Pizza
Juice bar
Beer/Wine
Take-out
British

Vegan cafe serving home-style cooked meals such as pizzas, burgers, sandwiches, jacket potatoes, nachos, cauliflower wings, and Buddha bowls. Also has milkshakes. Children's menu available. Est. Aug 2019. Reported closed October 2023.

Venue map for The Eating Gorilla
© OpenStreetMap contributors

First Review by LesleyTarleton

hannahmul

Points +158

21 Sep 2023

Unreal level of amazing!

I genuinely can’t recommend this place enough. Do not go to this area without a visit! Even if you can only fit in some cauliflower wings and some corn wings, they will be the best you’ve ever had. The kebab was divine too and we’ve been eagerly counting the days until we can go back for dinner!! Going on Friday and Saturday this week haha! The people are also so lovely.

Pros: Best food ever, Reasonable prices, Full vegan menu

ffigan

Points +1159

10 Sep 2023

Phenomenal. A Must Visit for Vegans in North Wales!

I absolutely adore this place. As this is my local vegan spot, I have eaten here multiple times and regularly benefit from their loyalty cards. For visitors, there is ample on-street parking, and there is also a free car park down the street. The cafe is bright and spacious with plenty of seating, and they even have a bookshelf stuffed with books on veganism and vegan cooking. All staff members have been consistently welcoming and attentive whilst visiting, and service has been available in both the Welsh and English languages. They offer take-away options in addition to dining in, and I have taken multiple portions of their Cauliflower Wings and fresh cakes to go, including Cheezecakes, Raspberry Bakewells, Cookies, Jaffa Cakes, Flapjacks and Brownies.

The menu has a wide range of choices and is reasonably priced. They offer hot and cold drinks, including soft and alcohol options, with my personal favourites being the Summer Specials options of the Iced Latte and the Iced 'Hot' Chocolate. The food is fresh and really delicious, and their portions are generous. I haven't tried all their dishes yet, but so far, my favourites have been the Mushroom á la Mariniere, the Chicken and Avacado Burger, Onion Bhaji Dippers, and the Homemade Summer Pea and Mint Soup. They also regularly run specials and consistently mix it up with the options of fresh cakes, resulting in there always being something new and interesting to try. A small fraction of some of their dishes are donated to The Pole Pole Foundation, and a donation can be separately made to the foundation if your dish is not one of the listed donating options. POPOF protects Eastern lowland gorillas in the Democratic Republic of Congo, and further information about the foundation can be found on The Eating Gorilla's website and in the restaurant itself. Some small vegan gifts are available to purchase by the till, including eco-friendly soaps, plant-based dog treats, and vegan themed cards. In addition to this, the restaurant also has their own merch, including t-shirts, hoodies, and tote bags, and although I don't own one yet, l do plan on getting a t-shirt.

The Eating Gorilla is really special, and I highly recommend it to anyone who is in the area. Vegans are certain to really appreciate and enjoy the experience as they can relax, knowing the restaurant shares their principles and that the food and service will both be fantastic!

Pros: All Vegan, Great Food and Choices, Eco-Consious and Donates to Chairty

LoveThisPlanet

Points +46

09 Sep 2023

Great place!

I visited twice in April when staying nearby. The staff were lovely & there was a good choice & I had two tasty meals. The main meal portions are big! There are lovely cakes too.

I was able to take away a few items too, such as a delicious cheesecake, a vegan pancake mix, vegan chocolate and a small bottle of Dirty Cow, which was great.

I'm happy to eat "fake meat" but for those who aren't they may find their choice a bit more limited.

Pros: Lovely venue, Friendly staff, Tasty food

Frankie85

Points +482

06 Sep 2023

Apprehensive....

We were a little apprehensive about this one. It looked too good to be true from the reviews and the menu didn't particularly catch our eyes at first glance.

We walked in and were greeted with a smile. Our food and drinks came quickly and were delicious. I even managed to get an ice cold, alcohol free IPA which was a godsend on this 28c day.

The cafe was bustling and we enjoyed looking at the up to date vegan cook books. Kudos for two gender neutral toilets too.

We had alcohol free IPA, iced hot chocolate and cream, fish finger tacos, naanwhich and corn ribs. I loved the tikka spiced chicken and the ribs were the best I've ever had. (Well done on getting flavour to stick to those bad boys.)

Took away a carrot cake and a bannoffe tart type thing and ate them on the road. (Sorry no pictures.) Just mouthwateringly moreish.

Excellent little lunch spot with attentive staff and well deserving of a five star review.

We'll be back!

Pros: Gender neutral toilets , Good variety on the menu, Flavour packed dishes

Cons: Too much raw red onion in the salad, Taco needed a spicy sauce dressing , I didn't have room for pudding 😂

JasmineWomack

Updated from previous review on 2023-09-02

HaraldSchlindwein

Points +68

23 Aug 2023

Welsh gem, festival for your taste buds

Great range of dishes and drinks as well. Lovely staff but the start is the food. Full of flavours and very good portions, you won't leave hungry!

Pros: Flavour, flavour, flavour , Range of dishes, Good portions and reasonable prices

Link246

Points +74

09 Aug 2023

Amazing vegan food in an unexpected place

We have had some trouble finding vegan places in Wales, but the Eating Gorilla made it all better. They have a nice varied menu, with some lovely traditional dishes. Staff is really nice, take their time for you. Portions were good and food very flavourful. Sell some really nice pastries and deserts as well. A must-visit if you are -even remotely- in the area. Do not be fooled by the simple interior.

Pros: Hidden gem, Great options, Good portions, very reasonably priced

gearsforqueers

Points +1581

06 Aug 2023

Incredible!

Lovely little cafe in a small town. The food was cooked with care and tasted amazing! The cauliflower wings in particular were out of this world (would travel again just to eat them!)

Edit: We went back and the food was still incredible! One of our highlights (other than the cauli wings) was the parm fries. Also the fresh cream scone!

Updated from previous review on 2021-08-11

iwalram

Points +16

04 Aug 2023

Amazing food!

We came across this place whilst visiting relatives in North Wales and have been back many times since. The staff are so welcoming and the food is amazing. Totally Vegan and they raise money to help support Gorillas in the wild.

Pros: Friendly welcome, Amazing food with great variety, Not too expensive

Cons: Should be more places like this

TomaTiminskaite

Points +67

21 Jul 2023

Fabulous place! 100% vegan and dog friendly too.

Fabulous cafe/restaurant for vegans and omnivores. More than lived up to our expectations- so many different options, portions are huge, food full of flavour and prepared with so much passion and care. You wouldn’t know it’s vegan. It was lovely to see some top rated ethical suppliers they work with too - denzel, karma cola, Drop bear beer etc. Highly recommend. Oh and don’t forget the cakes - cheezcake was to die for! 😋

Pros: Food prepared with so much love and passion , Dogs are welcome and loved , Fabulous, relaxed, friendly atmosphere

kayeD

Points +16

09 Jul 2023

A little vegan gem

Lovely choice of food, very tasty as usual and friendly helpful staff

veganallergymum

Points +61

08 Jul 2023

Great food and vibe

Went here for late lunch w the family.
We had: the gorilla burger, kebab, fish tacos, sweetcorn ribs and onion rings. They also make an adapted burger for my wee one. And that’s not even covering the puddings 🤩

Pros: Great menu, Delicious food , Nice atmosphere

thesunrisedreamers

Points +453

amazing menu!

It took me so long to figure out what to eat here as the menu is so good! We were on a hiking and camping trip and made the effort to come to this place and it was worth it😄the cauliflower wings looked amazing but we went for the Buddha bowl and pie :)

Pros: All vegan, Vegan bakery

george_f

Points +23

Fantastic place

Food was great, tons of stuff on the menu

Pros: Nice food, Varied menu, Friendly staff

BeckyL91

Points +69

06 Jul 2023

Delicious food with fantastic choice!

We just managed to visit here at the end of our holiday in April and were so glad we did! Absolutely delicious food, our only problem was deciding what to have!! We eventually chose to share the bbq cauliflower wings, I had the Save Our Seas burger and my husband had the Blue Cheese and Mushroom burger. We had some yummy cake to take home too!

The service was great with very friendly staff and I also love that they are involved in charity work to help endangered Gorillas.

We will definitely be back again next time we visit Wales, I wish we lived closer to visit more regularly 🦍

Pros: Great choice, Delicious food, Good service

mattthegrayt

Points +257

27 Jun 2023

Fantastic food wish I lived closer

Really enjoyed our trip to the Eating Gorilla. It had been recommended to us so we visited while camping about 40 mins away and really glad we did! Lots of choice on the menu and really nice staff. We had the fish tacos and the tikka naanwich. Both were excellent and we also had fries and cauliflower wings which were brilliant. Kombucha and biscoff shake as drinks and the donut that came with the shake was delicious. Will definitely be going back.

Pros: Food, Staff, Value

EmilyBingham

Points +36

24 Jun 2023

Amazing vegan restaurant

What an amazing place to find as a vegan. So many options, lovely staff and delicious food. Can't recommend enough!

Pros: All vegan restaurant, Generous portions, Delicious food

cmhwak

Points +2275

22 Jun 2023

🤤🤤🤤

What is left to say? Just delicious food! Especially the desserts convinced me! Warm cookie dough with melting chocolate and vanille icecream topped with hazelnuts? So sad (or good) I don't live around the corner!!! Not just a cookie,it is real dough,yummy cookie dough,just awesome.and this strawberry cheesecake-to die for!So happy we made it there on our last day in North Wales and their first day after a week off-what luck! They are also very dog-friendly,have treats for them and other nice dry goods to sell.

Hcb504

Points +325

02 Jun 2023

Fab food!

As good as the previous reviews suggested! We had one each of the fruit smoothies, the Greek kebab and the tikka naanwich off their specials menu. Everything lived up to expectations, great flavours, reasonable prices. Lovely looking cakes at the counter too. Would definitely come here again if we were passing.

darrenb

Points +1126

29 May 2023

Top food, fab place

Plenty of choice. Absolutely delicious food. Very friendly and helpful staff. Gluten free options too. Deffo recommend. Oh and they do a biscoff sandwich which is amazing.

Updated from previous review on 2023-05-29

Pros: Super tasty, Lovely staff, Top merchandise

Cons: Predominantly junk food

chp

Points +3094

27 May 2023

Great food. Not so great service.

Visited when last on holiday in the area and was super excited to try one of the only vegan eateries in the area. Lot of options naturally and between my wife and I we got a good selection of dishes. Really nice flavour combinations so good job there.

Experience was let down purely by service. The place wasn’t that busy - front was about half full, and we were seated in the rear. We then got… forgotten about. Did go to hunt someone down and they said they’d be along to take our order and when they finally showed up (showing another couple to a table in the same area) they then immediately took their order, walked off and returned a few mins later to take ours. Food arrived quite quickly for that other table and ours was a while longer.

Huge deal in scheme of things? No. But.. when you work in a service industry, doesn’t hurt to serve people in order or forget customers are sat in the back!

Pros: Fully vegan so loads of options, Food tastes great, Prices are ok

Cons: Service

veganamyv

Points +317

20 May 2023

The best in the area

Me and my boyfriend have been coming to this restaurant for a few years and you do feel like it’s a real treat when you go. Their food is delicious, from their cauliflower starters to their mains and their delicious, varied desserts. YUM 😋

gemgiraf

Points +267

20 May 2023

Super tasty vegan food - a real treat

We stopped here last year while on holiday. The food was gorgeous and the staff very friendly. We loved it so much we stopped again on our way home for takeaway

ChervonneShennan

Points +134

19 May 2023

Amazing healthy and tastyyyy

The selection was sooo good, fresh and tasty ingredients and the staff are lovely too

Pros: Massive choice, all vegan, Healthy, Amazing cake selection

Cymraes.GogleddCymru

Points +20

13 May 2023

Never disappointed

I've had takeaway lunch and meals in at the Eating Gorilla and all have been excellent. Tasty food and good portions. Staff very friendly. They prefer to be paid by cash but will accept cards. I live an hours drive away and make an effort to go as much as I can.

Pros: 100% vegan

Nic_vegan

Points +24

13 May 2023

Excellent

Over all the tastiest cauliflower bites we have ever ever had. I also had the specials ch!cken tikka mango chutney and chips. My partner had the ch!cken burger and wedges.

Pros: Taste , Variety , Welcoming

Cons: Non

Jenzibar

Points +543

18 Apr 2023

Cute cafe stop

We stopped in here after a visit to Portmeirion and were not disappointed. We especially loved the cauliflower wings and the colourful chai lattes. The place was packed when we visited so we were lucky to get a table. Lovely to see a vegan business thriving in such a small village