The Ragged Canteen

+44-20-75826465

22 Newport St, Vauxhall, South East London, England, SE11 6AY

Cafe and gallery. Takes bookings for tables of 6 and above - email theraggedcanteenkitchen@gmail.com one day in advance and wait for email confirmation. Offers changing menu of vegetarian lunches from 12-2:30pm with vegan and gluten free options, and Saturday is brunch all day. Relaxed environment with free Wi-Fi, magazines, weekend newspapers. Children welcome. During gallery hours, it serves cake and coffee from a vintage Italian espresso machine. Open Wed-Sun 11:00am-5:00pm.

Categories: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Organic, Beer/Wine

First Review by anianadia

Helpful and pleasant - Edit

I visited the Ragged Canteen in Vauxhall on Wednesday. I had asked them a week before if they could cater for my type of vegan which involves cooking without refined or added oils or fats (per Drs Greger, Esselstyn, Campbell, and McDougal) and no added salt. I sent them some recipe links.

When I arrived they had had prepared about 4 alternative meals that complied with my dietary requirements.

I have not been to a restaurant for many years, because of the problem of getting my type of vegan meals cooked to a high standard. I am fed up with catered charity functions which supply me with a bell pepper stuffed with poorly prepared, dried out, rice and some undercooked carrots scattered round the plate for effect. After years of cooking for myself to a high nutritional standard but low quality in taste and presentation, it was a delight to have a meal outside that I could enjoy without worry.

The dining room is not to Harrods level or typical high street eateries. There are basic tables with chairs in a large room which is clean but not sumptuous, but I didn't mind that at all. Maybe your boss or a client would like a more up market environment with better floor coverings, expensive lighting and decor. However the meal was not expensive and I liked it a lot. They had used carefully chosen herbs in place of salt.

The meal was worth the 5.5 miles cycling to get to the restaurant.

The staff were helpful and caring.

The customers looked like they were local people who had realised the benefits of going to this location. It is based in part of an old building used as an art center.

When I went it was not over busy but they had a steady flow of customers. I think they had served at least thirty people whilst I was there. I was told that sometimes later in the week they get busier.

I chose this restaurant because I liked the pictures in Moozine of their food. I wanted basic healthy well prepared vegan food and that is what I received.

Updated from previous review on 2018-02-23

lovely little place for vegan and vege lunch - Edit

I am a regular at this place and have never had a bad meal. The menu changes daily and the staff are always great. Every day there are a couple of good vegan options and everything is healthy. Burritos, soups, salads and stews all flavoursome and filling. Plus they have vegan cakes most days too! A great place for lunch if you are nearby, I definitely recommend!

Quality Cuisine - Edit

I would go back to this place as the menu changes daily and the food all looked great. I had already eaten but popped in for a herb tea and had some of the home-made vegan Turkish Delight cake with icing.

All the food is ethically sourced, seasonal and cooked to order. Being a small venture and very popular at lunchtimes, due to the quality of the food, I would say that any wait would be worth it.

All 7 starters on offer were vegan on the day I visited and there were 2 vegan main options- a gluten-free Sweet Potato and Quinoa Burger with Blackberry Salsa and Jungle Curry. There was also soup, toasties and salads.

The house coffee was Monmouth and the Brixton Beer I believe is vegan.

The atmosphere was friendly with the clientele chatting with the owner and although they were renovating outside when I visited, there is usually outdoor seating as well as inside. There was disabled access and toilet also.

Discounts available for Student Card and Vegan Society holders.

Take away service also provided

Nearest Tube was Vauxhall and nearby buses were the 360, 334, 3 and 159.

Very Good Dishes - Edit

The place has a wellcome atmosphere and the reception is warm. Vegan options can be found and some mainly vegeterian dishes have a vegan option. Inexpensive. I recommend.

Pros: Place Atmosphere, Reception, Dishes Very Well Made

Cons: Cash Only

Avatar TheRaggedCanteen

TheRaggedCanteen 20 Jun 2015 - Thank you very much for your visit we are very happy that you enjoyed your meal. We do hope you come back to visit soon. And good news we are now able to take card payment.

OK - Edit

It's ok if you're in the area but I wouldn't travel to this place. They have a fee different vegan options. Service wasn't great, I had to wait for my food for nearly 40 mins.

Pros: different vegan options

Cons: service not great

Avatar TheRaggedCanteen

TheRaggedCanteen 20 Jun 2015 - Dear Anianadia
We are very sorry that you did not feel satisfied on your visit. Sometimes we are unusually busy and on those occasions there is sometimes a wait on some dishes especially if they are made to order as we are a small team, we do have options which should be ready fast such as the daily curry or salads. Sorry that we did not succeed to offer that on the day.
We do hope that you will be in the area again to visit hopefully more successfully
The Ragged Canteen

Return to South East London Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Ragged Canteen closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.