CLOSED: The Greenery Raw Food Cafe

• Vegan

Contact 760-479-0996

133 Daphne St (at Pacific Coast Hwy 101, behind Mozy's), Encinitas, California, USA, 92024

Encinitas vegan raw food cafe. Lunch is deli style where food is displayed in a refrigerated case and you order at the counter. Dinner is a la carte. Sample menu items include raw burger, cream cheese sandwich, pizza, falafel with creamy dill sauce, raw ice cream. Causal and small. No American Express. Reported closed to HappyCow.

Category: Vegan, American, Organic, Take-out, All Raw

First Review by Chia

Solid Raw Food Experience - Edit

I'm a strict vegan, but not really a fan of raw food (the portions tend to be tiny and the prices tend to be high). But each time I have eaten here, I leave very impressed. The pasta/meatballs is delish and I got a big portion (although I hear the portion size varies day-to-day). The seaweed salad has been fabulous every time. The broccoli salad was good and so are the E3 shots. The orange/coconut juice was WOW!! The only bad experience was with their Marinated Greens...so ridiculously bitter that the dish was completely inedible. Really. I can usually eat anything, but I had to toss those bitter greens. I'm hoping it was just a one-time fluke.

Prices are steep, but that is the case at any raw food restaurant in California. However, if they offered a "value menu" I would eat there a few times per week!!

Bonus: the decor is simple but they have an adorable patio. And all the employees have been super nice to me during every visit.

Pros: Local, original business, Artfully prepared dishes, Cute atmosphere

Cons: Closed Sundays, Closed mid-day, Steep prices

lovely lunch - Edit

My daughter and I had lunch at Greenery today while visiting Encinitas. We'd never been, so I wanted to try a bit of everything. Between us we had an orange-creamsicle drink, a gingery drink, a burger (complete with dehydrated "bun" and sesame seeds), lasagna (macadamia nut cheese and tomato sauce layered with paper-thin zucchini), and pumpkin pie. Her favorite was the orange-creamsicle drink while mine was the lasagna (that macadamia cheese was out of this world). I wasn't disappointed by anything we had. The pumpkin pie tasted far more like actual pumpkin than any cooked pie I've had - it was nice to have a little treat without too much sugar.

It was really peaceful having a slow, unhurried lunch out on the lush green patio, and the woman behind the counter couldn't have been nicer. I was told all the plastic that the lunch items were in is made from sugarcane or corn, and there's a compost can for recycling them. (The only things that went in the trash were napkins.)

Pros: peaceful, eco-friendly, delicious and healthy food

Cons: a little pricey (but worth it)

Pleasant Space - Rich Food - Edit

Was here in October 07. The cafe is located just behind Mozy's off the main road, so look for it.

We came during the lunch hour, and it was counter service only (table service is at dinner time). We helped ourself to food that was kept inside clear containers in a refrigerator. Lunch food is prepared each morning and laid out in the fridge. On the day we went the selection included raw veggie burger, cream cheese sandwich, pesto zuccini pasta, a couple savory appetizers, chai flavored pie, and a mixed fruit drink.

There were small tables inside and out in the quiet courtyard. We sat outside and enjoyed ourself. Recycling bins were provided fo the disposable utensils we used.

Nice little cafe with very good raw food... Just because all the food is raw food doesn't mean it can't be rich or decadent! Go if you are in the area.

Pros: hand made food, healthy, good vibes

Return to Encinitas Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: The Greenery Raw Food Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 549 times since Aug 2007.