Bolhoed

020-6261803

Prinsengracht 60-62, Amsterdam, Netherlands

Vegetarian dining in casual atmosphere. Changing menu, fair portions. Usually one main dish plus salads and quiche. Note that the cheeses are not vegan. Directions: next to Prinsengraght canal in Jordaan area, near Anna Frank house and Noordermarkt. Open Mon-Sun 11:00am-9:30pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, European

First Review by apeekstok

Cool place - Edit

A perfect spot for some food and warm drinks after doing groceries at the Noordermarkt. Located in one of Amsterdam's most important canals, it has a kind of alternative vibe. Still, it's very welcoming for every type of people. Staff is friendly, except for their grumpy (yet beautiful) cat!

We've only been there for lunch or snacks and always liked it. You can get a sandwich (with salad) or a salad plate from their salad bar. Besides, their fridge is full of delicious cakes (most of them vegan and some gluten-free).

Pros: Location & atmosphere , Sandwiches are great value for money, Delicious cakes

rude!!!!!!!! - Edit

I don't think I've ever been treated so poorly. As soon as I walked in they didn't acknowledge me. (Is it because it's only a sit down restaurant and no take away?). The girls just stood there talking to one another. Looked at me... and continued their conversation. When someone finally asked if I needed help, I asked if I could pick up some vegan desserts. And she said "I'm busy right now I'll be back". (Weren't busy a min ago!). When she came back I asked what was the most popular vegan dessert and she said impatiently "I don't know, you just pick". Then I pointed to a dish and asked what that one was, cos it didn't have a label. All she said was "that's not available for take-away". Thanks for being the rudest b--- I have ever encountered. Left empty handed. Vegan desserts didn't look that appetizing anyway. I'm also not one to say no to vegan desserts AND write a review. I also love supporting places that offer vegan food. But that b---- ticked me off so much, this establishment doesn't deserve my business!! STAY AWAY!!! Why can't I rate this resto a 1??!

Good vegan options - Edit

Got the soup and salad, was expecting a light lunch, but left with a huge food baby. Salad plate had 4 different salads on it (lettuce salad, cauliflower salad, Indian chickpea salad, and barley mushroom salad, and asparagus wrapped in eggplant bacon). Cute, hippy-like atmosphere!

Nothing for small budget - Edit

To cut it short: Very goog food, very friendly service but also very expensive.
I had a special menu that was an assembly of several dishes on a large dish. Good and tasty food, high quality and fresh ingredients. You feel satisfied more or less, but that's for 17,50€. Sure, it's Amsterdam, but for one dish that's still steep. Also, the beer (for 3,25€) was a really tiny one.
THe venue is great, I love the decor, even if everything is a bit old. It's just a feel-good-atmosphere.
The staff was very friendly and helpful!
Notable range of vegan sweets (also expensive though).
Typical Dutch tiny, tiny WC. No WiFi.
Haven't seen any cats.

Pros: good and tasty food, lovely decor, awesome service

Cons: pretty expensive, scary WC, no WiFi

Beans - Edit

I love those beans.
And that they have a cat.

Pros: cozy environment

Filling plates - Edit

If you order a big plate, you will get a big plate.
Salad changes every time, but it keeps its amazing flavors. Cozy to sit and beautiful location.

Pros: Good food, Friendly staff

Cons: It can take a while to get your food

Delicious vega restaurant - Edit

Great dishes, especially the quiche I got was de-li-cious! And dont forget to check out the amazing pies/desserts.
Location is great in the city center, and has a cozy atmosphere.
Didnt need to make reservations for lunch on the weekends.

Pros: Good food, 'Gezellig'

Cons: Dont know

Cozy hippie style restaurant - Edit

Very cute little cafe/restaurant with delicious vegan food. Not too expensive and the cakes are amazing! Took my parents there and they liked it as well.

Pros: excellent food, cozy interior, friendly staff

Cute cat - Edit

Delicious vegetarian and vegan food in a scenic environment (next to a canal). Food is fresh and simple, offering typical cafe food (quiches, soups and salads). They offer daily specials, however, these specials could be pricy. Service is attentive. Loved the house cat.

very good - Edit

A very good meal, with a large selection, served in a friendly, funky and pleasant atmosphere. It was very busy when I went - reservations advised!

Pros: well prepared and tasty, good variety

Cons: not particularly creative

Good food, cosy but slow service - Edit

We came here twice in the same day - our idea was to have lunch and dessert before our reservation at the Anne Frank House +- across the street (handy!) but service was so slow that we had to cancel our dessert and wolf down our meals before rushing out (I had a delicious vegetable soup, minestrone-like; excellent bread). We returned later for dessert (had a chocolate cake, a bit dry but still yummy, and a chicory coffee). Busy restaurant and seem a bit understaffed; leave plenty of time for eating.

Pros: Good food, Has vegan desserts

Cons: Slow service

Excellent - Edit

Many vegan options, was delighted to have dinner here (already some months ago). More expensive, but you will be rewarded in taste. Had vegetables from the oven, with fake cheese and soy cream. Could have been real, was enjoying it so much. My place to go if I want a more complete dinner including dessert etc.

Pros: many vegan options, delicious cake, warm atmosphere

Really nice place - Edit

Vegetarian and vegan restaurant. You can easily miss it if you don't put attention to the number in the street. We had the soup of the day, hummus roll, vegan brownie and a mint tea. The peaple working there is really nice. There is even a cat living there.

Pros: Lots of vegan desserts

Warming, comfortable, good vibes - Edit

I REALLY enjoyed my meal here - mushroom miso soup and hummus and bread. WOW. Really warming, the food is prepared on demand so be mindful this isn't a place for a "quick" meal but it IS an amazing place to enjoy the company of a friend, or your own! Delicious and decently priced.

Amazing experiences - Edit

Every time i have been here, the food has been amazing and satisfying. You certainly get enough. And certainly enough healthy stuff. :) Also the people who serve are amazing! Very calm and nice.

Pros: Healthy, a lot of food, Cosy

Cons: Little bit expensive

good choice for vegetarians - Edit

Ate dinner here on a recent trip to Amsterdam. We came on a Friday night without a reservation and the place was pretty packed. Fortunately it was a little bit later in the evening and we managed to get a table. Reservations are probably a good idea.

The food was very good by Amsterdam standards with nice sized portions. They also have a small but nice selection of beers. The wait staff was nice and friendly although very busy, so busy that they forgot to bring us the drinks we had ordered! However, they didn't charge us for the beers we had ordered to make up for it. Nice!

Pros: good food, friendly staff

Cons: can get very busy

Nice place, good food, amazing desserts - Edit

I've tried de Bolhoed with a non-vegetarian friend and we both really enjoyed our dinner. He took the Mexican menu and I took the North-African one. As a starter, we had hummus with pita bread and guacamole with tortillas. The guacamole was really excellent, fresh and a little spicy and the hummus was good. My friend really liked his enchilada and I appreciate the North-African dish, mostly the puff pastry filled in with vegetables, sauce and tofu. It was great. Portions were very fair and we chose a chocolate cake with blueberry and strawberry as a dessert. It was so gooooood! Moreover, the place is pleasant and the staff friendly. Prices are not so high in comparison to food quality and those of similar places in Amsterdam.

Small tip: they accept credit cards whereas they wrote the opposite on the menu...

Pros: vegan menus, great food, amazing desserts, pleasant place, friendly staff

Cons: not all vegan, cash only?

Would you like a quiche with the salad? - Edit

Not being a knowing fan of tofu, I personally struggled with the menu a bit. It prices were also a bit higher than other places we went to (totaled 40 euros). My dad chose the enchiladas, my mum had the vegetable quiche, and I had tomato and ginger soup (soup of the day). They do make everything from scratch, but It wasn't more than 10 minutes of "normal" service time. My dad enjoyed his enchiladas: it all worked well together and had a nice texture (he did say it would 5/5 if it had mince). I couldn't taste the ginger in my soup, and it was hearty with vegetables and some tofu. I'm guessing the bread is vegan because it had a different texture to normal bread. The crust had poppyseeds on and it was /very/ chewy. My mum felt very full after hers because the salad was so big. The quiche had broccoli, carrot, pepper, and sweet potato in; had a poppyseed top (it made it look burnt); it had cauliflower in the crust, giving it a nice taste. She enjoyed it overall, but the salad could have been on the smaller side.
We were all quite comfortably full so we didn't get any dessert, although the looked lovely.

Pros: All organic and healthy, Nice atmosphere and view

Cons: Massive salad with quiche, Hot water in female toilet is /very/ hot

Return to Amsterdam Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Bolhoed closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.