Beet Box Bakery and Cafe

Contact 303-861-0017

1030 E 22nd Ave (at San Raphael neighborhood), Denver, Colorado, USA, 80205

Vegan bakery and sandwiches. Offers cakes and pastries made from whole, mostly organic ingredients. Gluten free options. Everything from seasonal fruit jellies to cashew cream cheese and soymilk are made in-house. Quiet dining room with free Wi-Fi. At this retail location since spring 2013. Open Mon-Tue 7:00am-5:00pm, Wed-Fri 7:00am-7:00pm, Sat 8:00am-7:00pm, Sun 8:00am-5:00pm.

Category: Vegan, American, Take-out, Bakery

First Review by Jeff M

no doughnuts - Edit

cute space and decent coffee. cakes are pretty but I only had "doughnuts".these are baked "doughnuts" though, not fried dough. in other words not really doughnuts... kinda disappointing

Pros: full vegan menu

Cons: not really doughnuts

yum! - Edit

Great baked goods. We had donuts and cinnamon rolls. Great selection too. Gluten free options available! We didn't eat any sandwiches while we were there, but definitely stop for the donuts/treats.

Pros: Vegan yummyness galore. Gluten free options, Cakes and cupcakes

Cons: None really.

nuts 4 doughnuts - Edit

Oh my goodness the doughnuts!!! They are both ridiculously decadent and somehow give you the impression that they're not so bad for you? Also had the avocado melt. The cashew based cheese was different from what I expected, better than I expected.

great vegan bakery!!!!! - Edit

The doughnuts are awesome!! I wasn't overly excited for cake doughnuts but wow they're sooo super moist and delicious!!! My husband got a plain glazed vanilla and it might be my favorite lol! The chocolate with raspberry glaze was good too.

Pros: good parking , all vegan , price

Vegan Bakery -enough said - Edit

I had my first vegan croissant and it was excellent. Awesome selection of baked goods and I tried just about everything! I wish I had been able to go earlier on my trip as I would have loved to sample some of the delicious looking cakes. It was a bit of a walk from my downtown hotel but worth it. Staff were super friendly too.

Pros: taste, variety

you done good - Edit

lovely treats and desserts. we bought a ton of pastries and donuts, the kids devoured them before we got home. donuts were more like cooked cakes then fried-dough.

Pros: friendly and helpful staff, food was great, variety

Cons: not donuts, really iced cakes

Spoiled with choices - Edit

We came here looking for treats and were overwhelmed with options. Everything is vegan; many are gluten-free as well if that's your thing. We shared an apple croissant, which the staff warmed up for us and was very good. We also got a cherry-ginger scone, a loaf of chai zucchini bread, and their signature beet brownie to go for later. They were all scrumptious. The staff are such nice and friendly people too. Definitely swing by if you got a chance!

Pros: delicious treats, nice friendly staff

tasty treats in Denver - Edit

Stopped by after lunch for a treat. Nothing real impressive, vegan bakery, sold out of nearly everything. Donuts were pretty good. I'd suggest it if you were craving sweets and didn't feel like cooking.

Pros: friendly

Cons: sold out of nearly everything

Get to Beet Box in Denver! - Edit

First and foremost, the food at Beet Box Bakery and Cafe is amazing! I opted for a cremini panini, coconut mylk chai latte, and a pumpkin maple donut (which comes with a side of chips). The food is extremely good value for $, though we got our food to go, the Bakery/Cafe has a chilled atmosphere. The person who served me was a little unfriendly at first, but hey, we all have bad days! Our food arrived quickly and we given friendly goodbyes and smiles as we left. I highly recommend to vegans/non-vegans! :)

Pros: Amazing Food, Value for $$$, Chilled atmosphere

Cons: Service a little unfriendly at first

all vegan bakery - Edit

We loved Beet Box. Delicious pastries, friendly staff, coffee, lunch options, free wifi and more! For breakfast, we shared a tomato basil tart, a spinach mushroom croissant, a muffin, a donut, and a slice of cake with lattes. Yum! We came back for lunch to have the cremini panini and the avocado melt along with another donut. We took two mini cakes to go, a raspberry chocolate and a lavender lemon. And I came back on my way to the airport to grab a mushroom tart and latte. Can't get enough of this place!

Pros: all vegan bakery, pastries and lunch, nice staff

Nice vegan bakery - Edit

I was traveling through town and stopped here for breakfast. I got the vanilla donut in my husband got the cinnamon roll and we shared a hot chocolate. Both of the pastries were very good. They had so many options it was really hard to decide on what to get I wish I had time to try them all. I didn't really care for the hot chocolate it tastes like coffee and I hate coffee. Overall it seem like a nice vegan bakery. I would definitely recommend this to a friend.

Pros: 100% vegan, So many options

Cons: Slow! needed more employees, Hot chocolate tastes like coffee

Best vegan bakery I've ever been! - Edit

I recently visited Denver for the first time and I had to make a stop here after reading all the wonderful reviews. I was not disappointed in the slightest! Upon entering, I was happily greeted by the super friendly staff and after much consideration (everything looked so yummy), I decided on the turtle brownie and the gluten-free pumpkin chocolate donut. The brownie was so delicious and perfectly rich and fudgy. The donut was honestly the best donut I've ever had. It was so moist and if I could've, I would have taken all their goodies on the plane back home with me! I took my non-veg family here and they loved it too. Also, when we were leaving and trying to figure out what time the bus came to the stop across the street, we asked one of the girls up front if she knew. Instead of saying I don't know, she asked all the other staff and two of them got online right away to look up the schedule for us. Very friendly staff, great food, and all-around good atmosphere. If I get the chance to visit Denver again, this will most likely be my first stop.

some of the best bakery I've had! - Edit

Everything I tried at this all vegan bakery was really, really good- highlights were the chocolate filled croissant (oh. my. god) and the cinnamon roll. Also had the chocolate donut which was tasty, although I would have liked it a little crunchier. Fresh brewed iced tea was great too. There were so many other things I would have liked to try but only so much sugar I could handle in one trip...I will definitely be back here if ever back in Denver!

Pros: amazing bakery, cute space

the future is here, and it loves you - Edit

Veggie power to the maximum- total thought and care into this place.

Super delicious food, and naturally ... VEGAN. Supernaturally.

Everyone who works"loves" here is my personal super hero..
They have awesome artisan jewelry as well!!!

Pros: delicious to all new levels unknown to humankind, loving crew, thoughtful and creative, progressive... LOVING!!!

Hard to spot, but yummy! - Edit

I've only had one experience here so far. The vegan sandwiches were really really good! I had a cinnamon role for desert and it was just so so. Girlfriend had a cookie that was also so so, just seemed like they had sat for a while. But the sandwiches were amazing!

Friendly little bakery - Edit

I tried Beet Box for lunch one day while visiting Denver. It's off the beaten track - a little hard to find when walking in from the city center.

The girl at the counter was very friendly and patient despite my indecision! I got the with Cremini Panini with cremini mushrooms, pesto, cashew cream cheese, and arugula on country bread. It was tasty and reasonably priced.

I also grabbed four donuts to bring back with me to Boston. They are cakey and pretty tasty. I thought the flavoring on the vanilla was a little odd though. They weren't the best donuts I've eaten, but better than most vegan donuts that I've tried!

If I lived in the area, I think I would eat here regularly.

Pros: Friendly, Prices

Cons: Plain decor

Best little veg*n café and bakery in Denver! - Edit

Beet Box is a very welcome addition to the small veg*n scene in Denver, and our new favorite.

Great sandwiches, heavenly desserts, fresh baked goods, and very friendly service.

We're very impressed with their attention to quality, health, organic ingredients, etc. And they're working on more gluten-free options, which we'll also appreciate.

The brownie is exquisite!

They also have a frequent diner card that gives you free food after a certain number of purchases.

We'll come again and again. We only wish there was more on the menu for us to try! :-)

Pros: great sandwiches, delicious desserts and other baked goods, very friendly

I loved their pastries & hot chai. The turtle brownie had excellent dark gooey caramel and was so sweet and delicious. It was a nice quiet little place. I wish I lived in Denver!

Promotes Veganism NOT Hipsterism - Edit

This place is probably the coolest place you can find in Colorado. The Owner works on the Daily and will most likely be the one to prep your sandwich. The food is great, with the staff knowing about sugar and all other hidden ingredients and you are sure to be eating a 100% vegan meal which is nearly impossible in Denver. I thank this place for their fair pricing and their most amazing food. I have had almost every sandwich, def every pastry and their tea is made with in house almond milk made fresh, that is very delicious! Cant find any where else like it!! A must if you are in the Denver area! Try the Avocado Melt and enjoy your Day:) The cookies are so amazing too! cheap and way better then city o or watercourse in opinion and the vibe of this place is welcoming! Not like other places in town that serve vegan options! There is a nice vibe when you walk in the door and you dont have to be a cool kid to eat there.

Pros: parking, inexpensive, Damn Delicious

OMG so good!!! - Edit

I live in Boulder, but Beet Box is so good I may have to leave the Boulder bubble more often! I walked in half an hour before closing and they still had a great selection to choose from. I had an amazing eggplant/hummus/pesto/cashew cheese panini sandwich on fresh baked bread, and got slices of the apple caramel and pear pecan pies to go. Uggggh, so good! Have to go back and try the avocado melt. I'm even tempted by the turtle brownies which are gluten free, and I usually avoid gf but these looked amazing.

Pros: friendly staff, open late, ALL VEGAN DELICIOUSNESS

Nothing bad to say about the beet boxers - Edit

Outstanding place and outstanding people—Denver needed a Beet Box. Check 'em out whether you're a local or just headed through town. Hearts for Beet Box.

Pros: Vegan everything

Cons: Nope!

Vegan with Gluten Free Options - Edit

I was very happy to walk into this establishment after a long drive through the middle of the US. I could not find one piece of dairy free chocolate at any gas stop between Illinois and Colorado. All that behind, the offerings at the Beet Box Bakery & Cafe were fantastic. My only regret is that I was not in town long enough to try more of what they had to offer.

Pros: All Vegan & Some Gluten Free, Creative Offerings, Frinedly Staff

Love it!!! - Edit

Beet Box has amazing pastries, cupcakes, tarts, cakes, sandwiches and coffee!

Their cinnamon rolls are SO good. And I highly recommend the Avocado Melt sandwich which even got a "WOW that was a really good sandwich!" from my part time vegan husband.

Everyone who works there is super nice. It's great to support a growing vegan café!

Pros: Excellent vegan goodies, friendly staff

Kale & Potato Tart, Croissants, ABC ...LOVE! - Edit

LOVE Beet Box. The ABC sandwich with layered beets, cashew spread on FRESH baked everyday in house bread is awesome!! Nobody makes their own sandwich bread - these guys are awesome. And the fresh bread makes all of the difference. I also loved the kale and potato tart. Savory croissants are good but could use a little more of the savory filling. Donuts are not real donuts, i.e. not fried, so they are like cupcakes in the shape of a donut. I like the chocolate walnut one. Pecan pie is good. Not in love with the beet brownie as it really doesn't have a chocolate flavor. Staff uniformly nice, owners super nice, chill vibe. They make their own almond milk for their espresso drinks. GO GO GO!

vegan! - Edit

Good sandwiches, good coffee, all vegan! I also enjoy there bread and sweets. I recommend the ABC sandwich and the banh mi. Reasonable prices, good vibe inside. No sign out front as of 9/2013

Pros: vegan

Sandwiches now at beet box! - Edit

Great vegan bakery with all the trimmings! In addition to great pastries and donuts your favorite vegan bakery now has sandwiches on the lunch menu. My all time favorite is the bear claw! Stop by and give it a try!

Pros: bear claws, special order cakes, vegan atmosphere

Cons: no treats for my dog, no patio, not open early enough

Great bakery! - Edit

Beet Box is a damn good bakery and the bonus for us is that it is 100% vegan. Finding fresh vegan desserts and baked goods was almost impossible in the Denver until Beet Box came to town. I've missed doughnuts since going vegan and Beet Box makes some great ones. Additionally, we've had several of their other items such as the sweet potato cinnamon rolls, savory tarts, sweet tarts, pies, and scones - all of them are excellent. The sweet tarts that we've eaten from Beet Box are hands down the best I've had in my life - vegan or otherwise. If you're looking for something to take to an occasion with omnivores, Beet Box is the perfect solution. Everytime I've brought donuts, tarts, or anything from here to work meetings/luncheons, everything gets gobbled up and people can't believe it's vegan.

Their new store is great!

You can also get their baked goods at different stores in Denver such as Nooch vegan market.

Updated from previous review on Sunday February 03, 2013

Pros: Vegan doughnuts!!, Gluten Free Items

Return to Denver Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Beet Box Bakery and Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 13478 times since May 2012.