First Review by peace of her mind

Amazing Experience! - Edit

My dad used to eat here all the time when he worked in Hamilton. He just introduced me to the restaurant today and we had an amazing experience. All of the vegan items were specifically pointed out on the menu which made it a lot easier for us. The portions were a great size and our food was ready in no time. Also.. the food was amazing!!! So delicious. PLUS they had at least 4 or 5 different options for vegan desserts. Everyone was so kind and knew exactly what vegan meant, will definitely be back the next time I'm in Hamilton.

Pros: Very friendly staff, Good portion size, Quick service

Cons: Styrofoam plates and cups

Great food at reasonable prices - Edit

The food here is always good and the portions are amazing for the prices. Service is friendly and they are very happy to answer questions about the menu. I just HATE the Styrofoam cups and plates and plastic utensils. Nothing says I hate the environment like Styrofoam.

Pros: execellent food, friendly service

Cons: styrofoam plates/cups, plastic utensils

yummy take out - Edit

Himalya is really yummy and super affordable! best value in town for quick pick up! i wouldnt recommend eating in as it is really small and kinda awkward, but for take out #1 choice. and the value cant be beat.

Pros: price, value, yumminess

Cons: small, noisy due to size

Fast and Yummy! - Edit

My husband and I, both vegan, have been here once. I myself am an Indian food expert (self proclaimed). I like supporting this restaurant, which is small and family owned and operated. All of the staff are sweet (Of course!) and very helpful. Although this restaurant is vegetarian specific, which I greatly applaud, I'm afraid the food is unremarkable. It tastes good, and soothes cravings, but my experience was somewhat of a let-down. I ordered aloo gobi, channa masala (too much onion, not enough chickpeas!), and samosas.

Pros: Parking, Kind Staff, Prices

The Very Best - Edit

We have been frequenting this restaurant for a number of years. We used to drive from Burlington on a regular basis to pick up food from here but then we moved closer and eat here at least once a week. The family who owns it is very pleasant and the girls who work there are really sweet. The food is amazing. My sister lives in Vancouver and anytime she is home or if we meet her on vacation her only request is that we bring her Himalya samosas! Every party we go to where we need to take something, I always order from here. It is located in a small, starting to look run down plaza but it is clean and fresh and by far my favourite vegetarian restaurant. It's a MUST try. Ask for the Thali if you are unsure what to try first. You can order which spice level you prefer, mild, med, hot which is great because my vegetarian-since-birth kids can eat here ordering mild while I can get it as hot as I like. It's amazing. Love it love it love it! I've just made myself hungry writing about so I guess it's Himalya for lunch today!!

Pros: excellent food, good value, friendly staff

Cons: plaza it's located in is a bit run down

Best Indian vegetarian food in town! - Edit

Himalya is a tiny restaurant with five or six formica tables grouped in an "L" shape around a glass showcase featuring delicious sweetmeats. These can be taken home in beautiful boxes if you choose. They would be wonderful hostess gifts.

Himalya is open 11a.m. - 9p.m. every day of the week except Tuesday. Enjoy the thali lunch of dal, rice, chapati, and two daily offerings for only $5.99 (!) or order a la carte from the separate dishes, e.g., paneer with peas, vegetables Jalfrezi, aloo gobi, etc. Takeout customers stream in to pick up their meals as I enjoy my thali platter. I like the 'small deli' size of the place and enjoy the hot food (temperature-wise) which the metal thali tray ensures. The pleasant counterperson/waitperson will ask if you wish your entrees mild, medium or hot. A large jug of water and glasses are provided at the beginning of the meal.

Take home some samosas, pakoras or sweets. Indian sweetmeats' ingredients often consist of milk, nuts, vegetables and LOTS of sugar. I particularly savour the pistachio-based varieties.

Do eat there. You'll enjoy the hot, delicious food, wonderful breads: puri, paratha, chapati and nan. Make sure you take some snacks home to tide you over till your nex visit. I order quantities of samosas and freeze them as do other members of my vegetarian family. Prices are extraordinarily low considering the excellent quantity and quality of the food served. A gem of a restaurant....

Pros: excellent food, excellent value, friendly, efficient staff

Return to Hamilton Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Himalya closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 4101 times since Aug 2007.