The Root Cafe

• Veg-friendly
Contact 501-414-0423

1500 S Main St (at 15th St), Little Rock, Arkansas, USA, 72202

Serves meat, vegan options available. Try the vegan tofu scrambler which consists of organic tofu seasoned with turmeric, cumin, and nutritional yeast prepared with grilled onions and peppers; served with a small side salad. Has quite a few other vegan choices including vegan mayo.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, Organic, Delivery, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by claires321

Lovable Little Cafe - Edit

My husband and I stopped here for lunch while we were exploring downtown Little Rock. It as AWESOME! The place was absolutely packed, the food was so so delicious, and they did have good vegan options even though they were only veg friendly. They did have the vegan options labeled on the hanging menu, but I asked them just to make sure because it was so packed and I wasn't 100% on the labeling. However, they were extremely helpful and knowledgeable when I asked them. If you ever travel through, definitely stop here. This place is really fantastic! I wish I could give it 5 cows.

Pros: Delicious food, Good options, Very knowledgeable staff

Cons: Not 100% clear menu

Banh Mi for me! - Edit

When I come here, I love to get the banh mi (tofu, jalapenos, carrot&radish, cilantro, and lots of tasty sauces! My mom loves their fries, but we both wish they were a less salty.

My second favorite option is the marinated shiitake mushroom burger! It's so tender and perfectly cooked. It's not as filling as the banh mi, so I usually get a side of fries or the salad with their house vinaigrette.

I like that they have a seasonal menu so it changes time to time as well. It could use some more vegan options. It's definitely cozy, and sometimes filled to the brim during lunch.

Pros: Friendly/Great Service, Locally Sourced Products, Relaxed/Casual Atmosphere

Cons: Crowded at lunch, Small Seating Area

Pleasant Surprise For Down Home - Edit

I travel in business & am also Stage IV cancer on a very restricted diet (mostly organic vegan/vegetarian) no chemo, radiation kill my immune system for me (see cancertutor.com). Lots of options here folks and I wasn't disappointed. Came away with a house salad and over easy duck egg. Organic fresh brewed coffee, wow. I cleaned my plate. Wish I could find a place like this back home.

Pros: Vegan/Vegetarian options, Lots of organics, Pleasant employees

Cons: No AC on a really hot n humid day

Fried Green Tomatoes - Edit

Visiting Little Rock and looking for an interesting local lunch spot -- found one! Many vegan options, including the SPICY BANH MI sandwich, which had pickled carrots on it. Yum. The fried green tomatoes were really good. I didn't so much care for the sweet potato fries because they were sprinkled with cinnamon and I would have preferred them plain. It was a fun splurge, but a bit too salty and a bit too fried to become a regular dining destination for me. Good people-watching.

Pros: funky atmosphere, fried green tomatoes, easy parking

Cons: salty, hard to find seating

best vegan food in the south - Edit

The Root Cafe should be the first visit for a vegan in Little Rock, AR. Open early for breakfast and until early afternoon, the restaurant has several vegan options for both periods. Most of the food is sourced organically / locally and is proudly displayed.

The food is great and the service is friendly. It gets busy during lunch so prepare to wait in line and even for a seat (seating is on first come first serve basis) if you come during peak hours. The vegan options were great but it would be nice if they had a few more (they have around 5 or 6 I think including a house salad and PB&J w/ vegan sour cream).

Pros: several vegan options, polite and informed staff

Cons: not a mass of vegan options

Best vegan option in Little Rock - Edit

When we arrived at The Root Cafe during peak lunch rush the line was out the door. After dining here twice during our vacation we understand the popularity of this small diner for its cozy and healthy feel. They have several vegan options for breakfast and lunch. The concept of "vegan" is well understood by the staff and our food was great with excellent service. The only thing keeping us from giving it five stars is a lack of vegan options but nonetheless the Little Rock community hasn't quite accommodated for the vegan community and the effort is appreciated. We will think to eat at The Root Cafe next time we visit.

Pros: several vegan options , great service, locally sources

Cons: small interior, busy during lunch, could be healthier

A few good vegan options - Edit

This is a cozy little place, with seating inside and outside, with a fairly decent menu with some vegan options. I had the Bahn Mi sandwich, which was loaded up and very good. The service was slow, as they make everything fresh to order. They do have vegan baked goods. On the day I was here, they had a spicy chocolate brownie. I opted to skip dessert.

Local & Organic Food Heaven - Edit

The Root Cafe is my favorite restaurant in Little Rock. It has a really cool atmosphere - it used to be an old diner/drive through (not totally sure) and now it is decorated in a cosy/alternative style. There's outdoor seating in a pretty garden area with some slides & kids toys. There's also a patio around the restaurant that is heated during the colder months. Now the most important part - the food! It is not all vegetarian - and indeed there is more meat on the menu than veggie. However, the vegetarian (& vegan) food that they have is phenomenal. Think really good sandwiches, salads, & veggie sides. My personal favorite is the spicy banh mi sandwich (made with grilled tofu). They also have tons of delicious locally made drinks (soda, kombucha, beer, coffee, etc.) and really good baked goods.

Disclaimer: I'm not affiliated with the restaurant in any way besides being one of their biggest fans.

Pros: amazing food, cool atmosphere, very friendly people

Cons: not entirely vegetarian, crowded at lunchtime

Return to Little Rock Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Root Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2038 times since Jun 2013.