The Grain Cafe

Contact 323-931-4034

4222 W Pico Blvd (at Crenshaw, Mid-City), Los Angeles, California, USA, 90019

Little cafe in a strip mall with lot parking. Makes vegan food using salad greens, tempeh, vegan Daiya cheese. Has quesadilla appetizers, personal size pizzas, sandwiches, wraps, salads, breakfast crepes, cakes, and a large drinks menu. Opened in spring 2013 by former staff of Golden Mean vegan cafe (not affiliated). Free Wi-Fi. Open Mon-Thu 6:00am-10:00pm, Fri-Sat 6:00am-11:00pm, Sun 7:00am-10:00pm.

Category: Vegan, American, Organic, Delivery, Take-out, Mexican, Fusion

First Review by AJ_Foodie

Perfect Macro plate - Edit

Amazing vegan food and very friendly service. I loved the grain plate with the perfect balance of ingredients inspired on macrobiotic principles. Since Seed bistro closed I wanted to find a good place with macrobiotic food. I'm glad I ran into the Grain Cafe since their macro offering is very good. Besides the macro plate, the club sandwich, juices, smoothies and raw truffles are delicious.

Pros: Food, Customer service

great find - Edit

This small restaurant is a great find. I had the falafel wrap which was huge and a good price. The staff was very friendly and food is organic and fresh.

Pros: organic , vegan, friendly staff

Cons: location

Amazing food! - Edit

The food here is delicious, especially the tempeh Reuben.
Great atmosphere. Staff were super helpful and friendly (one let us use her personal phone to make a call)
Highly recommend

Pros: amazing tempeh, friendly staff, coconut milk can be requested

Cons: the sides that come with the sandwiches weren't gr, tofu scrambled could be improved

dont judge a book by its cover - Edit

First of all... I was in town for work and drove here at 8am. Looks like it is in a sketchy area (again im not from here so i dont know the area) the reviews were too good to pass up. Im so glad that i did not. The food was amazing! I wanted to try everything.

I had the grain...pancakes, tofu eggs, hashbrowns, and vegan sausage. It was great. I left full and happy! 100% recommend this place.

Pros: friendly staff , many delicious sounding options, they have gluten free, nut free, and soy free opti

Cons: the area is a bit intimidating looking

A hidden gem - Edit

Don't let the terrible art on the wall fool you! The food is as good as those two pieces of art are hideous. Just keep your eyes on your plate and you'll be okay! Super friendly staff, delicious burritos, wraps, sandwiches and salads, and you must order the mint lemonade to wash it all down.

Pros: Casual, Affordable, Delicious

crepes! - Edit

We stopped in with another couple for an early dinner. The menu is fairly large, so it took us awhile to make decisions, but the server was very friendly and patient. We settled on the reuben sandwich, grain salad, tuna melt and patty crepe for entrees. We shared the chocolate mousse crepe and blueberry bar for dessert. The salad was excellent with kale, tempeh and quinoa. The reuben was decent as was the melt. The desserts were very tasty. I'm very happy to know that I can find savory or sweet crepes here and plan to come back for those.

Pros: savory or sweet crepes, friendly staff, large menu

Great Little Vegan Café - Edit

I had the tempeh salad and the grain burger. The salad was good, but the burger really knocked my socks off.

The staff were friendly and i introduced them to their Happy Cow page which they hadn't seen before.

A really cool place. Totally recommended.

Pros: Inexpesive, Good food, Friendly staff

Great Place - Edit

First time there, we came for breakfast and they open at 8am on Sunday. We had Tofu Scramble with mushrooms and kale, and Huevos con Chorizo. Cafe de olla was great too! Everything tasted fresh and yummy. We will be back for sure.
Updated from previous review on Sunday April 13, 2014

Pros: Fresh, good food, Friendly service

best ever - Edit

Absolutely most amazing food. Great people. Very friendly. About 100 times better than anything you might compare it with. Best vegan hole in the wall in LA, outstanding, surprising, excellent. A rare find.

Love this place - Edit

I absolutely love this place. Grain Cafe has some of the best vegan comfort food I've ever had. Burritos, pizza, sandwiches, crepes, you name it. It all tastes amazing.

My favorite part though is the home made lemonade. They mix it with fresh strawberries. Sometimes they mix it with blueberries. It's seriously the best lemonade you will ever have.

The deserts are just as good. My favorite so far is the strawberry cake. Vanilla cake with pieces of strawberries and strawberry frosting.

One of the reviewers below said that the menu was "stolen". I'm not sure about that. All of the items are pretty standard (burritos, pizza, bagel sandwiches, scrambled tofu, etc). There's tons of restaurants with these same items. Grain Cafe is exceptionally good though.

The portions are also tremendous. I've gone home with leftovers plenty of times.

My dad isn't a vegan, but he's dined out at a ton of vegan restaurants with me. He claims that Grain Cafe is the best vegan restaurant he's been too. That's coming from a meat-eater.
Updated from previous review on Tuesday September 10, 2013

Pros: Some of the best vegan comfort-food, Friendly staff, Great decor inside

Food tastes good - Edit

I read about this place on happycow and decided to come by and try it out. Here's my Grain Cafe review.

It's located in Mid-City in an area where one would not expect vegan and natural food. Mostly here you see auto shops, paycheck cash advance shops, Mexican fast food, Korean stores.

The cafe is small and basic with a handful of tables for seating inside. You order food at the counter or seat yourself and a staff will come by to take your order. On the day we went there were several other customers dining here.

The menu is typical of what I would expect from a Westside vegan cafe--I hear that the owner at Grain Cafe used to work in the Golden Means Vegan Cafe kitchen and is applying most of what he learned there here. Vegan cheese in sandwiches, pizza, quesadilla; colorful salads; coffee drinks with almond and soymilk.

My friend and I shared:
- Rueben sandwich which came with a side salad. The tempeh inside was marinated in a dark savory sauce and very tender, combined well with vegan cheese and sauerkraut. Delicious. $7.50
- Deluxe burger which also came with a side salad. Grain patty with vegan cheese, smoked tempeh bacon, and greens. The flavor was good, though my bacon was a bit burnt. $8.50
- Slice of coconut cake. Yummy. $5

A woman next to us got a cobb salad that looked quite fantastic. Another woman got waffles. Another got the club sandwich. A man had a curry chicken salad. All looked appetizing.

Overall our food tasted good. Portion is fair though I did still feel a bit hungry shortly after. I would definitely return to try the other dishes the next time I come to the area.

Pros: tasty food, kitchen knows what it's doing

Cons: ventilation could be better

ALL RECIPES ARE STOLEN< BAD KARMA! I was far away from home and happy to see the word organic I popped in- cash only- okay be right back! Got my cash I noticed the guy in the back and girl in the front were so familiar, they used to work at GOLDEN MEAN in Santa Monica where my friend used to work! Then I see the menu! O M G! They stole the whole menus and the recipes:-0 Bad taste in my mouth already! But I was starving! Got the chic club! Looked just like the original at Golden Mean, tasted The same! Word to the owner make sure your stuff is fresh! Above was my review on Yelp, to which I go I got a VERY rude and nasty comment form the owners. [Original review edited by staff - see ToS]

Return to Los Angeles Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Grain Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 5306 times since Apr 2013.