Basil Pizza

Contact 02-95194880

126 King St, Newtown, New South Wales, 2042

Serves meat, vegan options available. By night, this establishment is a pizza place; has vegan pizzas with vegan crust, vegan cheese and faux pepperoni. Also has gluten free base. By day, it's the Naked Espresso veg cafe. Mon-Sun 5:00pm-10:00pm

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Pizza, Italian, Western, Non-veg

First Review by Sonja and Dirk

Good if you want a grease and oil change - Edit

I ordered the vegan Margarita with vegan cheese and I was very surprised. I'm by no means the healthiest of vegans but that pizza was something else. My mother (who ordered meat pizzas with my father) is very sensitive to MSG had a flare up and the pizza didn't taste all that good (I'm being nice here) especially for the price. I don't know what they cook the pizzas in but they were soggy. The space wasn't set out very well either and the cups given to drink from were dirty.
Overall, wouldn't come again - you're honestly way better ordering the vegorama with no cheese from dominoes which is cheaper, better and worth your time and money.

Pros: The staff seemed nice, A convenient location on King st, does takeout

Cons: soggy pizza, dirty cups , heavy grease and MSG, steep price for low quality

Well I like it! - Edit

I have always enjoyed going to Basil's and am a bit bummed to read the negative reviews! However, thankfully I haven't experienced anything unsatisfactory here! I find the staff enjoyable and friendly and am always keen for the Vegan Lovers pizza (the only Vegan pizza with NO mock meat).
Yes I agree the pizzas are a little expensive (approx $22 for Medium size) and certainly greasy but let's be real, I am generally not out to BUY a pizza that has much of an apparent nutrional factor!
I love Basil's it's a great once in a while treat for me :)

Pros: Vegan options, Vegan cakes (carrot cake yum)

Cons: A little expensive, Not a great atmosphere

Angry owner, extremely greasy pizza. - Edit

Basil's used to be a pretty good vegan pizza option, but after seeing them handle the vegan 'meat' right after handling the actual meat without washing hands on multiple occasions and making zero effort to avoid cross contamination, along with the owner having major anger management issues (we saw him drop a beer re-stocking the fridge and he proceeded to kick glass across the restaurant along with other rude/aggressive things) and my mother and partner have both been sick after eating here more than once.

Also they've recently changed mock meats used for the pepperoni and it's really not nice at all. I'd say we've said our final goodbye to Basil's.

Pros: more than a few vegan options , Ok pizza , occasionally friendly staff

Cons: cross contamination, cockroaches , angry owner

Great Vegan Pizza Choices - Edit

So many great vegan pizza choices. A little on the expensive side but on par with the likes of mad pizza. Definitely the most choices of any place I've ever been (I haven't had this difficult a time making a decision since being a meat eat). Would be great if they had a wholemeal base option but they don't...

Pros: Variety , Taste

Cons: Price, No wholemeal Crust

Love the vegan pizzas - Edit

We order pizza here about once a fortnight, or more! We've tried all the veg options with soy cheeze and loved them all. Hard to pick a fave, but the roast veggies is great, as is the roast pumpkin with spinach and pine nuts. I also love the Mexicana, Hawaiian, Supreme, Sheree & Neridah (sun dried tomato, artichoke & olives) and Animal Lovers. Cannot go past the garlic pizza. It is scrumptious! They also have a few lovely vegan cakes in the fridge. And some salads. Also some possibly vegan pasta options, but I haven't tried those. Can't resist the pizzas!

We usually pick up, but on occasion when we order home delivery it always arrives in the specified time frame.

Pros: Great vegan pizzas, Delivered on schedule, Vegan cakes, salad, pasta

Cons: Soy cheeze extra charges add up

Great Vegan Selection, Pretty Good Taste - Edit

Amazing to have such a wide selection of vegan pizzas. Looked great. Tasted good but not great. regular left me still hungry. I ordered online (25% discount on first order though I'm not sure if it's Basil's deal or Menu Log's) and my pizza was pretty cold by the time I collected it. I was on time so they must have made it when it suited them rather than to fit in well with my collection time.

Great Pizza and good coffee too. - Edit

I've been going her for years and always find it good. Since the new owner (2-3 years now?) it has become much less vegan-centric but the existing pizza selections remain and they are very good. Plus there are vegan deserts and other non-pizza vegan options.

Best vegan pizza I've had in Australia. My fave is the fasolada pizza smothered in guac. - might sound weird but try it - it's awesome. The margherita, the animal lovers... they're all good. Would give the pizzas 5 stars if I could. A little pricey though.

Lately it's not as consistent but they also generally make excellent coffee.

Pros: Awesome taste, Good range, Coffee is very good

Cons: Seeing animals on the menu

Consistently good - Edit

I've been to this place several times and the pizzas have always been delicious. There are no worries about knowing what is vegan (or vegetarian) because it is clearly marked on the menu. Almost all vegetarian varieties have a vegan option and there is also a separate vegan section on the menu. I was a bit disappointed last time we went (25 January 2013) that they no longer seem to have their previously wide selection of vegan desserts. Phone ahead because we saw they had a vegan breakfast advertised for the weekend, but when we turned up the place was closed with no notification. They also have Sacred Grounds fair trade coffee here.

Pros: Delicious food, Wide range of vegan options, Fair trade coffee available

Nah - Edit

I was really keen to try this place because it was close to where I was living for uni. I ordered a pizza and some kind of dessert, and both disappointed me. I wish I'd reviewed it at the time so that I could have been more detailed, but I thought the pizza was really crappy. The base was too thin and it just wasn't good. Compared to the vegan pizzas I've had from The Little Gourmet Pizza Shop, it was truly lacklustre. Going to Bondi to get pizza is a pretty big hassle, but if I really wanted it, I'd go there instead of to Basil again.

Pros: Convenient location, Staff were nice

Cons: Food not good

Awesome pizza - Edit

I love this place! Great vegan pizza! Lots of vegan desserts too! There are also GF pizza + desserts. The staff are really friendly too. I have already made a reservation for a 2nd visit :)

Pros: Delicious pizza, delicious desserts, Friendly staff

Good vegan options - Edit

I've ordered the vegan Hawaiian (which is not on the menu, but is a permanent blackboard special), and the vegan pepperoni. Both were very good, and the salad was nice also. It's also open quite late, so you can grab a pizza after hitting the Newtown bars.

Pros: Vegan options, Open late

Great pizza, but build your own and go whole meal - Edit

I regret going for the vegan pepperoni, it is tasty and all, but at 17 grams of fat per 100kg I'd rather eat a vegan candy bar. I went w/o cheesely and customized. Paying the extra 2.40 for the organic whole meal crust is a good idea because its a fantastic crust. BYO because there isn't much to drink there. Its kind of gross watching the meat eaters toppings piled on, but the pizza maker washed his hands after handling anchovies and before making my pizza, very conscientious. Get a family size if two people are sharing because the large is medium sized. Also, that whole area is massively vegan friendly. You can get soy ice cream in a vegan cone across the street or a soy malt shake at Burger Fuel down the street, too. Good thing I don't live near it all, too much temptation!

Pros: wholemeal crust

Cons: animal products

vegan pizza with cheezly - Edit

We stopped in Newtown one evening after sightseeing as we were craving vegan pizza. It was a bit of a walk from the train station, but you can take a bus too. We got a family size pizza with half roasted vegetable and half something I can't remember the name of (with yummy sun dried tomatoes though)! It was delicious all piping hot. Dirk liked it so much that he wanted to order a pizza to go as well and have it for breakfast (he likes cold pizza for breakfast). We got the veggie pepperoni which is really more like Canadian bacon. I had a piece hot and thought it was much better that way, but it was still a tasty breakfast in our hotel room. Oh, and while we were there, we saw the Naked Expresso menu and wish we could have gone as it looked absolutely yummy.

Pros: lots of different vegan pizzas, friendly service

Cons: serves meat

Return to Newtown Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Basil Pizza closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2251 times since Mar 2009.