I am often asked about healthy, vegan breakfast options…Most of the time, I enjoy fresh fruit or a smoothie in the morning, although there are days when fruit just doesn’t cut it. When deciding on what to eat for breakfast I want to make sure that every morsel is healthful, nutritious and of course, delicious. This is where my Quinoa Breakfast Bowl works a real treat. It’s the perfect, cooked, gluten-free, dairy-free morning meal. It leaves me feeling vibrant, light and alive as well as pleasantly nourished and satiated. It’s ideal for occasions where regular porridge would just be too heavy (I always find regular porridge a bit too heavy for my sensitive system, so I tend to avoid it altogether). Use fair trade organic quinoa and a good quality organic coconut milk for the best results.
Serves: 1 person
Cooking time: 25 minutes approx
- 50g (½ cup approx) quinoa
- 200ml (¾ cup approx) coconut milk
- 50ml (about a ¼ cup) water
- 5 pitted dates
- Sprinkle of cinnamon (optional)
- Fresh berries (optional)
- Rinse quinoa thoroughly a using an extra fine sieve. This removes any of the natural soapy, saponins that sometimes coat quinoa.
- Chop dates into small pieces and then add all ingredients to a pan (leaving out the cinnamon or berries, which will be added once served).
- Bring pan to the boil and simmer on a low heat for 25 minutes (or until the quinoa has absorbed all of the liquid). Stir once in a while with a wooden spoon. The dates should slowly fall apart melting into the pan to create a delicious sweetness. If the dates are particularly tough, then encourage the breaking down process by pressing them down with your spoon.
- Once cooked enjoy your quinoa bowl served hot or cold, adding a sprinkle of cinnamon and/or a small handful of fresh berries.
This recipe originally appeared on Trinity’s website here.