Upton's Breakroom

• Friend
Contact 312-666-7838

2054 W Grand Ave, Chicago, Illinois, USA, 60612

Vegan cafe attached to Upton's Naturals production facility serving vegan comfort food. Offers a variety of sandwiches such as chick salad, bacon ranch burger, and breakfast sandwich; entrees such as Korean tacos and nachos; sides such as fried bacon mac and mashed potatoes; and desserts such as vegan soft serve sundae and housemade cookies. Seasonal dog-friendly patio seating. Mon-Sun 11:00am-7:30pm

Category: Vegan, American, Take-out, Catering

First Review by SynthVegan

Wow! - Edit

The food is amazing. Okay location and on the small side which could make it difficult during busy times however the food more than makes up for it. I will be back and would love to try everything on the menu. Pricing is fair.

wonderful! - Edit

wow! if you're in the area, this is a MUST STOP! and dont leave without getting the bacon mac and cheese and ice cream!!!! has only a few tables for seating but i'd stand up to eat here! worth it!

Pros: all vegan , vegan ice cream!, good selection

Cons: small dining area

Yumm! - Edit

Ate there today and I will most definitely be going back. I had the hamburger, mac & cheese and afterwards, the blueberry pie ice cream. It was amazing! Can't wait to go try out other things on the menu.

Pros: 100% vegan, Clean, Friendly

Nice little place - Edit

If you find yourself in the neighbourhood, pay this tiny place a visit. Their menu of course revolves around Upton's offerings. I got the employees meal, which was a jackfruit curry, that was delicious, and had a nice spice to it. A side of fried bacon mac n cheese was a must try as well, and it certainly didn't disappoint.

I really enjoyed it, and was also happy to see that with a curry for example they do have options that are more on the healthy side as well. Anyways, a great spot for some nice comfort food. Friendly and welcoming staff as well. The only negative thing is, that some of their dishes (like the sides) always seem to come in take out containers, that end up in the trash at the end.

Pros: Delicious, Cheap

Cons: Some dishes come in take out containers

Soo Good!! - Edit

Upton's has an awesome flavorful menu! Prices are really reasonable. The food is delicious, so long as you are not eating HCLF it is great. If you are count it as a cheat meal cause it is worth the trip!
Scott had the BBQ jackfruit sandwich, it comes with greens and bacon mac-n-cheese for only $7
Brandy had the bacon cheese burger. $9
We also got a side of rice and beans. $4
The only draw back, is there are only 8 seats so if you come at a busy time plan to carry out. Don't let that stop you, as the food is delicious!

Pros: All Vegan, Great Value, Very tasty food

Cons: limited seating, not for the low fat eater

10/10 - Edit

My boyfriend and I came here on a cold winter day in need for some comfort food. I got the togarashi bowl with a side of mashed potatoes and he got the Korean tacos with a side of fried bacon Mac. for desert shared a spiced chai sundae with cookie crumbles and chocolate drizzle. It was so filling and amazingly tasteful. Quality and very reasonably priced. Highly reccomened.

Pros: spiced perfectly, filling, nutritious and food por

Cons: Lime instead of a lemon with the tacos

100% vegan, 100% good - Edit

Updated from previous review on Wednesday November 04, 2015

Changing my review because I went back for a second visit. My first experience was not the greatest, but I could tell that it was just one of those days. It only took me two days to come crawling back and this time around everything went smoothly.

On my first visit I had the bahn mi and flashed greens which were both really good. Today, I had the "employee meal" which was pastrami with kraut on rye and it was delicious! The kraut definitely made the sandwich. My husband ordered the korean tacos which had a really great flavor!

Really excited to visit again for brunch sometime and also to try the vegan soft serve! The cookies looked gigantic - I wish I had kept room in my stomach for them.

Love that the menu is 100% vegan and so far everything I've sampled has been top notch!

Pros: 100% vegan

Cons: small

worth the journey! - Edit

When we traveled to Chicago last summer we didn't rent a car and we were staying at the magnificent mile, but we figured out the city bus system so we could go to Upton's Break Room! The fried bacon mac and cheese is the most delicious thing I ate on the whole trip! We also got sandwiches and several other items...you get A LOT of food for a little money. Go. It's sooo worth it.

Upton's Breakroom Rules - Edit

Upton's is a really great option: all-vegan, nice new space, easy street parking (if you drove). Some of my favorite menu items are the Fried Bacon Mac and Monsoon dessert. For the main meal, the Employee Meal is a good way to go (like a daily special). They have brunch on the weekends now, too, which I need to check out.

Pros: Really fresh and delicious, Nice space, Reasonably priced

Cons: Small space

Seitan galore - Edit

Yay. I was really thrilled to see on happycow that Upton's opened up a retail location. It's small but comfy enough, and the sandwiches are tasty and inexpensive. I don't have time to make seitan at home, so sometimes I would grab a pack of their packaged seitan at Whole Foods Market (in the refrigerated foods section by the tofu and other faux meats). Throw the seitan in a stir fry with veggies and noodles, and voila: dinner.

Could be so much better, but not bad - Edit

This is a small cafe attached to the Uptons corporate building. They make good food, based on the Uptons products, such as fried "bacon" mac and "cheese", "Pastrami" sandwiches, etc. They also have soft serve "ice cream," and I have tried really hard to like it, but it's really not that great. 100% vegan.

Pros: 100% Vegan!, Good Food

Seitan Wizards - Edit

If you've never had Upton's Seitan look for it in stores! The break room is attached to the factory where they make the seitan, it's small, and it doesn't have a sign so it's easy to miss.
Upton's is an active part of the community and we are grateful for them! They even have benefits for local animal organizations!
The staff is friendly, the food is good but not much variety, they have vegan soft serve!

Pros: Friendly Staff, Good Food, Local and active the community

Cons: Small venue, Little variety

Delicious sandwiches! - Edit

Upton's Breakroom is a small cafe, selling a choice of maybe 6 sandwiches and a couple of sides, plus cakes and cookies. We went twice, and everything we tried was delicious - favourite overall was probably the Italian Sausage sandwich, but we loved the tempeh and breakfast muffins as well. Plus the most over-the-top but delicious brownies I've ever come across! Sides were tasty too (gravy + mash or bacon mac + cheese), very friendly - reccomended

Tasty Sandwiches and More! - Edit

Had to stop in to try their "pastrami" sandwich. It was very, very tasty. Also had a side of mashed potatoes & gravy. Very good as well.
As the other reviewers said, it's small but the food was delicious. Have to go back to try their mac & cheese.

Pros: Delicious sandwiches, Street parking, Friendly staff

Cons: Location not near me, Small seating area

Great place - Edit

Great new business. When driving to this destination, keep your eyes peeled because it's hard to spot. There is limited seating and the menu itself is small too.

I tried the fried bacon mac & cheese during my first visit, it was alright and the bacon tasted like seitan. For dessert I had the chocolate soft serve ice cream. I would recommend the addition of vanilla soft serve, or even offering the chocolate/vanilla twist, as I thought the chocolate ice cream by itself tasted like Hershey's syrup.

During my second visit I ordered the BLT (I gave the 'bacon' another shot) and the mashed potatoes and gravy. I thought they'd use vegenaise on the sandwich, but it was something else. I felt the sandwich could use a bit more flavor. The mashed potatoes were good.

Upton's has sold wraps and other things in stores such as Whole Foods and I was surprised to see they were not on the menu at UB. When the wraps are fresh they are quite delicious, I hope to see them offered in the café one day.

The employees were extra friendly and the location was very clean. The prices were very reasonable as well. I understand there are a few kinks to work out here and I'm confident my next visit will result in additional cows.

Return to Chicago Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Upton's Breakroom closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 10614 times since Jul 2013.