Yuan Fu

301-762-5937

798 Rockville Pike, Rockville, Maryland, USA, 20852

Rockville vegan restaurant serving Chinese food. Offering dishes using tofu and seitan as meat-substitutes. Open Mon-Thu 11:00am-9:30pm, Fri-Sat 11:00am-10:00pm, Sun 11:00am-9:30pm.

Category: Vegan, Chinese, Buffet, Take-out

First Review by kimmie2072

Wish this was near my house - Edit

As a vegan, it was odd to order Kung Pow chicken and then eat a dish that was very convincing as the real thing. Perfect for new vegans or vegan veterans who want something different.

Great service, great price. - Edit

I can't believe i didn't know about this place. I had wonton soup for the first time! It had a mostly standard Asian menu, but everything is vegetarian and (as far as i can tell), vegan. The staff was very friendly. Service was quick. I got the lunch special, which was a soup and an entree for $10. The noodle dish i got was delicious. It was a generous helping that lasted me two meals. I don't eat at restaurants too often, but Yuan Fe is close to my school so i see myself stopping by for lunch frequently.

Pros: great lunch special, friendly staff, quick service

yum! - Edit

I love the food! The menu is awesome! Many dishes to choose. It takes time for me to pick out one! The service is awesome, too! Bathroom is always clean and tidy. The parking lot is small but I managed to have one easily. Yes, the price is reasonable!

Pros: menu...a lot of dishes to choose. , friendly and patience , no waiting

SO glad we stopped into this hidden gem! - Edit

The menu is huge and although they call themselves vegetarian the detailed menu description reveals it is vegan; all faux meats, no dairy. The food was fresh & delicious plus the service was on point. We had the wonton soup and Moo Shi Vegetable dish. Both yum!

Pros: All vegan options!, Casual, not too tiny yet not big.

Cons: None...not expensive,

Excellent food & service - Edit

I visited Yuan Fu while traveling. I was happy to find an all vegan restaurant. I found the food to be delicious, some of the best mock meats I've tasted! The service was excellent, all of the people working there were very kind. The food came out faster than we could have ever expected. Overall amazing place and if I'm ever in Rockville again I will definitely revisit!

Pros: good food, fast service, kind employees

Amazing food and service - Edit

A great little hidden, unassuming restaurant in the heart of Rockville. The food is incredible and the staff make you feel at home. Everything is vegan and the mock meats really taste amazing. The soups are great too. Fast service!

Pros: Vegan everything

Cons: Not close enough to where I live

LOVE LOVE LOVE - Edit

By far one of the best vegan Chinese restaurants on the East Coast! Food is delicious and the service, led by co-owner/hostess Mary, is spectacular!

Pros: Amazing food, Warm, caring service, Well priced

Cons: Very suburban

Great Restaurant! - Edit

It's amazing what they can do here! I have had some great meals here. I've taken some non vegetarian friends, and they loved the all veg menu!

One advice someone told me and that I've passed along is to say, "when the menu says chicken, or beef, don't expect it to taste like that. It's much better!"

The price is more than vegetarian options at other Chinese restaurants, but it's worth it for a special occasion. Although I can tell that there are many regulars. Once I saw a table of Chinese monks eating there. Great place, and the staff are really awesome too.

Pros: Taste, All Vegan

Cons: Price

Fantastic and Quaint Restaurant - Edit

So happy to have found this little gem. What an amazing treat it was to eat here! An entire Chinese menu that is completely cruelty free and delish. Recommend highly, you won't be disappointed!!

Pros: Attentive, Excellent Food, Great customer service

Yummy Chinese Food - Edit

This is the only 100% Vegan Chinese restaurant in the area and I go about once/twice a month. Overall the food is good but not the best that I had. I like the spinach noodle soup the best. The roasted duck appetizer is delicious. The dishes are low in salt and oil which is great.

Pros: reasonable prices, friendly staff, quick services

Cons: lot of fake meats

Friendly and Fresh - Edit

Easy parking, clean atmosphere, very friendly and prompt staff (womyn). Extensive menu, explains what mock-meats are made of.

Quality food doesnt make you feel gross
Menu has pictures of many dishes

Pros: womyn staff, friendly, Extensive menu

Great Food and Friendly Service - Edit

I've been to Yuan Fu a few times and visited again last week for lunch. The food was tasty and the service was really friendly. The lunch specials are great if you don't want to pay the slightly higher dinner prices.

My sister ordered the wonton soup and raved about it. I ordered the spring roll and thought it was good, but pretty much your standard, deep-fried spring roll (apart from being a generous size). We both ordered the crispy orange chicken, which was a slightly more expensive lunch set at $9.95 (before tax and tip). We both thought the crispy orange chicken was really good, although an admittedly indulgent option, being fried and covered with sauce. This is definitely a great restaurant for vegans and vegetarians who want to indulge a bit! No complaints here and I will definitely be back!

Pros: Friendly Service, Tasty Food

Great food - Edit

I have been going to this restaurant for a long time (sorry, I don't remember how long it's been since I first went here). I went here even before I became vegan and it was still good. Now it's an amazing place for me because I can order whatever I want. Here are some of their food choice I love: Wonton soup, peking duck, pineapple chicken, Sechuan green beans, spinach and sesame pancakes. There's a lot of other choices I like too, but that's a good start. If you haven't been there before, get the peking duck.

Don't go on Christmas! It's a Chinese restaurant in an area with a high Jewish population. It gets very crowded and the only way to get anything would be to carry out. That's the only con I can think of.
Updated from previous review on Wednesday July 16, 2014

Pros: Excellent food, Great value, Good service

Cons: Can't go on Christmas, Parking can be tough

Many Years of Good Eating - Edit

I have been bringing friends and family here for years. The food and service is excellent.

Pros: Food, Service, Atmosphere

Cons: Parking, Too Many Tofu Dishes

A Great Meal Can Be Had By All! - Edit

Carnivores, don't worry. You'll never miss the meat once you get your hands on the Crispy Black Mushroom Appetizer. Vegetarians/Vegans, you'll find no cruelty here. Yuan Fu is 100% vegan! My wife and I had a fabulous meal. I got the faux beef and broccoli, she got the General Tso "chicken". The use of animal names is only to help newcomers around the delectable menu.

Pros: Service, Great Food!, Prices

Cons: Decor is outdated

love it - Edit

So many options!

Eating here for 15+ years! - Edit

One of my favorite restaurants. It's unpretentious and low-key, has pretty quick service and you really can't beat an all-veg restaurant. The menu is pretty heavy on the fake-meat but it is done well for the most part.

When I lived in DC, we used to come out for special occasions but now that I've moved to Rockville, it's hard to not go here every week. When I used to come every few months, I'd always get my old favorites, but now that I've been coming more often, I've branched out and tried some new things. Some new favorites: Curled and Carved Shiitake with Asparagus, Eggplant with Tofu Skins Rolls Hot Pot, Hong Kong Style Pan Fried Noodles.

Pros: great food, low-key atmosphere

Among Better of its Kind - Edit

Yuan Fu is one of the better vegan Chinese restaurants you'll eat at outside of New York City. The prices are extremely reasonable, service is fair and preparation time is not long. It's not a glitz and glam type location, but, hey, it more than makes up in taste and value.

I have sampled many of their types of entrees; the mock duck is very good. These guys know how to get the best of out their seitan.

Pros: Price, Good Food

Return to Rockville Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Yuan Fu closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.