Vegetariano El Calafate

Contact 952229344

Calle Andres Perez, 6 (at front of Terteria El Haren), Malaga, Spain,

International cuisine vegetarian restaurant with an abundance of Middle Eastern and Mediterranean dishes. Offers a 3-course menu for around €10. Try the lentil soup and tomato soup. Open Mon-Thu 1:00pm-11:00pm, Fri-Sat 1:00pm-12:00am, Sat-Sun 12:00am-12:00am.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, International, Mediterranean, Middle Eastern

First Review by Fuegoblanco

A must place for vegetarians in Malaga - Edit

Very popular restaurant in central malaga. It was packed. The set meal is a good value for money, food is good and generous portions.

Pros: Cheap and abundant

Cons: Don't expect the gourmet vegan food of expensive L

good food - Edit

the restaurant have a good atmosphere. we waited a while before receiving the menu, to a point I had to get up and ask for one. the service was average they didn't ask questions on how we find the food no interaction.
the food was responsibly priced according to most place in Malaga and also good portions.
I had a set menu which was lentils, pasta with beetroot pesto and a chocolate mousse.
the lentil was very good the pasta was average they could have done better however it was edible. the chocolate mousse was horrible, it's seem like it was made out of drinking chocolate very sweet with a powdery taste the worst mousse I have ever tasted and I did not eat it.
my boyfriend had the tofu meal which was a big portion of tofu and a few potatoes with a bit of green leaves and a sweet sauce. If you don't really like tofu I wouldn't recommend this meal it was what it's says on the menu: tofu!! and that's all you get.
overall experience was good.

Genial restaurante en pleno centro - Edit

El menú del medio día, a 12€ por persona, merece mucho la pena. Pedimos una ensalada mediterránea y una crema de verduras de entrante y ambas estaban buenísimas. De segundo, pasta con pesto vegano y burrito con tapenade. La mayor sorpresa es que tenían un postre vegano (además de la pieza de fruta que puedes pedir) de arroz con leche. Acabas muy, muy lleno.

Pros: Muchas opciones veganas, Comida casera y sana, Postres veganos

Cons: Necesita reserva o esperar bastante en cola, La bebida no está incluida en el menú

Calafate - It's Not Too Late - Edit

A hopeful start to our meal as we sat down in the modern relaxed surroundings of the restaurant and looked over the 12 euro menu of the day and gave our orders.

Our starters were fine really - a standard salad with a spoonful of baba ghanoush on it and a reasonable but uneventful vegetable soup.

However what we hadn't been told and nor did it seem had the manager who served us, was that the kitchen had run out of the aubergine and tomato pasta sauce that we'd chosen from the blackboard menu (which was already replacing the printed menu, as items from there weren't available). So without warning, we were instead presented with a pepper, courgettes and coconut milk sauce on pasta spirals. Think really basic thai curry with pasta. Now to us, this just doesn't work as a dish. Can't say we've seen coconut milk and pasta before and there's probably a reason for that. However we were advised by the waiter that other people liked the dish and it wasn't a one-off. So I guess you'll have to decide for yourself what to think of this.

We complained and were offered choice of another item. But the remaining items on the set menu were courgette in coconut milk (felt a bit deja vu) and mushrooms and mashed potato. Not feeling as if one goes out for a restaurant meal to have mushrooms and mash, we opted for a bean casserole from the starter list. Which one of us liked a bit and the other didn't.

When it's possible to find all sorts of interesting recipes online, there's not any longer a real excuse for not serving better food. If this restaurant upped its game with the food then it would be a winner - being in a great central spot and with a nice interior.

I'd suggest if you eat here then before sitting down you decide if there's something on the menu that you definitely fancy eating and then check with the staff if it's actually still available. In which case you might be fine. But on balance, we wouldn't go back.

Pros: Decor, Location

Cons: Dull or odd food

Does its job - Edit

Pick your fave's from today's menu and enjoy the ride. Service is friendly and swift and the food is hearty. Although this is not a 'raw' place the food we had was luke warm and we heard another table ask for their food to be reheated...boost the oven El Califata and you'll get another star! All in all this place is a very good option if you're looking for somewhere central away from the jamon iberico.

So curious - Edit

We ate here and had the menu of the day. The portions are huge but the taste is limited. I was hoping this was going to be the place for us Malaga to eat. We are in our 60's but food for us was disappointing. I had a chick pea casserole that was more like soup. My husband had the potato leek soup that was quite heavy with it seemed a lot of cornstarch. and pasta with overcooked zucchini. Rice pudding for dessert.
Believe me we wanted to like this place. Go for yourself and see...let us know your thoughts.

Pros: huge portions, easy to find, Pleasant atmosphere

Cons: huge portions

Nice vegetarian place - Edit

We went here yesterday with our almost 3 year old daughter and three month old son. Staff was accommadating, provided colored pencils, and spoke English. Food was good (porra and pasta with sweet potato) to very good although a bit more winter food (chick pea stew and mashed potatoes with peas and tomatoes). Dessert was also nice: lemon tart and carrot cake. Good value for your money at 9.70 euros for a menu!

Best Ajo Blanco in Malaga - Edit

This restaurant was a godsend during a week long stay in Malaga. The 3 courses for 9.5 euros was a bargain and they served enormous bowls of the best Ajo Blanco in Malaga. The desserts were still limited with only cold rice pudding or watermelon for vegans, neither of which were really appealing but all the other food we ate there was very good indeed.

Pros: Good choice, BEST ajo blanco

Cons: Lack ofvegan desserts

Excellent Food - Edit

Good news for those who have previously reviewed complaining of the lack of vegan desserts. They have at least one now, it's a rice pudding with a taste of cinnamon and it's fantastic. Really sweet, really tasty. (Life's short, eat dessert first, right?)

For the rest of the meal, we had hummus as an appetizer which was superb. I had lentil soup, cous cous mixed with vegetables (awesome!), and of course the rice pudding for dessert.

Our waiter spoke english and knew off the top of his head which dishes were vegan and which dishes could easily be converted to vegan. I went with his recommendations and was very happy I did.

We are planning to eat here again right before we leave Malaga.

Pretty disappointing - Edit

I went there with a group and everyone had the set menu for 9.50€.

The vegetarians seemed to do okay, but as the only vegan I found the choice very limited and didn't feel particularly re-assured that the starter I was eating was actually vegan.

As other reviewers have mentioned, there's no vegan dessert either.

I wouldn't go back again.

Cons: Crap if you're vegan

hit & miss - Edit

We went here twice, the first time wasn't great, the food was bland and we felt there was a lack of effort put into it. The second time was better, soups were still pretty tasteless but the main dish, a cauliflower and mushroom bake type thing, was delicious and full of flavour!

Some members of staff didn't seem knowledgable on what options were vegan, just replying to our questions with "everything on todays 'set menu' is vegan", which just wasn't true as a majority had different cheeses listed or had a warning pictures of 'contains egg' or milk next to it. With regards to the symbols used on the menu (contains egg, milk, gluten, soya etc.) they are not accurate, i.e. some items had no symbols next to it but the description clearly labeled cheeses, (hence asking the waiter for advice).

Over all, its cheap, but the experience can be hit and miss.

Disappointing - Edit

Been to El Calafate finally!!! Cheap food is not the issue,but how plain everything was...I m Vegan, so I knew I would struggle, but my seitan steak was as hard as a shoe, the soup was OK, but nothing I couldn't cook at home...Presentation was great,shame I wasn't t there to take pictures.Would not recommend, sorry...

Pros: Inexpensive

Cons: Staff only speaks Spanish, Bland food

Top high expectations - Edit

So I read reviews and got recommended to this place. It was a bit hard to find. Decoration of restaurant was basic vegetarian (more a sinner place still I guess), staff nice and told about food. Anyhow 3 course menu was a really disappointing. Food was pretty/well presented but the taste, it was just a normal-avarage restaurant food with no special taste. My friends mIn course was a pasta with only oil and cheese, terrible!. Desert was some not-homemade cake and all options were not vegan. I really misssed good taste but the best was their organic wine selection :)
Updated from previous review on Sunday December 07, 2014

Pros: Good organic wine, Nice staff

Cons: Food?, No vegan option for desert

Fantastic vegetarian food in Malaga - Edit

Fantastic place - a shame I only found out about it towards the end of my time in Spain and only managed to go once, otherwise I would've gone to El Calafate whenever I had been in Malaga.

It's been a while since then, but I can still remember the food was superb and well presented and that the waiter spoke English very well and was very attentive.

I had the menu del dia, which came with a grilled vegetable salad to begin with then, followed by stuffed pumpkin(stuffed with wild mushroom and rice) and fruit for dessert. All the food was fantastic and it was so refreshing to find a decent vegetarian place in Andalusia, as they are hard to come by!

Pros: Fantastic quality of food, Good value for money, Attentive staff

Cons: A little hard to find

Good inexpensive food - Edit

This is my second option in Malaga. They have nice menus with 2 dishes and dessert (the joghurt is the best!)for a very convenient price. Food is quite good.

Service sometimes is a little slow, though.

Pros: good value, friendly staff

Return to Malaga Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Vegetariano El Calafate closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.