Yan Shan Zay

n/a

Av. Getulio Vargas 1220 (at Rua de Souza), Belo Horizonte, Brazil,

Self-service basis with 20-25 pre-made dishes (Brazilian, Taiwanese and Indian) which one can combine freely and the price is based on the amount of food you put on your plate (by weight). Directions: Located near BH Shooping Centre in the south of City Centre. Previously Jay Rama Ozinha Indiana et Vegetariana. New owners since June 2012.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Indian, Brazilian

First Review by enRoute

Authentic Chinese cuisine - Edit

Don't let the modest entrance fool you, the restaurant definitely exceeds expectations both in taste and variety. Not only do the owners serve authentic dishes from their homeland, they also adapt almost every recipe to make it vegan. A few dishes contain eggs, but nothing contains dairy or other animal products, as far as I know.

Pros: Excellent variety, Authentic taste, Fair price

Cons: Slightly hidden, Some dishes go cold fast

Great food in a rustic location - Edit

I tried Yan Shan Zay on a recent trip to BH. The food was very tasty. Everything was vegetarian, and most was vegan. No signs to indicate the vegan dishes, but the host was helpful in pointing out the vegan dishes. The setting is very casual, with exposed brick walls and a nice ambiance. The buffet lunch was per kilo, and not very expensive.

Pros: Tasty food, Mostly vegan, Casual atmosphere

Cons: Vegan dishes not indicated, Only open for lunch

great find in a carne-loaded society - Edit

I went there after having some trouble finding it. I don't know BH well and Apple Maps and Google Maps sent me somewhere else. Be sure to go to Savassi.

It's on a pretty busy street so parking would be tough. We took a taxi so it was pretty easy. We entered after having visited San Ro the day before expecting more or less the same. We were happy to see it was nearly empty, pretty close to closing time (lunch time ends at 15:00.) Most of the self-service offerings were fairly full and the cold was cold yet the hot was warm or hot. There was quite a nice selection. The owner greeted us pretty quickly. We had our choice of seating. The food was great. This is not necessarily what I would call a health food place but it was tasty. The hardcore animal eaters with me delighted in the offerings. I tried a bit of everything from sushi to mock meats to salads and it was all good, some of it excellent. The sauces were rich and flavorfull, the textures were inline or above expectations (not rubbery or overly tough to chew.) The owner and another server quickly answered questions and we had a free juice (abacaxi/pineapple with couve) to wash it all down with (I enjoyed this, my fiancé and her mother ordered juice and water respectively.) It's open for lunch only I believe with limited hours. There isn't a lot of seating so go early or late. The prices were reasonable, the service very friendly, the food fast and fresh with lots of options. This is a GO.

Pros: great service, fast, great food

Cons: small, could be crowded, self-service only

Delicious Oasis - Edit

This is a great place, tucked into an alleyway just a few meters from Savassi Square. It's smaller than San Ro but has some similar selections; friendly Taiwanese owners, home-cooked selections. Be specific about which dishes contain egg and cheese and they'll be happy to assist you. Nice indoor/outdoor seating environment. Highly recommended!

Pros: Wide variety, Friendly, Cheap

Cons: Many dishes may not be vegan

Return to Belo Horizonte Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Yan Shan Zay closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.