Watercourse Foods

Contact 303-832-7313

837 E 17th Ave, Denver, Colorado, USA, 80218

Established since 1998 as a vegetarian restaurant and switched to being all vegan in 2014. Offers a wide variety of plant-based comfort food options, including tofu dishes and international plates. Sunny open space. Open Mon-Sun 9:00am-11:00pm.

Category: Vegan, American, International, Beer/Wine

First Review by A.Z.P.

Great fish n chips - Edit

Enjoyed the seitan buffalo wings here but the real star was the tofu fish n chips. My girlfriend said she thought the fries were the best she'd had in at least two years - and she eats a lot of fries!

Pros: Excellent service, Excellent food

Cons: Buffalo sauce was pretty vinegary, Forgot our appetiser and so it came after the main

Not what I expected - Edit

I always check out vegan restaurants when traveling, and the reviews for Watercourse Foods made it sound enchanting.

I placed a to-go order on Thursday, early evening, after some hassle (no one answered, left a message, no return call after 15 minutes, and then I called back to connect with a human ... whew).

Order:
Seaweed Salad
Cauliflower Wings
Nachos
Cuban Sandwich
Atlas Sandwich

It was okay. Not amazing, not great, but okay.

My favorite items were the seaweed salad and Cuban Sandwich.

The high salt content blew out my taste buds for the nachos.

And the fried cauliflower was greasy, but had no taste. It must depend mostly on the sauce.

On the whole, I just wasn't taken by the flavors. No dish was enticing enough to finish (though, my pups enjoyed every bite!)

The staff was great, accommodating and helpful. And they seemed quite cheerful.

So, perhaps my expectations were artificially high following my review perusal. Or, I missed the importance of ambiance since I ate in my hotel room.

To give them their due, Watercourse Foods faces some stiff competition since I've tasted great vegan food all over the United States and Canada.

And, admittedly, I have always found the food of Colorado to be ... bland (my grandmother lives in the state).

Would I visit again? Yes. But, I would not psyche myself up for the experience.

Pros: Happy Staff, Good Portion Sizes, Excellent To-Go packing

Cons: Not Flavorful, Too Greasy

Always a pleasure eating here - Edit

My husband is an omni so we usually don't eat at strictly vegan restaurants. this is one vegan restaurant he actually looks forward to! everything is delicious! Try the sweet potato cinnamon roll and the "hoho". And the chorizo hash. Soooo goood! And the milkshake. Anything. That's what I'm trying to say. It's all good! Also the service rocks!

Pros: all vegan, delicious

Good times at water course - Edit

Had enjoyable time. Food was good and fast. Call in advance for reservations, we went on a sat. night and they were packed. Kid/family friendly.
patrons and staff were great. They were out of Kombucha :(. How could that be? Now I crave Gluten Free/Raw choices.

Pros: Great food, Fast service

Cons: Parking ain't easy

incredibly good - Edit

It's amazing.
However, I've had tons on the menu and omg
Seitan wings, cauliflower wings, etc. I have a very picky palate too. and if you have a refined palate you will die for the watermelon radish seaweed salad. Literally die. Forest, the chef is a gd genius. Exquisite.
I'll try to be balanced, the only negative is maybe (unless you like cashew cheese) the mac and cheese is a bit dry for me. And I miss the dessert case.

Pros: food esp watermelon radish seaweed, friendly staff , appropriate pricing

LOVE - Edit

This place is amazing. We ate here twice in our stay in Denver. The buffalo cauliflower wings were out of the world as was the tofish sandwich. We also enjoyed breakfast- my husband and I couldn't stop going on and on about how good it all was to each other. Our waitress, Mary Jane, was super awesome and nice and friendly and it was all just a perfect experience! Will definitely return here.

Pros: all vegan , mind-blowingingly delicious , friendly staff, great atmosphere

Cons: there's not one in my town, I can't order online and get it delivered to T

An all-time favorite! - Edit

Farm to table concept, but all vegan! I over-ate. I couldn't resist getting a latte and dessert, after already having a delicious entree, and sharing an appetizer. I was totally over the moon; everything was so exciting and delicious. It is such a comfort, too, to be able to order anything: mac-n-cheese, ice cream, a latte... and not have to worry about ingredients.

Pros: Classy, thoughtful, delicious

Cons: Kind of loud

mmmm mmmm! - Edit

I was in heaven eating a gravy and salsa smothered breakfast burrito, using a biscuit to slop up some of that gravy. it seems like the menu might have changed (I haven't been in town in quite a while) but it all looks like it would be amazing.

Really good food - Edit

I am visiting Denver so I used my app to find me a vegan place to eat. I could not be happier about the fact that I was able to eat here! The Cuban sandwich was amazing! I also got onion rings and a chocolate and peanut butter shake to go. All were very good. The staff was super friendly as well. I'm in town for another day and I will probably go back here again tomorrow.

food and dessert aplenty - Edit

We stopped in while visiting Denver based on their brunch menu, specifically the Big Rig selection, and the kid friendly options as well. We were not disappointed. In fact, it exceeded our expectations! I would not hesitate to recommend this place to family, friend or foe alike.

Pros: Variety for all moods, Those desserts!, Nice atmosphere

great place - Edit

good atmosphere, though maybe a little loud. the cauliflower wing app is delicious. taco entree is also fantastic. the jack fruit app is not so good. if you get a fried app, don't get one of the southern platters since they also have fried cauliflower-altogether too heavy. overall, well worth it!

New owners = Poor food and service - Edit

We used to LOVE going here because the service was friendly and quick, the food was made with pride and love, and the prices were reasonable. As the place was slowly being handed down to new owners, the prices raised up about $3-$5 per dish, the food started tasting saltier and cheaper, and the service became EXTREMELY slow. We recently went there hoping we would have a different experience but, yet again were totally disappointed. We arrived at 6:10 a bit after the dinner rush thinking it would be more calm and didn't get our food (easy stuff: breakfast burrito, and Mac n cheez) until about 7:15. We were offered NO accommodations while we were told several times by the server "yeah sorry it's taking so long" as we sat and stared at empty water cups.

We both threw in the towel and agreed once and for all that this was the LAST chance we were giving watercourse. We're excited to hear that the old owner is considering opening up a new restaurant sometime in the future. We refuse to give any more of our money to watercourse again. With all of the QUALITY vegan restaurants to choose from in the area, we won't be missing out on anything.

Pros: The restaurant is 100% vegan

Cons: Long wait, Poor food quality, Lousy service

Outstanding vegan restaurant -a must stop - Edit

Wow! We live in Toronto which has many terrific vegan restaurants and have travelled to NYC, Boston, Chicago and many other parts of the US. It is quite possible that Watercourse is our favourite vegan restaurant ever. The food was outstanding, especially the pretzel, the corn dog and the pancakes. The freshly squeezed juice was excellent as well. Perhaps the best feature was the attached bakery complete with a wide range of delicious vegan baked goods and milkshakes. Watercourse was the first restaurant to receive perfect scores from every family member and was the winner of our 2014 road trip “Restaurant Wars”. If you go to Denver go to Watercourse!!

Great vegan restaurant - Edit

Our lunch at Watercourse rated very highly among all restaurants we've tried. We jerk crab cakes as appetizer, ruk kora salad (lovely), Watercourse burger (great), Thai curry, and southern plate (breaded cauliflower chicken). The key lime pie was wonderful. This was a really great place to dine in.

One of my favorites... - Edit

Everyone else has already said what needs to be said. This place is delicious. They serve breakfast options all day long which is a huge plus in my book. They have an awesome selection of food, drinks and dessert. This is definitely one of the best vegan restaurants I've been to.

Pros: seitan wings , spiked shakes and alcohol menu, service

OMG- Delicious - Edit

You know that moment when you take the first bite of a new dish, and you pause and close your eyes for a moment, thinking "OMG! This is so freaking delicious!" That's what happened when I tried the Baja tacos at Watercourse. They are made with black beans and beer-battered 'tofish' in small soft taco shells, topped with cilantro lime slaw and chipotle aioli. I also had the ruk kora salad with arugula, carrots, fresh beets, edamame, cucumber, & oranges,topped with cashews, black sesame seeds and crispy soba noodles. The yuzu vinaigrette was light, and not too oily, which I liked. The salad was very good, just not mind-blowingly amazing like the tacos. The atmosphere was casual and quiet on a hot Sunday afternoon. The young server was very friendly and helpful too.

Pros: excellent fresh vegan food, fun atmosphere, friendly staff & quick service

Good food, Good portions - Edit

I stopped here with my family on the day we were leaving Colorado. It was midday and we all just wanted a late lunch. Everyone was very happy with their food. I ordered chocolate chip pancakes (yes, in the middle of the day) and they were super fluffy and yummy. The one thing I will say is that I was expecting the chocolate to be IN the pancakes, but it was just lightly sprinkled on top, which was super disappointing. They should work on enhancing their flavors a bit. The servers were very friendly and the vibe of the place was very clean and chill. Overall, great experience.

Pros: Good sized portions , Clean, Friendly vibe

Cons: Needs more seasoning

Nice happy hour experience - Edit

I stopped by here on the way to Breckenridge from Denver airport. It happened to be during happy hour, which was fortunate. They have a great selection of delicious-sounding dishes as well as a nice range of beers to choose from.

I ordered the Atlas and opted for a side of mashed potatoes and gravy. The potatoes were mashed with skins in, which I like. The Atlas was a towering sandwich composed of tempeh bacon, avocado, and fried green tomatoes. I really liked each individual ingredient, but as a whole, the sandwich came out tasty a bit salty and heavy. It might benefit from a fresh relish or extra red tomatoes to offset the rich flavors a bit.

That said, I really enjoyed my meal and my overall experience here (the staff was really nice). I would jump at the opportunity to come here again next time I'm in Denver.

Pros: Nice staff, Great menu, Good beers

Return to Denver Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Watercourse Foods closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 20888 times.