Red Deer

Contact 0114-2722890

18 Pitt Street, Sheffield, England, S1 4DD

Serves meat, vegan options available. This pub offers the vegetarian choices and a few vegan ones, marked. Has a vegan burger. Staff can tell you which beers are vegan suitable. Open Mon 12:00pm-11:00pm, Tue 12:00pm-12:00am, Wed 12:00am-12:00am, Thu 12:00pm-12:00am, Fri 12:00am-12:00am, Fri 12:00pm-12:00am, Sat-Sun 12:00am-1:00am, Sat 12:00pm-12:00am, Sun 12:00pm-11:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Western, Beer/Wine, British, Non-veg

First Review by imogenmichel

Good, more of a student place - Edit

Many vegan options. Hark back to your students days and coming to veganism from McDonald's/Burger King every day. This kind of fare would be your salvation. So not gourmet exactly but it doesn't need to be! Friendly staff and great to have yet another place with vegan options. Nice to visit if nearby, good beer and a nice easy change.

Pros: Reasonable prices, good traditional pub

Cons: parking, standard fare, gets busy

Disappointing pie experience - Edit

I visited this pub a few days after visiting the nearby Fat Cat for the first time and unfortunately the food did not come anywhere close to the Fat Cat. I had some haggis pakoras to start which were fine - I had never seen anything like them before so just had to try - although apparently they are quite a common thing in Scottish Indian restaurants?). The pie I had for my main course was unfortunately not enjoyable at all - pale, unexciting pastry (initially I thought the pie had been served upside down which might have explained this, but this was not the case - lovely golden puff pastry was no where to be seen). The pie filling was also very bland and uneventful. The pie was surrounded by heaps and heaps for tasteless boiled vegetables which I struggled to get through. The gravy was the only thing on the plate which tasted good (or of anything really) but there wasn't enough of it.

I also had a bite of the vegan burger, which tasted pretty good and was served alongside some tasty looking chips. Perhaps I just got unlucky with the pie and I feel kind of guilty for slating this place because it's great they're trying but I really didn't enjoy my meal at the Red Deer and do not plan to visit again.
Updated from previous review on Friday January 01, 2016

Pros: vegan pub food in a central location, the burger did taste good

Cons: vegan pie = very bad! , kind of expensive

Great pub - Edit

We came here on a bank holiday when everything else was already closed. Staff was very friendly, the pub had a good vibe. We had the burger and the battered tofu, both really good, and generously portioned. Now my pub of choice in Sheffield.

Fantastic Vegan Food! - Edit

I came here three times last week while staying with friends in Sheffield and every time the food was utterly fantastic! The vegan board was an all-round delight and I just loved the vegan burger, homemade with sweet potato, butternut squash, cashews and ginger. I was also amazed to learn that the bar staff are able to tell you which of their beers are vegan-friendly! Definitely above and beyond what I would normally expect from vegan pub food. Highly recommended!

Pros: Amazing vegan food, Staff know which beers are vegan, Great atmosphere and surrounds

Cons: Not 100% veg

Return to Sheffield Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Red Deer closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2244 times since Jan 2014.