Thien Dang Vegetarian

714-531-4888

14253 Brookhurst St, Garden Grove, California, USA, 92843

A small vegan food restaurant providing Vietnamese cuisine, since 2012. Menu features veggie soups, baguette sandwiches, rice and noodle dishes, juices, and Vietnamese coffee. Uses faux meats and also sells veggie foodstuff for take home. Open Mon 9:00am-7:00pm, Wed-Sun 9:00am-7:00pm. Closed Tues.

Category: Vegan, Fast food, Delivery, Take-out, Asian, Vietnamese

First Review by H

Fresh sugarcane juice and good vegan food ! - Edit

This place had a funky smell which was recognized as soon as we walked. I tried the spicy beef soup which was essentially pho, the vegan meat rolls, and the spring rolls. The soup was great, the spring rolls were good too but the meat rolls had a funky smell/taste to it. They have fresh sugarcane juice for 3 bucks! Always refreshing :)

Pros: Fresh sugarcane juice!!!!, Good vegan food and Vietnamese sandwiches

Cons: Place kinda stinks

Not VEGAN!!!! - Edit

I'm not sure why this place is under the vegan catagory when most of their dishes are Vegetarian.I thought they just say vegetarian until i checked one of the frozen packages in the freezer and one of the most occuring ingrediant was whey.Next time you go here ask for the package that the meat came in and read it because i think that all of the food except for maybe the sandwiches are vegetarian not Vegan.

Pros: good food, great price, ok service

Cons: might not be vegan, might not be vegan, probably not vegan

Old kitchens make great food - Edit

So if you can get past how run down this place appears the food is good.

I was not really hungry so I just sampled off of my daughters order. She was a little intimidated by the menu and didn't really know what things were, but next time I think she will be a little more prepared. She tried the fried rive and spring rolls. Seriously the rice was super good full of veggies and so much flavor. The spring rolls were not to my taste, to much mint but that is just my preference, I liked the peanut sauce they were served with.

Next time I will try the Bahn Mi as that seems to be the big draw to this location.

Pros: Vegan Bahn Mi

Cons: Dingy and Run Down, Staff not overly friendly

Deeelicious - Edit

Great little place. Was craving banh mi and vietnamese coffee and became ecstatic to discover that this place has vegan vietnamese coffee (the traditional recipe calls for condensed milk). For my first time, I ordered just that! The crust was light and flaky while the interior of the bread fluffy and smooth. Cucumber fresh, cool and crisp. Protein well balanced in flavor. They also sell other products in their refrigerated section such as noodles, bulk items, jerky, vegan/vegetarian seafood...can't wait to go again!

Pros: Cozy seating space

Rude staff / Decent food - Edit

I went to dinner at Thein Dang at about 6:54PM earlier (the restaurant hours state that the restaurant closes at 7PM). The restaurant is small, and the food pre-prepared and sits in metal containers behind a glass casing at the counter. I wanted for about 5 minutes behind other customers in line, and then placed my order. The woman at the counter asked if I wanted to eat at the restaurant, and I said yes. She said "Sorry, we are closed". Because I had to wait in line, the restaurant was suddenly closed? I replied "Am I at least able to order food?" she said "No". So I walked out the door. Hungry and determined, I walked back inside and asked if I could please take some food to go. Another one of the staff members said that would be ok. The food was already prepared, so I was very surprised that they had any issue serving me. I ordered a noodle and tofu dish and another stringy tofu dish. Both were just average, and certainly were not worth the hassle. I give this place a 3 star, and that is generous. There are other better veg places in the area, and this is the first time I have had such an issue in any restaurant.

Pros: Decent food

Cons: Rude staff

Delicious food - Edit

Not only are the sandwiches delicious, the customer service is excellent!

Wish we'd gone back again - Edit

We ate at several vegan joints in LA and probably enjoyed the first one, this one, the best.

There was the imitation meat, but also plenty of non-mock choices. Everything was fresh and the flavors were clear and delicious.

Scored a few things I'd never seen before in their store, too

Pros: Quick n cheap, Friendly staff, Delicious

Cons: Takeaway atmosphere, In a strip mall

nice! - Edit

When you drive through the hundreds of Vietnamese restaurants in Garden Grove and wish there was one for you, don't fret you're in luck! Inexpensive Bahn Mi sandwiches and noodle soups. A little heavy on the fake meat options for me but they sell all of it for home cooking as well

Pros: inexpensive

Veggie take-out - Edit

Place is more set up for takeout, but you can also order in. They have veggy-meats and Asian products for sale. I had fried rice - was good. I think their main thing are Vietnamese style sandwiches on French bread.

Pros: cheap prices

Return to Garden Grove Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Thien Dang Vegetarian closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.