Belmont Vegetarian Restaurant

Contact 508-798-8898

157 Belmont St (at Rte 9), Worcester, Massachusetts, USA, 01608

Primarily a take-out Jamaican food restaurant with two booths for seating, near UMass Memorial. Plastic utensils provided. Order and pick up at the counter. Daily changing menu with dishes such as vegan pepper steak, BBQ chunks, curried chicken, rice, vegetable stew, cabbage, soup, patties. The combo plate comes with all of the day's selections. Street parking. Tue-Sat 11:00am-8:00pm

Category: Vegan, Take-out, Caribbean, Jamaican

First Review by will-travel-for-food

Yes!!!!!!!! - Edit

This was one of favourite places we went on our trip. The wait kinda sucked but now I understand why. Not only are the people why work there incredibly sweet and helpful, the food was amazing! I've never had Jamaican food before and can't even describe how much I loved it! If we hadn't been leaving the next day I probably would have gone every day we were there. I am glad I didn't pass on this place. Seriously, go there right now!

Pros: Great variety, Prices based on plate size not food type, Sweet staff

Cons: Long waits when busy, Very limited seating

always delicious - Edit

Belmont vegetarian may not have ample seating but it more than makes up for its lack of decor by having some of the most delicious food, vegan or otherwise. take the staff's advice for your order and you won't be disappointed.

Pros: heavenly vegan options

Cons: only two tables, not a ton of seating

Amazing! - Edit

My husband and I shared the large combo plate. It came with BBQ, mac n cheese, collard greens, pepper steak, curry, rice, and beans with smoked tofu. Everything was delicious! My husband's favorite was the BBQ, he was so impressed with the flavor and texture. My favorite was the beans with smoked tofu. Quite frankly, I was in awe of them. I'm at a loss for words to describe them, but they were life changing! I don't know how Steve does it but we will be sure to make excuses to go back to Worcester just to enjoy more of his food.

Pros: Flavor, Price

Wow! So delicious! - Edit

My husband and I went there yesterday for the first time. We were a bit confused by the menu but the staff helped us out! We got a bowl with everything that was available that day! Recommend ordering it this way so you can try everything! Wow it was fabulous! We enjoyed it so much! We got the small sized bowl and were so full after! Highly recommend and when we go back to Worcester we will be going again! Staff was so friendly!
Updated from previous review on Friday January 15, 2016

Pros: Everything is vegan, Great portions for the money, Everything is excellent

Cons: Menu is a bit confusing

Jamaican vegan - Edit

Awesome vegan Jamaican fare. I recommend getting a large plate and trying a little bit of everything because they have a great variety and all of it is great. The soy chunks were especially impressive. I'm sometimes skeptical of TVP/TSP, but the soy chunks here were really well-seasoned and delicious.

Pros: variety, soy chunks

amazing! - Edit

Sometimes the places you find that you least expect are the best. This qualifies as one of these spots. Found it randomly on happy cow. Had about 8 hours in town. Was so delicious that I had to order another meal after eating the first. Very friendly service and small but quaint atmosphere. Highly recommend checking it out!

Who wouldn't love this place? - Edit

Amazing food, small place, local place, vegan supporters and believers, and most of all excellent service. They ran out of mac n cheese, and were closing soon and he made me some just out of kindness. Really great place :)

Pros: Fast, Fresh, Wonderful Service

Cons: Tad bit salty

best vegan BBQ - Edit

This is the best place to get great vegan BBQ. Even my meat loving husband likes it. I only wish it was a bigger place and had more parking. I would go there far more often if they did

Cons: parking

This place was amazing. I love fact that this is a one man show and the walls are covered in vegan articles. I wish I knew his ways because the food is to die for. I live about an hour away and me and my non-vegan mother are constantly talking about when we'll take our next trip down to Belmont Vegetarian. I can see why PETA nominated them the best vegan mac and cheese! It was the best vegan mac and cheese I have ever tasted. Everything was delicious. I highly recommend this restaurant to anyone. It truly is a hidden gem. I'm even thinking about having them cater my graduation party. I want everyone to be able to experience this food!

Pros: Great food, Great price, Unique flavors

great food for take-out ONLY - Edit

I definitely loved the array of different items in my tin. Every dish was exciting and had a different texture or flavor. The location was a bit "Ethnic" for a thursday evening in the summer, but no one bothered me as I took my order to go. I will return for another great smorgasbord. For all it lacks in ambience, it gains in flavors.

Pros: Flavors, Interesting, Tasteful

Cons: neighborhood location, ambience, parking

My favorite Takeout Place! - Edit

My husband and I always get two of the large tins filled with everything because I love the leftovers. They make the best vegan mac and cheese in the whole world!

Pros: delicious food, friendly staff

awesome food and staff - Edit

Came to Worcester for a few days. Found on happy cow. Tiny place - 2 tables. Cook Sid they were out of food - would take an hour for more. We didn't want to wait. Told them we were going back to friends. He told us he would deliver. I told him we were at least 15 minutes from there. He didn't care - said they would deliver. Food was some of the best vegan food I ever had. Prices were very inexpensive. Highly recommend to all!

Pros: excellent food and staff

Cons: wish they were in nj

Amazing! - Edit

Amazing! I felt like I was in love... with food! I actually stumbled upon Belmont Vegetarian Restaurant on accident today as I was driving through Worcester. I live over an hour away and will surely be back! I've been a Vegan since August 2010 and this is the best meal I've ever had... even before then. I walked in and the very nice man working asked if that was my first time. I said "Yes". He gave me a sample of everything to try. Today's menu was lasagna, mac & cheese, cabbage, pepper steak, curry tofu (Looked like scrambled eggs), some chicken stuff, and a veggie/bean stir fry it looked like. Well, everything was so good I could not make up my mind so I got a large plate of everything. Considering the amount given (Which was enough for lunch, dinner and tomorrow's lunch too) the prices are very fair. I felt like I was in heaven as I was eating it, because it was so good! My DH who is a "Meat eater" tried the pepper steak and would not have known it wasn't real if I didn't tell him. He said next time he'll get some food there too. My favorite is hard to decide upon, but I guess it would be the pepper steak too, although next time I'll get everything again. I highly recommend this place if you are going to be in the area. Heck, I plan on going down every few months just to go here. The tofu was impressive. I hate tofu any other way I had it cooked, but his was amazing. IDK how he did it, but I had to ask him if the lasagna was real too because it tasted like the real thing. He assured me only Vegan cheese was used. Amazing customer service, amazing food at a good price. It was like Vegan soul food. Oh I had a Veggie patty too which was also excellent.

Pros: Food, Price, Customer Service

Cons: None!

Outta Sight! - Edit

Absolutely love this place! I think I've found my new go-to spot when I work in Worcester. You get a free sampler plate when you come in so that you can taste a little of everything that was made that day. Then you can choose which items you want. You get a large amount of food and very friendly service. They are directly next to the hospital and offer VERY tasty food. The chef really needs to write a cookbook. I'd be the first to buy it!

Pros: large portions, good prices, good variety

Cons: small eatery

Great - Edit

Great experience! I was traveling from out of town and found It on my google gps. Going in I didn't know what to order, so the man working there let me sample everything that was made special that day. What a great start. I then chose my favs and was given a genorous portion. I'll definitely be back!

Pros: Great overall experience, Friendly

Tasty but all fake meat - Edit

I totally agree with the other review: food was delicious, but it was all TSP/TVP, would be much nicer if they could incorporate those yummy flavors into less processed ingredients instead. I also felt it was a bit pricey for what it was.

Cons: all fake meat, pricey

BEST Vegetarian/Vegan In Worcester - Edit

Worth the money. Large portions. Try the soy Krust patty.

The man who runs/(owns?) this place is one of the nicest people I have ever encountered. Yet another reason Worcester is an awesome Vegetarian City!

Cons: Neighborhood

Great bet for decent veg and vegan fair - Edit

Take out Jamaican style soy protein laden, belly filling fair with an above average price, but very delicious. It's a safe bet for vegan and veg travelers going south from Boston. 11.50 for a large to go dish of all the specials of the day- 7 different fresh tasting, Jamaican spiced offerings.

Cons: Too much soy protein, Relatively expensive for what you get

Best vegan food in worcester - Edit

Everything here is delicious. My favorite is the steak and peppers, served with rice. The portions are huge and the staff is friendly and fast. The parking is not as bad as it seems. If you don't see a spot right on Belmont, just turn up a side street. There are only 2 tables, but I have never had a problem eating "in" for lunch. Atmosphere is stark but clean.

Pros: Food, Food, Food

Cons: parking, atmosphere

Vegan Worcester in Jamaica - Edit

As Worcester vegans with HIGH standards, we were thrilled to find this place. Excellent food, extremely friendly people, very clean, very reasonably priced. Just a couple of small tables, but ideal for takeout. As others have noted, there's a large menu, but what is actually available changes daily. When we were there, we had soy pepper steak, soy chicken curry, a really extraordinary soy fish (don't know how they did that!), and a lovely vegetable stew with white beans, all on a lot of rice. Oh yeah, and two excellent patties (vegetable and 'krust'). We got the medium combo entree ($8.50) and split it, and it filled both us hungry people up. We'll definitely be back!

Very pleased! - Edit

I was visiting Worcester on business and did an internet search to find a vegetarian restaurant. The Belmont Vegetarian restaurant came up first on my search -- I'm so glad it did. It was super easy to find, the man behind the counter was friendly, and best of all, the food was REALLY good! I got the small sampler plate ($8.50) and a Snapple and took it back to my hotel room and was supremely satisfied. One of the dishes was a lasagna that I couldn't believe vegetarian -- it was yummy! My second favorite was the BBQ dish with the onions and peppers over rice. Only thing the combo plate could have used a little more of would have been some fresh green veggies -- but maybe I should have gotten a side salad or something. Regardless, I highly recommend this restaurant. Very clean. Very polite to a traveller. I will go back!

Pros: Great food, Easy to find, Friendly staff

Cons: Only two tables

Really good, really different! - Edit

I was so excited to find this place right here in Worcester! The food is really different, and really good. They have something for everyone. You can park right along Belmont or just off to the side on Eastern Ave.

Delicious home-cooked Jamaican food - Edit

We were excited to try Belmont Vegetarian since there aren't any other Jamaican/Caribbean vegan restaurants in New England. It was great. Not everything listed on the menu is available at all times. When you arrive, just ask what they're cooking up before you get your heart set on a particular menu item. (For instance, they didn't have any macaroni and 'cheese' available when we were there.) We couldn't decide what we wanted to order -- so the cook made us sampler plates with a little of everything in them. This included pepper steak, soya fish, dirty rice, BBQ steak, veggie lo mein, and veggies with gravy. All of it was delicious. A medium sized portion cost $8, and a large portion cost $10. We also split a sweet dough patty, which was very flavorful. Needless to say, we left very full. The counter staff was very nice, and there was a steady stream of customers coming in and getting take-out. There are only two tables inside, so be prepared to get take-out if the booths are already occupied. We would definitely recommend Belmont Vegetarian to anyone looking for some delicious, down-home vegan Caribbean food.

Pros: great food, nice staff, convenient location

Return to Worcester Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Belmont Vegetarian Restaurant closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 9550 times since Apr 2009.