The Satyagraha House

• Hotel B&B
    ( 1 review )

This was the home of Mohandas Gandhi from 1908 to 1909 where he developed his philosophy of passive resistance: Satyagraha in sanskrit. It's now a guesthouse and museum. Breakfast and snack are provided but if you would like to take a dinner meal at the house it must be ordered ahead of time. All of the produce used in the house is organic, and comes from the kitchen garden and sustainable sources in the region. Open Mon-Sun 9:00am-9:00pm.

1 Review

First Review by Charlie Behrens

Restoration and Grounding - Edit

We had been on safari for a couple of weeks north of South Africa when we arrived, so we were looking for peace and comfort. We found so much more.

Satyagraha House greeted us with kind and gentle staff, a delicious vegan dinner and breakfast (mostly grown on-site,) and a beautiful room. We had a fascinating tour of the house/museum and took our time soaking in the history and power of the Satyagraha movement. Sitting quietly in Gandhi's bedroom is now one of the peak life experiences of my over 60 years.

We learned from the staff that meals can be arranged for groups and for people who are not staying overnight.
If/when I ever make it back to Joburg, I'm going straight here.

Pros: Delicious food grown in gardens on-site, Special food needs available, Home of Mahatma Gandhi

Cons: Well worth paying a bit more than a hotel, No lunch. (Restaurants w/ vegan choices nearby)

Return to Johannesburg Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Satyagraha House closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.