be love

Contact 778-433-7181

1019 Blanshard St, Victoria, British Columbia, Canada, V8W 2H4

Opened Oct 2013, this vegetarian restaurant provides organic cuisine without wheat, gluten, dairy, additive or processed sugar. Offers a varied menu with both cooked as well raw food, fresh juices and exilirs. Vegan except for honey, pollen, egg. Simple, modern interior. Mon-Sun 8:00am-9:30pm

Category: Vegan-friendly, Ovo, American, Organic, Raw, Western, Juice bar, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Canadian

First Review by jacr

Soothing atmosphere - Edit

I checked this place out on a holiday because a lot of other places were closed. I enjoyed my experience here. The food is mostly raw and I knew that going in. I decided to be adventurous and ordered a sandwich on dehydrated bread and a turmeric latte with almond milk. I loved both. I was a bit sad that the I had to ask for the latte without honey as it seems to be their sweetener of choice. They did bring me raw cane sugar though. I found the portion size adequate, but was still hungry later.

Pros: Neat selections, Healthy

Cons: Honey in things

Incredible vegan food - Edit

I visited Victoria in June for a little vacation, and be love was located near where I was staying. It was so good that I ended up going twice! The first time I went for a little snack, and had the "breads and spreads". It was such a yummy little appetizer, with raw nut breads, cashew cheese, and assorted crunchy shredded vegetables. The staff were really helpful in helping me to pick out a good snack item that wasn't too large!
The second time I went for drinks and dessert. Had a really good piece of chocolate salmonberry cake, I wish I could have tried a few more of the desserts.
Next time I'm in Victoria, I would definitely return to be love!

Very satisfied - Edit

Pretty hardcore, plant based, lotsa raw stuff.
Better tasting then most places like it.
Tried different sandwiches, kabocha, and raw BLT (zucchini bacon, dehydrated) sprouts tomato, both xlnt. Great pesto linguini.
Salads, good. Soups, good also.
Also, killer deserts. Coconut ice cream thing my wife had. Really good, good presentation. Also had decent wine, beer and two single malt scotches.
Yeah it wasn't cheap, worth it for me.
Liked this place a lot, servers great each time.

Pros: Good, Great, Vegan

Cons: Be better if it was free...., And they delivered, Or worked for free at my house

Delicous! - Edit

Had an amazing dinner at Be Love with three omni friends. They loved it too. Had the gracias bowl and shared a side of tempeh. Really great tempeh! The kombucha whiskey sour was SO good. Dessert was blissful.
Great place, highly recommend it.

Delicious! - Edit

Stopped in for breakfast before taking a tour to Vancouver.

Staff was very very friendly. Prices were reasonable for how well made the food is.

Had a couple things on the menu, both were absolutely fantastic. Lattes were just "ok", well made... but not much flavor.

Bought a couple of the baked goods, which were also just delicious.

Worth the walk for the food though, really was very very good.

Pros: Great food, Friendly staff, Good location

Cons: Lattes were bland.

An absolutely awesome place! - Edit

I love absolutely everything about this place. The staff are warm and welcoming. The food is clearly made with the biggest heart full of love.
I felt totally spoiled for choice with the menu absolutely brimming with vegan, wheatfree, glutenfree, raw cuisine, juices, smoothies and the most decadent desserts.
We enjoyed several things off the menu and wow... everything was amazing!

Pros: Absolutely delicious, Super friendly staff, So much choice

Inconsistent - Edit

The first time I went to be love I absolutely loved it. I had a seasonal pasta dish that was fantastic and probably the best meal I've ever had in Victoria. The only bad part of the experience was that they have the tables packed so closely together that because the restaurant was full my husband (a bigger guy but not huge!) couldn't get to the bathroom.

I wasn't able to get back again for a while, but my husband and I finally went again last summer. Our appetizer was great, but my entree (a green curry) was bland. I was so disappointed after my first experience. My curry had very little flavour aside from being spicy. The cheesecake for dessert was great, though, so I was happy with 2/3 of what I ate. Another bad thing about that visit was that the service was awful. For most of the time we were there we were the only customers, yet somehow none of the multiple employees milling around could get around to serving us. It took a long time to get anything done, from having our orders taken to dishes taken away. It's frustrating enough when a restaurant is busy, but at least then we'd have understood. There's no excuse for bad service when the place is near empty.

I tried going a third time a month ago and didn't even stay. I was waiting for a friend and was seated at a table for two, and the place was full and the tables were so close together that I felt like I was seated with the couples on either side of me. I could tell the other people were uncomfortable with the close proximity as well because they all stopped talking to each other as soon as I sat down. It's bad enough being that close to strangers when everyone is busy with their own conversations, but I'm sure both couples thought I had nothing better to do than eavesdrop. When my friend arrived we decided the food wasn't worth crappy seating arrangements and went down the road the the Pink Bicycle where the tables were appropriately spaced.

As a side note, when this restaurant opened they were vegan except for bee products, like their sister restaurant, Cafe Bliss, but now they've added eggs to their menu.

Pros: When it's good, it's fantastic, Good menu, Different than anything else in Victoria

Cons: Tables way too close together, Food is inconsistent, Service isn't great

Amazing! - Edit

We went with friends in June 2014. Amazing flavour combos, fresh well prepared food. The Carmanah bowl sounds like an odd combo, but is so delish that I try and reproduce it at home (with out perfect sucess)almost daily. the service was friendly and just the right amount of attentiveness. The tables are super close - but them this is a small town and we ended up sitting next to people our friends knew. I love this place. Prices are similar to what I would expect for fresh, local, organic vegan food. Nice mix of raw and cooked options.

Pros: fresh, local, healthy, good downtown location, good service

Cons: tables are close together

New almost-vegan eatery - Edit

Heard about this new almost-vegan, some-raw restaurant (thanks, Sarah K.) and was thrilled to have another veg'n option in Victoria. The menu is good: I love being able to order anything on the menu. Wish they didn't use honey, so they could claim to be all-vegan. But they are very willing to substitute and re-arrange various meals. They're not licensed yet for alcohol - maybe in about a month's time. Some of the tables are too close together. It was full on the Saturday 5:30-6:45 pm when we were there. Pleasant service. I definitely want to go again soon to try more of the menu items and delicious-looking desserts. This time I had the macrobiotic bowl, which was satisfying and tasty. I had some of my friend's garlic roasted baby potatoes with miso gravy, and they were scrumptious. Next day I dropped in and had a "Shanti" green juice, $8 for 16 oz. glass, with cucumber, pear, mint and lime. Juices range from $7.50 to $12. Other things that sound good: Bliss Salad ($12), soup of the day ($5 or $9), Earth Sea Salad ($14), Enchiladas ($16), wild mushroom fettucine ($17), Love hot chocolate with almond or hazelnut mylk, lavender lemonade, etc. Looking forward to my next meal there this weekend.

Pros: tasty, healthy food, mostly vegan

Cons: tables too close together

Exactly what Victoria needed! - Edit

A warm, simple atmosphere. The owners have done an absolutely beautiful renovation on this space.

We enjoyed a breakfast there on their opening weekend. 2 raw breakfast sandwiches, 2 chais and 2 truffles ran us $30 with tip - but more important than the price was the quality of the food that we were served - which was outstanding. The fruit and vegetables on our sandwich were incredibly fresh, and the unique structure of the breakfast sandwich complimented the ingredients really well.

The components of our meal that contained honey were offered to us without, if we preferred. This was a nice gesture.

Victoria needed a place downtown where vegans could enjoy a full menu of options, instead of having to settle for the one or two vegan items you may be lucky to see elsewhere.

The price is listed as 'expensive' in the description here. While it is not INexpensive, I wouldn't really say that the prices are high for the quality and amount of food that you get. For most people, it may not be a place they can enjoy on a daily basis, but it seems on par with most of the other "nice" dinner joints in downtown Victoria. Their menu also features a Love Bowl, which has a suggested value of $8, but states that no one will be turned away, as the owners are trying to make healthy food accessible to everyone. Also, such great raw options!

The service was a little shaky, but not at all lacking. Our server seemed a little inexperienced, but not in any way that made our experience less enjoyable. With a little more experience, I am sure it will smooth out. The speed of food and drink to our table was very good.

Great job, Be Love. Looking forward to many a lovely meal with you.

Pros: Extensive Menu, Quality Ingredients, Welcoming Atmoshpere

Return to Victoria Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has be love closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 5106 times since Oct 2013.