Au Lac - Dong Da

277 Ngo Van Chuong, Dong Da District, Hanoi, Vietnam,

Inexpensive vegetarian restaurant in Hanoi. Van Chuong is actually a broad alley running between Ton Duc Thang to the west and Kham Thien to the south. Serves brown rice as a staple. Bare bones, no frills operation; not a place to linger over a meal but food is tasty enough. Staff speak some English. Mon-Sun 9:00am-6:30pm

Category: Vegan, Buffet, Take-out, Vietnamese

First Review by Tim Denny

disappoint 277 Van Chuong Kham Thien - Edit

As a long time vegan and residing in Ha Noi for some years. I eat out often at my regular haunts, Nang Tam, 166 Kim Ma, 192 Quan Thanh and 68 Pham Huy Thong Bo De Tam. Occasionally we go and seek out the other Loving Huts or Au Lac places in Ha Noi and Vietnam when we travel.I will say firstly when I dine out the place should firstly have good clean surroundings which should reflect what I'm getting on my plate.
Last night we decided to try 277 Ngo Van Chuong it took us about 10 mins driving around the lake trying to find this pokey hole in the wall. As a vegan I look after my health and this place looks terrible and reminds me of street food with their short plastic chairs and tables (I wouldn't be seen dead eating at and breathing in the passing carbon monoxide) and no way would I even enter a food serving place in this condition, and unfortunately a number of Loving Huts mirror this place. I ended up driving to Nang Tam and enjoyed the food they always serve here and it was packed out, 277 was hardly packing them in 20 minutes earlier. Personally avoid, if you regard your temple (body).

Pros: a waiter came and took us to the place.

Cons: the decor and atmosphere , location. no clear signage, rang about four times for directionsm

ok place & good for Hanoi - Edit

A little off the beaten track, this is the sort of typical 'com chay' place you will find everywhere in Vietnam except Hanoi. I had com dia (30,000d)- fairly greasy, which is a good thing in my book, but a bit bland (no peppers anywhere). Tea tasted like dust.

Contrary to the description of this place, there was no brown rice present, and far from closing early, I was told they are open 7 days a week from 7am until 8:30pm.

They are affiliated with the "Supreme Master" and play her karaoke videos while you eat.

The directions in the description are quite vague, so: Head south on Le Duan, past the railroad tracks. Turn right in Ngo Van Chuong alley, which is after #114 on Le Duan. Follow the alley to the street market and high school, and turn left down Ngo Van Chuong.

Pros: cheap for Hanoi, greasy

Cons: far from tourist-land, Supreme Master karaoke TV

tasty food and good price - Edit

Com Dia - a sort of term that I think means set of the day is usually around 20-40K dong. you tell them the price you wish to pay and they will put on an equivalent amount of items. Typically you do not select what food you want on the plate, just leave it up to the kitchen to select for you. Anyhow, it is a simple but delicious and friendly place. I once took a group of some 10 Vietnamese to the second floor eating area, we had a feast for around 400,000 dong.

Pros: excellent foods, affordable

Cons: hard to find, lack of seating downstairs

Return to Hanoi Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Au Lac - Dong Da closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 4047 times since Oct 2010.