Tripti-Kulai

Contact 04-67663051

20 rue Jacques Coeur, Montpellier, France,

Vegetarian food restaurant. Has vegan and gluten-free food choices. Jan 2013 reported by owner its health food shop on rue Bernard Délicieux or its cafe on rue Massillian are no longer operating. Mon-Sat 12:00pm-9:30pm

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, French

First Review by Gary Lawrence

Limitated for vegans - Edit

A nice place, with very fast and friendly staff. The food was very tasty but there were few vegan options, especially hot vegan dishes, it would be grateful for December and 3ºC on the street, and there were no sources of vegetable protein.

Pros: Friendly staff, Fast service

Cons: Few vegan options

So Happy to be there - Edit

The food is really good. As vegan I tried some very simple stuff but they were great. It is not cheap like I read before but tell me a cheap vegetarian restaurant? They play spiritual music so joyful. I don't think it is cult or something. I ask them - it is their spiritual teacher, as Buddha, Krishna, Christ and so forth. I like it there and next time when I visit Montpellier I will go again.

Should I give it another try? - Edit

I went there a while ago (only because it is/was the only vegetarian restaurant in Montpellier), and there was only one vegan option that I remember of: the "complète végétalienne". I was disappointed. It was made with good and healthy ingredients (lentils, lettuce, carrots...), but nothing creative (just the ingredients on a plate), no seasoning, and overpriced. I somewhat hope it changed: I would gladly go back if it doesn't match the stereotype "vegans only eat grains and salad" anymore. ;)

(It is a Sri Chinmoy cult place —but I don't really mind.)

Pros: Fresh food, Well located

Cons: Overpriced, Not enough vegan options, Not flavored

poor experience - Edit

The restaurant belongs to cult of Sri Shinmoy, you can see his pictures hanging on the walls all around the restaurant.
The vegan dish I ordered was nothing special, basically not-flavored piles of vegetables and some hummus. I don´t think this was an experience worth the 13 euro. I ended up later on with a felafel from one of the fast foods in the city center, as I was still hungry.

Pros: central position, fast , vegetarian food only place

Cons: food not flavored, belongs to cult, no places outside

It's ok, but it's one of your only options so go - Edit

Montpellier doesn't have loads of vegetarian/vegan restaurants so it is nice that this place exists. I had the Complete Vegetalienne, which was the only listed vegan option as a main (though it sounded like they could have done one or two other mains vegan as well), and it was good and refreshing - very healthy. It was lentils, salad, and roasted veggies with brown rice and I enjoyed it. My partner had the Salade Japonica, which had a lot of shredded carrots on top of galletes and tofu. It was a bit dry, but they provided oil and vinegar on the table so that helped. The service was ok and the atmosphere was really nice.

Pros: Fresh veg, Healthy

Cons: Service, Not many vegan options

Canteen like place, overpriced - Edit

I had a dinner there with a group of friends, and many of them were quite unhappy of their experience. From my point of view, this place would be okay if it was (much) cheaper. The food and ambiance is canteen like, which is fine, except for the price which should half price for such a service.

Pros: Vegan & Gluten free dishes, Simple atmosphere

Cons: Overpriced, Closes early, Not super friendly staff

Healthy simple food - Edit

This is the first vegetarian restaurant I have ever been to. The food was over-all pretty good. Tripti-Kulai offers a few good vegan options (although a bit simplistic). I had the "Complète végétalienne" which was very nice as well as a crumble with soy custard. The food is fresh so it's overall very tasty. It's a nice place too and the staff are friendly.
My main complaint would have to be that they're aren't all that many options over-all and the vegan options are all too few. I'm also not really a fan of the spiritual elements and it's a bit expensive.
Overall I still really liked it.

Pros: Fresh food, Several vegan options available, Nice staff

Cons: Not enough options for vegans, Spiritual aspects, A bit expensive

Hearty food lacking inventive - Edit

I tried it last week twice but definitely it was not one of my best experiences. Their menu is mainly cheese and egg-based, so there are not so many options for vegans. And the ones available lack inventive (but are certainly healthy): grains, beans, lentils, and some smoked tofu. I tried it twice, and the only positive aspect is that you can have hearty food in a city where it's not always obvious to find vegan food.
Their fresh squeezed vegetable and fruit juices are nice though, and you can also make your own dish by selecting the ingredients you prefer. No vegan desserts, except for a simple fruit compote.

Pros: hearty, healthy food, located in city centre

Cons: not many vegan options, no vegan desserts

Wonderful restaurant - Edit

Tripti Kulai was recommended by a non-vegetarian friend who had eaten there several times. We tried it out and were really pleased. The plat du jour was different each day we ate there and was always interesting and good. The staff were very friendly and helpful, and we also enjoyed talking with the owner for a while. This restaurant will be high on our list next time we visit Montpellier.

Pros: interesting menus, good value, friendly staff

Cons: none!

Lovely little cafe - Edit

This is the only veggie restaurant in Montpellier so it's not got much competition, but it's a nice little place with a decent menu and options for vegans and gluten free diets too. The staff are friendly and most of them speak English too, always helpful for tourists!

Pros: Vegan and Gluten Free options, Reasonably priced, Friendly staff

Cons: Rather basic meals, Lots of spiritual pamphlets etc around

Loved it! - Edit

I don't understand why this place seems to be getting such lack-luster reviews. I ate here 3 or 4 times while I was in town for a week, and had excellent food and great service every time. I'm vegan and had no trouble finding plenty to eat each time I went. The decor and atmosphere are nice too. I wouldn't hesitate to go back.

Not really amazing - Edit

The restaurant is well located near the Place de la Comédie, with a beautiful vaulted stone room. However, the food lacks refinement, and very few dishes are vegan (dish of the day is almost never do). However, it is the only vegetarian restaurant in Montpellier that is open evenings and weekends.

Pros: well located, good choice of healthy drinks

Cons: food lacks refinement, too few vegan options, closed too early in the evening

Middle of the road - Edit

I visited this restaurant last week and was surprised to find it almost empty (it had just gone 9pm). As my friend and I had clearly arrived after the main sitting, there were only two meal options - both quiches. Even so, the waitress was confused as to who had ordered what...
The food itself was quite pleasant. The quiches were both tasty with a good crisp pastry and the accompanying salad and cooked veg were fresh and flavourful. We both ordered lassis to drink, but I was disappointed that for €4.50 you only receive a 250-300ml glass of lassi that I wasn't convinced was freshly made. In total the meal cost over €14 each, which I class as quite expensive - I can eat better and more cheaply in central London! To be honest, I go out to eat things I can't make at home so it was a bit disappointing and considering so many other restaurants also sell vegetarian quiches, I can't see how this place survives given their prices.

Pros: nice decor, food was fresh and tasty

Cons: expensive, Don't arrive late!

Nice, but a bit uneven. - Edit

One of the very few all-vegetarian places in town. I have been coming here for lunch from time to time for the last 2,5 years. The food is generally good, the daily specials in particular, but a bit uneven, depending, I guess, on who is in the kitchen. I appreciate the generous portions and the non-greasy food. It would be great it they could include more vegan options. The service is invariably nice and friendly, though.
Updated from previous review on Tuesday August 27, 2013

Pros: Good food, friendly staff

Cons: Uneven, not many vegan options

Tripti Kulai - Edit

We found this eating place very mediochre, it,s only saving grace that is one of very few vegeatian restaurtants in the city of Montpelier

Pros: totally veg, central location, smallish portions

Cons: uninteresting menu, not gourmet, more a cafe than a restaurant

Not bad ... but not good either - Edit

This is one of the Sri Chinmoy inspired places that seem to be all over the world now. The food was not bad in any way, it just lacked excitement, flavour and imagination. I wouldn't bother going here again. Perhaps worth a look if you are desperate for a vegetarian meal.

Pros: homestyle food, central location, good value

Cons: boring food, lack of options

Take a pass - Edit

This is the only vegetarian restaurant in a college town which shocked me. The food was bland and tasted badly. I'm okay with bland and tastes good, but this food was just bad. I rarely label a food as gross, but it was gross. I couldn't even finish it and gave it to my friend who agreed it was gross, but finished it because he was starving.

They also didn't have an item that I ordered and instead of being accommodating and giving me chips instead of bread with my hummus, the server was rude.

She was rude, period. She was working on a project and when we told her we were ready to order to rudely told us to hold on a minute and didn't even look up. It was like we were bothering her.

My friends had gazpacho which they said was the worst they'd had in their life. I will never return here.

Cons: Service, Tasteless, gross food

Creative homestyle cooking and cheerful decor - Edit

With its barrel-vaulted stone ceiling and cheerful colors, Tripti-Kulai is a pleasant little place.

The menu is mostly honest, simple, homestyle cooking with a bit of creativity (stuff your health-conscious friends might cook for a special occasion). It isn't gourmet, but it's hearty and the portions are relatively generous.

One criticism is that, while there is a nice selection of starters and salads, there are just four or five main dishes from which to choose, only two of which are vegan.

There's one vegan dessert - a nice fruit crumble (though the desserts are a bit on the pricey side).

The beverage section of the menu offers many more options, and its very central location makes it a natural place to drop in for a drink and a bite when in the old city center.

It can be busy at peak meal times, so consider coming ahead of the rush. An English menu is available.

Pros: Hearty, healthy food, Cheerful vibe

Cons: Few vegan options, Desserts are quite expensive

The best - Edit

We live in Montpellier and it's the only veggie place eat out. It's the only place my wife wants to eat out; We take the kids here at least once a month. it's just so good that non veggies come here.

Pros: good value, healthy food, original

Cons: none

Return to Montpellier Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Tripti-Kulai closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 4273 times since Aug 2007.