CLOSED: The Old Bell

+44-1491414114

20 Bell St, Henley On Thames, England, RG9 2BG

Serves meat, vegan options available. A small cozy pub open every day but vegan menu only available on Sundays. Situated in the oldest surviving building in the city so access for pushchairs (buggies) and the like is a bit difficult; please ring in advance. Confirmed closed Feb 2017.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Beer/Wine, British, Fusion, Non-veg

First Review by sophiefp

Amazing dinner!! - Edit

I went to The Old Bell with my boyfriend for dinner last week and we both really enjoyed it. The pub is the oldest building in Henley and it has a super cozy and nice atmosphere. The staff was very friendly and made you feel really welcome. The best part was the food though. I've been to many vegan restaurants before but I must say this is definitely a favorite. I can really recommend the Nut Roast and all the yummy vegan desserts. Such a good experience!!! They also serve vegetarian food and some meat for those who are not too keen on vegan food.

Pros: very friendly staff, good atmosphere, great vegan food

amazing! - Edit

The best Sunday lunch I've ever had! The vegan options were brilliant, the service was great and the portions were huge! What more could you ask for? Lovely pub and will go back again soon - so glad we found it!

Pros: service and staff, portions , extensive vegan options

Vegan Sunday Lunch - Edit

After seeing the varied vegan options on their Sunday lunch menu, and hearing rave reviews from other vegans in the area, we made the trip to Henley to check the place out. We were not disappointed! The food was fantastic and the service was warm and friendly. It was great to have so much to choose from and to be able to try so much from the menu. Star of the starters was the White Bean Truffle Purée - heavenly! We came specially to try the CFC (newly added to the main menu) and also had the nut roulade with roast potatoes, Yorkshire pudding and delicious mushroom and port gravy. Both excellent options. We each ordered a different vegan dessert and each was wonderful - sticky toffee pudding, New York Cheesecake and bounty balls with home-made ice cream. We will certainly return.

Worth a visit - great food and warm and friendly service - Edit

A group of us drove quite a distance to eat at the Old Bell on the recommendation of a friend and wow are we glad we did. The special vegan menu changes on a regular basis and everything is home cooked and delicious. There were several starters and main courses including a vegan roast with all the trimmings (I loved the Yorkshire puddings and the cauliflower 'cheese' with red wine gravy and the fab nut roast). There were also a pasta and lentil dish and shepherdess pie, among others. In fact we complained there was too much choice ! It was tough to make a decision with so many good vegan dishes to choose from.
The homemade vegan ice creams were made on the premises and the chef informs us they always have at least 3 or 4 flavours in the freezer.
The cheesecake was also wonderful. Also vegan.
Must go back next time for their vegan lemon meringue pie and homemade 'bounty bars'.
The landlord husband and wife team are warm and friendly and nothing was too much trouble. After a conversation about growing food, we were sent home with some locally-grown rhubarb !
A lovely lunch out with good food and good company.

Pros: Great vegan choices, Friendly and helpful staff, Wonderful ambience in historic pub

Cons: I live too far away to visit every week, No onsite car parking, but plenty nearby

Vegan owner cooks fab dishes every weekend - Edit

Gets my vote as the best place to eat out in the Thames Valley area for vegans and vegetarians.
The owner Pamela works elsewhere during the week, but at weekends serves up amazing and adventurous vegan three course choices, including lemon meringue pie. Also on special event nights. The menu constantly changes. Everything is home made.
Join the Thames Valley Veggies Facebook group to see the latest menu photos. Or not, as it makes it more than tempting to eat out a lit!

Pros: Wonderful vegan menus devised every weekend. , Oldest pub in Henley and very atmospheric. , Has a table outside in the diddy courtyard, as wel

Cons: Small, so book ahead to be sure of a seat. , Not next door to my house.

Return to Henley On Thames Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: The Old Bell closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.