CLOSED: Tomo Sushi

Contact 818-729-0808

144 N San Fernando Blvd (at Orange Grove), Burbank, California, USA, 91502

Serves meat, vegan options available. Burbank Japanese restaurant and sushi bar. Has vegan sushi menu - just let chef know you're vegan or vegetarian. JAN 2016 REPORTED SHUT, PHONE NOT WORKING.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Japanese, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by Tiina

not good - Edit

I went here today and it was not great... I wouldn't go back again. The atmosphere was dirty and greasy. While they have a decent veg menu, the waitress wasn't clear what had dairy in it (sauces) and what didn't, or whether they could prepare the vegan food where it wouldn't be contaminated. The food was bland and I felt a bit ill after, even though I only ate the edamame, miso, and some avocado rolls. It's a shame because i like to promote restaurants that offer a veg menu, but this one i do not recommend.

Pros: large veg menu

Cons: dirty, bad oil, cross-contamination

Huge Vegetarian Roll list! - Edit

This is one of my favorite sushi places in all of the world! I think its actually run by Chinese proprietors, but they really accommodate vegetarians. I'm not sure if they understand vegan, but more than enough vegans eat here so I'm hoping the kim chi roll doesn't have anchovies, etc. Its a fun place with $ bills on the wall all colored up. The people are really nice even if English is not so great. Tony's Darts bar just opened in the area so I heard a lot of vegans are happy that there's another place to eat in burbank now

Pros: huge selection, good service

Cons: needs more vegan clarification

Tomo's is the ONLY place to go! - Edit

We have been going to Tomo's now for around 3 years, ever since we randomly walked in and thought it was going to be the usual cucumber, vegetable or avocado sushi choices. Not so. Tell Tomo that you are vegetarian or vegan, and then let him work his magic. You will experience foods that you have never heard of or tried before (mountain potato with mung bean...little yummy fried peppers with the most delicious sauce ever...kim chee sushi rolls...). He always changes it up, too - some things stay the same but when we visit there is always something new that he throws in during the many courses that he will serve to you, which are never on the menu.

Truly an indulgent and rare to find experience. Top it off that Tomo is a sweet guy as well as an artisan at what he does, it is a most pleasant experience. It's not cheap, we go there as a special treat when we can, but totally worth it. Even our meat-loving friends have given Tomo high marks for his skill with fish and sushi.

I wish I could give 5 stars, but since fish/meat is served here as well, Happy Cow will only allow 4. Tomo's is tops in our book!

Pros: Amazing 'off the menu' food, Unusual & large selection of veg items, Great service, high quality food

Cons: A bit expensive, Location is small, but cozy

Return to Burbank Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Tomo Sushi closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1129 times since May 2008.