The Ragged Canteen

• Vegetarian
Contact 020-75826465

22 Newport St, Vauxhall, South East London, England, SE11 6AY

Cafe and gallery. Offers changing menu of vegetarian lunches from 12-2:30pm with vegan and gluten free options, and Saturday is brunch all day. Relaxed environment with free Wi-Fi, magazines, weekend newspapers. Children welcome. During gallery hours, it serves cake and coffee from a vintage Italian espresso machine.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Organic, Beer/Wine, English

First Review by anianadia

Quality Cuisine - Edit

I would go back to this place as the menu changes daily and the food all looked great. I had already eaten but popped in for a herb tea and had some of the home-made vegan Turkish Delight cake with icing.

All the food is ethically sourced, seasonal and cooked to order. Being a small venture and very popular at lunchtimes, due to the quality of the food, I would say that any wait would be worth it.

All 7 starters on offer were vegan on the day I visited and there were 2 vegan main options- a gluten-free Sweet Potato and Quinoa Burger with Blackberry Salsa and Jungle Curry. There was also soup, toasties and salads.

The house coffee was Monmouth and the Brixton Beer I believe is vegan.

The atmosphere was friendly with the clientele chatting with the owner and although they were renovating outside when I visited, there is usually outdoor seating as well as inside. There was disabled access and toilet also.

Discounts available for Student Card and Vegan Society holders.

Take away service also provided

Nearest Tube was Vauxhall and nearby buses were the 360, 334, 3 and 159.

Very Good Dishes - Edit

The place has a wellcome atmosphere and the reception is warm. Vegan options can be found and some mainly vegeterian dishes have a vegan option. Inexpensive. I recommend.

Pros: Place Atmosphere, Reception, Dishes Very Well Made

Cons: Cash Only

OK - Edit

It's ok if you're in the area but I wouldn't travel to this place. They have a fee different vegan options. Service wasn't great, I had to wait for my food for nearly 40 mins.

Pros: different vegan options

Cons: service not great

TheRaggedCanteen Dear Anianadia
We are very sorry that you did not feel satisfied on your visit. Sometimes we are unusually busy and on those occasions there is sometimes a wait on some dishes especially if they are made to order as we are a small team, we do have options which should be ready fast such as the daily curry or salads. Sorry that we did not succeed to offer that on the day.
We do hope that you will be in the area again to visit hopefully more successfully
The Ragged Canteen

Return to South East London Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Ragged Canteen closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 4617 times since Feb 2009.