Blue Plate Diner

• Veg-friendly
Contact 780-429-0740

10145 104 Street (at Jasper Avenue), Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, T5J 0Z9

Serves meat, vegan options available. Funky, locally owned restaurant offering a few vegan items and a few vegetarian options labeled on the menu - including a veggieburger, lentil & nut loaf, and a vegetarian enchilada. Often have a vegan soup. Brunch on weekends from 9am.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by jayb

A great place for group dining - Edit

If you're going out to dinner with a bunch of omnivores, I would definitely suggest Blue Plate. They cater to both omnis and vegetarians/vegans, and they do it well. The vegan options are delicious, and they go beyond the typical veggie burger with fries option that most non-veg restaurants offer. Keep in mind, however, that they are expensive.

Pros: Delicious vegan options, Great place for omnis and veg*ns to eat together

Cons: Expensive

O.K. - Edit

I rate it as OK. I find the Blue Plate to have a great atmosphere, OK food selection/quality and less then stellar service. The vegan options are limited, and they haven't changed in the 5 years I have been going, they certainly aren't of the caliber of many other restaurants offering vegan options in this city. We don't go often but it is nice now and again. If they only spruced up the menu a bit and trained the staff to be less cool and more attentive then this place would be a real gem.

Pros: Vegan options, Funky atmosphere

Cons: Slow service, limited vegan options

Veggie downtown dining - Edit

I love how Blue Plate's menu is very specifically labelled to indicate what is vegan, vegetarian and gluten-free. This makes it so easy for me to go there with friends who have allergies and what not.
The lentil loaf is really good, and I also like the veggie burger. However getting a table here can be really challenging, you definitely need a reservation. The price is a bit more than I can typically afford, so Blue Plate for me is a sort of "special occasions" restaurant.

Pros: clearly labelled menu, yummy vegan food, big portions

Cons: very busy, a bit expensive

Sorry won't be back - Edit

I went here with my sister a few years back and was so disappointed. I tried it because it was in the VoA veggie restaraunt guide. When we got there we had to wait a while for a table which made no sense because only half the restaraunt was full. When I was asking about vegan dishes they said I could have the veggie burger with no bun.... I did and then just had salad on the side. That was the only option I was given to eat. I have heard they have more options now, but I was so unhappy the first and only time I have ever been there, that I'm not coming back. Sorry.

Cons: Barely any vegan selection, Rude staff, Horrible parking

Beet Burger Heaven! - Edit

Blue Plate diner has the best veggie burger I have ever tasted and it's made of beets! This restaurant has a funky atmosphere and great veg*n options. They were also very accommodating of my food allergies! Great place for brunch!

Pros: Friendly Staff, Excellent Food

Cons: Nosiy, Serves Meat

Funky! - Edit

I've only been here once, but I absolutely loved the funky atmosphere! I ordered the chili garlic stirfry with tofu, and was more than satisfied with it--be careful if you're not into spicy foods!

My boyfriend had the lentil and nut loaf, and in his words, it was "way better than the vegan meatballs we made." The miso gravy really made the dish.

We were too full for dessert, but appreciated the wine selection and helpful servers.

The menu was well-labeled with vegan and vegetarian options. I was a little disappointed to see that the Indian Platter appetizer was listed as vegan on the website, but the word vegan was crossed out on all of the menus in the restaurant. Guess they found traces of eggs or dairy in it...

Pros: Atmosphere, Chili Garlic Stirfry with Tofu

Cons: Non-vegan Indian food

:) - Edit

I love this restaurant. I've been to Blue Plate Diner at least a few dozen times.
The decor, music, and atmosphere are old-school with a modern twist.
They always accommodate vegetarian needs and my food always come the way I ordered.

There are two down-sides to this establishment: One- parking is terrible, plan ahead and car pool or leave your car at home if you can.
Two- some of the staff are pushy, rude, and impatient. When I come across someone like this I simply ask to move to another servers section because 'there is no manager' when I ask to speak to one.
Don't let the two negative comment prevent you from trying this tasty down town treat and decide for yourself. I know ill be back again and again.

Pros: atmosphere, lots of veggie options, accommodating

Cons: parking, a few of the servers

good options - Edit

I enjoy the vegan offering and have been able to get them to modify lacto dishes .This is a mainstream restraunt with some accomadations for vegatarians.I am not sure we have a high degree of uniformity on who gets listed . I am still in favour of having them listed here .

Good basic food and very popular for mainstream and veg. folks .

Pros: food quality

Cons: veg seperation

Return to Edmonton Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Blue Plate Diner closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2947 times since Aug 2007.