CLOSED: Tiengarden

• Vegan

Contact 212-388-1364

170 Allen St (at Lower East Side, Manhattan), New York City, New York, USA, 10002

Manhattan vegan kitchen serving Chinese food. Offers soy based items, vegan desserts, cheap lunch specials, and more. Simple set up, no Wi-Fi. No longer offering dim sum per Nov 2013 report. Confirmed closed, May 2015.

Category: Vegan, Chinese, Delivery, Take-out, Asian

First Review by Bill K

NYC offers better veg options - Edit

We came here for a late quick dinner a couple of weeks ago and were pretty disapointed. The main dish was advertised as a full entree, but it hardly met this category. This rice dish with soybeans and ham little flavor and the size was medium at best. The biggest disappointment though has been a rice dish which couldn't even pass as a side dish, since it was served in a small bowl other restaurants use for their soy sauce only. On top of that it tasted bland and had nothing to do with Asian food.

The crowd this place seems to apeal to are not people who want to have a nice comfy meal but rather the skinny jeans hipster type of guy/girl. NYC offers far better veg options.

Pros: Nice staff, Centraly located

Cons: Bland food, Small portions, Rather pricy

Very tasty, prices have gone up since renovation - Edit

Very tasty food at Tiengarden although since their renovation the prices have gone up. However, nice service and the place looks updated. It's great to have a veg option in this area!

Vegan & Fresh - Edit

On a burgeoning restaurant row on LES' Allen Street, just 3 blocks south of the F train 2nd Ave station , community stalwart Tiengarden serves fresh, minimally processed , Asian-inflected vegan dishes. For a recent dinner date ,I had burdock dumpling soup, 5 grain rice bowl with ginger and kale, and cold marinated soy cutlet (that's "yuba" for Soy foodies). Everything was tasty& the soup had a delicious broth and those yummy dumplings. The service was quick and efficient, the ingredients were crisp & properly cooked --not too raw or overdone -- and I liked the new design of the restaurant space, minimalist and spare like the food preparation.

Servings and prices are moderate, but if you're looking for a really filling cheap meal, go to Himalaya Cafe 4 blocks north, on first street at 2nd Avenue, where there are lots of veg options.

Seating at Tiengarden is at counters & stools along the front window, or at communal tables , and the bathroom is behind the kitchen, so you can greet the cooking staff on your way. There are smoothies and locally brewed ginger beer for sale, as well as salads, noodle dishes and dumplings.
I recommend this for a light meal & if you're really hungry, my advice is to order at least 4 dishes .

Pros: Fresh, Clean , Gluten free options on menu

Cons: Smallish sized portions

Well worth dining - Edit

This vegan restaurant, reopened, offers a unique menu. There are a "Magic square of nine" appetizer sized dishes, five "Tien plates of five" entrees which highlight the 5 elements, plus sandwiches, soups and create your own dish. The dishes we tried were well done and very satisfactory. We had the burdock dumplings and gluten nuggets from the nine, and the "Golden White" (oyster mushrooms, soy cutlets and curry peanut noodles) and "Black Wisdom" (black bean tofu, black mushrooms, woodear and kale stew, buckwheat noodles) as entrees. Dinner was very enjoyable, although the entrees were moderately sized. The restaurant is small, with two tables plus a counter, but well lit, modern and pleasant. Service was excellent.

Pros: unique menu, tasty, pleasant ambience

Cons: entrees moderately sized

Under renovation/ hope to see them Sprint 2013 - Edit

According to their website, Tiengarden is closed for renovation. I was in NYC on Saturday, March 2, 2013, and was disappointed that they were not open yet. I look forward to their return. I have been eating at Tiengarden for at least ten years. I like this place a lot. I have never gone wrong with the daily special. Please let us know when they are open again.

Pros: very good value

Cons: they are taoist: no onion, no garlic

My favorite restaurant in NYC - Edit

My wife and I have been going to Tiengarden for years (since before we were married) and now bring our son as well. The food is awesome! I especially enjoy the bean curd special, and the burdock dumplings are among the best foods I have ever tasted. The staff is extremely friendly (they recently purchased the place from its long time owner) and have not missed a beat. My wife loves the basil bean curd and you also have the option to create your own dish. I also love its location on Allen Street, in a vibrant section of the city near famous music venues such as the Living Room, Pianos and Rockwood Music Hall. The place is not as fancy as the famous places in NYC but it's "local"feel adds to its charm. We feel like we are eating at home there. We will continue to go there as long as it is there.

Pros: food, staff, location

Tiny and simple place - Edit

Tiengarden is a tiny little place, with about 4 tables. They have simple veg fare, sandwiches and stirfries. I had a sandwich, and remember thinking that it was ok, but a little on the plain side....and I kept wishing that I ordered a stirfry or curry instead. The staff is quite friendly. reasonably priced. There were some interesting sweets (like Goji cake) but I didn't try.

Pros: quiet, friendly staff

Boring depressing place - Edit

I am a devout vegan foodie and will go into any place, any where. However, this place was so depressing and the food was not worth the unpleasant surroundings. I hope the owners will add some joy to the environs.

Pros: Tried to please

Cons: Ugly, Depressing

pretty good hole in the wall - Edit

i have been to tiengarden a handful of times over the years. they have a nice menu with a mix of noodle dishes, soups, salads and a few other things. a couple of the items i have had were a bit bland but other times i have had tasty meals. it's small and cozy which i really like.

I stop in whenever I am in the area. - Edit

I have always found this place to be a solid dining experience. Small, but I have never had to wait long, friendly service, genuinely good food at a reasonable price. I always ask the staff for their daily recommendations and have never been disappointed!

Pros: friendly staff, good food, good value

Cool place to grab crispy seitan and mild soups. - Edit

Have eaten at Tiengarden many times over the years and remember very few dishes - they're mostly very bland. The crispy seitan appetizer is really extraordinarily good - I go there just for that. Some of their desserts are good, too. Hot and Sour is okay but lacking the hot section. Always really friendly service and the location can't be beat...Mooshoes moved but is still nearby, Babycakes around the corner from that, and Bluestockings is next door.

Pros: servcice, seitan app, some desserts

Cons: mostly, lacking, flavor

Was here a couple of weeks ago. - Edit

I walk by Tiengarden all of the time and decided I would have dinner there a couple of weeks ago. I ordered spring rolls and then a soup with mushroom broth, seitan and vermicelli. The spring rolls were good, though there was nothing spectacular about them. The soup was entirely underwhelming, the mushroom broth was nothing beyond okay and the seitan was relatively near to vile (it was basically the same consistency as wet white bread). I will probably try again at some point, but there are definitely better places to get a bite to eat in the area.

Pros: relatively healthy food, good delivery service, responsive staff

Cons: food was just okay

Mixed bag - Edit

My friend insisted that this place was great, so we started a 7-person bachelor party out here, and I see a lot of satisfied reviews here, so I might try it again someday, but I have to say I wasn't blown away. There were some good items, the dumplings were decent, but greasy, the crispy gluten tasted pretty good, the curry potato was probably one of my favorites, and we tried some ice cream dish and the carrot cake which were both pretty good. The Satay had a weird taste and was disappointing, the spring rolls were a little greasy, I can't remember the other dishes we tried, but they weren't very impressive. The service was friendly and helpful, the atmosphere is lacking, it was a hot night and there was no a/c going which made it muggy even with the door open. I had read somewhere(supervegan?) that you can't bring in alcohol, even though they don't serve any, but my friend didn't know that and brought us all a beer and they didn't seem to have any problem with it. The prices were a little high, but most places in NY are. I'd say in NY there are many better vegan options, but if you're in the neighborhood, it's worth at least checking it out.

Pros: friendly, vegan ice cream, curry potato

Cons: lots of things didn't taste very good, price slightly high, atmosphere

Vegan Heaven - Edit

We had an hour before we could start the Tenement House Museum tour and their sales clerk recommended the Tien Garden for lunch. When we found the place we were greeted with friendly smiles and a welcome. We had the following: #3 Vegetable Steamed Buns(2), #13 Lotus Leaf Wrap (2) and S.5 the Veggie Ham Sandwich, fake meat with a terrific taste like ham. We both award 5 happy cows. A "Must Visit" when you are in New York, and special trip to the lower East Side.

Pros: Great Fake meat, terrific sticky rice , friendly manner

Cons: none

nice place - Edit

Tiengarden is a quirky little place offering tasty Asian dishes. This restaurant is vegan and an old menu notes that all dishes are "free of the Five Impurities: onion, garlic, leeks, shallot and tobacco." (Yes, you read that correctly.) But, for some of the dishes, they are not afraid of heat, so if you like things hot and spicy this is definitely the place to go. All the grains are organic, as are many of the vegie ingredients. No coffee here, but that's no problem. Just move over to Bluestockings book store, right next door, for a cup of organic Chiapas brew and perhaps a nice vegan sweet or pastry.

Pros: vegan, good food, and cheap, friendly staff

Return to New York City Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Tiengarden closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 4082 times since Aug 2007.