Vegetariansky Klub Govinda - Soukenicka

Contact +420-224-816016

Soukenicka 27, Praha 1, Czechia (at 2 blocks north of Metro exit Náměsti­ Republiky, corner of Petrské Square), Prague, Czech Republic, 110 00

Praha vegtarianska restaurace Govinda's Vegetarian Club serves veggie foods and Indian sweets. Vegans to ask about dairy in food. Directions: From Powder Tower and Náměsti­ Republiky, walk north up Revolučni­ street, the second street on the right is Soukenická, turn right onto Soukenicka until Petrske square, and Govindas is on the left. Look for the large green door. Open Mon-Fri 11:00am-5:00pm.

Category: Lacto, Indian, International, Fast food, Juice bar, Take-out

First Review by lesoranges

Govinda - Edit

I had read about this place on happycow, and here's my Vegetariansky Klub Govinda review.

The location is easy to find and not far from the Old Square. Restaurant a good range of food choices and taste is all right. Good for a causal or fast meal.

There is also a shop next door that sells some vegetarian products, and a another shop a few doors to the left where you can buy tempeh, tofu, and soy products.

typical hare krishna food - Edit

cheap, big portions, typical hare krishna meals. you can choose between small portion and the big one. If you like that kind of food, you can't be disappointed. nice interior.
Updated from previous review on Tuesday August 09, 2011

Pros: cheap, tasty, big portions

Cons: kind of hidden and not easy to find

Standard Hare Krishna - Edit

As usual - big portion and small portion. I like it since I don't like to ask about the size of particular position in the menu. Also it looks lovely inside.

Pros: Cheap, Tasty, Peaceful place

Cons: A bit far from the city centre

emergency place - Edit

For me it was a good emergency place to have lunch last yer as there are not many vegetarian restaurants in Prague but since Loving Hut opened (just round the corner)I prefer to eat there as it is vegan and wider choice from a buffet.
In Govinda there is a set menu each day but you can order just part of it. I think if you get the big menu you get seconds for free! It's definitely not vegan and in my opinion they use too much sugar and dairy products. The dining area is clean and recently renovated (2009?)but I find the decoration tasteless. I like to eat good food in a nice environment. It gets very crowded at lunch time so I recommend going there at 11am or after 2pm.

Pros: vegetarian, non-smoking!, good value

Typical Govinda's Experience - Edit

Nice place run in the traditional Govinda style. All the food is ready and on display, you ask for what you want, they serve it over the counter and you sit down and whip it down in non too fashionable surroundings. But hey, it's good and I'd go back. I wondered why the place was packed at about 4:30 pm, then I read the signs and kind of guessed that after 4:30 all food is 1/2 price which is a complete and utter bargain. Good luck to Govinda's, they do a great job and cater for everyone's veggie food needs during the day.

Pros: cheap, friendly

Cons: basic

Slop--literally - Edit

I am a vegan and I lived right across from Govinda's for a year, but only ate there once. The one time I went, I got some strange slop that seemed like breadcrumbs in sour cream. Vegan items were not labeled on menu, so ask!
You would be better off spending a little more at Albio across the street or heading to Tynska in Old Town for much better food at Beas.

Pros: Cheap

Cons: Quality

Return to Prague Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Vegetariansky Klub Govinda - Soukenicka closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.