1 Review

First Review by lilliebliss

Sai Thai - Best Thai in Joburg - Edit

This little restaurant in Cyrildene is a gem. The restaurant has been around for years feeding those in the know absolutely delicious, fantastic meals. It's often fully booked so reserve a table a day or two in advance, but sometimes you can chance it and they can seat you.

People come in hordes for takeaways.

There are so many vegan options you won't know what to do with yourself, so let me advise that you try the Tom Kha coconut milk soup, or the Tom Yum Je for a starter. Mains are a little harder, because everything I've tried is delicious. I do tend to go back to the Pad Thai Je over and again though. My partner always eats the green curry - spicy and saucy.

The watermelon ice juice is a must, or the coconut ice juice. They seem to blend fresh fruit with ice and a little sugar to make a most spectacular cold drink. Avoid the bottled juices, or the ice teas because those are unbearably sweet. Unless of course you like that sort of thing.

The waitress working is often working alone and I imagine that the kitchen is a four stove plate kind of joint, so sometimes food and service take a little longer than in other restaurants. The wait is entirely worth it, and the waitress is a lovely lady who writes out invoices by hand, so no tantrums.

I crave the Tom Kha Je, so much so that I drag said partner there often. You'll love it too!

Jozi108 10 Apr 2017 - THIS PLACE HAS CLOSED DOWN!!!

Return to Johannesburg Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Sai Thai closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.