Bistro 1847 - City Centre

Contact +44-161-2361811

58 Mosley St (at Booth St corner), Manchester, England, M2 3HZ

Bistro and bar at the higher end of the scale offering modern vegetarian cuisine; gluten-free options. Small plates available from the bar during bar opening times. Dec 2012 relocated from 58 Mosley St. Previously named Detoxretox, same owner and similar menu. Open Mon-Fri 12:00pm-3:00pm, Mon-Fri 5:00pm-10:00pm, Sat 12:00pm-10:30pm, Sun 12:00pm-6:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Western, Beer/Wine, British

First Review by taffboy72

Fancy food - Edit

Definitely worth a visit if you're wanting some fancier food. Menu changes seasonally, but always has plenty of delicious options (look out for the tofu 'fish' and chips!). A tad on the expensive side, but they usually offer 50% off on Mondays with a code when booking in advance (worth looking into).

Pros: Fancy food

Cons: Relatively expensive

Lovely - Edit

Had a lovely meal here last year, not just the food but the restaurant itself is really nice, the ceiling looks so cool ,(go look:)) the restaurant offers a 2 or 3 course meal. I had vegan mushroom paste for starters, which was delicious! My partner really enjoy his soup. For main, vegan fish and chips, which was battered tofu with a pea puree. My partner got veggie fish and chips, which was battered halloumi, both were presented very well. Though, I did find the battered tofu quite sickly. We drank vegan beers but probably shouldn't have as were too full to finish our meals :) we had to rush off before dessert as we were going to see a show. I think the best thing about this restaurant was the staff. The guy who served us was so lovely and helpful! We wanted to tip him but didn't have cash :/ next time...

Pros: Great service, Good value for money, Nice food and drinks

Fine dining! - Edit

This place is fantastic! Such an upmarket and fancy experience! I had the vegan 7 course taster menu and my boyfriend had the vegetarian 7 course taster menu and it really felt like we were at a Michelin-star restaurant! It was more than a meal, it was a genuinely beautiful experience!
Yes it is a bit more pricey than some restaurants but it is so so worth it, us vegan don't get the opportunity to eat out in such a fancy place very often so go for it!!!

Pros: Beautifully crafted food, Great atmosphere , 7 courses... Seven!!!

Great food - Edit

Smart restaurant right in the centre of Manchester. Great food (including convincing 'fish' and chips), pleasant decor, friendly atmosphere with good service. Looking forward to going back.

Pros: Very tasty food

Posh meal - Edit

Great food. Service has been less than exemplary on occasion (busy nights) but not stopped me coming back. High quality, imaginative menu, over half is V/VO and when they say vegan option it's not just less than what's advertised. Local beers, wines and cocktails. Great desserts, they often do a trio / taster option which is recommended. It's around £12 for a main so it's a special occasion meal but a must if you're visiting Manchester and want a fancy vegan meal.

Pros: High quality, Imaginative, Set menu prices

Cons: Busy at weekends, Pricey but worth it

Great Vegan Options - Edit

I have been to 1847 several times a couple of them with non-vegan friends who loved it. Some of the dishes I have had are parsnip soup, leek and bulghur stuffed mushrooms, garlic mushrooms with polenta, they make an excellent vegan tofish and chips which my husband loved. The menu changes with the seasons and they clearly label vegan wines on the wine list.

Pros: Vegan Options, Vegan wines clearly labelled, Menus change with the seasons

Dishonest pricing - Edit

Had booked a table and noticed a sign outside stating main course and drink for £10. No details were given of offer with menus and there was no individual pricing on menu except 2 course for £19.50 or 3 for £25. We enjoyed starters and mains plus a beer each and the bill was nearly £50. Mains were itemised on bill at £14 each. When queried we were told this was deal for main course only plus house drink. This should be clearly stated on sign or when ordering. It's strange that a deal is better when ordering less food. It's a shame as the food (particularly halloumi and chips) was really nice but left feeling disappointed

Pros: Nice food, Options for vegan and gluten free, Friendly waiter

Cons: Misleading offers/lack of information, No itemised pricing, Dirty Windows outside

Nice dinner out - Edit

This place was recommended to me as a nice restaurant to have dinner out and I wasn't disappointed. The decor is nice and the staff are friendly. The food was on the pricey side and the portions are small, but was very tasty and they have vegan options as well. The biggest con was the SLOW service!

Really dissapointing - Edit

My expectations were high as I read a lot of good reviews and the interior itself looked really nice and sharp. I expected great gourmet food..and got nothing of the sort.

My dish was essentially salty rice with some lentils. It could have looked fancy, but tasted like something one would make from leftovers. My boyfriend ordered battered tofu with chips, which was good, but it should have cost around 4 pounds for what it was. There was no ketchup or other condiments to compliment his meal.

The place does not know what to do with vegans..which is a bit odd considering it calls itself vegetarian. One of the dishes was topped with egg; when we asked what can we have instead of it if we choose vegan option the waitress responded they will simply take the egg away, without replacing it with anything. After ordering a gin sponge cake with ice cream our cake arrived drizzled with green cucumber water, which was supposed to replace the dairy ice cream..how dreadful. Even though they did have vegan ice cream on the menu! My boyfriend bargained to get it eventually, but it is not the kind of treatment I would expect from a vegetarian establishment.

The portions were very small too- so much so that we went to have another meal afterwards. I can only wonder why there are so many positive reviews here, including those from vegan users..maybe it used to have a different owner or menu?

Overall, it was a waste of both time and money.

Updated from previous review on Monday March 09, 2015

Pros: nice décor

Cons: expensive, boring food, not very vegan friendly

City Centre Veggie restaurant with Vegan options. - Edit

The restaurant looks very inviting from the street and is clean and airy inside.
We were disappointed by the food, it seemed plain and uninspiring and we waited a long time (just over an hour) between starter and main course.
I like healthy clean food but the dishes were small and plain I must admit I was still hungry when we left.

Pros: Central location, Food presentation, Decor

Let down. - Edit

Went here after reading some good reviews. We were worried that the portions would be small and unfortunately they were. Also, quite expensive for the amount of food you get.

If it was really good and tasty I would have cared less about the price, but it really wasn't.

All in all, quite the let down.

Cons: Small portions, Too expensive for what they've to offer

Great :) - Edit

While visiting Manchester with my Vegan friend we looked up happy cow to see if there where any Vegan/Veg restaurants to go to.We found Bistro 1847 and saw that it looked a bit more up our street as we where looking for something a bit more upscale i guess as i wanted to go to a truly vegetarian restaurant, something i have never been to!
After reading the reviews we had mixed feelings as there are lots of mixed reviews but hey i wanted to give it a go.
From our hotel we spent close to an hour to find the place, even having to call up as we where running late and could not find it. The address on Google map and the address on happy cow was different or at least where it shows on the map that it is so we where rather confused.But hey, we found it!
it looks lovely from the moment you enter, hanging tress from the ceiling really sets the place off! Once seating the waitress was kind enough to explain to me the many dishes as i had no idea at all what most of it was.Again as a newly vegetarian my knowledge of certain foods is non existent but she was awesome enough to guide me through it and help me come to a decision.
Each course was lovely and presented beautifully. The portions are small and i would compare it to typical fine dining portions. This is what we where expecting so it was fine, it was so well presented i did have to do the annoying typical food pictures, i bet they get fed up with that!
If all vegetarian food is as nice as this then it's going to make the journey dam easy!

The finest and fanciest vegan meal in Manchester - Edit

If you want a fancy meat-free meal in Manchester, this is definitely the place to go. It's really conveniently located in the city centre, and is quite small with a cosy atmosphere. There is a small menu: only three options for each course, but two of those are usually vegan. The portions are a wee bit small, as you expect with fine dining places, and I think the popular 'fish and chips' (deep-fried halloumi/tofu) dish provides the biggest portion and best value for money. There's a reason it is permanently on the menu while the other options rotate!

I've never had a bad meal there, and think the quality is very consistent. They also do deals and offers quite frequently, so it's worth getting on their mailing list.

Pros: Ambitious, Lovely atmosphere

Cons: Small portions

Good if you like that kind of thing! - Edit

I have to be honest gourmet food is fun and can be really good but I'm not a big fan of the low carb fad! I like my meals carb-y and filling! My partner and I probably should have gone for the tapas options but we opted for the set menu instead.

The first course was delicious! Rysp crackers with toppings. The battered tofu was good but would be better if they marinated the tofu. The dessert was yummy and you get a hot drink with a vegan truffle to finish.

The portions could do with being bigger I think, but that might just be me. Despite the food being tasty and exciting, my partner and I left feeling unsatisfied and wanting more food! I have been to a vegan gourmet restaurant in Berlin and was much more satisfied after that meal and they had bigger portions.

The staff were friendly and attentive and the place had a lovely atmosphere. I would like to come back and try the other menu options as it may just be that the set menu wasn't for me. Overall I would say nice place and nice staff but they need bigger portions as I don't feel I got my money's worth!

Pros: Nice atmosphere, Adventurous foods

Cons: Portions too small

Wonderful vegetarian and vegan food - Edit

We had a wonderful experíence. The food was great and I could chose vegan options. I went there with two omnivores who became absolutely amazed with the taste and the quality of the food. The service was exceptional. We are Catalans and they had all the patience in the world even though we visited them on a Monday at 8pm. The chef prepared a delightful vegan chocolate mousse for me. Although the price for us were too expensive, I would say that is probably one of the bes veggie restaurants I have visited in Europe

Pros: Vegan alternatives and great staff. cozy place. We

Cons: Expensive

Best vegan food in the UK - Edit

Bistro 1847 has been awarded best veggie restaurant outside London - but in my experience it is far better than any of the London places I've tried (and I've tried a lot, including Mana, 222, Vanilla Black).

There was a choice of 5 vegan options on the sharing menu and my partner and I shared 4 small and 1 large plate, and felt that was plenty, we didn't have room for dessert! (there is also a full 3 course vegan menu). The dishes were imaginative, the flavours, the presentation and the service were all excellent.

It may be more expensive than other veggie places, but I can see why as the food is in a different class.

Pros: gorgeous imaginative meals, friendly and helpful, good location

Cons: none

Return to Manchester Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Bistro 1847 - City Centre closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.