CLOSED: Whole Earth Bakery and Kitchen

Contact 212-677-7597

130 Saint Mark's Place (at Ave A, East Village, Manhattan), New York City, New York, USA, 10009

Vegan baked goods and vegetarian kitchen. Offers a small food menu which includes vegan cheese pizza and lasagna. Has a couple tables for seating. DEC 29, 2012 WAS THE LAST DAY. NOW SHUT DOWN/CLOSED.

Category: Vegan, American, Organic, Take-out, Bakery

First Review by will-travel-for-food

Go to baby cakes instead - Edit

I had a slice of cheesecake that literally tasted like a slab of tofu that was briefly soaked in soymilk then topped with a spread of pureed fruit. I also tried an overly sweet brownie and something else that wasn't memorable. I think Baby Cakes is far better at creating delicious and healthy baked goods. I can't speak for their non-desert foods though.

If this place is your thing, I don't get it but power to you. I would recommend against bringing omnivore friends here. They will politely smile and then talk about how nasty it was behind your back.

Not impressed - Edit

I had the chocolate chip chewy bar and was not impressed. Perhaps I pciked the wrong item but I've had way better vegan goodies at Baby Cakes. Prices were high, service left little impression. I would not return.

Cons: expensive

Love, love, love this place - Edit

The Whole Earth Bakery and Kitchen is a cornerstone of the neighborhood; I've been going there at least ten years--before I was vegan--and this bakery has definitely been instrumental in my decision to go vegan. A few years ago, the owner of the Italian restaurant next door to them was actively trying to get them out, and the level of community support was phenomenal; there was even a rally led by Reverend Billy!

They recently renovated, and the renovation took three months; everyone was on pins and needles waiting for them to reopen. This is a very popular neighborhood place, and in the evenings there's often quite a line.

Favorites include the cheesecakes--including chocolate, chocolate-peanut butter, and lemon-blueberry--and the pumpkin pie is better than any you'll ever have. (Their fudgy brownies are particularly good, too.) Most of their baked goods are sugar-free, and some are wheat-free. They also have daily soups and sandwiches, and a juice bar. There's even a Facebook group devoted to this bakery!

Pros: newly renovated, healthy, sugar-free

best fast food but slow warming? - Edit

all food prepared, chilled, and to eat it hot, gotta warm up in old fashion gigantic oven....great but if in a hurry, pick food that you can eat raw or chilled.
small joint. too little seating and too small to eat in.
take your food outside and enjoy the east village!
awesome owner and very hospitable.

yummy! - Edit

Although I'm not out in this part too often, when I do get over there, I'm always delighted at the "fast food" options they have. It's not fast food in the traditional sense except that you can get it quickly, to go! All of the savory foods are so tasty, and healthy, lots of organic, and even some wheat free! The turnovers are huge, so the price is worth it! Everything looked so good, it was hard to choose! Definitely purchase one or two items for later, you won't regret it! As for the sweets, since I love sinfully delicious desserts, I could tell these were on the healthy side. Not bad, but, perceptibly healthier! Still good, and I love what this place stands for and represents in their food! Stop in!

Pros: turnovers, fast food, organic

Cons: small space, healthy desserts

Fantastic little gem - Edit

There are so many delivious vegan/raw foods and pastries here! I wish I could try them all. The prices are a bit steep, but you can tell that everything sold at Whole Earth is prepared with love. This place has been around for a long time, and they are currently facing possible eviction. Too bad. If you stop in to try a savory baked good or a delicious soup, be sure to sign the petition to save Whole Earth from eviction. It seemed like there were a lot of happy "regulars" when we went in, and the owner was very friendly to us. Recommended!

Pros: TONS of vegan baked goods, TONS of raw snacks, TONS of vegan food

Return to New York City Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Whole Earth Bakery and Kitchen closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 343 times since Aug 2007.