The Mango Grove

• Veg-friendly
Contact 410-884-3426

8865 Stanford Blvd St 107 (at Lakeside Retail), Columbia, Maryland, USA, 21045

Serves meat, vegan options available. South Indian cuisine restaurant offering a separate, extensive menu for vegetarians. Vegan dishes are marked.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Indian, Buffet, Non-veg

First Review by groovyvegan

Delicious! - Edit

I've been here several times for their lunch buffet. It is amazing! Flavors are perfectly balanced and there are plenty of options. Be sure to try their broccoli. If you are vegan, there are tons of choices- just ask for a tour (its easier for them to specify what is not vegan than what is) and specify that you would like vegan bread.

Staff is very friendly and attentive during the lunch hours as well. Highly recommend!

Hope to drop in for dinner sometime
Updated from previous review on Friday September 18, 2015

Pros: Tons of options, Friendly staff

Great, vegan-friendly, Indian Eats! - Edit

I had dinner here with my soon-to-be in-laws. One of them found it, and I knew nothing going in, and more often than not...that is cause for concern.
Not this time. This place has tasty Indian food that is truly among the best I've had. I'm used to brightly colored slop, most of which I can't eat because it contains dairy.
This spot has an entire menu of veg/vegan options.
Don't miss out on the jackfruit dish. Amazing treat of a plant that looks and chews like pulled pork or chicken.

Pros: Tasty, Savory, Reasonable Price, Helpful Staff

Cons: Pretty Salty, 40min From Major City

MANGO GROVE RE=OPENED - Edit

Exciting News : Mango Grove has re-opened at 8865, Stanford Blvd, Columbia, MD-21045 after re-modelling the new space at 8865, Stanford Blvd. They opened on Valentines Day and it was a packed house in the evening with live music.
The menu is diverse and has 90% items as vegan. Mango Grove has been a a favorite spot for Vegetarians since 1996 in Columbia.

Very Nice - Edit

I went to the lunchy buffet and was allowed to carry-out. As the buffet is over at 3 PM on Mondays. The selection was nice and the food was very tasty. The staff was kind and attentive. They even brought me fresh naan and dosas prior to me leaving. It was a little difficult to locate the restaurant since I'm not a Columbia native. But now that I know where they are, I will certainly return.

Pros: friendly staff, good prices, nice variety

Cons: hard to locate, odd hours

Don't bother. - Edit

I've eaten at a lot of Indian restaurants all over the U.S and Canada. It's my favorite food. They have 2 separate divided sides to the restaurant. One is meat and the other is Veggie. Very little Vegan. I had a meal, and 2 appetizers. I don't need to ever go back. It's OK at best.

mango grove is great! - Edit

i met up with some friends there and it was my first time. it was very relaxing there, being a buffet. many vegan options. really laid back. clean. oh yeah, ate all i wanted and it was only $8.

Pros: buffet, great food, relaxing

Pleasant Meal - Edit

This review refers to the dinner menu, not the lunch time buffet. I found the menu to be overwhelming in a good way, meaning there are SO many vegetarian and vegan options that my head was spinning! I ended up with a dosai stuffed with potato and onion, and my boyfriend had a coconut curry type veggie dish. Both were super tasty and in large portions. Prices were average for Indian food (generally between $10-15). The atmosphere is pleasant. Staff-wise, I found them helpful and kind but sort of slow to take your order and check in periodically. Overall, it's definitely a nice place, and I will be returning!

Pros: Many yummy veggie and vegan options, Good portion sizes, Nice atmosphere

Cons: Sort of pricey, Slow service

One of my favorite Indian buffets of all time. - Edit

Note - this review is only for the Indian lunch buffet, not the full menu at dinner time, which I haven't tried in several years. Mango Grove is one of my favorite Indian restaurants of all time, and I've eaten in many all over the country. It's also one of my omni husband's favorites, and the many friends and relatives we've brought there have loved the food.

We love the Indian lunch buffet, served every day except Tuesday. (Slightly more expensive on weekends.) The restaurant is 100% vegetarian, and the vast majority of dishes served are vegan, with generally no more than two hot dishes on a single day having dairy in them. (The vegetable korma is never vegan, and on occasion there's a dish with yogurt.) Also be careful about the spinach dish, which has the panir (cheese), about one third of the time. The rest of the time it will be plain or have chana (chickpeas). Unfortunately, the dishes are not always labelled, but you can always ask the helpful staff and they'll let you know what's vegan and what is not.

I've never been to an Indian buffet with a larger rotation of dishes throughout the week and month. My favorites include the lemon rice, yellow dahl, channa masala, and green beans. They also have a good okra/tomato dish. Along with the buffet, they will serve a potato dosa at the table. It's generally entirely too greasy (so I blot it in my placemat), but quite good.

One thing to watch out for at this restaurant: There is a sister Indian/Asian restaurant in the same building as this one where they serve meat. People are allowed to eat at both buffets, and the rule is that no one is allowed to bring meat into Mango Grove. On infrequent occasion, someone will bring meat on their into Mango Grove and then go to the Mango Grove buffet, pouring Mango Grove's sauces onto their plate and touching the utensil to the meat. (I've seen this 2 or 3 times and have probably eaten at the buffet a hundred times.)

Overall however, one of my favorites for the wide variety of delicious vegan food at a reasonable price.

Pros: Delicious vegan food, Wide variety of vegan food, Helpful friendly staff.

Cons: Not organic, Not always well-labelled, See comments about meat from next door.

Return to Columbia Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Mango Grove closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3439 times since Aug 2007.