Bolhoed

Contact 020-6261803

Prinsengracht 60-62, Amsterdam, Netherlands,

Vegetarian dining in casual atmosphere. Changing menu, fair portions. Usually one main dish plus salads and quiche. Note that the cheeses are not vegan. Directions: next to Prinsengraght canal in Jordaan area, near Anna Frank house and Noordermarkt. Open Mon-Sun 11:00am-9:30pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, European

First Review by apeekstok

Filling plates - Edit

If you order a big plate, you will get a big plate.
Salad changes every time, but it keeps its amazing flavors. Cozy to sit and beautiful location.

Pros: Good food, Friendly staff

Cons: It can take a while to get your food

Delicious vega restaurant - Edit

Great dishes, especially the quiche I got was de-li-cious! And dont forget to check out the amazing pies/desserts.
Location is great in the city center, and has a cozy atmosphere.
Didnt need to make reservations for lunch on the weekends.

Pros: Good food, 'Gezellig'

Cons: Dont know

Cozy hippie style restaurant - Edit

Very cute little cafe/restaurant with delicious vegan food. Not too expensive and the cakes are amazing! Took my parents there and they liked it as well.

Pros: excellent food, cozy interior, friendly staff

Cute cat - Edit

Delicious vegetarian and vegan food in a scenic environment (next to a canal). Food is fresh and simple, offering typical cafe food (quiches, soups and salads). They offer daily specials, however, these specials could be pricy. Service is attentive. Loved the house cat.

very good - Edit

A very good meal, with a large selection, served in a friendly, funky and pleasant atmosphere. It was very busy when I went - reservations advised!

Pros: well prepared and tasty, good variety

Cons: not particularly creative

Good food, cosy but slow service - Edit

We came here twice in the same day - our idea was to have lunch and dessert before our reservation at the Anne Frank House +- across the street (handy!) but service was so slow that we had to cancel our dessert and wolf down our meals before rushing out (I had a delicious vegetable soup, minestrone-like; excellent bread). We returned later for dessert (had a chocolate cake, a bit dry but still yummy, and a chicory coffee). Busy restaurant and seem a bit understaffed; leave plenty of time for eating.

Pros: Good food, Has vegan desserts

Cons: Slow service

Excellent - Edit

Many vegan options, was delighted to have dinner here (already some months ago). More expensive, but you will be rewarded in taste. Had vegetables from the oven, with fake cheese and soy cream. Could have been real, was enjoying it so much. My place to go if I want a more complete dinner including dessert etc.

Pros: many vegan options, delicious cake, warm atmosphere

Really nice place - Edit

Vegetarian and vegan restaurant. You can easily miss it if you don't put attention to the number in the street. We had the soup of the day, hummus roll, vegan brownie and a mint tea. The peaple working there is really nice. There is even a cat living there.

Pros: Lots of vegan desserts

Warming, comfortable, good vibes - Edit

I REALLY enjoyed my meal here - mushroom miso soup and hummus and bread. WOW. Really warming, the food is prepared on demand so be mindful this isn't a place for a "quick" meal but it IS an amazing place to enjoy the company of a friend, or your own! Delicious and decently priced.

Amazing experiences - Edit

Every time i have been here, the food has been amazing and satisfying. You certainly get enough. And certainly enough healthy stuff. :) Also the people who serve are amazing! Very calm and nice.

Pros: Healthy, a lot of food, Cosy

Cons: Little bit expensive

good choice for vegetarians - Edit

Ate dinner here on a recent trip to Amsterdam. We came on a Friday night without a reservation and the place was pretty packed. Fortunately it was a little bit later in the evening and we managed to get a table. Reservations are probably a good idea.

The food was very good by Amsterdam standards with nice sized portions. They also have a small but nice selection of beers. The wait staff was nice and friendly although very busy, so busy that they forgot to bring us the drinks we had ordered! However, they didn't charge us for the beers we had ordered to make up for it. Nice!

Pros: good food, friendly staff

Cons: can get very busy

Nice place, good food, amazing desserts - Edit

I've tried de Bolhoed with a non-vegetarian friend and we both really enjoyed our dinner. He took the Mexican menu and I took the North-African one. As a starter, we had hummus with pita bread and guacamole with tortillas. The guacamole was really excellent, fresh and a little spicy and the hummus was good. My friend really liked his enchilada and I appreciate the North-African dish, mostly the puff pastry filled in with vegetables, sauce and tofu. It was great. Portions were very fair and we chose a chocolate cake with blueberry and strawberry as a dessert. It was so gooooood! Moreover, the place is pleasant and the staff friendly. Prices are not so high in comparison to food quality and those of similar places in Amsterdam.

Small tip: they accept credit cards whereas they wrote the opposite on the menu...

Pros: vegan menus, great food, amazing desserts, pleasant place, friendly staff

Cons: not all vegan, cash only?

Would you like a quiche with the salad? - Edit

Not being a knowing fan of tofu, I personally struggled with the menu a bit. It prices were also a bit higher than other places we went to (totaled 40 euros). My dad chose the enchiladas, my mum had the vegetable quiche, and I had tomato and ginger soup (soup of the day). They do make everything from scratch, but It wasn't more than 10 minutes of "normal" service time. My dad enjoyed his enchiladas: it all worked well together and had a nice texture (he did say it would 5/5 if it had mince). I couldn't taste the ginger in my soup, and it was hearty with vegetables and some tofu. I'm guessing the bread is vegan because it had a different texture to normal bread. The crust had poppyseeds on and it was /very/ chewy. My mum felt very full after hers because the salad was so big. The quiche had broccoli, carrot, pepper, and sweet potato in; had a poppyseed top (it made it look burnt); it had cauliflower in the crust, giving it a nice taste. She enjoyed it overall, but the salad could have been on the smaller side.
We were all quite comfortably full so we didn't get any dessert, although the looked lovely.

Pros: All organic and healthy, Nice atmosphere and view

Cons: Massive salad with quiche, Hot water in female toilet is /very/ hot

Cat on the menu? - Edit

The quiche and salad were really great. Outstanding. Though I crunched down on something loud twice. I sure hope that was from the poppy seed crust, and not, ugh, egg shells. My sister ordered the salad, and raved about how fresh and flavorful it was. Large portions. I was "hounded" by the resident cat. Ok, sweet cat, not its fault that it lives in a restaurant. But it kept jumping up onto my lap. No, I wasn't going to pet it, I am allergic to their dander. I lifted my plate high into the air, so I wasn't going to accidentally eat cat fur. The waitress witnessed my distress, and calmly scooped the cat up and took him away. Then I saw her grab a dessert from the display case with her unwashed cat hand. Ugh. I know all sorts of interesting things happen to food in the kitchen, but that sure wasn't very appetizing, hence, we skipped on the dessert. Again, the cat jumped up on me, and I figured it was trying to tell me to leave if I wasn't going to pet him. Great way to turn over the tables for more customers. Smart tactic.

Pros: Quiche, Fresh tasting salad

Cons: Eggshells in quiche?, Jumping cat, Unsanitary food practices

AMKNL 18 Mar 2015 - Thx for your post - saves us the hassel going there.
We've got cats ourselves but are very choosy about hygienic issues.

tasty dinner - Edit

We arrived at about 6pm for an early dinner, but every table except one in the back by the stairs was already reserved. We grabbed the remaining table and ordered a beer and juice to start. For dinner, we had the vegan daily special and the North African entrée. Both were delicious and plentiful, helping ease the high price. Dirk got a espresso and oatmeal cookie for dessert. The service was a bit slow, but overall, we had a good experience, but I always wish vegetarian places would be all vegan instead.

Pros: vega options, delicious and plentiful

Cons: not all vegan

recommendable - Edit

Been here last week on a business trip and poped in by accident. I was rather busy and so told the friendly staff. The hummus set with salad was done in a short time and was delicious. I would have really tried some desert but as said there was not enough time. Definitely a plase to recommend even prices are not really cheap.

Delish - Edit

We found this place through Yelp. The name is De Bolhoed, not just Bolhoed.

It's pricey (but Amsterdam isn't cheap like Berlin) but so worth it. We split the vegan item of the day, which was a heaping plate of a half dozen items, with a salad, pumpkin soup and bread, and a brownie for dessert, all vegan, all delish. Especially the brownie.

The restaurant is super cool: we say at a shared table for six under a monstrosity/artistic chandelier. There's a lot of "cool" art on the walls, and the whole place feels very Brooklyn.

It was busy and we didn't have reservations but we were seated right away anyway. The waitstaff was running around like crazy, but it wasn't a long wait for our food. The waitress even let me charge my phone under the counter.

Pros: good vegan selection, vegan desserts, cool interior

Cons: cash only?

Best veggie place I visited in Amsterdam - Edit

I really enjoyed my meal at this restaurant on Prinsengracht. It's rather in the northern part of this canal, so I walked much longer to get here than I expected, but it was worth it.
I chose the vegan ragout croissant without knowing what to expect, so I was quite surprised when it looked like a wholemeal roll. It tasted really good and was very filling.
On the other hand, the dish is more expensive with a side-salad, but that salad was so small that it rather looked like a mere decoration. If you pay an extra for the salad, I think you can expect a bit more. Same goes for the carrot juice which was fresh and yummy, but also tiny.
Service was ok and the location and interior is really nice, so altogether this was still the best veggie place I visited during my week in Amsterdam.

Pros: Nice location, Delicious and filling, Friendly service & English menu

Cons: A bit expensive

Unleash the quiche - Edit

Given that eating out in Amsterdam can be a little pricey, we thought that the substantial portion of quiche with very fresh side salad was good value here. Very enjoyable food. Decor a little old fashioned feeling inside but that is of minimal importance and only an observation. We'd definitely return. Service was fine though a little curt.

Pros: Taste, Value, Fresh

Cons: Decor inside, Slightly curt service

Lovely Place on Prinsengracht - Edit

'The Bowler Hat' on Prinsengracht in the Jordaan area is a lovely place for vegetarians and vegans or for anyone seeking good, wholesome food.
The menu changes daily with regular, staple dishes. 'Side' salads are big portions so beware of that! Puddings come from the 'pie' fridge and are equally generous in size. The team make their own biscuits and cookies too.
On this occasion we paid a lunchtime visit and enjoyed a delicious pasty with salad and left completely full up.
The restaurant is cosy in Autumn and Winter and has some outside seating in warmer weather. Service is excellent and very friendly.

Pros: Location, Service, Changing menu

Cons: Could be a little cheaper

Worth It! - Edit

It was a challenge for my girlfriend and I to get here. Between my complete lack of direction and the really bad weather outside we did consider just jumping into any nearby restaurant just to get out of the rain.
When we finally arrived it was exactly what I hoped. Warm and cosy, casual and charming interior.
The prices are not cheap but wow is it worth it. If I remember they organized the menu geographically, and I had a north African dish. So tasty!
I'd definitely recommend this place.

Pros: Interesting menu choices, Unusual interior

Cons: Price

gezellig - Edit

This is a very nice place. The food is awesome, tasty, healthy and you even get small bonus snacks not mentioned on the menu card. The staff is friendly and in a jovial mood. Vegan dishes are clearly labeled. Thumbs up!

Pros: food, staff, atmosphere

Cons: prices

a second home for vegans - Edit

i live in amsterdam, and i come often in this restaurant the bolhoed.
not only because it is such a good vegan place, but also because you could come here everyday and have a different meal any time you come by,
so it happens that some day is is better than another day , but in general it is always really good. since the euro took over the country , everything got more expensive, so this place was not an exception for that. still the price is affordable for what you get. top quality vegan food in wide variety with a lot of cook fantasy. lets not forget the great choices of cakes they have , and also for vegans.
in the evening it mostly is crowded so you better need a reservation by telephone a few hours before. in the afternoon it is nice and quiet and you got all the place for yourself. it is not a 5 star decoration, but more a hippy feeling. but the food is for sure 5 stars for vegans, and that is the most important. it makes it worth the money.

Pros: 5 star vegan food, everyday new menu, great vegan cakes

Cons: usual busy in evenings, could be a bit cheaper

Two Thumbs Up! - Edit

The food was delicious. I should come back with a friend next time because the portions are huge! I think the food is fairly priced and they don't rely on faux meat. I loved the interiors and the fact that they had Sublime playing in the background!

Pros: Great Tasting Food, Good Ambiance, Servers Speak And Understand English

Cons: Not Very Cheap

Fantastic food and a great atmosphere - Edit

I popped in to Bolhoed for a coffee with my boyfriend at the weekend and we liked it so much that we returned for dinner in the evening. I had the vegan special which consisisted of a bean stew, quiona, salads, baked veggies and so much more! I ate every bit on my plate! I also had an organic white wine and a coffee, which was delicious too. The prices are very fair in this place and it is without a doubt the best veggie restaurant that I have been to in Amsterdam. Highly recommnded!

Pros: Good atmosphere, Great food, Nice atmosphere

Amsterdam's Finest - Edit

I go to Bolhoed every time I visit Amsterdam (most recently just before Christmas). It is my favourite place to get vegan food in the city. Call me boring but I always have the vegan dish of the day. The last time this had a Mexican feel to it, I'm pretty sure it's been different on each visit. The restaurant is located in a nice part of the city overlooking a canal. The interior is kind of 'old-school' vege cafe but is cosy and warm (I always seem to visit Amsterdam in the winter). Others have mentioned that it is expensive, which to be fair it kind of is, but I find that when I eat here I don't need another meal that day - the portions are very generous. The staff are friendly and can explain any questions you may have. I fully recommend Bolhoed!!

Yummy - Edit

Not the cheapest choice in the city. I shared the daily menu with my boyfriend and it was delicious. Many different foods on the plate and a good variety of vegan desserts.

Pros: many desserts, delicious, nice atmosphere

we`ll come back again - Edit

have been there two days ago, and thinking about it let us smile - nice atmosphere, and yammy Food! the aduki-bean-starter came fast and was good. then I had the vegan dish of the day, a composition of various nice dishes; my husband had the North-african plate, spicy and yammy. after that we were too much filled up to try one of the great looking cakes - next time! we`ll definitly be back there during our next visit to Amsterdam. and will make an Reservation - we were very lucky to get a table at all!

Pros: they know how to use spices, nice atmosphere, adequate prices

Filling and yummy, but not so cheap - Edit

I went here with a non-veg friend and we both really enjoyed it. Had the dish of the day, and it was good. Nothing out of the ordinary, to be honest, but it was a hearty mix of salads with a good amount of bread. Ended up paying around 13 euro for it, but I was comfortably full. Drinks looked expensive, so we decided to skip them. They have a good mix of vegan and vegetarian dishes, so it's nice for those who are not vegan. I had a vegan dessert, which looked delicious, but wasn't that good. So I would recommend to skip the dessert and perhaps have a drink instead. Service was okay, and the place is really cute!

Pros: great environment, large portions, vegan and vegetarian options

Cons: pricey, desserts are not really nice, not super flavorful

Good for Vegans Visiting Amsterdam - Edit

My partner and I have eaten here several times when visiting Amsterdam and all experiences have been good. The staff were really friendly, and there are several vegan choices. At first we thought it looked really expensive, but changed our minds when we saw the size of the plates they serve!

We normally share a few appetizers or an appetizer and vegan plate of the day. We've had veggie pate, hummus, sandwiches and savoury vegan pastries- all good, all with a nice selection of side salads. Normally I'll indulge in a dessert, because the vegan cake selection is really impressive also.
Updated from previous review on Monday October 21, 2013

Pros: Vegan Desserts, Nice location, Generous portions

Vegan food - Edit

They have a vegan day dish. Usually I take this. That is the dish that will be served quickest.

For vegans, this is probably the best option in Amsterdam.

Nice desert pie made without sugar.

Pros: Vegan

Cons: Service sometimes a bit uninterested

Perfect - Edit

This is probably one of the best vegan restaurants I have visited. And I have visited a lot.
The place and atmosphere is so cozy, the staff friendly and the portions very generous. And their selections of cakes, wow, amazing! A vegans dream come true :) Good wine as well.
Good central location.

Excellent vegan meals again - Edit

Our third visit to Bolhoed this year. And the food was great again. We both had the vegan dish of the day which consisted of a selection of items. All tasty and filling.
And the desserts are amazing. I had the coconut cream with berries, and Karen had the vegan berry cheesecake.
The fittings and décor are decidedly dated, but the atmosphere is good. Staff were friendly and helpful. Might be necessary to book in high season. It is slightly on the pricey side, but worth it.

Pros: Good vegan fare, Location

Cons: On the pricey side

disappointment - Edit

I hoped and expected this to be a great vegetarian restaurant. We order a lentil coconut soup. It turned out to be a cold soup and it tasted really bad. We hadn't even finished it when the main course was put on the table. The waiter did nit seem to care. It looked like he was stoned. The main course wasn't bad, but nothing special. I ordered a sweet white wine: they didn't have it. Neither s sweet rose or prosecco. I didn't get my still mineral water in a bottle, but in a glass. I wasn't sure it wasn't tap water. It all made an unprofessional impression and it wasn't at all cheap. The only thing I liked was the friendly fat cat who kept the guests company.

Pros: cat, location

Cons: quality of food, service, drinks

Wonderful, nutritious vegan restaurant! - Edit

We were in Amsterdam for five days and ate dinner at Bohoed three times. The food was excellent and fresh. I had the vegan meal of the day all three times and each time it was different, interesting, varied, flavorful and filling. The vegan desserts were also excellent. I loved the apple pie and stuffed myself. Don't be deterred by the construction in front. There is plenty of seating inside and out. Never had a reservation and never had a problem getting seated. Service is friendly and prompt. Prices were reasonable. Highly recommend!

Pros: excellent food, fresh vegetables, nice variety

Good atmosphere and tasty food - Edit

While spending some hours walking up and down Prinsengracht i visited bolhoed twice - first for a coffee and then later for dinner. During the afternoon it was very hot outside so the cafe was empty but the coffee was good and there is a nice cat living there. That evening it was much more lively - seating outside and plenty of people indoors too. There there are plenty of vegan options on the menu which is a major bonus but it is EXPENSIVE - probably due to being on the main tourist strip it becomes acceptable. I had a very basic stir fry which cost €17 and cake which was over €5. Ouch! That said, it's in a very convenient location for hungry tourists like myself :)

Pros: Beautiful cakes, Good size portions, Atmosphere

Cons: Very expensive, Food a little too basic

Good old Bolhoed! - Edit

Good old Bolhoed! Since I moved to the Netherlands about 13 years ago I come here every few months. It is definitely a charming place - with the charm of the 70's and early 80's. Nice and cozy with nice colorful decorations. It makes me feel like times didn't change since then, they even take "cash only"...

I love to say hi to the Micky the cat who I believe has been here forever. Am always happy to see that he is still around. The vegan cake has always been good and I like to have one piece of it along with a soy cappuccino. Perfect! Especially during summertime when you can sit outside at the canal.

The location is great, anyway, and in walking distance from Central Station.

For the rest: I have seen friendly and not so friendly (but never rude or grumpy) staff, fast and quite slow service, great and not so great food. Those are the variables.

Yesterday was a day of superfriendly and fast service and not so great food, in my opinion. I didn't have cake, but the vegan dish of the day consisting of various different components, all on the same plate. As usually, it was quite a big portion. The part which was really good was made of seitan cooked with red wine. But it was just a small part. There was a cooked corncob with loads of margarine on it which did not melt because the cob was cold (not sure if that was the intention). There was half of an eggplant baked with 2 slices of tomatoes and one slice of lemon (with hard peel) on top. This was cold, too and quite tasteless, apart for the lemon slice. There was some dark mass (olives with black beans?) which was a bit salty while the rest of the components (apart from the seitan) was quite bland, for example the salad, I don't recall exactly what the remaining components were. The dish did look quite good, though, I uploaded a photo here. For dessert I had a brownie. Not good, not bad...

But I am convinced: next time, or the time after, the food will be great again. I will be back...

Pros: great vegan cakes, cozy atmosphere, often great food

Cons: food is not always great

Perfect atmosphere, amazing food (incl. desserts) - Edit

I first went to this restaurant about 4 years ago, and I returned this past week. Both times I ordered the "special of the day" -- which is exactly what you ought to try!!! It's €17.50 for a giant plate of many different types of food that aren't otherwise on the menu. This most recent time, my partner and I were able to split it -- we supplemented it with the Pate of the Day and a half-slice of 2 different cakes. And we had leftovers!!! Very filling.

NOTE: Both times, I had dinner around 7:30 or 8pm, so the special of the day had not run out, as some other reviewers have encountered.

The special of the day, this most recent time, included: an empanada filled with seitan mince (AMAZING); sweet potato fries with homemade guacamole (or was it homemade vegan mayonnaise?); kidney beans with tomatoes; rice with corn; cold stir-fried veggies incl. yellow squash, zucchini, green beans, and some whiteish vegetable I didn't recognize, covered in a fabulous homemade sauce; and a salad with a lovely homemade dressing.

The pate of the day was a tofu herb paste (served cold) to go on delicious toasted, warm bread. Our cakes were the Chocolate "Mud" Cake with raspberry and the vegan raspberry cheesecake. We loved both desserts, but agreed the cheesecake was a bit better -- more moist! We had a difficult time choosing at all, so the staff helped us out (and suggested the half-slice option). Other desserts were a vegan chocolate brownie with pecans on top, a whipped cream-topped fruit pie/cake, another type of (more typical) pie, an orange poppyseed cake, a non-vegan cheesecake.

The restaurant is also simply lovely. The outside is hard to recognize because it's basically a "secret garden" of an exterior -- almost completely covered in foliage. Inside, the tables are set so that there's a surprising amount of flow / space for an restaurant set in the city-center of Amsterdam. The walls are painted with friendly, warm spring colors, especially salmon-y pinks (if I remember correctly), and some designs and images painted over top. It's just a very picturesque, romantic arrangement. De Bolhoed also looks out over the Prinsengracht canal, which makes it a lovely walk to reach the establishment.

All-in-all: would definitely go again, and definitely recommend. It's not cheap, but the portions are large, so you can plan accordingly.
Updated from previous review on Thursday June 27, 2013

Pros: tasty, beautiful, daily special -- full of diversity!

Cons: bit pricey, so many desserts it's hard to choose!!!!

The Perfect Setting - Edit

What more could you ask, a beautiful location on the canal in the fabulous Jordaan area of Amsterdam. Two fair sized rooms, great food but not fantastic, vegan choice, cakes and a relaxed environment. I always make a beeline for this place whenever in Amsterdam. I have to say though at €3 for a cup of tea and €5 plus for a slice of vegan cake they're having a bit of a laugh but I'm always drawn to the Bower Hat having first discovered it in 2002.

Pros: location, vegan cakes

Cons: very expensive

Bolhoed good times bad times you I've had my shar - Edit

I think the food is really pretty good. The vegan cakes are main reason why I would go here. AS far as atmosphere goes its a mix of earthy crunchy (the part I like) and uptight.
For the most part this place requires a reservation and has strange rules in regards to take out food.

Pros: Vegan Cakes and dessert!, Food is good

Cons: Strange take away rules, Uptgiht staff for such a relaxed place, Need reservation when place is empty

Visiting the Bolhoed - Edit

I went to the Bolhoed to have dinner a few months ago. First thing I noticed were the cats, they are lovely! The dinner itself was ok, the hummus was delicious but the main course didn't really suit me. Friendly staff and nice atmosphere. I will visit another time and try another main course.

Quick cereal coffee with vegan oat cookies - Edit

We planned our visit to Amsterdam mid March 2013 expecting Spring weather. Instead we got minus temperatures and the coldest Spring weather since the 1920's. We heard about Bolhoed and were thrilled to find it. We dashed in for a quickie thaw-out session and had a cereal coffee made with soy milk and vegan oat cookies. Both yummy!
Bolhoed has laid back atmosphere, decor and staff.
We will be back. Especially to try the yummy sweet treats we only saw when we were leaving. Like raw vegan chocolate tart. It looked heavenly.

Pros: Relaxed, Veggie friendly, Cosy

Cons: Can't think of any

Quite good cafe-style vegetarian and vegan food - Edit

I have eaten here quite a few times. As with most vegetarian/vegan restaurants in Amsterdam the service is slow (why IS that??). But the menu offers a range of different choices, both vegan and vegetarian, and they always have vegan and vegetarian specials. If you're a cake fiend, there are also quite a few cakes to choose from. The food is not amazing, but it is pretty good and within the ordinary standard that you would expect at most cafes where the food is prepared by cooks rather than trained chefs. The portions are big and the prices are fair. Even though I quite like the food, I must admit I struggle to get my non-vegetarian friends to go with me. I think maybe it's because the dishes are a bit retro classic vegetarian (lots of aubergine and cheese served Mexican style). But I usually go for the Bolhoed salad and quite enjoy it.

Pros: Nice atmosphere, Good selection, Lovely outdoor seating in summer

I've been here four times for lunch and have experienced nothing but friendly and prompt service (so I'm a bit confused by reviews that suggest something different!). Also, for 6 Euro that quiche with the side salad is a bargain. I haven't been here for dinner yet, nor have I tried dessert (but they look amazing).

Pros: cheap, friendly, delicious

Must-visit in Amserdam for vegans - Edit

The fist thing you see when you find and enter this place it is nice exterior and interior. Then friendly smiling staff. Then you get the menu which has many food options to chose from. Then you taste the dishes and finally conclude that the restaurant is worth visiting. I can't say that it is cheap but I am ready to pay for excellent food, non intrusive service, and great atmosphere.

Pros: Delicious food, Friendly staff, Nice atmosphere

nice day yesterday! - Edit

I finaly got vege restrant in ams......I was super hungry so I chose hummus set with salad! was soooooo yummy! I trying to test all restraint for hummus.....but here was my LOVE tasty was sooo yum! salad was the lady made for me! nice combination! thank you see you again Dank je! hehe

Pros: good

Cons: nice, staff

Cozy, Vegan-friendly Spot in a Great Neighborhood - Edit

I'd heard about this place for years and even though it's not 100-percent vegan, it was the first restaurant on my must-visit list in Amsterdam. Bolhoed has a relaxed, American coffeehouse-style vibe. Specials are written on a small chalkboard. Lunch items are limited; the menu expands at dinnertime (after 5pm). We stuffed ourselves on the two vegan daily specials, and at around €6 each, we thought it was a real bargain; the food was quality and wholesome and really tasty. Delicious organic wine was €4 a glass. Desserts were lovely to look at, slightly less amazing to taste, but most were vegan and that's something. We did't want to order two desserts, so I solicited the waiterperson's help. Should we get the pecan cake or bluberry cake? She said "why don't I give you half a slice of each for the price of one?" I loved that idea! I also loved the fat orange tabbycat who roamed the dining room and welcomed cuddles from us strangers.

Pros: cozy, great location, several vegan options

Cons: not as many hot menu items at lunchtime, not 100 percent vegan

Make a reservation - Edit

This restaurant is delicious and charming. I ate there twice with my 12 year old daughter and we both loved it. It's conveniently located right near the Anne frank museum which is a must see . Reservations are a MUST or you will be turned away or forced to take out. Which is what happened the first night we tries to eat there. Second time we made rezzies

Pros: Delicious, Plentiful portions, Charming setting on canal

Cons: Expensive, Reservations needed

Great location and good food - Edit

We went to this restaurant after visting the Anna Frank House (it is a 5 minute walk). Although it is stated that opening hours are only until 9:30 p.m. we arrived about 9:15 and stayed until 10:15. The food was good, the portions large, with a nice variety of dishes, also suitable for children, and prices were quite reasonable. It is worthwhile getting the complete menu (first course, main course and dessert) and splitting it with another person while adding another main course (we think the complete menu is too much for one person). The service was rather slow since there was only 1 waitress (and 1 person in the kitchen), but this seems to be the norm in Holland. The waitress recommended the desserts, which were vegan, but we (who are not vegan) did not like them. The place was almost full when we came, which attests to its popularity. This is a good palce to eat follwoing a day of sightseeing.

Pros: good value

Cons: slow service

great atmosphere, great service, great food - Edit

I sat outside and was slightly apprehensive at this, but it was a great idea!the chilled atmoshphere carried its way to the outside seating. my dad and I shared the guacamole dip and hummus dip for starters which was divine and shard the meal of the day platter - this was supposed to be for one, so bare in mine the portions here are big - which was a mixture of veg, pulses, tofu, sauces, salad. Don't miss the desserts! I got a vegan brownie to go which was amazing. The service was lovely and relaxed, and they told us to come back in a friendly way which was heart warming. I would defiantely return and I URGE YOU TO GO (it's not too hippy, and I did not encounter any weed smokers!)

Pros: good food, great service, nice seating

Nice but pricy - Edit

I had a soup and a salad lunch. For a lunch in an informal place like this I found it pretty expensive. Portions were good enough as well as taste, but nothing special. Service, music and cat were all good.

Pros: Taste, Service, Athmosphere

Cons: Not vegan, Expensive

A fine meal - Edit

Bolhoed was an interesting experience. I loved the neighborhood and charming atmosphere inside (including some contemporary graffiti-style paintings), but the staff was a bit intimidating. Not a huge deal, but this was the least English-friendly place we went in Amsterdam - the waitress began speaking to us in Dutch every interaction, even though we'd told her we only spoke English. Also, fewer vegan options than I'd expect for a vegetarian restaurant (less than half of options). However, what I got, which was a sampling of various things, salad, beets, beans and more was absolutely delicious except for the bland white asparagus, which central Europeans seem to like for some reason - saw it everywhere on our trip. For vegan options, this is a step up from De Waaghals; however, my girlfriend, an omnivore, liked De Waaghals much better.

Pros: healthy, delicious vegan food, great location, charming atmosphere

Cons: not many vegan options, not so english-friendly

Great for vegans - Edit

Wow! What a find. Lovely relaxed vibe, great location (canalside, close to town but quiet street) and fantastic food (huge vegan choice).

I had the vegan special of the day: The lentil & bean soup was a large portion and very tasty. The choice of half a dozen vegan mains turned out to be a smorgasbord, every one of which would have earned 5*. By this time my friend was full, but I was determined to try a cake (I had a choice of 5 or 6 vegan ones!) I chose one called something like 'you'll hardly believe this is vegan cake' and it was quite honestly the best I've ever tasted (and I live in Brighton!)

The comment about no alcohol is out of date. The house red was great.

We were lucky and got the last table on a Monday evening so I'd recommend booking.

Pros: Vegan cake, Chilled out vibe, Great choice for vegans

Hippie vegetarian with a great location - Edit

This vegetarian place has been around for a while. It's not cheap,
but it being lunchtime we weren't in a mood for large plates of food,
so we assembled lunch out of a few appetizer plates. We lucked out by
sticking to basics, because every single dish happened to be
excellent: we each kept trying to dig into each others' dishes while
protecting our own. The staff were very friendly, too, and attentive
enough that our hungry toddler didn't get fussy.

On the other hand, the menu is not terribly creative, and the place is
definitely on the grungy side; having had one good meal we didn't feel
inclined to push our luck expecting another. (In addition, those with
allergies should note that as with many Amsterdam restaurants, you've
got to be okay having cats around.)

Pros: all veg, location

Cons: grungy, not cheap

Amsterdams finest - Edit

I last visited Amsterdam in 2005 and was delighted that after 6 years the Bolhoed was still there. It's location near the Anne Frank house is excellent for the tourists among us. Surprisingly enough very little has changed in that time. I was delighted that the vegan options were still available. I was there for lunch and had vegan croissant stuffed with veg and arame. Very tasty. My daughter had vegan tofu pate with toast and both dishes had a small salad. The fridge with vegan cakes aplenty is still there displaying all the fine options to have. Or chocolate and vanilla cake made up for the brownie not being the best. The soya hot chocolate was divine. Bolhoed has a great down to earth atmosphere. Hopefully I will be back in Amsterdam before another 6 years but I will be heading here first.

Pros: Vegan Cake, Good portions, good location

Awesome Vegan Restaurant in Amsterdam - Edit

De Bolhoed was exactly what we were looking for: a restaurant with nice ambiance, high quality organic food, vegan options, and yummy dessert. And, it was very reasonably priced. We had the vegan entree, which was a very generous portion (probably could have split one) and the vegan apple pie. Definitely highly recommended.

Pros: High quality ingredients, Ambiance, vegan options

Nice healthy food, and nice interior - Edit

I took the pita with hummous and sallad. Costs about 14 euros but it's worth it. The sallad is to die for, but the pita was a bit dry and burnt. Very big portions, you don't get hungry for a couple of hours again.

They also had nice looking deserts, but just order a small meal if you want one of thoose. I did'nt have any room left. ;(

Very nice staff, and a lovely interior. Visit during summer so you can sit outside, they have like three tables just by the canal. Very close to the Anne Frank house aswell, perfect location for tourists. And they had plenty of vegan dishes!

Pros: Nice interior, Great staff, Tasty food

Cons: No alcohol, Dry pitabreads

Excellent place - Edit

Ate there today, Aug. 12, 2011. They have a regular lunch menue including a salad that has half a squash, TVP "meat," veggies and lots more. Get the small one, no way you will finish the large! Reasonably priced at 7.50 Euros. Also had a great dessert. Highly recommended and easy to access after seeing the Anne Frank house museum.

Pros: Tasty, price, choice

Great place! - Edit

A real tip when going here is to BOOK AHEAD; it's only a small place and it gets full quickly when it's high season. We called ahead and was told a table would be ready in an hour, which it was.
We both had the vegan meal of the day, which was good value at 16 euros as we got a great deal of food: seasoned tofu; couscous; alfalfa; salad; tomatoes; spicy roasted sweet potatoes; lentil and carrot stew...just to name a few things on the plate! A perfect platter of food for a hot day. The only complaint was that the couscous was too dry but I rectified that with the chilli oil on the table.
We also had a slice of cake each: I had pumpkin and ginger and my partner had strawberry and lime. Both delicious but a bit too much after the food.
The service is not quick but the waitress is on her own and is very knowledgeable and attentive when you ask her something. Many dishes can also be made vegan.
The decor is awesome. It's very arty in there and you can even buy the pictures if you so wish.
It's fair to say, however, that we did not so much leave Bolhoed as waddle out of it. You may want to consider skipping pudding or sharing a main if you are a light eater!
You can probably get posher and more fancier food elsewhere if you want it but for honest wholesome grub in a nice atmosphere you can't go wrong. I'd go back.

Pros: good food, good decor, friendly waitress

Cons: dry couscous!, very big portion sizes

Best meal we had in Amsterdam - Edit

Had dinner here with my partner during our trip to Amsterdam. I ordered the vegan set menu of the day which included a big bowl of lentil soup with bread as starter, a huge plate of assorted warm foods as main, and any one dessert from their dessert fridge. All for €24, pretty good deal compared to other vegetarian restaurants in town. Biggest problem was to decide which cake to choose; they had 4, 5 different kinds on offer that evening, and that was just the vegan ones alone. My partner ordered a quiche with a salad, and he loved it too.

Service was fine, but it was kind of an early evening on a weekday. If it does get slow, just take the time and look at the interior more closely, kind of funky in a pretty way. And don't forget to check out Delicious Food just around the corner, fantastic health food store!

Pros: yummy food, great value, vegan desserts

Fabulous and friendly! - Edit

Loved this restaurant! They had a great selection of dishes, and a vegan menu within the main menu (for dinner only). Their house salad was phenomenal - ideal for raw foodists. We also had curry croissants, and tofu mushroom spread, and very good vegan desserts. Highly recommend it. Nice and casual, on a beautiful street. Staff very friendly. Only downside was the kitchen closes earlier than the restaurant, so we missed out on the last evening as we got there too late.

Pros: great menu, wonderful desssert, super atmosphere

Cons: kitchen closes rather early

Best Veg food in Amsterdam. For years. - Edit

A great place, fantastic food. Come with patience, here they live and work on 'Amsterdam time'. If your food takes much time, you can always take your drink and smokes outside to their bench in the sun. The option of sitting at a large communal table offers chance for socialization with nice people. And don't miss out on the desserts- check the fridge early and reserve the one you like if it seems to be in short supply...
The veg/tofu filled pastry is legendry yum. I have spent many hours there. Well worth it.

Pros: Food, Co-op !!, Decor

Nothing extraordinary - Edit

We had heard many good things about Bolhoed but unfortunately it did not live up to our expectations. The food was ok, filling but not particularly flavourful, and the service was very slow. The place itself is nice and located in a beautiful area, with seating available on the Prinsengracht, so it's handy if you're walking around Jordaan.

VEGAN MEAL OF THE DAY 5* - Edit

Get the vegan meal of the day. Lots of choice on the plate. Tastes Great!

Service a bit slow, but the food is worth waiting for.

Large mouth-watering choice of both vegan and veg. deserts.
Definitely worth a visit if you are visiting Amsterdam.

We didnt make a reservation, but we were asked when we arrived if we had one.... so maybe we'll make a reservation when we go back!

Pros: Great Good, Great Desserts

Cons: Slowish Service

Probably the best place for veg food in Amsterdam - Edit

I went to Bolhoed for lunch and managed to secure a seat outside on a beautifully sunny Fall afternoon. You need to order inside at the counter, but be careful when crossing the road (between the restaurant and its outside seating) - scooters, bikes, cars and horses all use this bustling small street!

The vegan options were plentiful for a lunch menu and I had a vegan croissant stuffed with tofu, seaweed and a curry seasoning. The croissant was tasty and a very innovative idea. It was served with a generous side of salad and a delicious hummous dressing.

There are a selection of beers on offer as well as teas, juices and other soft drinks.

About half of the desserts were vegan, and the vegan chocolate brownie was fantastic - I got it to go and it lasted me for nearly two days (huge portion!).

All in all, a great veggie spot in central Amsterdam and a welcome break from the fast food culture of other areas.

Pros: Good menu, Great atmosphere, Vegan options

Cons: Relatively small, Not cheap, Can be very busy

Get the vegan meal of the day. - Edit

Someone had recommended I try this place so I made sure to do so. I will agree with the person below that the service could be better - the waitress wasn't helpful with a few things. Anyway, we shared the vegan meal of the day(approx $16 Euros). This was enough for two people and was very good, the theme for the meal that day was Indian and it consisted of pakora, a lentil curry side, and a vegetable curry side. Although it wasn't spicy like Indian food, everything was very good and I'd certainly go there again. I regret not trying the dessert that night, so be sure to try it because it looked really tasty.

Worst service ever - Edit

Food is adequate, it was better a few years back. Now, the service is the worst I have experienced. They need to remove their staff and their attitude and replace them with nicer and attentive people.

Mohanbaba 22 Feb 2013 - You are absolutely right on, & I have walked out in disgust with two waitress's horrible slow service & attitudes. But we have had some good food & service there from some of the waiters.

Lots to offer - Edit

I dined at Bolhoed on my one night in Amsterdam earlier this month. Based on some of the standout reviews from dedicated members I decided to try it for myself and throw my two cents into the discussion.

Service is slow. Call it European, call it whatever. It's slow, but everyone here was friendly and it's not too hard to look past it unless you are dining in a rush. My sincere advice: don't eat here unless you have the time to bask in its charms and delights.

The menu is limited but there is absolutely something for everyone - vegans included. The menu mentions how most ingredients are organic, which I hold in high regard.

I ordered the "African" titled meal, featuring a tofu filo pastry, couscous and a hearty salad. The tofu filo was very good, likewise the couscous and the salad, while very fresh, a bit too one-sided with beets dominating colour and taste. Portion size was extremely large and, as a result, I just did not have the appetite for anything from their desert fridge which glows with a divine fluorescent light, inviting any and all to gawk at how amazing everything in there looks. I will have to go back for desert sometime. I was purposely waiting to see both how long it would take the get the bill after the server had cleared my plate, while, in the meantime, hoping I would quickly digest my entree, making room in my stomach for some sweets. Alas, the meal was just too filling!

Be aware that the service, while friendly, is not particularly attentive. Despite this, it is a great place to hang out, enjoy interesting, unique decor and a really lovely, affectionate cat.

Pros: Mostly organic, Nice staff and decor, The sweetheart cat

Cons: Portions perhaps too big, Slow service, Limited menu

The Ultimate - Edit

The food was so good at Bolhoed I went back there 3x while visiting in Amsterdam. Every meal I had there was fantastic and I only wish there was one here in California.

Pros: Excellent1, Great Value, Large portions

Contributions +45

Full of lovely vibes! - Edit

My boyfriend and I visited Bolhoed three times during our short stay in Amsterdam.
The first time we ordered chocolate brownies. It was around 2pm and they were very busy, but the glamorous dita-von-teese lookalike member of staff instantly brought us a jug of water and it wasn't long before our brownies were served. We were each presented with 2 generous slices of rich, moist, dark chocolate brownie. I was quite sure they must have misunderstood when we asked for 2 brownies and thought we meant 2 each, but they were so good I didn't complain. When we got the bill, we were only charged for one each. The portions are not stingy in this place!

The second time I had hot chocolate (just heated up Alpro chocolate milkshake, but it was delicious of course) and an oat biscuit. Not too sweet, but filling and very tasty.

On our third visit we had a meal. It was the most expensive meal out I've ever had, but I am used to dining very cheaply! Unfortunately they were out of "Vegan Meal of the Day" which was a shame because it looked spectacular, but I had a lovely vegetable casserole instead. There were hearty portions of both casserole and salad, and having polished that off I soldiered on and ordered a dessert because I just had to try one more! I had a berry cheesecake, and wished it would never end.

Despite the evening menu being more expensive than I'm used to (I paid almost 20 Euro for my meal and dessert) I highly recommend this place. We wouldn't have eaten here in the evening if it hadn't been the last night of our trip, but I'm glad we did.
The decor is quirky and cosy, the staff are friendly and the food is worth spending all your pocket money on.

Say hallo to the cat for me.

Pros: Friendly, Cosy, Variety

Cons: Quite expensive

Relaxed atmosphere - Edit

Lovely and natural atmosphere, good choice and large portions.
A lot of delicious desserts: the banana cake is a must for me.

Pros: nice location, atmosphere, people-friendly cat

Cons: price

Best dinner in Amsterdam! - Edit

I went to the Bolhoed with some friends for dinner. I had Hummus and two friends of mine Enchiladas. It was delicious! The waitress was very nice and we had a wonderful evening.
The prices are ok, starters costs about 5 €, main dishes between 13-18 €. Everything is fresh and a lot of ingredients are also organic. Because of that I don't mind to pay a little bit more. There are lots of options for vegans and also nice vegan desserts like muffins, cakes...I would recommend this Restaurant to everyone, who likes vegetarian, healthy an delicious food!

Pros: Atmosphere, excellent food, many vegan options

Big portions - but pricey!! - Edit

My boyfriend and I went to Bolhoed in July 2010. We hadn't booked and when we arrived there was no seating. The staff however were very helpful and told us to return in 20 mins when a table would be free. There were a number of vegan options on the menu, we both had the Vegan Dish of The Day which consists of 6 different items which we enjoyed all of. However, the portions are huge and too much for the average person. It was also quite pricey at 16.50 euros per meal. There is a large fridge full of deserts, a lot of which are vegan. We shared a fruit tart which was nice. The atmosphere was very relaxed and we were not rushed to order or to leave. There is a resident cat who wanders around the restaurant and is friendly. If we returned to Amsterdam we would definitely consider going back.

Pros: large portions, friendly staff, relaxed atmosphere

Cons: pricey

Size if Not Everything - Edit

We went for a dinner and was not happy with the food nor the cleanliness. Waiters snacking on food from the kitchen.

We had a soup (Mushroom), the Vegan special and a Lasagna. The soup was lacking in flavour. The Vegan Meal was huge and too much food for the average person. It was not tasty due to too much oil. Enough food on the Vegan Special for two people. The Lasagna was better. The meal was very pricey, the most expensive out of the four vegetarian restaurants we went to.

The location is great being next to the canal and the setting is rustic and down to earth.

Pros: Location, Quantity of Food

Cons: Price, Quality of Food

Very nice - Edit

I love this place. I've gone back many times. This is my third extended visit to Amsterdam in two years, and Bolhoed is a regular choice for me. The food is old school vegetarian/vegan, nothing super fancy, but tasty and substantial portions. Service is pleasant, but can seem somewhat curt if you go at a busy time. And, definitely don't go if you are in a hurry. Located in Jordaanplein, not far from the Anne Frank House.

great! - Edit

My boyfriend and I ate here one cold, cold winter in Amsterdam and loved it. I didn't notice anything particularly slow about the service. Besides, fast food is generally not fresh food. Things take TIME to cook.
Anyway, I loved the food, staff was nice, definitely bohemian, and the decor was great. It reminded me a bit like The Gypsy Den in orange county back home, only a little nicer.

Pros: vegetarian and vegan options

Cons: none

nice to enjoy the sumer time - Edit

one of the 1st dutch vegetarian restaurants. Very nice to seat in rhe sumer outside, next to the water. Healthy food.

Pros: organic

Cons: little portion

cosy - Edit

I've been vegan for quite some time now and I'm in Amsterdam very often. De Bolhoed exists for over 20 years (impressive, isn't it?) and is really close to the city-centre. Yet somehow I never ended up eating there. There's not a specific reason, it just never happened.

Luckily I went there some months a go and it became one of my favorite places in Amsterdam. Cool staff, I felt at home there right away. The decoration and everything is very cosy. Not the hipster, fancy stuff... (which is really not my cup of tea).

They have quite some vegan options, although the menu is not very impressive. It's good, it's decent. The food is also quite good and tasty, but it didn't blew me away. The desserts are delicious.

The reason why I love going there is because I love the atmosphere. Just sitting there (especially in the summer time on the terrace!) with a cup of coffee and a piece of pie, hmmm....

Pros: great atmosphere, lovely staff, delicious cakes

Cons: pricy, menu is not mind blowing

Great restaruant. - Edit

Tons of vegan options. Lots of yummy desserts. friendly staff. I've eaten here numerous times and look forward to my next visit. The place is always busy has a great bohemian-esque vibe. Go, you will not regret it.

Pros: great food, many vegan choices, inexpensive

Cons: always busy

Didn't even get to sit down.... - Edit

Like a previous reviewer, we weren't greeted when we came in and didn't know if we could seat ourselves. We waited for the staff to finish making juices for other customers and busied ourselves by looking at the decor. We were eventually greeted and I asked for a table for two but the staff went back to cleaning/juicing.

Eventually someone came over and asked us why we were standing there, looking around with dumb expressions, like "duuhhh". Um...because maybe we want a table? or a menu? or to ask a question?

As it was, I didn't appreciate the "duh" comment and repeated (in a slightly harsher tone) my request for a table and pointed out that I'd asked for one when we came in and greeted each other. In the end, I think they decided that they didn't want us to eat there and we were told that all tables were reserved. True - a lot were reserved for later that evening but the canal seating was available.

There were several couples in the restaurant, nobody had food or drinks - we were there maybe 10 minutes and only one guy was served a juice. The place looked quite clean. The cat is adorable too :)

GREAT PLACE - Edit

nice little rustic cafe just down the canal from ann frank haus. interesting and tasty food. its small with some outside seating. nice staff, great vegan salad dressing. good selection of vegan desserts too. reasonablely priced. i'm def going back for cake! :)

Pros: vegan cake, vegan salad dressing, affordable

Cons: smallest toilet ever

Huge portions, good service, great food - Edit

We were hesitant about eating at Bolhead due to the mixed reviews on Happy Cow. We decided to go ahead and try it-- two vegans and four non-vegans. We weren't disappointed. The service was excellent (keep in mind service in Europe is generally slow). Portions were American size (which could be a "con" and not a "pro"). Most importantly, the food was fresh and excellent.

Pros: Excellent wait staff, Yummy food , Reasonably priced

Cons: Huge portions, Salty

Outstanding Vegan Food! PPK atmosphere! - Edit

With 50s music playing and a hip tattooed crew serving you up with some sass Bolhoed is an experience in itself. Don't forget to make reservations on Saturday, but if you get there and its full try to order take away and eat it outside on the canal where there is some non reserved seating. The most impressive menu item is the Vegan Meal of the Day, which comes with something like 6 different items on a plate. Mine had a tofu pastry, carrot pate, white bean salad, risotto, green beans, salad. All were delectable. Don't miss out on the dessert fridge where we enjoyed a strawberry vanilla vegan cake. There are many menu items with a * next to them indicating vegan or vegan option! Probably the best place to eat in Amsterdam for vegans.

Pros: service, vegan desserts, menu of the day

Cons: reservations needed on busy nights

LOVED THIS PLACE!!! - Edit

Amsterdam really was not as easy as expected when it came to getting good vegan food, thankfully we were staying just up the road from this place and we went there for brunch every single morning! The tofu pate is to die for!!! I have even asked my husband that the one thing I want for my 25th birthday is that recipie!! yum!

This place is slow at service, but it's amsterdam, so just relax, have a few drinks, enjoy it!!! There's a lovely little lazy fat cat who lives there too! :)

V&A from Brighton UK X

Pros: TOFU PATE!! , cat, friendly staff

Cons: slighty slow

cute place with its own cat! - Edit

Loved the cat walking around, too cute! VERY crowded restaurant, definitely recommend making reservations. We found the only table left at dinner time, and saw them turn away many customers because there were no tables, which was sad. Food was great, though pretty expensive. We were confused with the lack of service, weren't greeted when we came in, didn't know if we could seat ourselves. No one came up to us at the table and offered menus or asked to take our order, so we went up and grabbed our own menus and went up again to try to order, when they finally said something to us and told us they would take our order at the table. Very slow, and not the friendliest service, but worth going for the food.

Pros: food

Cons: prices, not enough tables, not helpful service

Disappointing - Edit

I was just so disappointed. I'm a veggie but my husband is a vegan and I've cooked vegan for over 15 years and eaten in countless restaurants. This was dire. Very slow and surly, uninterested service. After waiting 15 minutes, my husband ordered the main salad (including bread) and I ordered quiche and salad. It came 45 minutes later without bread for the salad, which we immediately asked for as well as some salad dressing as eating unadorned broccoli florets, leaves and huge chunks of onion and carrot without some moisture wasn't appetising and I thought some oil/vinegar or dressing would help. The waiter shrugged and returned 10 minutes later with the bread but no dressing. I didn't bother asking again. The salad was 'edible but boring' in my husband's words and the quiche tasted overwhelmingly of sage and nothing else. In the quiche, there were 4 huge wedges of undercooked onion (half an onion cut into quarter wedges), 4 chunks of carrot (about 4 cm x 4 cm) and not much else. I couldn't taste anything other than sage. The salad on the other hand was completely tasteless and chewy - fresh? I don't think so. Now, I always give places the benefit of the doubt but I'm finding it hard to think of a positive. The floor was dirty (food on the floor kind of dirty), as was the cutlery, which we ended up washing in our mineral water as there was no-one about to get clean! The service far too slow for the type of meal it was (it was only salad and cold quiche for crying out loud!) and the food was way too expensive. Included in our meal was a bottle of mineral water and an espresso and it came to €27,45 which was just too much for the portions and quality - broccoli, leaves and carrots are NOT expensive even if they are organic. I've just thought of a positive. The location is nice if you are sitting outside. Please take this review seriously, I'm not a complainer (The Golden Temple was excellent) but please don't waste your money at Bolhoed as we did.

Pros: Nice location if you sit outside

Cons: Meals are cheap to produce & too dear, Dirty floor and cutlery, Long wait for service & food

Plastic tofu, ( sometimes) macdonald quality... - Edit

First of all the service was extremely slow: it took about 50 minutes to have the dinner. A tofu that tasted like plastic or paper;pita was insipid; a dreadful salad with a mysterious soy mayonnaise whose quality could have been perfect for a Mac Donald eater. The cake was good, but not that remarkable. Lonely Planet says that this restaurant is absolutely organic; actually it's - as the restaurant itself says, clearly writing it on the menu- mostly organic. For the " quality" that is offered, this restaurant is overpriced.

relaxed, quiet lunch - Edit

seemed very fresh, big portions, cozy place. reasonable prices. the quiche was awesome. recommmend it as a place for a laid back lunch.

Pros: laid back, big portions, homestyle cooking

I'm surprised to read so many negative reviews... - Edit

Definitely a relaxed atmosphere. Staff aren't the most attentive in the world, but I found them friendly. I had a quiche and salad... I'd give the quiche 11/10 (absolutely delicious), although I imagine the type of quiche on offer would change regularly. Salad was pretty good without being amazing. Menu is a bit on the pricey side, and perhaps could be more extensive, but the restaurant is in a lovely location by the canal.

Pros: Relaxed vibe, Tasty food

Cons: A bit pricey

SO BAD!!! - Edit

I have no idea how anyone could find the food here even acceptable. I have been to many vegan/vegetarian restaurants around the world and rarely leave disapointed.

as said below, hummus and pita as a main?? the vegan option was the most dry, bland thing i have ever had.

The people there were extremely rude, and the service was slow. Not slow in that relaxing european way, and not because amazing fresh food is being prepared.

I could not believe how bad of a retaurant this was, it left me speechless. skip this and go to de Waagals, which is AMAZING!

lovely food abit expensive! - Edit

this is a nice spot. the food is lovely, nutritious and tasty.
nice laid back atmosphere in the place and it says on the menu that they like to take their time preparing the food so it is right and this true!
i went for the vegan dish of the day (about €14) and was served a fine plate of nutritious food, varied tastes and delish! (maybe the tofu could be abit better!).
plenty of time to sit and digest and the plate was so full you couldn't really fit in a starter...
expensive but a grand treat!

Pros: nutritious, tasty, healthy, nice atmosphere

Cons: expensive, abit slow

Awful. Just awful. - Edit

Maybe the owners have changed since the last review was written, because my experience at Bolhoed was nothing like most of those below.

For starters, the menu was incredibly limited. There were maybe 15 choices in all, and at least half of these were simply pita bread paired with some spread (hummus, baba ghanoush, etc.) Before going to Bolhoed, I'd never been anywhere that billed pita and hummus as an entree. To make matters worse, many of the other entrees were just bread topped with cheese and some vegetable. To be blunt, Bolhoed had the least creative menu I've ever seen.

One might think that a restaurant with a limited menu would at least make the few menu items tasty. Not here. Three of us ordered the vegetable soup, and we all agreed it was the most bland we'd ever tasted. The hummus was unspectacular and the stale bread with melted cheese and pesto tasted like it was cooked in a microwave. Only the vegetable ragout tasted good.

All in all, avoid Bolhoed. There are far better options for vegetarian food in Amsterdam. If not a vegetarian restaurant, there are plenty of regular restuarants serving tasty, creative vegetarian food. Try the Thai and Vietnamese restaurants in Chinatown, the Middle Eastern restaurants throughout town, or the Indian restaurants in the northern area of town.

Great Place - Edit

We went here twice during our stay. The food was really tasty. They have a couple of nightly specials and at least one was vegan. The normal menu had a few good options for vegans. We didn't have a phone to make reservations but we got there as soon as they opened and got a spot. If you don't get there early I would suggest making reservations-it was full of patrons both times. Expect to spend about 2 hours - everything is made to order and if you want anything else you have to track the waitress down-they don't bother you. It is quite expensive- for three of us food and drinks came to about 70 euros.

Pros: great food, atmosphere, selection of food

Cons: pricey, staff don't check on you

Amazing food to be enjoyed, not rushed. - Edit

Bolhoed features some of the best vegan food I've had the pleasure to eat so far (up there with Kate's in NYC).

My wife and I chose completely different vegan 'menus' so we could share. I had the 'Vegan Special', my wife ordered the 'Asian Menu'. A 'menu' in this context is an enormous 3 course meal - entirely vegan.

Not only did we feel the food was tasty and fresh, but it was evident that vegan was not a mere afterthought, or second-best. Considering the size of the portions (and our usual London prices) the cost of 21 euros each seemed entirely fair.

As for service and staff: it initially took over 20 minutes to grab the attention of a server. Past this point, however, service was extremely friendly and efficient.

If you're in an enormous rush, hyperactive or on a bad caffeine trip then move on. Bolhoed isn't for you.

If you want a fun, friendly, slightly alternative place serving large portions of great vegan goodies, then do yourself a favour and visit.

Pros: Great food, Friendly staff, Vegan!

Cons: Slow start

Delicious faultless food - Edit

I was disappointed to hear some of the negative reviews of this restaurant as we went twice in just a four day stay and had two fantastic experiences.

We have both been veggies for 20 years but were drawn to the vegan special dish of the day both times which consists of around 5 or 6 different dishes on the one plate. The food was well cooked and presented and a lovely combination of different flavours and textures. The first time we had a little wait but it was very worthwhile as the food was exquisite. On the second visit he food flew out extremely quickly.
This restaurant is very laid back and staff were friendly and helpful.
We will definitely go back.

Bad Service and Food - Edit

We walked across town to find this place, which is located near the Anne Frank museum. The service was very poor. Dirty plates spread across each table were blatantly ignored by the waitress, even though the restaurant was empty. When I complained about this to another employee, she smiled with that stupid Dutch smile and said, "I'm not the waitress!". I was tempted to start collecting dishes myself and bring them to the kitchen. The menu was bland- Quiche and vegetable stuffed pastries. This is my mother's idea of vegetarian food. I expected more creativity. The food took 30 minutes to arrive. And all they had to do was re-heat the quiche and add a salad. It gets better... after that long wait, the quiche was cold in the middle!

Please save yourself the pain-- eat at ANY regular restaurant in Amsterdam and order a veggie quiche. Avoid this restaurant until they improve the service and the food.

Pros: Food taste was good, Nice canal view

Cons: Expensive, Bad service, It's just Quiche!

2 Responses

Caryne 22 Feb 2013 - Well, what can one expect from a reviewer who is blatantly racist "stupid dutch smile"? If I had worked there I would have done more than ignore this person. As I am vegan I did not go anywhere near the quiche but all the vegan food I had there was wonderful and the palce was really fun to be in and friendly. If you want something stuck up and swish you might not be happy here, if you like good, cheap, food served by very friendly people then you will.
I often wonder if some people get ignored by staff because of the very rude attitude that they have?

marnia 22 Feb 2013 - I agree the "stupid dutch smile" is a ludicrous comment. you leave yourself open to comments on your own nation, very foolish, from this moment forward you can never really complain about anything anyone says about your home country.

Vegan friendly - Edit

Service is a little bit slow, but there are many vegan dishes: we had the tofu pate and ragoutcriossant which were excellent. The salad is rich, but a bit too expensive for its size.

Pros: Vegan friendly

Cons: Slow

A huge disappointment - Edit

Having read the reviews we were looking forward to a visit here. Sadly, it wasn't good. We had quiche and salad, not really a challenge for a restaurant. We waited a long time. The place was not busy. The quiche was OK but the salad wasn't. It was soggy. The orange juice I had was expensive for what it was too. My biggest concern was that the place didn't appear clean or follow food handling guidelines.I saw food being handled (touched) without hygenic gloves on. The tables needed a scrub and at one point there was a guy behind the food bar with a cigarette. I could not really tell if it was alight but either way it shows that the restaurant doesn't mind its staff doing this. An off day?? Well I don't know ... but we won't be back to see, sorry.

Pros: none really

Cons: hygiene 'suspect', waiting time

Good food, especially the Vegan mains - Edit

All round good food, although my mexican food was a little dry (a minor quibble for a good resturant). Reasonable prices too.

Pros: Good portions, responsive staff, Understood Vegan

Cons: A little dry, stingy on the salsa!

Best vegan desserts in the world? - Edit

Totally great find, went there five days runnine when in Amsterdam. The main courses are cheap, huge portuins and very tasty but it's the desserts where this place amazes. Vegan cakes, sweet pies and the like that is better than anything I have ever eaten..just as well I don't live here I'd be there every day. Very friendly and chilled...wonderful. Cost is great, main course, dessert, orange juice and a coffee for less than 13 euros.

Pros: Huge portions, Excellent Value, Amazing vegan desserts

Cosy - Relaxed - Yummy - Edit

We visited for lunch in May 2007. The staff were friendly, and the service was pretty quick. My curry/seaweed/pastry + salad was packed with flavour and probably could feed two people... I was too full to consider any of the attractive looking deserts on display. Very relaxed setting and a resident cat... nothing too fancy, just good food in large portions. The only possible negative I saw was that the staff had their half-nibbled brunch on the table beside ours, which they would sneak a bite from now and then... to me that gave a homely feel, but some people might not like it. Interesting artwork - I like the Pirate Cow.

Pros: Relaxed Atmosphere, Large Portions, Big on Flavour

Cons: staff table?

Our Amsterdam nr. 1 - Edit

There are several restaurants to go to, when you are visiting Amsterdam, but we go to Amsterdam to visit Bolhoed. The place has a nice, relaxed, natural atmosphere. Sometimes it's very crowded and service becomse slow, but this is a place where we don't mind. They take the time to prepare large, very healthy and tasty vegan dishes. Their chocolate tart is a must for me.

Pros: wonderful food

This one was my favorite - Edit

Yes, the service was slow by U.S. standards, but the staff were always friendly and warm and the food was great, and there are worse places to kill a couple of hours. The spouse and I ate at several different places during our week in Amsterdam, but this is the one I went back to for my final meal after he went on to Norway and I was savoring my last day in Holland. The staff also spoke excellent English, but were also patient with my efforts to communicate in Dutch.

Pros: delicious food, friendly staff, cat

Cons: takes time

Return to Amsterdam Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Bolhoed closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.