Watercourse Foods

• Vegan
Contact 303-832-7313

837 E 17th Ave, Denver, Colorado, USA, 80218

Established since 1998 as a vegetarian restaurant and switched to being all vegan in 2014. Offers a wide variety of plant-based comfort food options, including tofu dishes and international plates. Sunny open space.

Category: Vegan, American, International, Beer/Wine, Bakery

First Review by egietz

One of my favorites... - Edit

Everyone else has already said what needs to be said. This place is delicious. They serve breakfast options all day long which is a huge plus in my book. They have an awesome selection of food, drinks and dessert. This is definitely one of the best vegan restaurants I've been to.

Pros: seitan wings , spiked shakes and alcohol menu, service

OMG- Delicious - Edit

You know that moment when you take the first bite of a new dish, and you pause and close your eyes for a moment, thinking "OMG! This is so freaking delicious!" That's what happened when I tried the Baja tacos at Watercourse. They are made with black beans and beer-battered 'tofish' in small soft taco shells, topped with cilantro lime slaw and chipotle aioli. I also had the ruk kora salad with arugula, carrots, fresh beets, edamame, cucumber, & oranges,topped with cashews, black sesame seeds and crispy soba noodles. The yuzu vinaigrette was light, and not too oily, which I liked. The salad was very good, just not mind-blowingly amazing like the tacos. The atmosphere was casual and quiet on a hot Sunday afternoon. The young server was very friendly and helpful too.

Pros: excellent fresh vegan food, fun atmosphere, friendly staff & quick service

AMAZING!!! - Edit

One of the best vegan restaurants I've ever eaten in!!! Tofish and chips....out of this world. The cauliflower wings- we got half barbecue, half buffalo...wow!!! They're simply amazing. Service was great- our sever Mary Jane rocked, super attentive and friendly. We went back and got breakfast too- split their version of huevos rancheros and the breakfast sampler type enter with the biscuit and gravy option and all vegan....can't say enough good things!!!! Wonderful!

Pros: location, easy parking , amazing food, breakfast served all day

Good food, Good portions - Edit

I stopped here with my family on the day we were leaving Colorado. It was midday and we all just wanted a late lunch. Everyone was very happy with their food. I ordered chocolate chip pancakes (yes, in the middle of the day) and they were super fluffy and yummy. The one thing I will say is that I was expecting the chocolate to be IN the pancakes, but it was just lightly sprinkled on top, which was super disappointing. They should work on enhancing their flavors a bit. The servers were very friendly and the vibe of the place was very clean and chill. Overall, great experience.

Pros: Good sized portions , Clean, Friendly vibe

Cons: Needs more seasoning

Nice happy hour experience - Edit

I stopped by here on the way to Breckenridge from Denver airport. It happened to be during happy hour, which was fortunate. They have a great selection of delicious-sounding dishes as well as a nice range of beers to choose from.

I ordered the Atlas and opted for a side of mashed potatoes and gravy. The potatoes were mashed with skins in, which I like. The Atlas was a towering sandwich composed of tempeh bacon, avocado, and fried green tomatoes. I really liked each individual ingredient, but as a whole, the sandwich came out tasty a bit salty and heavy. It might benefit from a fresh relish or extra red tomatoes to offset the rich flavors a bit.

That said, I really enjoyed my meal and my overall experience here (the staff was really nice). I would jump at the opportunity to come here again next time I'm in Denver.

Pros: Nice staff, Great menu, Good beers

liked it so much I applied - Edit

The food is delicious and beautifully plated, you can't go wrong whatever dish you order. The staff feels like a big family. Huckleberry Coffee Roasters is their featured coffee roaster which is great, with tasting notes and specific farm origins written on their bags. Open the easy-to-remember 9am to 11pm hours every day.

Delicious food and great atmosphere - Edit

Stopped in Watercourse for lunch and was quite surprised at the size of the place (big!) with indoor and outdoor seating. I was alone so sat at the bar for quick service, and glad I did. The waitress was very friendly and approved of my order of the Macro Plate with side of refried black beans. The atmosphere was great and would be a fun place to visit with friends for a brew, wine, etc. in addition to a wide selection of vegan food. This may be a place to bring unsuspecting omni friends for a beer and bite, you order some amazing vegan food, and BOOM you blow their mind with amazing plant-based cuisine.

Pros: Atmosphere , food, staff

Amazing! - Edit

A bit on the pricey side but simply amazing!! The interior design of the restaurant is beautiful, cozy and retro popping! We loved the crab cakes appetizer blew us away! And the French Toast sent us into a frenzy! I also loved my Crunch Wrap! Will return, brunch is the best!

EVERYTHING IS VEGAN - Edit

I felt overwhelmed with the wonderful choice of food on their extensive total vegan menu.
it was lovely not having to ask or check if it was vegan - it all is.
I wish I lived closer!
totally recommend this restaurant

amazing selection, reasonable prices, great service - Edit

The menu almost had too many good choices. The desserts were amazing, prices were cheaper than they should be. The atmosphere is laid back, yet lively. All of the staff that I dealt with were great about recommending menu items.

WOW - Edit

On my last day in Denver I finally made it out to Watercourse! So many things to try, but I settled on bread pudding french toast and fruit. It was amazing! I would love to go back to Denver to try more things from the menu.

Pros: taste, variety

by far the best in the business - Edit

THE Vegan Mecca! One must journey here at least once in their vegan lifetime! Breakfast all day! Creative and balanced menu. Gorgeous eco-friendly interior design. Featuring and promoting local visual artists each month on their walls. Eco to-go packaging. Super friendly staff and cool vibe with friendly customers.

So wish this place was local for me - Edit

This place was awesome! I am just sad that there isn't a similar place back in Sacramento. The entire restaurant is vegan, but you wouldn't be able to tell looking at it. A lot of vegan restaurants have kind of a strange crowd, but this place seemed to be popular to meat eaters too. We decided to go here for breakfast because of all of the options they had. I got the BREAKFAST BURRITO (Refried black beans and your choice of home fries, sweet potatoes, or rice, wrapped in a tortilla and smothered with gravy or green chili) I choose sweet potatoes and green chili. The chili salsa was super good and super spicy. I love spicy food so I was all about it, but if you don't handle spice well, I would skip it. This was a very tasty breakfast. My friend ordered the VERDURAS RANCHEROS (Creamed corn with green chili, refried black beans, crispy homefries, avocado crème, pickled jalapenos and fresh cilantro. Served with your choice of wheat or corn tortillas). She really enjoyed hers too. I was super tempted to get their drink that was kombucha with champagne, but I decided against alcohol so early in the day. It sounded and looked awesome though. This restaurant has fresh cold pressed juice, kombucha, and beer/wine. What more could you ask for? Cinnamon rolls! Cinnamon rolls is what you could ask for and let me tell you, they had an AMAZING sweet potato cinnamon roll there too! I was stuffed from my burrito, but decided to get one to-go. Pretty stoked that I did too. Only regret is that we didn't get to go eat there more times while we were in town. They seemed to have more comfort food on the menu, but had a bunch of salads and sandwiches too. I hope to go back soon.

Pros: All vegan, Nice vibe, Creative menu

A lot great, a little yuck - Edit

We went as a family to this restaurant and loved the huge menu of options. The tofu fish and chips was amazing, and the artichoke and mushroom pasta was good. The cauliflower wings appetizer was delicious. However, the biscuits and gravy were almost inedible, and the tofu scramble and tofu bacon wasn't good enough to eat. Overall, glad we went but we will stay away from the breakfast items next time.
Parking is street parking and was a challenge to navigate.

Pros: Large variety, Gluten free options, Happy hour discount on appetizers

Cons: Breakfast items not good, Parking

Love-Love-LOVE this Restaurant! - Edit

It has an all-vegan menu with lots of variety and menu updates so regulars stay interested. EVERYTHING is good, the Caesar salad is a must-have, burgers are satisfying, you can get breakfast all day long and the decadent dessert shakes are awesome! There's a new mushroom/pepper appetizer that comes out on a slate plate, it's fabulous. Sit at the bar (yay, vegan beer and wine!) or in a booth by the window and peer out at the great Denver neighborhood.

Pros: Friendly employees, Decent prices, AWESOME food

Cons: Ambiance isn't superb or fancy

Watercourse Foods -- delicious! - Edit

I reviewed the menu before arriving (out of state visitor) at Watercourse Foods, but the moment I sat down and reviewed the menu again, the choice became even harder! I ended up going with the Bahn Mi sandwich. The gluten free bread was outstanding, and so was the side of soup I chose. I noticed kombucha on the menu so decided to try the "rose" kombucha, it was great to throw back with the sandwich. Couldn't resist dessert, so I tried their cookie, sweet potato, pecan, coconut, chocolate goodness. Everything so fresh, didn't have to wait and the staff was generous.

Pros: Quality of food , Freshness , Bright and clean

Cons: Not in NY!

I really wanted to like this place. - Edit

Traveling from out of town and had planned on eating here for some time. Ordered the biscuits and gravy and was disappointed. I thought it was overly salty and cold. The tofu bacon was really bland. On a more positive note, my boyfriend ordered the Verduras Rancheras and was very happy with his decision! His food was a tad cold though. The restaurant was freezing when we first arrived and stayed pretty frigid. The hot chocolate was really good.

Best vegetarian restaurant in CO so far - Edit

One of the best vegetarian restaurants, probably the best I know in Colorado. The restaurant is nice, also the surrounding neighborhood and the other guests. The staff was helpful and friendly.
The food was amazing. We liked especially the Sirloin steak. It tasted great, you shouldn't miss it!

Pros: Great food, great place, I liked the athmosphere

Divine 'Crab' Cakes - Edit

The decor in Watercourse Foods has a natural feel - raw timber, indoor plants, large windows and lots of light in the day, soft lighting at night. The service is friendly and quick. But the FOOD. Let me tell you about the food. We always order the buffalo cauliflower wings because they're so good. But the crab cakes were new. The chef uses jack fruit to create a shredded-'meat' texture and they've nailed the crab cake flavor. (I have tasted crab cakes in New Orleans during a moment of pescetarianism). They are insanely good. I haven't been able to get them off my mind for days. The wine selection is good with some organic choices. There is a local beer selection and a few unusual cocktails such as the kombucha champagne. The breakfast menu is available all day. Although Watercourse is 100% vegan, it is still a great place to bring carnivores because the food is so flavorsome with the faux meat dishes surprisingly convincing. If you don't mention the crab cakes are not of real crab, your carnivorous friends would never know! ;-)

Pros: Delicious Food, Friendly service, Reasonable Prices

Cons: Do not take reservations for 4 or less

Amazing! - Edit

Terrific first time trying out Watercourse Foods. Service was delightful and everything we had was beyond delicious. Tried the chocolate chip pancakes, buffalo cauliflower, loaded bake potato fries, banana bread French toast, and the biscuits with gravy. Will have to stop through on my next road trip through Colorado.

Awesome! - Edit

The place was very nice and had a great atmosphere. Our waitress Nisa was so sweet and helpful and the food was very tasty. The orange beef seemed very realistic and if you like a bit of coconut flavor, the mac & cheese is good. The key like pie is light and tangy though a bit pricey. Would go back if I'm in Denver, and definitely recommend.

Pros: friendly staff

fantastic - Edit

Great service, amazing food. Definitely will be back. The waitress even gave us coffees on the house since the food took a bit of time to come out. Pleasant atmosphere. Delicious shakes.

Pros: atmosphere, service, food

Vegan Comfort Food at its best! - Edit

We were in Denver for a concert and looked up the nearest Happy Cow recommendations. Boy were we luck to find this one! I had the 'chicken fried steak' dish, and I haven't had something so tasty in years! My spouse had the tofu fish and chips - a HUGE improvement over regular fish and chips if I do say so myself. We're already trying to figure out when we can get back to Watercourse --- so many yummy options and we want to try them all. AND did I mention it's all vegan??? Crazy goodness.

Pros: Authentic American comfort food, Great location, close to downtown, Wonderful wait staff

Cons: Couldn't try everything in one visit, Too full for dessert

Best vegan restaurant I've ever been to - Edit

This place has set a high standard since I was there last July. I got the faux fish and chips and everything about it was amazing! Flavor, texture, portion size, top marks all around.

I don't tend to miss animal foods but growing up on an island fish and chips was a childhood favorite so it's nice to have that flavor combo again, especially the chewy battered fried tofu texture that's unmatched.

Pros: Top notch food, Huge menu

Cons: Makes all other vegan restaurants not-as-good

loved everything about it! - Edit

My boyfriend and I had brunch here before flying home to Baltimore, and we both loved our food. I had the country fried seitan with gravy, a biscuit, sweet potato hash, scrambled tofu, and a cinnamon bun. He had the "slam". It was all delicious. I've been to kots of vegan restaurants, and this is easily one of my new favorites. Not only was the food great, but it's a charming space, has friendly staff, and gives huge portions for the prices.

Pros: all vegan, delicious, great portions

Cons: street parking can be tricky

favorite restaurant - Edit

This is by far not only my favorite vegan restaurant, but my favorite restaurant overall. They have such a fantastic selection of food and when usually I have trouble because there's so little to choose from, when I'm here, I have trouble because there's so much to choose from. I love going here for my birthday, especially because it's a block away from my grandma's house so it's very easy for her to join us. Haven't yet eaten on the patio, but I know it would be fun to sit out there and watch everyone walking around. I love eating here with family members (I haven't had the opportunity to take any friends yet) and introducing them to vegan food. The appetizers are fantastic as are the desserts which are displayed in a glass case in the front. The first few times, I've had the ho-ho cupcake, but it's super chocolatey, even if you only have a fourth of it. However, if you really like chocolate or hostess chocolate cakes, this is for you. I prefer the carrot cake and cheese cake, though. Much more manageable.

Pros: fantastic food, fun, hippie feel, not in the busy part of Denver

The place to go in Denver - Edit

For vegan food, Watercourse is the king of Denver. Their menu diversity - for breakfast, lunch, dinner, dessert and drinks - combined with the deliciousness of literally everything I've tried is unbeatable. The nachos, the Grinder, the country fried seitan and the hoho cupcake are some of my favorites, but you truly can't go wrong with their menu.

If you're in Denver and have one place to eat, this is it.

Pros: Best vegan restaurant I've ever been to, Portions are generous, Great atmosphere

Don't miss this while in Colorado - Edit

First things first, this is not a bash on Native foods, they are good at what they do. I learned about watercourse while reading reviews about Native foods, it seems a devout Watercourse patron or friend was pretty displeased with Native foods and led me here. Trust me, their rant didn't deter me from Native, we just want to experience as much as possible and already ate at Native Portland.

That said, we were completely satiated today, buffalo cauliflower wings, 2 for 1 Mimosas, the grinder and onion rings and a green chili burger with fries. We'll have to be off junk food for a month but this was well worth the trip from Estes Park while on vacation. I absolutely suggest this place

Pros: our waiter was very friendly and knowledgeable

Cons: the host did not greet us, or the people that arri

One of my Faves - Edit

This is one of my favorite restaurants in the west. Though I don't live in Denver, I make an effort to come here every time I'm in town.

My very favorite dishes are the wings (which is a HUGE portion) and the po' boys. I especially love the fried artichoke heart option for the po' boys. I tried the vegan cheese platter and wasn't wild about it, but everyone else raved so that must just be me.

There always seems to be a wait, but I've never had to wait more than 20 minutes.

Pros: The food, The atmosphere

So good! - Edit

An excellent meal! I had the Tofish 'n' Chips with a side of cole slaw. It was delicious and the portions were generous. I also splurged on ho ho cupcake for dessert. It was huge! Everything was fantastic and I would highly recommend this place. Also, the staff is very friendly and the atmosphere is lovely.

terrific brunch and dinner - Edit

During my trip to Denver, we ate at Watercourse twice in one day. The space is nice and the staff friendly. We had no problem parking for brunch, but dinner was extremely difficult due to a nearby concert. In any case, the food was terrific. For brunch, we had the Watercouse Slam with a little bit of everything and the Big Rig with country fried seitan steak and biscuit & gravy. Also, got a Black Velvet (champagne and oatmeal stout) to start. All delicious. For dinner, we met a local couple there, so they already knew what they wanted. I had the hardest time choosing as it all looked good. We started with the corn dogs which were amazing. For entrees, we had the Cuban sandwich and the daily shepherd's pie special. Both hit the spot. Wish I could have gone another time. And it's wonderful that they are all vegan now.

Pros: all vegan , variety of dishes, nice staff

Best restaurant in Denver. - Edit

Never had a bad meal or experience at Watercourse. Staff are pleasant and attentive. Food is simply wonderful. I can't honestly put into words how good everything is. I have eaten there twice in a day once! A MUST for anyone.

Pros: great staff, well kept., insane food.

so great! - Edit

We came here for dinner and liked it so much, we returned for lunch before leaving Denver. The sandwiches and sides were to die for! Big portions too! The desserts were amazing....especially the "scout cookie"

Cons: a bit loud

Serious Nom - Edit

I liked this place so, so much! The grinder was delectable: bursting with flavor and the seitan was actually frighteningly roast-beefish (if you're into that kind of thing.) My husband got the buffalo wings....also excellent. I can't wait to go back!

All vegan, but nothing special - Edit

Almost all the reviews I read about this place we're great. But I was a bit disappointed after eating here. The service was very nice and friendly, but the food not that good. As a starter, we had the Buffalo Wings. The taste was special (as we have never tried that before), but they were good. Our main dishes were only spicy and nothing else. We had a Hash dish which tasted a bit burnt and the Quinoa burger. Maybe we just chose the wrong dishes. I would definitely go and try out other places next time. But I am happy that Watercourse Food only serves vegan dishes.

Pros: All vegan, Huge choice of different dishes

Cons: Location

just as amazing as I expected! - Edit

I'd been looking forward to eating here on an upcoming trip to Denver so I had very high hopes- but Watercourse Foods did not disappoint!! My husband ordered the tomato curry soup and the taco plate, both were delicious; I had the artichoke heart po' boy with lentil salad, which were also really, really good (I could have done with a little extra remoulade on the sandwich, but it was still great). But the DESSERT- DO NOT SKIP DESSERT!! I was already so full but our waiter talked me into it and I'm so glad he did- I had the "Reece's" cake, which was (duh) chocolate peanut butter, and it was amazing, one of the best pieces of cake I've had. Ever.

Pros: amazing food, big menu, DESSERT!!

great food then, great food today - Edit

Over a decade ago I used to visit watercourse regularly. It was one of the first of its kind then and they offered some incredible food. Present day I find myself back in Denver eating at watercourse again. The food remains as delicious as it did back then, with some great additions. This is top of my list whenever visiting.

Highly Recommended - Edit

The place was busy when i got there, but as i was dining alone there was seating at the counter so i didn't have to wait. There were lots of couples and larger groups, as well as a few other solo diners.

I went for the bbq jack fruit with hush puppies and sides of kale and brown rice. As i had no idea what hush puppies might be, the friendly waitress explained that they were deep fried balls of corn bread. They were delicious, as was the rest of the meal.

I also had the Joonie Juice. An organic, cold-pressed mix of carrot, beetroot, apple and ginger. It was amazing, if a little pricey at $7.

Overall, i thought this was a great place and i definitely come back next time i'm in Denver.

Pros: Interesting menu, Friendly staff, Popular

Cons: A little expensive

Best Vegan Deserts - Edit

I don't want to shortchange their regular food because it is fantastic - especially now with the 100% vegan menu. The new chef is really top notch.

That said, having been to a ton of vegan restaurants all over the world, Watercourse has the best deserts. Horrible place to go if you are on a diet.

They're Now 100% VEGAN!! - Edit

I submitted a change today which might take the lovely folks at Happy Cow a little while to get up, but in the meantime I want to share the fabulous news that as of today, they are completely vegan! Oh, and as a fabulous surprise, some of their prices WENT DOWN!

This place is a Denver veggie mainstay, and we love it. My husband and I frequent Watercourse often, and love their food and find the employees to be sweet for the most part. In fact, to address some issues I read from other reviewers, we have actually found the service has gotten better in recent years. We have also found that the best service is often to be had sitting at the bar, and we absolutely adore Brielle who often bar tends and is incredibly sweet and attentive.

Their menu is clearly marked for gluten-free and nut allergies, and they are very accommodating when it's possible. It used to be marked for vegan, but that is no longer an issue!

Their seitan wings are out of this world, and I was truly sad when I had to go gluten-free a few years back, but I'm happy to report they now have Buffalo Cauliflower Wings on the menu and holy cow(less)! Another of my favorite dishes is the Black Bean/Sweet Potato Tacos, they're very flavorful and filling. Breakfast is now an all day affair, and there are some very tasty options there as well. They have gluten-free bread available for their sandwiches, too.

Dessert is a lovely splurge. Yes, it's expensive, but it's not super-cheap to make and my hubby and I usually split it when we get something. The Scout Cookies are a thing of culinary beauty. They also carry vegan ice cream from Sweet Action, with a rotating special flavor.

Highly recommended for some good vegan comfort food!

Pros: Now 100% Vegan!, Tasty Food, Friendly Service

Cons: Service can be a bit slow, Often long waits

For vegans and omnivores - Edit

I went to Watercourse with two omnivores - one of which who was not very familiar with vegetarian food. The waiter really helped him find something he would enjoy, and was patient to explain what everything was. The gnocchi special was delicious, as was the dessert. Both friends also enjoyed their meals. It is pricey - my bill was $37 for a small plate, glass of wine, and a small slice of cake.

Pros: Wait staff, Yummy vegan meals, Wine menu

Cons: Pricey, Small portions, Ambience

LOVE THIS PLACE - Edit

I come here every visit to Denver. Veggie juices are great, buffalo wings are my favorite, and the staff is so welcoming and friendly. I can't say enough great things about the food and staff.

Pros: food, staff, speed

great food, nice family restaurant - Edit

The menu was nice and varied. There was vegan chicken & waffles which I sadly didn't get to try. We got a vegan cheese plate, which was fun & tasty. We tried the juices but they were a little too intense, especially the cayenne pepper one.

Pros: great food, nice 'family restaurant' atmosphere

Cons: cayenne pepper juice

Meh - Edit

I was a bit disappointed with this restaurant. My boyfriend and his family are meatatarians and I wanted to introduce them to good vegetarian food. Unfortunately the food wasn't amazing and I felt it was a missed opportunity to show how good the food could be. The first sandwich I ordered was so spicy I had to send it back and the second one was just very tomato-ey.

Vegan options, unusual yet delicious fare, a little pricey for the serving size. - Edit

We have visited Watercourse foods several times both as a family and as a couple for date night. The food is pleasant/good for the true veg head and they have a large & interesting menu which can mostly be veganized. The macro plate is delicious but definitely not for the unadventurous eater! The raw juices are fresh pressed, healthy and well worth the wait - especially the ones containing ginger. I agree that the level of vegan delight depends on which staff you get. Once, despite saying we were vegan at the outset, our whole meal was prepared Vegetarian and had to be sent back. So, tell them you are vegan more than once! By direct contrast, one day my child did not eat their meal because of the poor flavor and the server took it off the bill! Our best experience has been eating here without children when paying a little extra for the food seems indulgent and can be paired with a nice bottle of wine! If you are an adventurous vegan who likes smaller portions, try it and enjoy the variety. If you like more standard fare and feeling full, head to Native Foods!

Pros: Interesting menu for adventurous vegans, Great juices/smoothies

Cons: Pricey for small portions , Restaurant staff vary greatly in their knowledge &, Not great for kids (faux meat is terrible)

Not the best Staff - Edit

When asked on sugar and refining process and on other ingredients like theie natural flavoring used in bakery. The staff was very unfriendly and unknowing of what type of Sugar was used and also in what went into the cakes? The staff at the restaurant is very unwelcoming. They are all putting off a vibe that they are cool or some thing like that? Yes it is a hip place and yes its probably cool to work there, but these staff members are on another level of ridiculous. Many times have i gotten a snub reply on a simple queston like what type of cookie is that? You dont have to be a dick to pour some one a togo coffee either. The place is very over priced in my opinion giving into the its expensive to be vegan. they don't help by charging 7 dollars for the smallest slice of cake you will ever have. This place has good food but the price and the staff are the most biggest turn off. Over 3 for a cookie and 7 for a slice of cake is crazy when you can go to beet box, down the street mind you, and get a real vegan cookie for a buck thats bigger! this place needs to be put in czech. For there only being a few options for vegans in denver this place should really consider laying off the hipster crowd and really promoting to mother earth and a better way of life instead of cashing in on it.

Cons: price too much, staff is lame, wrong intentions

Sorely disappointed - Edit

My partner and I came here just to find out they wouldn't be serving their regular menu that evening, but a special prixe fixe "Harvest Dinner" for $70 per person, with every item also available a la carte. We were only hoping to get something light anyway as we had already had a few bites at the hotel. Plus, being out-of-towners, we weren't aware of other vegan options nearby, so we still headed in, which sadly turned out to be an utter disappointment.

I truly can't think of a single thing worth recommending about this place. Granted, it was a special menu they were doing, but if the food we had was supposed to be "special", I could only imagine how much better the regular menu could be. First dish we had was the "baby winter green salad with endive, raspberry powder, pear gastrique and blue cheese crisp". It was literally a few spring mix leaves and two endive leaves sandwiched between two thin speckled crisps dusted with raspberry powder. The dressing was bland; the pear "gastrique" completely eluded me. The portion was laughably small. All of which made the $12 price tag ridiculous. Next, we had the "caramelized leek and mushroom pâté with pomegranate reduction and crispy fennel salad". The pâté square was about the size of a slab of tofu, tasted okay, nothing special, and the so-called crispy fennel salad didn't seem to be anything more than several pieces of plain shaved fennel casually thrown on top. This plate was $14. Our last dish was the "mushroom 'mussels' served in a flavorful broth and warm bread". This didn't remind me the least bit of mussels so I have no clue why they would put it in the description. The mushrooms were... eh just mushrooms, a little one-note in flavor. The vegan challah bread was not bad dunked in the broth, but wasn't served warm as advertised; it came out cold. They charged $16 for this.

Overall the menu was uncreative; food was mediocre at best; presentation was very basic if not non-existent; portions were terribly paltry. The premium prices they asked were disgusting. That was my main beef. I don't mind dropping serious cash for a quality meal, but this certainly wasn't one of them. The fact that they failed to accomplish something as simple as warming the bread really hinted at the incompetence of the kitchen to deliver anything decent enough to match that price point. I was dumbfounded by the amount of reservations for this special menu they claimed to have, and felt sorry for those who opted to do the full menu.

Cons: grossly overpriced, boring food, meager portions

Excellent food! Great place! - Edit

The food is wonderful. Service speedy and friendly. Very nice inside with interesting art work and a nice bar if you need to wait a few minutes for a table. Good craft beer selection and they have tap take-overs too. I can recommend the Marco plate (only good one I've ever had) and Country Fried Seitan. Nice presentation. One of the nicest veg places I've ever been to. Makes me wish I lived in Denver.

Excellent Food and Service! - Edit

It was very difficult to find a parking location and then the restaurant as they have umbrella's outside with some brand name on them.

The food was wonderful, the atmosphere was nice and the staff was friendly. They served all vegan deserts (and I checked individually on the ingredience)

I highly recommend the place!

Pros: Excellent food, Friendly staff, Nice vibe

Cons: no parking

The best veggie place in Denver - Edit

We have eaten here many times and made it almost through the menu. We are vegan and their meals are original and wonderful. Forget the old deal of tofu by itself. This place has fresh food and the chef is very creative. And best of all - all the deserts are vegan. Like Boston cream pie. Over the top. Howe it to yourself to go here for dinner. Their other place, City o City is also very good - maybe more of a breakfast and lunch place but does do great dinners. It is just that Water Course is so darn good and creative.

Pros: Food, Price and value, Deserts

Great food, casual atmosphere - Edit

I found the selection of vegan choices here really great. The food was served quickly and was really good. I had dinner here one night and came back for breakfast the next day. The servers were all nice and were willing to answer questions. Obviously I would come here again since I already did!

Pros: Great food., Quick service., Friendly staff.

Super happy this place exists - Edit

My husband and I ate here after some of our other Vegan friends recommended it. It was busy but we got seated pretty quickly. The build your own juice is awesome. Our food was excellent. The only criticism would be our waiter. He was was pretty much absent the entire time. He never took our empty juice glasses and when 30 minutes had passed from the time we ordered, I had the hostess go looking for him. He appeared with our food with an excuse of a shift change going on but it didn't seem to be affecting anyone else. Other than that, things were great and we will be back.

Pros: extensive menu, build your own juice, yummy food

Great vegan-friendly restaurant in Denver! - Edit

We love Watercourse - comfortable restaurant that isn't fancy but is nice. They have tons of great vegan options (the restaurant is vegetarian, but anything can be made vegan) and there are always so many hard decisions to make! Great apps and sandwiches, and breakfast is always a great choice. The bakery (located at their sister restaurant City O'City) has all vegan desserts, and everything we've tried has been delicious. Really, this is one of the best vegan places around.

Pros: Vegan, Delicious, Awesome desserts

Great menu, friendly service, and reasonably quiet - Edit

Watercourse is our favorite Denver restaurant. We've eaten here dozens of times over many years, and it keeps getting better, with more creative, gourmet-leaning specials from the very competent chef. Watercourse is extraordinarily vegan-friendly, which we very much appreciate. We also love its sister restaurant, City O City, but Watercourse, being significantly quieter, is a more conducive setting for actually talking over a meal.

Favorites from the Watercourse menu:
- Polenta cakes
- Dona Lee wrap
- Po-Boy sandwich with mushrooms (the artichoke option is also good, but a bit dry)
- Amsterdam hash (great gravy!)
- The vegan milkshakes (huge, so consider sharing one)
- Nearly everything in the dessert case (all of which are vegan!)

The only items we don't particularly enjoy are the Asian-inspired dishes, which are too Americanized for our tastes, though some people seem to like them.

The portions are so generous that we usually wind up taking something home. Consider bringing your own take-out container.

One tip for healthy and happy dining at Watercourse: Many of their main dishes are rich/fried/oily/heavy, so when choosing side dishes, we highly recommend picking the lighter and fresher options, like salad or spring greens, rather than going for the fried sides, which can cause cumulative overwhelm in the gut.

Finally, we also really appreciate that Watercourse supports charitable projects doing good work in the world.

Until Denver gets a proper all-vegan restaurant, Watercourse is likely to remain our first choice.

Enjoy!

Pros: Inspired menu, Extraordinarily vegan-friendly, Good value with huge portions

Cons: Sometimes parking can be a challenge

Yummy! Flavorful! - Edit

My husband and I ate here for the first time about a week and a half ago. We loved the food so much that we are returning today with four family members. The last visit I had the blackened Tofu and my husband had the vegan sausage tacos. We shared the chocolate mousse cake for desert. The blackened tofu was wonderful! The enchiladas could have had a bit more sausage in them but good otherwise. The chocolate mousse cake will be a definite repeat!

Great friendly service, nicely casual atmosphere.

Pros: taste, variety, friendly staff

Cons: skimpy on vegan sausage in enchiladas

A little slice of heaven - Edit

Thank you Happy Cow for making me aware of this amazing place. I went to Denver to visit my sister (who is neither vegetarian nor vegan), and was blown away by the menu. We actually went back the next day to sample some more fare.

The first day we started with the seitan buffalo wings: Winner! My sister had the savory crepe and I had the seitan wrap. We also had one of the juice concoctions and then split the chocolate mousse cake.

The portions are HUGE. A great bang for the buck. We had plenty for our doggy bags.

The next day, we had the hash. I must say I could sit down with a bowl of their gravy and eat just that - it was better than my mother's! We were so full we couldn't even attempt another dessert.

We sat at the bar both days, because the place was packed with a waiting line. We had the same waitress both days. She was so sweet and genuinely enjoyed our enthusiasm. She definitely added to the experience.

This is now my go-to place in Denver. Everything on the menu has a vegan alternative; all the sauces are vegan as well as the desserts. They have in-house vegan artisan cheeses as well.

They knocked this one out of the park!

Pros: Menu options, Taste, Service

Cons: None!

Long wait, Great Food. - Edit

I walked in, just before noon and there were two lines flanking each side of the entryway. I stood around puzzled for a moment and began asking people if they were waiting for a seat. Several told me to go add my name to the list. OK. I approached the hostess stand. Hostess came up, ignored me and addressed the folks standing beside me. OK. A few minutes later, another server walked up to the stand, took a look at the book, took a look around, and right through me, then walked away. Hmmmm? (I know I showered, wore socks? check!) Another few minutes and another person walks up, asks me if I need help, not really, just lunch... she motioned to the counter and said, just have a seat. Ahhh,,,, (I look back at all the folks waiting behind me). Whatever.

At the counter there is a young lady who is working at blinding efficiency. She is making drinks, running appetizers to tables, just really hustling her butt off... and yet I can't help but notice the cluster of other wait-staff hovering around the POS station at the NE corner of the building. At any given time there are 3 or 4 just hanging around there while the girl at the bar/counter is doing four jobs at once. It took a while to get the food order in, yet I cannot possibly blame my server.

Eventually I got the Monti Pasta, which has portobellos and an herb sauce with cheese. That dish was 5-star wonderful. The sauce was amazing and the vegetables as well. All was perfectly prepared, never a thought of reaching for the salt or pepper which is my signal of well prepared food.

On this day, there were some profound service issues, the ONLY reason not to give 5 stars. If this is normally how they operate, I can see it really holding them back. Hopefully it was just an off-day, because the food was super-fantastic. I will try them again next time I come through DEN.

Pros: Sauces, Great Coffee, Menu

Cons: Service was a mess, Odd line-up at entry

So many choices... - Edit

It is so cool to be able to go into a place and pick anything on the menu. I've been a vegetarian since I was about 4 so this hasn't happened many times in my life. The food's very good, very filling. Worth the price since with most anything you get on their menu you will have leftovers.

The Country Fried Seitan was very good, the Rosie Tea was wonderful, and the tomato soup that my mother had was amazing.

I will definitely be back, if only to be able to say I can have anything on the menu I want again. ;)

Pros: Good , filling ood, Lots of choices

Cons: A little expensive

Definitely eat here - Edit

EXCELLENT vegetarian food. Wide variety of proteins in the dishes including tofu, tempeh, seitan, as well as unprocessed options like seeds, nuts and beans. Almost no "fake meat" - the mark of a great vegetarian restaurant in my book. All the dishes sounded delicious, I had a hard time choosing, but I went for the asian salad (called the Rak Kuuzo... or something?). It was fantastic! My salad had oranges, beets, carrots, edamame, sesame seeds, tamari cashews, and some sort of delectable sweet, tangy dressing. The salad came with arugula, which I substituted with spring greens. This place is very accomodating for substitutions, and is able to answer detailed questions about what they are serving you, how it is prepared, and where it came from.

Amazing for breakfast and dinner - Edit

What can I say that hasn't been said already? This place is vegan heaven that didn't put a step wrong during my visit. I made it to Denver to visit family recently and rushed to Watercourse for dinner. The Buffalo Seitan wings were unbelievable, one of the best vegan appetizers I've ever had. Do not miss!!! My meal was great too. The homemade veggie burger was very special, as were the great side of beer-battered onion rings. Indeed, just reading the menu is enough to make me want to cry with joy. Dessert was sublime, with a German Chocolate cake with raspberry topping. As good as it sounds. Enjoyed it so much, I rushed back for breakfast before leaving Denver the next day. Had an amazing gravy with biscuits scrambled tofu that hit the spot perfectly. Only tiny tiny quibble was some below par coffee, but honestly, you cannot go wrong here. Biggest downside is figuring out which of the amazing dishes to have.... They really need a "six cow" category for this place.

Pros: Everything

Cons: Nothing

Great sandwiches and beer! - Edit

I've been reading about Watercourse Foods on blogs of adventurous vegans all over who have raved about the food and beer. We were on a road trip and it was heavily raining when we made it to Denver. I fired up my Happycow App and recognized Watercourse and we made a B-line for the restaurant. They have a really great set up with a wonderful selection of beers. There is a nice area of outdoor seating and they were very welcoming. Unfortunately, we arrived at the tail end of a beer tasting so most of the beer was gone. We were able to work with our waiter to select healthy vegan items from the menu. He was very knowledgeable and conferred with the kitchen on ingredients and preparation to our restrictive oil-free vegan requirements. We settled on the Grinder and Pinto Veggie burger and steamed veggies and salad for sides. Though our order was a little mixed up, it was all to our satisfaction. Watercourse definitely lives up to the veg landmark status it's earned in the Denver area.

Pros: beer, atmosphere, grinder

One of the Best Places in the Denver/Boulder Area - Edit

While not technically a full vegan establishment, nearly everything on the menu can be made vegan. I had the Buffalo Tofu on our fist visit there, with seasonal vegetables and fries as a side, and the sandwich was just prepared just about perfect, although the sauce was a bit tangier than I remembered. Second visit I opted for a Po'Boy, made with a polenta crusted portobello, which again, was quite good, although the bun started to break apart towards the end of the meal. The wait staff was extremely prompt and helpful. I've got nothing bad to say about this place overall. Their sandwiches (and breakfast meals- my wife greatly enjoyed her scramble as well) put many other full vegan restaurants to shame. I'd go back.

Pros: Good Food, Many Vegan Options, Open for Breakfast

Cons: Little Pricey, Not Fully Vegan

Great food, but avoid the country gravy - Edit

I visited Watercourse on Labor Day weekend and had two meals there, one at the restaurant and the other was take out.

Since I was by myself, I was given the option to sit at the bar or a table. I chose the bar. The service isn't attentive. It's pretty lackadaisical. Once I understood that, the service didn't bug me so much. Too bad it's not set up so certain things are self serve, like drinks and such.

I ordered the buffalo wings, onion rings and the chocolate shake. I'd read the portions were huge, but I still didn't expect it.
With the rings, I think they took half an onion, breaded it and fried it. Unfortunately, they were also pretty greasy. With the ketchup, it wasn't such a big deal. But when I ran out of the small portion of ketchup, I had to use the included ranch (which was vegan, cool). At first, I was excited because I had memories when I was like Homer Simpson and ate ranch on almost every savory food I consumed. Eventually, I realized that ranch and greasy foods may not have been an awesome combination like I remembered 10-15 years ago. So I ended up taking the onion out of the coating and eating them with the ranch. That worked better, but it probably looked really stupid.
When they serve you the shake, you receive a glass with a straw and spoon. Then you're given the metal shaker full of shake. It turns out this shaker holds 2-3 glasses worth of shake. If you're with a friend, see if you can get another glass and share. It's yummy and not too far off my memories of having a shake. Probably an omni might beg to differ, but if you're lactose intolerant like me, this is much better.
The portion of buffalo wings was also huge. At this point, I was getting close to being full by the rings and chocolate shake that I had been consuming. I had a couple of pieces with ranch before I raised the flag and asked the waitress for a container. The sauce they use for this rectangular wonders tastes so much like I remember buffalo sauce tasting like. It was properly spicy and had that ratio of necessary greasiness. I would've been suspicious if it weren't for the non conforming shapes of the seitan itself.

For the to go order, I got the chicken fried seitan with mashed potatoes. I asked if I could sub the mixed vegetables with something else, like steamed chard. They didn't have chard, but they had kale. The gravy on top of the seitan and mashed potatoes? Blech. It was sugary. Take the sensible precaution and get the gravy on the side.

Pros: Tasty food, Big portions

Cons: Sugary gravy, Meh service

if marrying a restaurant were possible... - Edit

...i would gladly walk down the aisle with Watercourse! I would have its babies. I live 60 miles away from Denver and have been known to make the 2 hour round trip just to visit Watercourse. Watercourse is the BEST! the breakfast items are great, the burritos are huge, the sandwiches are awesome, entrees are great, i have never been disappointed by the specials, and i would wash my hair with the gravy...oh, and don't get me started on the onion rings. i could wax rhapsodic for another 3000 characters on those. my only complaint is that they don't serve the onion rings for breakfast! every bite of food has been outstanding, all of the bakery items are spectacular and the milkshakes are heavenly. this is a MUST for anyone, not just vegans and vegetarians. as for veg folks, you can feel safe and secure that Watercourse knows and loves you and is great at making food the way you want it. everyone, GO to Watercourse NOW! **putting shoes on and grabbing car keys now :-)**

Pros: excellent food, friendly and knowledgable staff, conscious cuisine

Cons: can get busy, staff can get sidetracked

Ok. So... - Edit

I love Watercourse. Besides City O' City, this is the only place in Denver that I can visit and get anything on the menu. The food is good, the portions are huge. I recommend anything with seitan. They do it right. I like going early in the morning to avoid their huge crowds.. Unfortunately, though, the service is pretty bad, even when it isn't busy.

Pros: great food, big portions

Cons: sub-par service

Love. - Edit

This place is the best. Everything can be made vegan and everything is delicious. Vegan chocolate shakes, vegan nachos, vegan love all around. And great for omnivores as well. My husband is obsessed with the grinder sandwich. Sriram and delicious. Go here now.

Pros: Affordable, Quality, Options

Cons: Service can be dicey

Veggie Heaven - Edit

I only had one day in Denver so I Goggle'd Veggie restaurants and this one came up first and most often. Lucky really as I had a great meal there, Stir Fry Thai curry with brown rice, and the staff were friendly and attentive. This place has an all veggie menu, which I generally prefer. Good, comfortable place to go with great food. Definitely recommended.

Pros: Excellent choices, Good quality, great atmoshere

amazing, amazing and delicious! - Edit

Once you go there, you will definitely come back for more!

Pros: Wide range of choices, vegan and vegetarian, nice artwork and ambience in general

Cons: judgemental waiters...

Delightful - Edit

We stopped here after flying into Denver on our way up to ski...it was so good we stopped by again on our way out of town!!! My husband is an omni and he loved everything he had. The first trip I had the artichoke poboy with the soup of the day which was an amazing mushroom bisque and the daily quinoa salad and he had Juan wrap with greens and mashed potatoes. We were stuffed! We couldn't resist getting a shake to go...it was so delicious! Our server was really nice...we did have to wait just a bit for our table..a busy Sunday... wait IS worth it. the following Saturday we returned...slightly less wait..still worth the wait. We had the seitan wings and I had the Cuban sandwich and hubby had the grinder and we split some onion rings. We got a ho ho cupcake to go and as I sit in the Denver airport typing this review we are enjoying the chocolatey goodness!!! Watercourse will become a routine stop for us for sure

Pros: Great selection, Delicious

Great selection of vegan food and all of it great! - Edit

One of my personal favorites. I used to go to Denver twice a year for medical purposes. I rented a car each time just so I could go to Watercourse a couple time in the 2 days I was there.

They server a great mix of foods including some of the old comfort foods like chicken fried steak with mashed potatoes. You cannot miss the chicken wings. They even come with ranch sauce. They even have a great selection of vegan desserts.

The only down side is that they get really crowded and you have to wait in a tiny entry way.

Pros: Great Food, Great Desserts, Happening Place

Cons: Crowded

Good Find While in Denver! - Edit

In Denver on business for the week, I stopped by Watercourse Foods. I had the seitan buffalo wings and tempeh scaloppini, both were delicious! The tempeh scaloppini was crunchy and hearty and the wings were pleasantly spicy and as close to the real thing as I can remember. It was nice to have vegan ranch with the wings as well. Reasonably priced and big portions - I had to get a doggie bag. The staff wasn't very attentive, but I did sit at the counter verses a table, so I was being served by the bartender. But let's face it, you don't really expect world class service at a place run by hippies and hipsters... Everyone was friendly, just not super attentive. ...I mean, define job...it's really a community effort and I do what I can..... Haha! Anyway, if you are in town it is definitely worth a visit.

one of my favorite restaurants - Edit

I live in Boulder, about 30-45 minutes away, and on a handful of occasions I've driven down to Denver just to eat at this place. It definitely beats the hell out of anything up here. I think their seitan must be homemade, because it's better than any I've tried anywhere else. You can get it smothered in buffalo wing sauce with vegan ranch for an appetizer, or my personal favorite main course of the seitan fajitas. Absolutely out of this world.

I've been told by the staff that everything on the menu is vegan unless it specifically mentions eggs or cheese. This means that (I believe, don't quote me on this) every single side dish, soup, salad, and dessert is vegan. Most, if not alll of the non-vegan entrees can also be made vegan, usually just by requesting it without cheese. Breakfast food is usually not particularly exciting for a vegan, but they do vegan french toast, pancakes, and even a really delicious tofu scramble. In a nutshell, everything I've ever eaten here is delicious. There was one time I had a server who was kind of slow and seemed a bit off his game (I think he was new) but besides that the service has always been amazing. If you're vegetarian or vegan, and could only try one restaurant on your trip to Colorado, this is the one.

Pros: mostly vegan, best seitan ever, super friendly staff

Cons: not close enough to my house

2 Responses

Wish I lived near this place - Edit

Found this place on a roadtrip across the country. It was absolutely the best place we ate. The food was outstanding. The desserts were amazing. The milkshakes were beyond delicious and the service was great and the atmosphere lovely as well. I could go on and on about how good this place was but it doesn't seem necessary.

Go there, order anything, it will be amazing.

Pros: awesome food, beautiful atmosphere, good service

Deliciousness!!!! - Edit

Watercourse was recommended to me by a friend, so I went to Denver with the intent to visit. I ordered the raspberry vegan milkshake (which was AMAZING!!!) and the Roasted Vegetable Bruschetta , which was quite tasty, but even more so when I heated the toast later (I was too full from the shake to eat it all then). I've seen the horror stories about the service, and I am SO thankful that I didn't have the same fate. Our waitress was a sweetheart. I went back later that day to order the Country Fried Seitan, chocolate pie & apple pie a la mode to go. The Country Fried Seitan was SO good! It was served with golden mashed potatoes & a flavorful gravy, and I asked for steamed chard. The apple pie was big and overflowing with fresh apples. Not very sweet, so those who complain about desserts being too sweet would LOVE it. The chocolate pie was so freggin good that I was licking the spoon! And the vegan ice cream was so very beyond amazable that I had to call them back to double-check its veganess! I was advised that it comes from a local ice creamery, Sweet Action. It was THE.BEST.VEGAN.ICE.CREAM.EVER!

Pros: BEST vegan milkshakes & ice cream, versatile vegan menu options

A Denver Must! - Edit

Watercourse was one of my favorite places with vegan options in Denver. It was also well received by the three omnivores that ate there with me. The vegan milkshake was excellent and the grinder (veganized - but they don't have vegan cheese) was amazing. My bf got the vegan chicken wings and said that he liked them better than most real chicken wings he's had. Overall we loved this place, don't miss it!

Everything - Edit

We stayed in Denver for a few days and we practically lived at this place. It has breakfast, lunch, and dinner. There was no need to go anywhere else! It was an easy walk from our hotel and the convention center. It is a large restaurant with a huge menu. This is the best dining experience we have ever had. We even got a T-shirt!

Pros: Location, Food, Variety

Watercourse, Denver - Edit

Amazing vegan comfort food. Huge portions, friendly, helpful staff, buzzy environment. I had the maximus burger, vegan chocolate cake and vegan milkshakes on my various visits, and they were all amazing. The food comes very quickly, service is swift and they always bring a bottle of water to the table. The place gets very busy so be sure to book, unless by yourself. The waiting system is a little confusing if you just turn up, and there can be a bit of a scramble for seats at the bar. But brilliant veggie restaurant, one of the best in the world I've been to.

a ton of food - Edit

Visited here while on a trip for a conference in Denver and it was awesome. Atmosphere is laid back and bohemian. Cool animal folklorish murals on the walls. If you don't have numerous large tattoos, you'll feel left out.

We had hot wings for appetizers, southern fried steak and a jamaican tofu. The wings were great and they've gave you an amazing amount. Actually all of the dishes were really large and more than we could eat. Numerous vegan options. This is a favorite of ours, and although I don't know when we'll be in Denver again, if we're anywhere near, we'll be paying multiple trips to this place.

Pros: large portions

Oh Watercourse, how do I love thee... - Edit

My Fiance and I make an annual trip to Colorado to visit friends and do some backpacking. Watercourse Foods is ALWAYS a planned destination on our trips. We will go there at least 3 times, once for each meal of the day, and rack up a hefty bill in the process only because it is all so good we can't help ourselves but load up on food! We are vegans, and though Watercourse isn't 100% vegan everything on their menu can be ordered vegan so you really don't have any limitations there, and the breadth of their menu is quite impressive! I have never had anything there I didn't like. The Buffalo Setian wings are melt in your mouth delicious! The sweet potato homefries with green olives on the Mediterranean blue plate special are splendiferous and compliment the taste of their biscuits well. The smoothies are great - rich, creamy and delicious with lots of flavor! Don't even get me started on the desserts, which are always vegan all of the time! *drool* Let them know if you are gluten free or have other allergy concerns because they're very accommodating for that as well! I can't say enough good things about the place and clearly Denver citizens agree because every time of day I've been in there the place was always bustlingly busy. I've always had quick, friendly, good service too. The only complaint I have is that this past fall when visiting I was so looking forward to getting their Thai Iced tea again, made vegan, because it was sooooooooooo good! For some reason they discontinued it - probably because making vegan condensed sweet milk for it isn't exactly an easy thing to do I imagine. But gosh darn that was a good drink! The bottom line though is if you are Veg and passing through Denver, do not miss this one!

Pros: awesome food, quick service, large menu

Cons: no more vegan thai tea, wait on table during dinner rush, not 100% vegan

Vegetarian Comfort Food, as Promised - Edit

During a short stay in Denver, a friend of mine and I decided to see if Watercourse Foods, which we'd heard a lot of good things about, would live up to its reputation. Let me say that over the course of a month-long roadtrip it stood out as one of the, if not culinary highlights, restaurant-based highlights.

As an appetizer my friend ordered a bunch of Seitan Buffalo Wings. As a former die-hard fan of buffalo wings he absolutely loved them - though only managed to finish about half of the rather large portion.

Their drink menu, it should be mentioned, offers a pretty nice selection of wines and beers, at least for two Canadians from Quebec.

As an entrée I had the Monti Pasta with added seitan. Generally, it could have been a little bit more flavourful ut I enjoyed it none the less. My friend had what they call the "Grinder" sandwich. Again, he could only finish half. We noticed that most customers were bringing home the remainders of Watercourse's sizable portions.

For desert I had a slice of vegan carrot cake. Out of this world, let me tell you. The cost is a bit much but it's just a number on a bill; the taste in your mouth more than makes up for it.

I must also add that our server was a really helpful and charming guy; had a really cool mustache as well. The cafe-type atmosphere suited it well and there was an overall welcoming felling that the staff and other patrons gave off. A very enjoyable time.

Pros: Atmosphere, Menu

Slightly Addictive! - Edit

I am slightly addicted to their seitan buffalo wings. As a vegan, they're always willing to accomodate- replace cheese, etc. I have not had everything on the menu, but most things I've had were fantastic.

Pros: great choices, great flavor, vegan desserts!

Cons: sometimes crowded (of course!), parking can be an issue

Healthy, delicious, reasonably priced - Edit

We had the blackened tofu wrap and the portabello reuben. Both were delicious, and the servings were large. I could easily have taken half home for another meal. The entree came with two sides; we tried sweet potatoes, coleslaw, quinoa salad, and mashed potatoes. The mashed potatoes were delicious! The sweet potatoes were fried and were ok. The quinoa salad had corn, black beans and spices and was ok. The walls are covered with rabbits and other animal cartoons. There is a mini bakery selection at the front counter. Friendly wait staff.

Pros: Food variety, Prices, Large portions

YUMMMMY!!! :) - Edit

I've lived in Denver for the past few years and have had the pleasure of eating here many many times! It's DELICIOUS!!! I absolutely recommend it to anyone - vegetarian, vegan or otherwise! My meat-eating family is visiting from NY and we're headed there tonight- after looking at the menu online, they are even excited YIPPY! Their vegan bakery also makes the BEST peanut butter cookies EVER!!! Grab one to go if you're too full! ENJOY!

Pros: Buffalo Tofu Sandwich, Peanut Butter Cookies, Tomato Coconut Curry Soup

LOVED IT! - Edit

As a vegan I have found some vegetarian restaurants to be difficult but Watercourse is excellent. They have a wide selection of vegan options and are very helpful.

It was very crowded and busy but the service was great, the food was absolutely fabulous and my kids even enjoyed it too. A lot of veg restaurants are in some scary locations but this place is in a great location, has a great atmosphere and the service is great.

We really enjoyed it and plan to visit again if we are ever in Denver. I would recommend eating a little earlier than you might normally eat because this place gets really busy and you may have to wait for a table but it is definitely worth the wait!!!

Best Food I have ever had in my life!!! - Edit

This was the best food I have ever had in my life!!!! I went for V-day and they had a four course meal. It was so good my husband and I were speechless. All the flavors burst in your mouth. It was a perfect location, setting, decorations and food. I will always go there when I am in Denver. I think that everyone needs to make a trip to this resturant in their lifetime. Everyone was friendly. We even talked to the chef.

Pros: Healthy, Excellent Food, Friendly Staff

Great Breakfast - Edit

I went with a friend for breakfast and there were so many vegan options, I was totally overwhelmed. I will agree with the other reviews, this place is definitely hipster--but I like it that way. I didn't have any problems with the waitstaff in the least. Our waiter actually stopped and made small talk with us. Also, I will contend: the vegan gravy is amazing.

Pros: Variety, Lots of Vegan options

Good food, big portions - Edit

We had breakfast here twice while on vacation in May 2008. We were happy we found the place (the restaurant was actually a little hard to see among the construction on the building), because the food was great and the portions were huge. It was busy and there was a line, but not any longer than what we're used to (in Portland). The service was fine during our first trip, but the second time we had a very nice server that made our final morning in Denver a real pleasure.

Pros: many choices, big portions, yummy

Cons: usually crowded, a bit pricey

Legit - Edit

A buddy of mine and I ate here when I was in Denver on business earlier this year. I must say, it was a pleasure! We started off with the buffalo wings which were delicious. Both of our meals were tasty and vegan. I can't wait to return. The wait staff was nice enough and the atmosphere was pleasant as well. I back it.

Pros: Great food!, Location.

Cons: Borderline expensive.

One of my favs - Edit

I have been here several times when I come through Denver. I guess I have never been in on the "off times" that some others have experienced. My food has always been great along with the service. **Note** I am not a 20 something hipster** My absolute fav is the chicken fried seitan. Ugh....something I miss from my meat eating days. It's a lot of food so be hungry if you order this. The breakfasts are great and lots of options. Yummy soy lattes too!

Pros: tasty goods, lots of options

YUMMMMMMMMMM - Edit

My husband and I really enjoyed our dinner at Watercourse. The staff was friendly and really helpful. Our food was great and it was a nice walk from the pedestrian mall area in Denver. Get there early because they seem to stay busy.

Pros: food excellent, nice people, nice area

updated review; not in my faves - Edit

Used to be in my top ten, but the past few visits no longer that high recommendation. Recently, I have found that the quality has dipped a bit, the waitstaff gave a vegan real cheese, and after eating here, it has not treated my belly so kindly. I used to feel healthy and light, like I made a wise decision. However, it has been less kind and less wise, heavy and burdensome feeling.

It is still the best place in Denver, but I think it has come down to the level of competition regionally. They are not giving the elite dining experience they once served. Dont get me wrong, before they moved I did think they were inconsistent, but there were peaks with those valleys. The valleys seem to have gotten lower since the aftershocks are painful (catch my drift).

I still suggest this place to those passing through. The quality may bounce back once in a while. The shakes are divine.

Pros: shakes , most times food

Cons: some staff, INCONSISTENT, belly troubles

mmm - Edit

I've traveled (and eaten) extensively, and this is hands-down the best vegan food I've ever had. Do what you have to do to eat at this place.

Pros: the food, cute servers, beer!

Cons: stupid name

BEST Restaurant between LA and Pittsburgh! - Edit

Took a roadtrip from LA to Pennsylvania, and this is the best vegetarian restaurant I have ever been to, not only on this trip. Try the gravy...it'll make you truly happy!

Pros: Gravy, Pastries, nice staff

Good but very expensive - Edit

The food is really good, and they have alot of vegan options. Especially the salad dressings. BUT everything is really expensive. Its over $9 for a sandwich and side!

Pros: vegan options, flavorful, desserts

Cons: expensive

Amazing Food - Edit

Just went tonight and the food was amazing! Everything can be made vegan and the wait staff is friendly and knowledgeable. A must if you live, work, or visit Denver.

Pros: Food, Price, Selection

Our Favorite Veggie Restaurant - Edit

My wife and I live near Atlanta Georgia, and we have sampled vegetarian restaurants in many locations. This is bar none, our favorite place. We rave about it all the time. I have been to Denver several times, and this is definitely among the high points. My wife was recently in Denver for a conference, and she managed to eat at Watercourse 3 or 4 times. After a hardy meal, I usually pass on desert. Not here!

Pros: Taste, Portion size, Price

Cons: Wait times for brunch

This is the best Vegan restaurant BAR NONE! - Edit

This place is awesome. After going there the first time on a business trip, I have gone every time since. It is always amazing and everything i have had has been unbeleivably tasty and beautifully presented. Take a non-vegetarian and let them be astounded at how good it can be. One of the most outstanding things to me is that this place actually has a lot of HEALTHY vegetarian food. Most veg food at restaurants is overprocessed and dead. Finding a place with great tasting live food and enough raw to make a difference, i am just blown away. Keep it up! You rock!

Pros: Live, Raw Food, VERY tasty, Nice Presentation

Cons: Only one restaurant

some of the best food I have ever had - Edit

This is one of the best vegan restaurants I have ever been to, and I have been to a lot worldwide. It has a wide selection of food, everything, and everything that I have had is orgasmic. Try the Donna Lee for lunch and the biscuits and gravey/Amsterdam Hash for breakfast. The boston cream pie is excellent for dessert!

Pros: the best, excellent food, huge proportions

Wonderful!! - Edit

My family went to eat here on the way to Seattle. The sampler appetizer with hummus, pesto dip and something else with mushroom (i think) was amazing! And all vegan - I could even give it to my baby without worrying it had dairy. I had the smothered fried "chicken.." with mashed potatoes and peas/corn medley. The "chicken" had the tangiest, crunchiest coating that resurrected tastebuds that had been asleep since my KFC days in the 1970's and 80's...It was so good that when we came back around on the way back home, my son and husband had to order it. The mashed potatoes were a little on the plain side (I can make better at home) and the desserts were very good but too sweet the first time, then too mild on second visit. Both times I had the chocolate mousse pie. Prices are not cheap. Both times we spent more than $50 for a family of four and a baby. The somewhat aloof staff (like at many veg restaurants for some reason?) warmed up when they dealt with you at the table. Nice location. In general, a wonderful experience. Would go again to try out the many other things they offer.

Pros: good food, nice atmosphere

Cons: noisy

Great Food and Super Service! - Edit

I just took my mom to Watercourse for a birthday lunch before a show. Yes, we waited a bit but it was Sunday @ noon (brunch time!) and the wait was still only 20 minutes. Once we were seated our order was taken promptly by a beautiful girl with tatoos (I'm sorry that I didn't get her name!) and the most AMAZING smile! My mom and I were a little nervous about the time because of the show we were going to but no worries necessary as our food was fairly promptly delivered. I had the Macro Plate and could only eat half and Mom had the Juan Wrap and, again, could only eat half - they both were so filling! Mom said her wrap was awesome and even better the next day for lunch and my teen-age daughter DEVOURED the remnants of my lunch the next day. I will definitley be back with the rest of my family again and again I'm sure. One more thing, the service was outstanding, our ice tea and water never reached the "half full" mark!

Pros: super food, outstanding service

Cons: very, very hot inside, not enough space to wait

Yum - Edit

My mom and I ate at Watercourse tonight. The food was hit & miss. Our appetizer, the Sampler Platter was okay. The hummus, tapenade. and pita were good, but the pestos had a strange texture, and were lacking in salt. My mom chose the blackened tempeh burger with quinoa salad and mixed vegetables. WARNING: the mixed veg is that school cafeteria standby of frozen peas, carrots, and corn. ?! But the burger was awesome and the quinoa was tasty. Pick a different side item. I had the portobello cap. The mushroom itself (polenta crusted with chipotle aioli) was excellent. The grilled carrots, refried beans, and pico de gallo were decent. However the brown rice was not fresh, and the guacamole was very blah. You can get the same portobello as a sandwich, so I would suggest that. I left most of the sides on my plate. We took our desserts home--the chocolate cake and the key lime pie--both of which are wonderful. My mom couldn't believe the cake was vegan. My gripe about the key lime pie is that it has coconut on top and more of a cheesecake texture. As a former aficionado of the dessert from living in Florida, this bothered me more than it should, since it tasted great anyway! My mom also loved her hibiscus tea. It all came to $50 after the tip. Not expensive for all we had. The staff all seemed normal and down to earth, no snooty behavior--just friendly service. Wait times for food was a bit long, but it was pretty busy. 3 1/2 cows

Pros: All vegan dessert tray!, Lots of variety, Good value

Cons: hit or miss on the sides, don't expect a quick meal, frozen veg medley!

Awesome! - Edit

this place rocks. i don;t live in denver so i don't have the pleasure of dining here consistently, but the times i have been here, i have not been disappointed. as far as some people's complaints about the service - i've never had a problem. as far as prices, they are very reasonable! they have huge entrees for $10 - including protein, starch and vegetable. the assortment of food is fantastic, as well. everything can be made vegan. try the buffalo seitan "wings" - yowza!

Pros: tasty food, large portions, complete meals

Cons: no parking

Answer to my vege prayers - Edit

While on a road trip, around the west, this was the best vegetarian we found. The food is exquisite. the tastes are unique and wonderful. the service waits on you hand and foot, and it has a great relaxed cafe atmosphere. DO NOT MISS THE SESAME SEITAN!
Five stars out of five!

Pros: food, service, atmosphere

Cons: addictive

Return to Denver Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Watercourse Foods closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 18150 times since Aug 2007.