Bodhi

Contact +49-8941142458

Ligsalzstrasse 23 (at Ecke Gollierstrasse), Munich, Germany, 80339

Vegan restaurant and bar serving food and a variety of alcoholic drinks including cocktails. Tavern atmosphere, opened Dec 2013. EC cards accepted. Open Mon-Sun 5:00pm-12:00am, Sun 10:00am-3:00pm. Closes 11:45pm.

Category: Vegan, American, Western, Beer/Wine

First Review by SandraSchwobi

super guter Brunch - Edit

wir waren zum Brunch am Sonntag und fanden es toll!
Die Auswahl war sehr umfangreich und alles ziemlich fein, es ist seinen Preis absolut wert, der Service war auch sehr freundlich, ich werde auf jeden Fall wieder kommen

authentic Bavarian food vegan style - Edit

If you're visiting Munich, Bodhi is definitely a must go! They offer traditional authentic Bavarian food, 100% vegan! Try the Bodhi Pfanderl and also the very best vegan Mousse au Chocolat!

Pros: vegan Bavarian cuisine, best Mousse au Chocolat in town, rustique restaurant

Cons: sometimes service is not that attentive

Amazing - Edit

Food was delicious and amazing (try the soy schnitzel!) I'm currently backpacking and watching my budget but this was totally worth it (not so expensive, about €10-15 for a main) cocktails look delicious, we'll come back!

Just So Delicious!! - Edit

We came here for dinner on our first evening in Munich, as it opened quite late, and we wanted some hearty, filling food. We were not disappointed. The staff were really friendly and helpful, and spoke great English. Everything on the menu was tempting, but in the end I went for the tofu steak in beer gravy with red cabbage and a potato dumpling. It was outstanding - so tasty, rich and filling. I also had the homemade ginger lemonade, which packed a huge ginger punch and wasn't sweet or sugary at all. Really wanted to try the dessert recommended by a previous reviewer, but was far too full! Will definitely be going back. Price-wise, it was a bit more than we usually pay (15 euro for a main dish) but totally worth it because it was such good food. Warm, funky environment, with traditional Bavarian elements. Note: We liked it so much, went back a second time. Sat outside in the late evening sunshine, and had the 'cheesey' nuggets to start (yummy) and then the polenta fillets in the mustard crust. So tasty! Still too full for dessert though - next time!

Pros: Amazing food, Friendly staff, Funky vibe

One of the best places I've ever been! - Edit

I've been to a lot of vegan/vegetarian places all over the world but I have to admit that Bodhi in Munich is one of the best places you can go to have a delicious vegan meal.

Bodhi is located at Schwanthalerhöhe near to the Theresienwiese where Oktoberfest is celebrated each year. Due to its location in a quite calm street you can sit outside away from the traffic and enjoy the sunshine. The staff is very friendly and fast and the food: You'll hardly find any better!

I've been there several times now - almost each time I'm in Munich for work and each time it was just great. Friendly service, vegan food and everything sooooo delicious. Not only the seitangoulash with pretzel dumplings (best I ever had!) also the salads and soja schnitzels or the desserts are so delicious.

HIGHLY recommendable, doesn't matter if at lunch-time or in the evening and you won't regret anything ;)
If visiting in the evening I would recommend a reservation.

Pros: Best vegan food in town, Friendly and fast service, Good atmosphere and nice to sit outside

The most delicious "Rahmschwammerl" - Edit

Originally, we only wanted to check out Bodhi's vegan cocktails. Since the menu looked so good, though, we came back for dinner the next day. We were not disappointed!

We had "Käs"spatzn, country potatoes with two sauces and "Rahm"schwammerl. What was great was how the "Käs"spatzn seemed to have a homemade cheese sauce on them rather than just using melted store-bought vegan cheese. The crispy roasted onions that were on top were homemade as well. The country potatoes were made from fresh potatoes and the sauces (a barbecue ketchup and a vegan mayonnaise) seemed homemade as well. Nothing special, but tasty. All dishes were delicious but the "Rahm"schwammerl were definitely the best.
I still dream of it.

I wish I'd had more room in my stomach to try the Kaiserschmarrn but the portions of the mains were more than enough.

Staff was very friendly and the atmosphere was very nice. Modern but cozy. Prices were fair, considering size of the portions and the effort put into making them.

Definitely recommended!

Pros: DELICIOUS food, Friendly staff, Fair prices

Bonus for being 100% Vegan - Edit

Pros - This restaurant to worth a visit bc it's 100% vegan and you can tell the kitchen staff prepare and present the meals with care. The waitstaff are friendly and accommodating. Menus are in German and English. There is a allergy list of ingredients (in German) but it's easy to figure out what's what.

My friend and I ordered (as mains) Baked Portabello and Soy Schnitzel. Both mains were delicious and beautifully present. We polished our plates clean!

Cons - We waited over 30 mins for our food in an almost empty restaurant and this restaurant was much more expensive then we had anticipated. (Submitted update re price).

The desserts we ordered (while beautifully presented) weren't tasty and neither of us could finish them. We left more then half on our plates. I wouldn't recommend the Coconut Lime mousse or the Kaiserschmarrn (German like doughnut). Both are very heavy and didn't sit well after such incredible mains.

Come support this restaurant by ordering a main dish and without time limits and you'll leave perfectly full and smiling

Pros: 100% vegan

Cons: slow to get food

okay, but nothing special - Edit

we came here in the hopes of eating vegan flammkuchen (which was on their website's menu), but they didn't have it. instead we had burgers that were okay, but nothing special at all.

Pros: friendly staff

Cons: a bit expensive, boring menu, small portions

love this place! - Edit

I love this place! The ambience is really nice and at evening it has more a pub feeling. The cocktails are very good and I was really happy I could drink a vegan piña colada! The dishes are creative and tasty. My favorite vegan restaurant in Munich so far.

Pros: vegan cocktails , creative menu , tasty food

Would have expected more.... - Edit

The reviews sounded very good here and the official website of Bodhi's is also great. So we decided to dine there. We're used to the quality and taste of Max Pett and Gratitude. Compared to those, Bodhi is unfortunately not that tasty and yummy. We had different main meals and dessert. Respectively one meal and one dessert was absolutely tasteless. The staff is friendly there. The prices are definitely to high relating to that kind of quality of the dishes.

came hungry, left completely satisfied - Edit

The first time I was there, I ordered a Bhodi burger as main dish and a Kaiserschmarrn (cut-up and sugared pancake with raisins) as desert.
Both tasted great, both were plenty and I left very full.
We come here often, it's worth it to take omnivore friends there.

Pros: food, staff, choice

Cons: sometimes you have to wait

Good vegan restaurant - Edit

I have been to Bodhis many times since my first review. The food is good. I have liked everything i tried the last times I went, but a little more variety would be nice (half the menu is burgers). They have excellent homemade lemonade and some nice alcoholic beverages (try black Hugo). However, what still bothers me is that you have to wait really long for your food. We never leave there in under 2 or 2 1/2 hours. But vegan comfy food it still is on of our top choices in Munich.

Since I live in Munich, I always check out new vegetarian or vegan places to eat out. I was especially excited about the opening of Bodhi, because the reviews were so over-the-top. I've been there five or so times by now, and the experiences were very different each time. Some of the dishes are truly great (like the Käsespätzle or the Creme Brulee), but others are bland and boring. The service was very, very observant once, but absolutely inattentive the other times. Even when we were dining early and were the only customers the waitress ignored us for an entire hour and almost made us miss our theater show. Overall, the atmosphere is nice, but the prices are too high. I simply cannot recommend Bodhi without a VERY big BUT! because we were dissapointed by the service and food several times.
Updated from previous review on Sunday November 02, 2014

Pros: atmosphere, nice choice of drinks

Cons: long waiting for food, no constant quality of service

Great vegan bavarian food!! - Edit

I went here to celebrate my birthday, which was a good choise! The food was amazing! All my omni friends loved it a lot!! I can highly recommend this restaurant if you are in Munich!!

Pros: great food, nice atmosphere, friendly stuff

delicious Great Food and wonderfull staff - Edit

Eine schöne Auswahl an veganen "bayerischen" Schmankerln richtig lecker und die Bedienung ist herzlich und freundlich wie man es sich wünscht - wir kommen sicher wieder !!!

A lot of delicious meals - Edit

Im vegan and found this Reataurant on a shorttrip in Munich. "Bodhi" offers a lot of bavarian meals which was very special for us. I ordered the "Bodhi Pfanderl", a meal with dumplings and red cabbage, which was very delicious. My girlfiend ate the "Kässpatzn". Also a traditional meal, which also was very good.
As a dessert we shared the "Kaiserschmarrn" an Austrian style shredded caramailzed thick pancake served with apple compote, which was phenomenal!!!

excellent vegan food - Edit

I visited this restaurant several times and i always had a great time. the stuff is very friendly, the food is delicious!!! The Burger is my fav meal. (you even get a many wedges as you want!). Also the soups are always very tasty. My fav dessert is the dark and white mousse au chocolat. Fantastic. I need to come back soon.

Pros: excellent food, good value, large portions

Great Variety and a lot of great taste - Edit

In the last year I was there several times, also joined by omnivore-friends. The variety of dishes convinced everybody at once and we enjoyed the meal and the relaxed, cozy atmosphere. It's not as ambitious as "Max Pett" i would say, more "Wirtshaus"-like ;)
The standard dishes all taste excelent. I liked the salad with fried soya-pieces also very much and found the salad dressing extraordinary and tasty.
However, in my experience the changing seasonal dishes are not always completely convincing - but worth trying.

Pros: great variety, good selection of vegan vine, relaxed, cozy atmosphere

most underwhelming place so far on Germany tour - Edit

We had a late lunch at Bohdi. Food is okay. I had 'large salad'- it was pretty boring and not very big, something you'd get at an omni restaurant rather than a vegan place. My husband has mac and cheese which was very well presented but a bit bland (we make better at home following Jamie Oliver's recipe...)

We've had so much amazing food in Germany... It feels like Bodhi need to up their game a little...

Pros: good place to meet with friends

Cons: expensive for basic vegan food, pretty bland

Warm and welcoming - Edit

We visited Bodhi twice during our two days in Munich. It has a really cosy atmosphere, they played good music, and the staff are friendly and speak excellent English. Most importantly though, we really enjoyed our food and the coffee was great.

I would not have thought we would have found a place like this right near the Oktoberfest site. It was a real gem on a quiet street and was conveniently open late. The price was moderate.

Only issue we had was on our second visit, when the waitress kept our change (about 3 euros). We were taken aback but too polite to say anything so just left. At least we could laugh about it later.

Pros: open late, friendly staff, nice atmosphere

Cons: waitress didn't give us our change

closed! - Edit

Happy Cow says the place is open from 10.00AM on Sunday, I came there around 11.00, the place was closed, but the timetable on the door said it actually works from 12.00 on weekends. I walked around until after noon, came back - it was STILL CLOSED!! Very dissapointed.

one of my favourites in Munich - Edit

This place is definitely one of my favourites in Munich. The atmosphere is really nice, the food is all vegan and sooo good, some meals always stay on the menu but they also serve seasonal dishes, the price is good, the staff is really friendly and you don't need to call too far in advance to book a table.
The Happy Cow meetup last week was there and we had an amazing time with fun people, delicious food and great cocktails.
I would definitely recommend the asparagus with the crunchy schnitzel and the Hugo cocktail!

Pros: food & drinks selection, price, atmosphere

Cons: none

Yes. Try it. - Edit

Update. One year later.

It got better!
Bumping up (from two) to four stars.
Staff really nice and helpful (didn't change).
The food tastes better. Starters are smaller (that's a good thing) so you can actually combine them with a main course.
Loved the fresh lemonades!
(Still one or two things that could get better, beergravy is pudding like. But again that's just small things)

Will definitely return!

____________________________________

Previous review on Tuesday April 29, 2014

I was there for two times now.

I very much liked the idea of a vegan restaurant where I can take my parents, a down to earth location with beer available ;) .

The staff was very nice both times!

The starters are way to big to be called starters, why call them starters?
I tasted 9 courses. (Soups, Salads, Main Dishes, Deserts)

The food is just plain boring.
The one meal I recommend is Soy-Roulade with red cabbage, traditional dumpling and gravy. It's a fake version of a very traditional meal and if you miss that you should totally order it.

But for the rest, I simply cannot take my parents there and not because of Bodhi being vegan (which might frighten some non vegans) but because the food is average at best.

The biggest disappointment was a brownie for desert. It was completely dry. I shared it with a friend and after the first bite we decided not to finish it.

I'd be very happy if the food changes and will go there again just to see if it does.
And I'd be very happy to update this review if it does.

Pros: vegan, nice staff, a wide choice of dishes

Excellent restaurant - Edit

I was in Munich alone, travelling. I found Bodhi, a vegan restaurant, and the meals were delicious, not expensive, and very innovatory. The waiter is so helpful and sociable, I enjoyed it a lot. So, I decided to have my meal everday in Bodhi, during my 3-day stay in Munich. Thanks!

Pros: delicious food, very friendly staff, good value

So so so good!! - Edit

A definite must in Munich. I adored the Kasespatzle, but everything else on the menu (I went multiple times) is good as well. The portions are huge and the service great. And on top it is just a very nice place to hang out.

Pros: Kasespatzle, Big portions, Cosy

Nice Dinner at Bodhi! - Edit

What a great find in Munich! I was at Bodhi last week and had the roasted lupin fillet with mustard crust, red wine shallots, romanesco and parsnip puree. It was a good, hearty dish, and exactly what I would hope for from Bavarian-inspired vegan food. My partner had the mango rolls, which he liked but said he preferred the taste of my lupin fillet more, and we both thought the vegan burgers at the next table looked delicious. The next time I visit I'll try one of those burgers. A lot of other people were ordering salads for their entree, which also looked delicious. Our server was attentive and we had some good beer to boot. Overall, a solid choice. I will definitely return!

Pros: Delicious Food, Atmosphere, All Vegan!

Great Bavarian-Vegan restaurant! - Edit

Really nice vegan restaurant serving typical Bavarian food in veganized version, which I found really interesting and unique!
We had the cheese spätzle, the hamburger and the apple strudel - everything was delicious and the portions quite big, we had to make an effort to finish everything! :-)
The price was okay.
The restaurant was very full when we went, so I recommend reserving a table.

Pros: Unique Bavarian Vegan!, Big portions, price ok

Cons: none

Disappointing - Edit

When I heard, there is going to open a completely vegan restaurant, I was delighted and I really wished, it would be good.

I went there with my husband and he had the Burger, I had the most expensive dish on the menu (over 20€), I can´t even remember what it was because there was no taste. It was just warm, nothing more.
My husbands burger was bland and boring.

Could have been dishes you get served on an airplane. I´m really sorry, but just being vegan is not enough.

Also I don´t like the concept of just fake someting. Fake meat, fake cheese, and so on. Why not create unique vegan dishes?

I am really sorry but I won´t go there again, it was a complete waste of money.

The staff was very friendly but that´s about the only positive thing I can say.

Pros: friendly staff

Cons: bland and boring food, expensive

Brilliant vegan restaurant - Edit

This place is superb. The menu tries to have a traditional German feel to it, but has a lot of variety. Everything we had was really nice. The service was great too. Well worth visiting.

Pros: Great food

Amazing German-style food! - Edit

It difficult to find German-style vegan food, but thankfully, we found Bodhi while staying in Munich! This place is a little off the beaten path but well worth the extra few minutes to get there. This gem of a restaurant is very cute and has wonderful staff who helped us to translate the menu from German. I had a vegan spaetzle! I swear, you would never know it was vegan-- it was so creamy and rich! My boyfriend had a pasta dish with eggplant and cranberries that was also great and we shared a gazpacho soup for an appetizer. Way too much food for dinner, but it was all amazing! I would definitely recommend this place to anyone looking for the real German-food experience without all of the meat and dairy! Can't wait to go back next time we are in Munich!

Good vegan takes on traditional Bavarian food. - Edit

We visited late on a Sunday evening, while waiting to change trains: the restaurant is 15 minutes walk from the station. I had Schnitzel and Potato Salad. My wife, a potato connoisseur loved that potato salad, and wished she'd ordered that, though the salad that she'd ordered was also good.

I had a panna cotta, because I've never had one before. My wife reckoned that it was a good panna cotta, as far as panna cotta goes: but we agreed that we don't really see the attraction.

Very friendly service: we really enjoyed our meal.

They don't take credit cards, but will point you in the direction of a nearby ATM!

Pros: Al fresco, all vegan dining., Good vegan takes on Bavarian dishes.

Cons: Bavarian food isn't the most attractive.

Best Vegan Food I've Ever Had!!! - Edit

AMAZING. If you are in Munich, and you don't eat here, you are INSANE because it is not only the best meal I've had while traveling through Germany, it's probably the best vegan food I've had at a restaurant, hands-down.

I ordered the soy roulade and my friend got the "kaese" spaetzle. Both were incredibly delicious. I wish I could go back to Munich, if only to eat at this place again!!!

Pros: delicious, amazing food, friendly and helpful staff

Cons: a bit pricey

I got to have Schnitzel!!! - Edit

The vegan schnitel was amazing! I didn't think I would find any. It was nice and crispy. The potato salad was delightfully mustardy. The tartar sauce like dip was so good, too. This was like a pub and has probably been my favorite place in Munich for dinner.

Excellence! - Edit

My wife and I stopped by this place for dinner and had an absolutely excellent experience! Completely vegan with fantastic flavor! The price was very reasonable and the staff were all extremely friendly! The atmosphere was very calm and relaxing and they had a HUGE pepper grinder that isn't just for show; the waitress chuckled at the expression of excitement on my face as I used it!!! This place is a MUST for anybody, vegan or not, traveling to, or living in, the Munich area!

Pros: The friendly, beautiful staff,, The food,, The GIANT pepper grinder!

Deutchalicious! - Edit

We sought out Bodhi for dinner after reading the fabulous reviews on Happy Cow and Bodhi didn't disappoint!

It looks like a 'normal' German pub but is entirely vegan. The staff are super friendly and we had great difficulty choosing from the extensive menu of german vegan fare. After the agony we settled on a smoked tofu pflammkuchen and a tofu roulade served with a rich gravy, potato knödel and sautéed red cabbage; traditional german dishes that we never dreamed we could eat. Wow! Really tasty.

For dessert, we lashed out on the chocolate mousse; one ball each of white and dark chocolate mousse brought together by a raspberry coulis. Divine!

Go there and fill your face with amazing german vegan food!

Pros: lots of choice, casual, comfortable atmosphere, good portion sizes

Peace, Love and Bodhi - Edit

The vegan "HAVE TO visit and hang around"-place in Munich.
You will LOVE it, because they serve typical german food like "Roulade", "Knödel", "Blaukraut" or "Käsespätzle" - and every meal is vegan! Don't hesitate to visit Bodhi with your omnivore friends, I'm sure they'll love it, too.

I (born and living in Munich) am so happy to have found a place that combines vegan food with our well known "Kneipen"-Feeling.

EVERYTHING tastes delicious!!! I'm not kidding - I would eat any dish from the menu and I always have problems choosing one (or two, or three,...) :-)

The staff is really great. Living vegan they are able to help the guests by making the right choice what to eat (which isn't easy at Bodhi!).

I've found my new local, could be there for hours - and I am sure you will enjoy your stay at Bodhi, too!!! Take your time, order a original munich beer, relax, lay back and listen to their unmistakable sound!

For some images feel free to visit my blogpost:

Pros: Food, Location, Staff

Fantastic! - Edit

Absolutely fantastic restaurant with delicious food, nice and caring staff and easygoing atmosphere. The prices are, considering the portions and quality, very fair and the service is quick. Great music and ambience as well, good to hang out only for drinks and meeting locals, too.

Contributions +22

Best Bavarian and International Food and Drinks! - Edit

In the very heart of Munich and 5 minutes walking distance to the legendary Theresienwiese, where the Oktoberfest is stated is the location of the new vegan restaurant bodhi. You can reach the place (Ligsalzstrasse 23)via Subway (U4/U5, Station "Schwanthalerhöhe"), just 2 stations from the Central Station "Hauptbahnhof".
Typically bavarian food and international Burgers or Pasta is waiting for you here. Enjoy it with delicious bavarian beer or a cocktail in the cozy and relaxed atmosphere of the restaurant. Prices are moderate and you have a english-speaking, young team taking care of you! Open daily with open end!Further informations on

Pros: Moderate prices, freshly made food, Huge variety of beer, cocktails, whiskys, English speaking, young local staff

Return to Munich Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Bodhi closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.