gorgeous vegan cafe - Edit

Really loved this place . A little pricey but well worth . Set meal for dinner of entree , main and a drink . The food was delicious, well presented and very well made . The couple are friendly and very inviting .

Delicious Food in a Great Location! - Edit

Nestled upstairs nearby Neco Republic (rescue cat cafe/shelter), Cafe Atl is a great place to enjoy a quiet lunch away from the hustle and bustle of Osaka's busy shopping street.

Set menus are quite limited but food is tasty. I had the vegan quiche (delicious!) and a bagel with hummus which was also good.

The atmosphere is relaxed and friendly, staff kind and attentive. Definitely a great place to take a well-earned shopping break.

Pros: All vegan!, Inexpensive, Tasty food

Cons: Limited menu (sets only)

It was ok but I wouldn't go back - Edit

In our travels I would say this was not one of my favourite places. I had a (squishy)tofu curry which I was not at all impressed with. The cafe was also expensive and the meals were quite small. It didn't help that the owner appeared to clean the toilet that was located near where we were seated and as he left the toilet he was carrying a huge wad of toilet paper which he tossed in the bin located in the kitchen area, washed his hands and then wiped them on the tea towel located about the coffee maching - this was very off puting.

Pros: Decor, location

Cons: Very bland , Portion size , prize

One of my favorite vegan places in Osaka - Edit

I'm a regular at ATL. The food is always top-quality and the staff are really friendly. The menu changes seasonally, so there is always something new to try.
My favorite dish, which they have kept around for a while due to popular demand, is the bagel and hummus set. It's simple, but the homemade bagels are amazing and the creamy hummus is better than anything I manage to put together at home.
Their selection of organic wines is great! And the deserts are super tasty.

Pros: delicious, classy and cool atmosphere, very chill

Cons: perhaps a bit pricey

Great food. Great vibe. - Edit

I visited Cafe Atl on the advice of a fellow Happy Cow Ambassador and was very glad I did! This place is located in the cool part of Osaka (Shinsaibashi) and is relatively easy to find. The owners (?) were very friendly and have created a warm and welcoming ambience. The food was delicious (mixed greens with couscous in a vinaigrette and mushroom/broccoli risotto in a tomato sauce) and well-portioned with nice presentation. An overall great experience! (maybe "Atl" stands for "All the love"???)

Pros: Great food, Great vibe, Great value.

Cons: Relatively small so you may have to wait, Limited options

Cozy restaurant with delicious Vegan food - Edit

Conveniently located by Shinsai bridge, this place was a pleasant surprise.
Food was delicious, price reasonable, the place is cozy and welcoming, the owner (couple?) are so cute and friendly.

The soup was delicious, but rather cold... Not sure if it was on purpose not to kill the enzyme? B

Would love to visit there again!

Pros: convenient, delicious vegan food, friendly owner and staff

Cons: Soup was rather cold...

Warm and welcoming little restaurant - Edit

Found this place when all the other vegan restaurants in Osaka were shut because of New Years Holiday. Great surprise!
The couple that welcomed and served us (the owners?) was incredibly nice and helpful.
All the food is organic, and you can taste it! The menu is quite small (not literally -it's actually the biggest physical menu I'd ever have in my hands!) but everything we had was very tasty, healthy and fresh.
Probably due to the holiday season (I think it was their re-opening day), they didn't have the muffins and other sweets they seem to be known for.
We had an amazing meal nonetheless and we heartedly recommend this place :)

Marinated Tofu is a must have! - Edit

My friend and I visited Atl Cafe while traveling through Osaka and were very impressed with our meals!! We received a complimentary starter that I can only describe as some sort of savoury slice and the taste and texture was amazing! We ordered the onion an potato soup which was very flavoursome and also the quiche (which is more of a potato pie) which was lovely. My absolute favourite was the marinated tofu that had a lovely cheesy consistency and I could have ordered multiple servings of (must try!) For mains we ordered the hummus bagel & a tofu and ginger curry with brown rice. Bagel itself was super yummy, the hummus was good but don't expect the usual commercial style hummus. The curry was delish! Desert we had a walnut and cacao muffin and the most decadent chocolate cake with soy cream. Iced lattes were yummy too!! The staff were super friendly and the place had an overall lovely vibe. Definitely recommend! Reasonably priced at under ¥6000

Pros: Great value for money , Delicious food, Great service

Very good and cosy - Edit

I ate here for lunch and it was a real good moment of peace in this busy district of Osaka. Food tasted really good, I had a kabocha (pumpkin) soup, simple but delicious, and a spinach and tofu curry with brown rice. Taste was mild and it was OK with me ( I don't like that much to eat very spicy food), but it had many well-balanced flavors. It was fulfilling and enough for my appetite. It was a little more expensive than what I'm used to pay for lunch, but to have several choices in a menu without fish or meat here in Osaka is pure bliss...

Pros: Seasonal menu, fresh food, Great cosy place, Nice people

nice place and atmosphere - Edit

The cafe is on the second floor just outside the main shopping street. I had a mushroom tomato risotto. Food was ok, not really special but does the job. Nice to have this vegan place around. Nice location and atmosphere

Very delicious ! - Edit

The restaurant is very relaxing and the couple was so nice ! We ordered a quiche and a quinoa salad, and we got some "cake salé" and it tasted so much like French cuisine (we're French) that I was wondering where the baguette was :) As a main dish, we ordered a bagel with... houmous which is so hard to find here, and a delicious lentil curry with whole rice. Although it was slow food and the portions seemed small, I was filled since everything was organic and whole cereals !

There is also a small little shop where you can buy vegan food.

It's a bit expensive for us to eat there often, but it is really qualitative food and I really hope more people can get to discover the cuisine of this lovely couple !

Pros: It tasted like home , Very nice staff, Organic, entirely vegan, home made

Contributions +22

Atmosphere and food great - Edit

Cozy little cafe with a great atmosphere! The food is prepared with a lot of skill and love and it was a pleasure to dine here. The only down fall and the only reason I didn't give it 5 stars would be that the deserts were a little dry. Overall though j highly recommend!

Very nice place to relax over lunch... - Edit

The cafe is a lovely space above the bustle of Europe Street. There was jazz music playing when we came in and there was a relaxed atmosphere and pace. We ordered from the lunch set menu: potato and creamed corn quiche and creamy mushroom risotto for me; and onion and beet salad and hummus bagel for my companion. We ended up sharing anyway. The entrees were OK but nothing exciting. The risotto was creamy, almost buttery in texture and taste and had a subtle rather than intense flavour. The hummus had a home-made quality, with a bit of texture rather than being totally smooth, which I liked. The bagel itself was delicious and fresh (baked in-house), so we took a couple home. We ordered soy lattes for after (mine hot, my companion's iced) and also decided to share dessert. The vegan cheesecake was delicious and the green tea muffin was nice too. This place is so nice we returned later for cold drinks and I'll come back next time I'm in Osaka.

Pros: Nice relaxed space above the busy street, Fresh bagels

Stereotypically Bad, Expensive Vegan Fare - Edit

I was excited about trying this place last fall, but it's basically a caricature of everything people dislike and criticise about vegan food. It's pretentious, obscure, very overpriced, and mysteriously devoid of any and all flavour.

The starter salads were quite alright, but the bitter melon curry I had practically gave me nightmares.

I sat there, concentrating, trying to discern any kind of perhaps sophisticatedly subtle taste that the thin, watery, oily, offensively sparse portion of "curry" sauce might have, but alas, there was none.
It seemed as though they overcooked tiny pieces of the goya (there were no other veggies or anything) in too much oil, then remembered that it was supposed to be curry and therefore have some kind of spice or seasoning, and threw in some cardamom pods at the last minute.

I left hungry, dejected, and questioning a number of recent life decisions that led to my having had to sit through that meal.

Pros: The coffee

Cons: The food

Great little vegan cafe in Shinsaibashi - Edit

Spending a day in Osaka, my girlfriend and I decided to check this place out. It was really well located, just off the main drag of Shinsaibashi. The atmosphere was pretty cool, very modern and clean, though not a lot of seating, so it might be difficult to get fed here on a busy day.

We both had the three course lunch set, which was very reasonably priced. I had a soup, a bagel with hummus (I was craving hummus after living in Japan without hummus for a year) and a chocolate muffin for desert. All three courses were delicious and had a great depth of flavour. My girlfriend had a couscous salad, a risotto, and a chocolate cake. The risotto was disappointing, but the salad and the chocolate cake were delicious (the best vegan dessert she's ever had, she says). I also had a soy latte, not because I'm a big coffee drinker, but just because I could. It was great to my definitely-not-a-coffee-connoisseur taste-buds.

The meal was great value for money and, apart from a slightly disappointing risotto, the food was all excellent. I would definitely eat here again, and encourage others to do so also.

Pros: Great location, Good value for money, Great desserts

Great Vegan Meals - Edit

I've been to Cafe Alt a couple of times, and the experience has always been positive.
Generous portions of delicious vegan dishes, served and prepared by beautiful, friendly people. Nice setting, near Hommachi Station. The menu is available in English and changes daily.

Pros: food, service, location

Vegan - Edit

First of all the restaurant is totally Vegan now . We went with a non Vegan japanese friend and a vegan italian cook the evening September 2nd . It was absolutely fantastic and will love it . The owners , a young couple, are very friendly , the quiche was delicious as everything else . We recommend strongly this restaurant.

Pros: excellent food, good value, very friendly staff

Friendly place, perhaps a bit expensive - Edit

Nice place for a vegan lunch. We took a chance, since we were close, even though some earlier reviewers mentioned that you had to have a reservation and that this cafe was not for families with kids. However, the staff was very friendly (especially to our daughter), and no reservation was required. Only con was that it was a bit expensive, but only in comparison to other vegan restaurants in the city (and this is one is much closer to the central shopping district, so we were not surprised).

Pros: Friendly

Cons: A bit expensive

Absolutely delicious vegan food, friendly service! - Edit

I went here last night for the first time, and for 2,000 yen, had an absolutely delicious dinner, which consisted of a vegan quiche with Japanese pickles, a savory quinoa/pumpkin/potato pastry, a delicious plate of edamame/soy bean curry, and organic coffee/tea at the end of the meal.

Totally satisfying, and I would go back anytime for dinner. Menu changes daily (there were multiple options to choose from, for both the appetizer and the main dish).

Furthermore, the restaurant is no longer "vegetarian," but is now 100% vegan, which is great! The couple that runs the place are absolutely cool and friendly, and the decor and ambiance of the all-wood traditional rustic Japanese style made the restaurant a pleasure to dine in. I would go back anytime! :)

Big Disappointment - Edit

Went there for lunch on the weekend and was shocked at what a big let down it was. Over-priced, small quantity and unlike the impression given outside on their menu.
Topped my order off with the carrot cake and was served a cold/dry muffin, which was not much more than a 1/4 cup of food... for 600 yen! Unjustifiable in terms of quality and quantity.
Absolute disappointment in the way of Japanese quality and will never return there.

Ticks all the boxes - Edit

"Atl Cafe" is a rare place. It is one of the few restaurants in Japan that is actually easy to find (cross the road towards Nike from the Apple Store, keep walking until you have the pet shop on your left, Atl is opposite on the right). Besides this, I liked just about everything about it. The atmosphere is relaxing, the personnel is very friendly, the menu is available in English and of course the food is both healthy and tasteful.

I went here for dinner and especially the spinach risotto was very tasteful. The very next day I went back and had the hummus bagel, which was even better.

Most tables seat two people, but one can also sit at the bar and watch the food being prepared in the open kitchen. Since this is a low volume place, all food is prepared from scratch so it takes a little longer than usual for an order to be served.

The price for a three course meal (amuse, starter and main dish) might be a bit steep at 2000 yen, but considering the quality of the entire experience I was happy to pay for it. For me Atl ticks all the boxes!

Pros: tasty food, relaxing atmosphere, easy to find

Cons: not cheap (but not expensive either), a little wait for food to be prepared

Cozy, tasy, and artsy, but not that satisfying - Edit

This is a cozy spot if you are in the area and just need a light meal. When seated, you are given three wooden menus (dinner sets, drinks, deserts) and a nice view of the street below. The meals are tasty, though similar to a French restaurant in artistic presentation of food and small portions. I am personally more of a substance-over-style kind of diner, so I will probably not be returning. Though, if you do prefer a plate that looks like a painter's canvas and are eating light, this place is for you.

Pros: flavor, presentation, environment

Cons: portion size, selection, slow

Amazing Staff, great atmosphere! - Edit

This is great place for vegans and the staff is absolutely fabulous. I had the spinach and mushroom risotto - it was fresh and just the right amount filling. The vegan brownie for dessert was also really good. The music was also very laid back, ideal to get away from the busy Shinsaibashi shopping areas. Great place to stop by for lunch.

Pros: Great atmosphere, Polite staff, Good fusion food

Cons: Sort of slow, but worth it

Not kid friendly, make a reservation - Edit

We arrived 20 minutes after they opened, excited to try the food. The restaurant was virtually silent and we were practically shooed away by the hostess who said there was no room for us and to come back another day. I wondered if it was because we had a child with us who was noisier than the library like vibe inside. It seemed like there could have been room for us, and I guess they take reservations but the hostess didn't really explain how we could actually come back and eat there.

Cons: need a reservation, overwhelmingly quiet and formal feeling, not kid friendly

Note: the pin drops a few blocks from where it is - Edit

We went looking for this cafe, and based on where the pin dropped on my map, we were a few blocks off. As we made our way back, we stumbled upon it. Thankfully! It's on that street that it indicates, but only a 1/2 block off the main shopping corridor - just next to Denim & Supply Ralph Lauren. I didn't see the Krispy Kreme other reviews mentioned... I think it has closed. Look for the giant pink gorilla (I've attached a photo).

Fantastic cafe! The woman there (I assume owner) cooked/prepared everything on the spot. We got the lunch set - starter, dish, drink for 1,500 Yen. Great value. Everything tasted so fresh and delicious! I had the soup & risotto and my husband got the salad & bagel with hummus. Truly delicious!!

Also note that this site indicates that they're closed after 2pm. We were there around 3-4pm on a Monday (with a few other patrons), so I think they have expanded their hours.

The cafe is upstairs, but there are plenty of signs indicating where it is, so once you're in front of it (across the street for the giant gorilla), you'll easily find the door you need to go through. This place is clean and cute.

Enjoy!
Updated from previous review on Wednesday February 12, 2014

Pros: Delicious & fresh, English menu, Cute & clean

Cons: pin drops in wrong location on map

Cozy cafe near the central shoppingstreet - Edit

We went here on our first day in Osaka. We tried one of the lunch sets, which contained of a bagel, salad, soup and ratatouille. It was a light and pleasant meal, nothing spectacular. But it was very cheap! We wanted to go there more times, but it was closed due to the new years holiday.

Pros: Cheap, Friendly staff, Central

Nice for variety - Edit

I had the curry which was clean and healthy. Wasn't salty enough so they kindly brought me salt.

I agree with semichi. The bagels are dry and I'm not sure why they would concentrate on bagels.

It's a very nice little environment on the second floor. The staff were very nice and the place feels enlightened.

My suggestions would be to offer more substantial meals - especially considering that the prices are fairly high. As with many vegetarian / vegan restaurants, they need to concentrate on offering *protein* - meaning tofu and other beans. After I left I had to drink some soymilk because I felt undernourished.

The dessert was very good if a bit dry.

Would recommend, and hope to return some day.

Pros: clean food, Enlightened, Nice staff

Cons: Not enough protein, Dry food, Not cheap

Not-so-good food, good dessert and soy cappuccino - Edit

I went there for lunch and was disappointed by their food. They had homemade bagels but there was no spread on it. It was very weird to eat a dry bagel. The quiche was not so good and felt like a giant potato paste cake.

The salad dressing and dessert was pretty good. I like their soy cappuccino the most.

Pros: good location, nice vibe, friendly staff

Cons: food was not so good

Great desserts! - Edit

I got the bagel plate and my friend got curry. My food was good but she said hers was too salty. The desserts were pretty amazing, some of the best in Osaka. We tried the chocolate tart (amazing), shortcake (very good), and pudding (we agreed the pudding itself was amazing, although my friend didn't like the coffee-flavored topping).

Pros: English menu, Mostly vegan, Awesome desserts

Cons: Vegan options not labeled, Depressing pet store across the street, It's on the 2nd floor, so stairs

A nice place - Edit

Atl Cafe was quite nice. I ordered a bagel set, my partner had a vegan curry. I wouldn't say the food was very special. It wasn't off, but I felt it was 'dead', too sterile maybe.. Everything had been prepared in advance, which wouldn't be bad, but the food lacked vitality. Anyway, in Japan you are happy with what you get.

I also ordered a strawberry cake that looked great in the picture but the taste wasn't anything to write home about.

Even though I don't think this place was very special, I would go there again.

Pros: A nice place to have a hot drink&cake :p

Cons: The food isn't freshly made.

Most delicious vegan dessert ever - Edit

This place is really cute. The staff was very friendly, and completely knowledgeable of veganism. We were shown an English menu and told which of the items were vegan. I ordered the bagel lunch set, and my boyfriend got the curry set.

The homemade whole wheat bagel was absolutely delicious, and the soup it came with was so creamy! The set also came with marinated tofu that was very olive oily (yum!). My boyfriend's curry was also very delicious.

The sets come with a drink. I got the soy cappucino and he got the soy latte. The cappucino was fantastic. Then came dessert... I ordered the kugelhopf (sp?), which was like a fruity pound cake. It was delicious, but the chocolate tarte was the MOST DELICIOUS VEGAN DESSERT EVER, and I say that coming from New York City and having eaten all kinds of vegan desserts. What a surprise! I had to tell the staff in (my poor) Japanese how good the dessert was. So chocolatey and rich! Mmmm! And the creamy sauce both desserts came with was so good. The meal was slow, as described on this website, because the staff made everything to order. What a nice, relaxing meal :)

They take credit cards!

Pros: Vegan options, Most delicious vegan dessert ever

Cons: Sort of slow, but worth it

Dinner - Edit

I just got back from eating at Cafe Atl. I was really excited because I've mostly been cooking all of my food, as I've found it pretty difficult to ask for vegetarian items in restaurants. I ordered the curry with cous cous. It was good, but not great. The curry had only a few vegetables, I definitely could have done with more of the curry and veggies. My bill totally for 1600 for the curry and a glass of ice tea. So, in my opinion it's pretty over priced for what you get.
The interior is nice, wood floors and furniture. The staff didn't really speak english but they had an english menu and they seemed to understand most everything I said. I wouldn't mind going back with a friend for lunch or coffee, but I don't think I'll be going back for dinner.

Pros: nice staff, good atmosphere

Cons: small portions, over priced

Went on october 29th 2011 - Edit

Those directions suck poo for people who don't know what the krispy kreme sign looks like. They also suck for anyone who used the map with the marker on it since that isn't where it is at all. I fit both of those. In the hopes that nobody else has the same trouble I did the real directions are as follows:
Completely ignore the map on this site. Just get on the subway and take the train to Shinsaibashi station. Once you get off and out of the station(there are four exits that I noticed) you want to be on the arcade street which is a pedestrian street that is covered. If you aren't on that street when you exit you need to head east a little. It should be about a 15 second walk. There are big street gates with Shinsaibashi written on them at the intersections so you can make sure.
Head south until you hit the krispy kreme....the sign is white with red text, then turn left and Atl cafe & bar will be very close.

Anyways as to the place itself it had a fair number of people in there. I never spoke english with the staff but a couple of others did and I didn't notice them having trouble. I got the veggie curry thing as well and it was good and 900円 with some iced tea. Not bad and a place I would goto again.

Pros: vegan curry, good price

Cons: somewhat limited selection

First day in Osaka for vegan & vegetarian - great! - Edit

I am vegan and my boyfriend is vegetarian. We fortunately printed off a list of veggie friendly restaurants before flying to Japan, as we'd heard eating food without fish would be difficult here. As Osaka was our first destination, we decided to go to Cafe ATL. The directions on this site were very good, as we spotted the Krispy Kreme store straight away. The cafe was lovely inside, and there were only two other people there along with myself and my boyfriend. We don't speak Japanese, however have learned a few key phrases to ask for the type of food we can and can't have, and the staff at Cafe ATL were very accommodating. They complimented us on our Japanese, and said if we were going to Tokyo we'd have to try Deva Deva Cafe. I had brown rice with vegetable curry, which was delicious, and my other half said the dish he had was lovely too. A good start to what we're hoping will be a great trip - thanks Cafe ATL for restoring our hope in finding veggie food in Japan :-)

Pros: Reasonably priced, Good portions, Friendly staff

Return to Osaka Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Cafe Atl closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 9441 times since Feb 2011.