Contact 206-633-0801

1411 N 45th St, Seattle, Washington, USA, 98103

Serves meat, vegan options available. Maria Hines owns and runs this certified organic fine dining establishment in an old house. Serves cocktails, wine and beer, sodas made in-house. There is a veggie and vegan menu. Mon-Thu 5:00pm-10:00pm, Sun 5:00pm-10:00pm, Fri-Sat 5:00pm-10:30pm, Sat-Sun 10:00am-2:00pm

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, Organic, Beer/Wine, Non-veg

First Review by kindlizard

Lovely Tasting Menu - Edit

I love a good tasting menu, and Tilth has a good one. I had the 5 course vegan. It was fantastic! The dishes were well crafted and balanced, using prime, in-season produced. It was all cooked to the perfect texture and temperature. My favorite dish was the King Oyster Mushroom. It was charred ever so slightly and balanced with a lemon foam. It was one of those dished that makes your eyes well up with tears (of joy). I was mildly disappointed with the potato main course. It was delicious, but it didn't have the wow-factor I expected after the other courses. The vegetarian at the table said the gnocchi was "the best I've ever had." I would have loved to have gotten something like that. The wine pairing was excellent as well.
The restaurant itself is in an adorable old house. The patio is cute and shady, and although it sits on a major road, it feels secluded. The service was excellent, never hovering, never neglectful. The price is about what I would expect for this sort of meal. The portions were right. I didn't leave overstuffed or hungry.
Overall, I really enjoyed myself here. This has been the best meal I've had in Seattle. This will be my go-to for a nice evening out.

Pros: Vegan Tasting Menu, Delicious, Wine Pairing

Best Vegan Options in Town - Edit

This is one of the few places where you can have a vegan, vegetarian or omnivore meal and feel like you don't need to be sporting your Birkenstocks. Menu is sophisticated and ingredients are usually local and of good quality. Can't say anything bad about the food.

Pros: Great options for vegans & omnivores, Good quality food

Food as an art form - Edit

This is a place to go and enjoy a carefully crafted meal. They offer set menus (veg, vegan, or meat), wine pairings, with the option of Sommelier pairings - which I would recommend (but haven't myself tried the other option)

It is pricey. At least for the set menu, the portions work up together to a reasonably sized meal. We thought there was plenty of wine coming, too - if I went there again, I would skip on any cocktails before the meal.

Pros: Food and wine quality, Atmosphere, Service

Vegan choices in a cozy house - Edit

Tilth presents a fine dining option in Seattle. There is a vegan menu, with gluten fee options as well. We had a vegan risotto, and a Pot au Feu. Both were nicely done. The chocolate sorbet dessert was wonderful.

Pros: vegan choices, some gluten free, nice atmosphere

Disappointed... - Edit

I was really looking forward to trying Tilth based on recommendations from friends as well as the review here. My meal sounded very similar to the 1st reviewer (soup, risotto, choco dessert) but the service was horribly slow and the portions were virtually nonexistent. If it hadn't been so late when we left I would have gone elsewhere for more food. I was shocked that the meal took 3 hours 15 minutes! I had to ask for bread at one point just to get something substantial in my stomach. It is actually hard to rate the quality of the food because it was so insubstantal. I was really left wanting more...

Pros: Seperate vegan menu

Cons: VERY slow service, Tiny portions

The Best Meal of My Life - Edit

This place was suggested to us by the Oregon Tilth folks who certify this place organic. While not being exclusively veggie or vegan, they do have both a veggie and a vegan menu. Their menus change monthly in order to stay seasonal and regional.

I had never in my life experienced carpaccio, being vegan for 15 years it had never been presented to me before this trip. The Watermelon carpaccio w wild mint was a revelation. The presentation was also a beautiful flower, the circles of melon being the petals and the middle being diced cantaloupe. What an amazing start.

The Carrot ginger soup was mind-blowing!! The broth was so silky smooth and light, yet flavorful and rich. The presentation of this was also quite nice, a dollop of chutney in a bowl then from a teapot, poured on top of it came the broth.

The Farro Risotto w a basil pistou was so delicious. It had such a great basil balance. There was also a broccoli-lemon balm chilled soup (wow!), a white bean app (yowza!), both of which were delicious. The pot en feu was seemingly simple yet packed w many great flavors, textures, veggies and beans which cook down a beautiful broth. The Artichoke w Israeli Couscous was also amazing! The components of this dish made me think I would not enjoy it as much, but the masterful technique of the kitchen made this dish very enjoyable.

What other way to end a meal like this than chocolate? They make their own sorbet, so amazing we had to order another. It was accompanied by hazelnuts which were just roasted and gently salted, the balance of which was just perfect.

This was a perfect meal. Flavors kept building dish after dish. We were giddy w amazement at how incredible this meal was. It was like being front row for our favorite band.

Our waitress was the best server we've ever had, the way she made us feel at home, so accommodating, was exceptional.

The porch setting was very lovely w flowers and herbs along the sides. Inside was very nice as well, they keep it immaculately.

This is a destination for anyone who likes to be surprised with delights.

We later came to realize that Maria Hines who owns Tilth is a celebrity chef, having been on Top Chef Masters recently, and this Sunday (8/1/10) will be on Iron Chef America to take on Morimoto.

I'd give it 7 or eight happy cows if I could!

Pros: Best meal of my life, Best service too, vegan menu rocks

Cons: n/a

Return to Seattle Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Tilth closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2037 times since Jul 2010.